• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiro

You wont get a good phone for that price per month. Zoomer has a $40 plan that gives you a free phone but its a beater. My wife has it.

That's what I figured. My plan is a legacy plan from Wind (back in 2011) so it's a really good $40 plan to stick with. I guess I'll just buy a new phone with them whenever the time comes.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
You wont get a good phone for that price per month. Zoomer has a $40 plan that gives you a free phone but its a beater. My wife has it.

Guys, get a cheap chinese phone (I like Xiaomi, but there are other brands too). The price difference is crazy compared to what you get with phone plans.

krae_man

Are there any phone plans out there around 40-45 bucks a month where I get a phone included in a contract? Freedom is making me pay the phone outright or increase my monthly bill to 80 dollars.

Maybe I miss the old days. 80 dollars a month for a phone plan is crazy, paying $1000 for a new phone is crazy. Maybe I should look at getting a new unlocked phone. I have a Galaxy S4, so any upgrade would be a good upgrade.

Some phones with Freedom have some subsidy in them. Don't expect more then about $200 off the price of the phone for those(some are more then that, but that's due to the phones being older and subsidies get increased instead of the list price dropping). If you're expecting to get a $1000 off a Note 8 and still only pay $40/month, you're nuts.

Guys, get a cheap chinese phone (I like Xiaomi, but there are other brands too). The price difference is crazy compared to what you get with phone plans.

He won't get LTE that way with Freedom.

Also Kiro, upgrade to LTE. If they do another triple data flash sale, get the $40 LTE plan. You might need to talk to retention to get it though. I didn't, but others have.

Changed my mind on the Xbox One X. I’m thinking of playing a wait and see on this one until there is enough titles out there that show a real reason to upgrade and holding on to my Launch unit. I’ll more than likely be going back and cancelling all of my double orders that I created on amazon at E3 and hanging onto my PS4 versions. I’m pretty happy with my Pro for multi-console stuff and I have difficulty believing there’ll be that much of a difference at least in those games on a 1080p display. It’s also the first year that I didn’t bother with a Forza pre-order. Guess I’m getting a bit more choosy about this stuff. Of course I’m reserving the right to go into EB on a whim on release day if they have any units LOL.

Changed my mind on the Xbox One X. I’m thinking of playing a wait and see on this one until there is enough titles out there that show a real reason to upgrade and holding on to my Launch unit. I’ll more than likely be going back and cancelling all of my double orders that I created on amazon at E3 and hanging onto my PS4 versions. I’m pretty happy with my Pro for multi-console stuff and I have difficulty believing there’ll be that much of a difference at least in those games on a 1080p display. It’s also the first year that I didn’t bother with a Forza pre-order. Guess I’m getting a bit more choosy about this stuff. Of course I’m reserving the right to go into EB on a whim on release day if they have any units LOL.

Good analysis. Pro support has been "meh" at best so I am taking a wait and see as to whether games get a noticeable performance boost with the X. Solid ports of PUBG, third party franchises, and future MS exclusives (hello Halo 6 where are you???) will go a long way. Framerate dips below 30 fps are unacceptable when we're talking about $650+ console.

joe_zazen

Good analysis. Pro support has been "meh" at best so I am taking a wait and see as to whether games get a noticeable performance boost with the X. Solid ports of PUBG, third party franchises, and future MS exclusives (hello Halo 6 where are you???) will go a long way. Framerate dips below 30 fps are unacceptable when we're talking about $650+ console.

It is a good chunk of change for a console 4 years into the cycle, that is for sure.

I have a pro and I don't actually know why. I mean it is fine and all, but I don't enjoy games any more on it than I did on my old slow PC or Wii U. I think I'm a pleb because I'm happy as long as whatever I'm playing is ≥ 30fps and 900p. Actually I take that back because I've really liked some 3ds games, so 240p is my threshold, lol.

Kiro

Some phones with Freedom have some subsidy in them. Don't expect more then about $200 off the price of the phone for those(some are more then that, but that's due to the phones being older and subsidies get increased instead of the list price dropping). If you're expecting to get a $1000 off a Note 8 and still only pay $40/month, you're nuts.

He won't get LTE that way with Freedom.

Also Kiro, upgrade to LTE. If they do another triple data flash sale, get the $40 LTE plan. You might need to talk to retention to get it though. I didn't, but others have.

I pay $40 a month right now and have 5GB of Full-Speed data (which I think is LTE), and infinite data after that. I also have infinite everything else. It's a really good deal.

krae_man

I pay $40 a month right now and have 5GB of Full-Speed data (which I think is LTE), and infinite data after that. I also have infinite everything else. It's a really good deal.

If you've had the plan since 2011, it's not LTE. You need a LTE plan to get LTE.

The current 2gb $40 LTE plan is everything your old plan had(unlimited calling, texting, voicemail, etc) and the only difference is data is LTE and the cap is 2gb, but when they do a triple data flash sale and bump it to 6gb, it's a no brainer.

Kiro

If you've had the plan since 2011, it's not LTE. You need a LTE plan to get LTE.

The current 2gb $40 LTE plan is everything your old plan had(unlimited calling, texting, voicemail, etc) and the only difference is data is LTE and the cap is 2gb, but when they do a triple data flash sale and bump it to 6gb, it's a no brainer.

True, but I am on 4G network either way. When do they often do those flash sales? I also don't have an LTE ready phone (SG4 currently)

krae_man

True, but I am on 4G network either way. When do they often do those flash sales? I also don't have an LTE ready phone (SG4 currently)

Lately it's been Friday to Monday every Friday like clockwork.

Yes you will need a phone with band 66(unless you live in Ottawa) to use LTE, but you can always have the plan already for when you finally decide to buy one if you're not ready to buy a phone on Friday.

Kiro

Yes you will need a phone with band 66(unless you live in Ottawa) to use LTE, but you can always have the plan already for when you finally decide to buy one if you're not ready to buy a phone on Friday.

I live in Ottawa. Does that help my case or worsen it? haha

Riptwo

Just as a warning, it seems that band 66 capable devices that *aren't* sold directly by Freedom (i.e. the new iPhones and Oneplus devices) require a reboot every time a call is received to reconnect to LTE. Sounds like they may not be properly supporting the standard, which is pretty sketchy.

Just as a warning, it seems that band 66 capable devices that *aren't* sold directly by Freedom (i.e. the new iPhones and Oneplus devices) require a reboot every time a call is received to reconnect to LTE. Sounds like they may not be properly supporting the standard, which is pretty sketchy.

I can verify this. I have a Oneplus 5 and have trouble staying on LTE. In practice, the issue is less predictable--for example, I've been able to reconnect to LTE after taking a call (though it definitely does knock you off LTE when a call comes in), and I've been kicked off LTE without getting or placing a call. Sometimes I get kicked off of LTE within minutes, and other times I can go hours before it happens. Now that I know to look for it, it's relatively easy to see that I'm not on 4G/LTE and toggle airplane mode on and off to get on, but it is a pain in the ass and something I feel I shouldn't have to do, given how many hoops I've already jumped through just to get on LTE in the first place.

It doesn't help that the 3G/HSPDA network is now so bad that about half the time, if I'm kicked down to 3G/3.5G, it's effectively the same as having no connection at all.

slasj

Neo Member

Are you me? I basically could have wrote exactly what you did after thinking about getting a Xbox One X preorder today...time to cancel my double Amazon orders.

Cactus

Banned
I can verify this. I have a Oneplus 5 and have trouble staying on LTE. In practice, the issue is less predictable--for example, I've been able to reconnect to LTE after taking a call (though it definitely does knock you off LTE when a call comes in), and I've been kicked off LTE without getting or placing a call. Sometimes I get kicked off of LTE within minutes, and other times I can go hours before it happens. Now that I know to look for it, it's relatively easy to see that I'm not on 4G/LTE and toggle airplane mode on and off to get on, but it is a pain in the ass and something I feel I shouldn't have to do, given how many hoops I've already jumped through just to get on LTE in the first place.

It doesn't help that the 3G/HSPDA network is now so bad that about half the time, if I'm kicked down to 3G/3.5G, it's effectively the same as having no connection at all.

Does toggling airplane mode on and off reconnect you to LTE every time?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Someone was asking how the new Dishonored is.

Well Im half way through the game after 6 hours and its been fantastic so far. Another awesome game from Arkane, I love these expansion sized budget games.

10 hours seems to be the average playtime for people and you can replay with the abilities from Dishonored 2 which adds some replay. Not a bad proposition for $40.

Regarding Xbox One X, I missed out on a Scorpio edition last month, so I'm glad I was able to at least scoop up a standard edition preorder.

Qwyjibo

Ehhhh, major 1st world problem here. I have $385 credit just sitting with EB and nothing to really spend it on. I bought a Xbox One S mainly for the UHD player (but obviously I play some games on it) but not sure if "upgrading" to a One X is worth it when I play most things on PC.

I think I'll wait for maybe a trade in promo when it actually releases. Or just sit on it until 2019 for a New Switch XL Lite Whatever.

kevin1025

Banned
Ehhhh, major 1st world problem here. I have $385 credit just sitting with EB and nothing to really spend it on. I bought a Xbox One S mainly for the UHD player (but obviously I play some games on it) but not sure if "upgrading" to a One X is worth it when I play most things on PC.

I think I'll wait for maybe a trade in promo when it actually releases. Or just sit on it until 2019 for a New Switch XL Lite Whatever.

Invest in Steam bucks for the winter sale! You can buy everything with that much credit, haha.

superbad

Have any of you guys ever returned a collector's edition title (or any that comes with bonus items in-box) to EB under the EDGE Satisfaction Guarantee? Do they allow it?

I'm finished with Samus Returns and I have the Special Edition. Tried throwing it on Kijiji for $50 and I've had zero bites. The CD is still sealed.

Have any of you guys ever returned a collector's edition title (or any that comes with bonus items in-box) to EB under the EDGE Satisfaction Guarantee? Do they allow it?

I'm finished with Samus Returns and I have the Special Edition. Tried throwing it on Kijiji for $50 and I've had zero bites. The CD is still sealed.

I can empathize, I returned the metroid amiibos after realizing that the amiibos cost the same as the game itself. Ridiculous. Even traded Destiny 2 back in despite enjoying it, as I am so done with micro transactions. Enough is enough.

They'll take back the collector edition as long as everything is included. Not sure about sealed, but that is certainly a plus. The fine print says some conditions apply so keep it mint to be safe.

For some reason they process satisfaction guarantees way faster than trade ins.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

I dont see why not. They probably resell it as used anyway.

kennah

In Montreal for a couple months for work. I've done the big art galleries, biodome, climbed the mount. What other stuff should I go do? Any gaf meet ups in the works or whatever?

In Montreal for a couple months for work. I've done the big art galleries, biodome, climbed the mount. What other stuff should I go do? Any gaf meet ups in the works or whatever?

Find a cool retro game store and let me know what it is because lord knows I can barely find any in the city.

tsundoku

Thought Gravity Rush 2 to woulda dropped down to $30 by now, taking way longer than I expected.

it only sold like 80,000 copies
Its basically never going to drop.

Look at it this way. if you really really really really absurdly loved Gravity Rush 1, it will deliver a similar level of higher highs, and significantly lower lows, over a much more extended period because its a longer game. but if you hated anything about GR 1 don't bother. It actively makes the first game WORSE by taking story elements that were left up in the air / or left to be explained by the sequel and dropping the fucking ball hard.

There was an amazing retro games place in Montreal I went to in 2009, in the underground city. Sadly when I went back a couple years ago it was gone. :( They had a TON of classic games and even obscure/imported merchandise. I wish I could remember the name of it. I think it might've even been just "(something) GAMES" and their logo was in colourful lettering.

Hazu

Finally found two copies of Guitar Hero Live for 4$!

Can't believe people are scalping that thing right now.. that's just ridiculous.

Ryde3

mVTgr9am.png

Stopped by a new retro store in North York (2060 Sheppard Ave. E, between the 404 and Victoria Park) today. I hung around and talked with one of the co-owners for a good long while and just shot the shit. He told me they've been open for 5 weeks. They have retro games as well as retro toys, it's a cool little shop. While I was there a couple of young teens stopped by and Matt let them play some games. One played Super Mario All-Stars on the CRT he has sitting on the display case and he even pulled out another TV and grabbed a fat PS3 off the shelf and played a few matches of BlazBlue: Continuum Shift against the other one. Anyone in the area should check it out.

https://www.retroquest.ca/

Before anyone asks, I have nothing to do with the store and get nothing for mentioning them. Just sharing another cool spot like someone else did with Retro Game Bros a while back (thanks whoever that was). I love having these shops near me.

Oh this is right by me, I'm going to check them out! Thanks.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member

Find a cool retro game store and let me know what it is because lord knows I can barely find any in the city.
If you're into retro gaming, the barcade on St-Denis (Arcade Mtl) is really nice.

There was an amazing retro games place in Montreal I went to in 2009, in the underground city. Sadly when I went back a couple years ago it was gone. :( They had a TON of classic games and even obscure/imported merchandise. I wish I could remember the name of it. I think it might've even been just "(something) GAMES" and their logo was in colourful lettering.

The name escapes me right now (edit: Game Buzz) but yeah they also had stores in Rockland and Fairview mall. Some great stuff but MASSIVELY overpriced.

If you're into retro gaming, the barcade on St-Denis (Arcade Mtl) is really nice.

Foonzo off of St. Catherine is also really cool. They have a bunch of retro consoles set up and you give them your ID then pick a system and rent out games to play while you drink. There's also arcade machines and board games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom