• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I completely forgot you have to pay to play online on consoles

If you guys don't realize the entire premise of this thread was a troll concern thread. (I.e. he "forgot" that you had to pay to play online) and he was being insincere.......then ok. Carry on.
If you removed that they forgot from this thread everyone of the criticisms would still be valid. The forgetting part is the least important part of this thread, but it’s the part you’re hyperfixated on because it’s the part you can easily poke holes in, even though those holes serve nothing except for feeding your sense of superiority and hopefully getting some “detective GAF strikes again” kudos

Kenai

This thread reminded me how worried I am about how Nintendo is gonna handle online with things like Pokemon going forward. Really hope I won't have to pay just to do stuff like that.

PC gaming has really spoiled me. I think it's possible for the console makers to do an online service that appeals to me enough to pay for it, but it just hasn't happened yet. Pretty much all my gaming on them will be single player as a result.

WillyFive

If you guys don't realize the entire premise of this thread was a troll concern thread. (I.e. he "forgot" that you had to pay to play online) and he was being insincere.......then ok. Carry on.

If you don't play on consoles and are used to how things work on a different platform; it's entirely normal to forget about something you don't have to worry about whatsoever.

gelf

I realized the same when I started playing Bloodborne and realized I would miss all the online part of the game for not paying the subscription.

It's a bit ironic playing on hardware specifically designed for gaming requires you to pay to get access to online gaming, while other general use devices like phones and PCs offer the same and more for free.
Yeah this bothered me when I came to play Bloodborne too. I didn't initially consider that I would have to pay just to get the messages from other players, that was a disappointment.

You absolutely can temporarily forget that online pay walls are a thing if you use the functions rarely and are used to other systems that don't use them.

Endy MacK

I've been a plus subscriber since day one. I subscribe for the 6 free games per month (I have all three systems). For me, the value proposition is insane.

If you don't play on consoles and are used to how things work on a different platform; it's entirely normal to forget about something you don't have to worry about whatsoever.
This. I regularly forget about online paywalls because I don't really care a lot for online multiplayer in the first place. Add my preference for PC and you get the following: if I wanted to play an online game (beep!) on a console (beep!) I would likely have to spend money on the subscription (beep!), but why would I care about that when it's past two beeps?

Which reminds me, what is the status of games with level editors? Community content is a positive, my favourite part of PC in fact.

I haven't renewed my PSN-Plus for about almost a year or whenever Titanfall 2 was released. I liked that MP, but I just can't see myself paying all that money just to play online.
Something which was free back in the days.
They can also keep their lame games and indie-shit nobody cares about. Except for probably Sony itself to somehow justify PSN-Plus.

MazeHaze

Banned
How is saying paying for online sucks a concern troll? Paying for online does suck, and OP totally has a valid point.

They have to make up the losses on hardware somehow. My friend bought a brand new XB1S this weekend for $200 at Walmart and there's no way that Xbox would stay afloat selling $200 Battlefield 1 bundles. But also for only $200, he gets good enough hardware to play all the latest games and that's really cheap. They even raise the value proposition by tossing in free games and exclusive discounts and that's also pretty rad.

Yeah. And like we all know that there are *never* hackers on console. That would be unthinkable

You seriously went through his post history to find an instance of him playing his xbox earlier than 2 years ago? For what reason? What difference does it make to this thread?

You need to go outside

It’s not, but it’s extremely rare. There are games I straight up had to stop playing on PC due to hacking. It was fairly common to run into one in most survival games sadly. I remember CS:GO dropped to $3 once and folks were really letting loose.

Clockwork5

It’s not, but it’s extremely rare. There are games I straight up had to stop playing on PC due to hacking. It was fairly common to run into one in most survival games sadly. I remember CS:GO dropped to $3 once and folks were really letting loose.
Yeah dealing with cheaters on PC is quite frustrating.

I fucking hate it.

I mainly play on PC, but have an XBox for my son- his mates have the same. £40 or whatever I last paid just so he can play Minecraft with them or Rainbow 6 or whatever the latest fad game amongst them is...

I already paid for the fucking game... Utterly ridiculous.

I have to wonder how many parents are in the same situation and feel forced to pay so their kid(s) don't 'lose out'. It really feels shitty, like an exploitative tax ladelled on top.

Pantz

Rich people can also afford to give hundred dollar tips to people in restaurants. No need to minimize the fact that it's an extra expense just because you get to have enough money to not worry about the nickle and diming.

Sorry, what I was trying to say is that with only working 6 months out of the year, I don't have very much money compared to most people.

Gren

They have to make up the losses on hardware somehow. My friend bought a brand new XB1S this weekend for $200 at Walmart and there's no way that Xbox would stay afloat selling $200 Battlefield 1 bundles. But also for only $200, he gets good enough hardware to play all the latest games and that's really cheap. They even raise the value proposition by tossing in free games and exclusive discounts and that's also pretty rad.
They're already getting *at least* 30% from every game/DLC/microtransaction/etc sold on their platform. If that barely keeps the lights on over there they should reevaluate their way of doing business.

It's insane to me how people think this is a good value proposition considering you'll lose all those "free" games you've piled up during those 7 years as soon as you stop paying the fee, or as they decide to shut down the service.

There is a way to get those “free” games and not lose access to them, buy them. It costs more though.

Lucas Sparks

Neo Member
It always baffles me that $5 is such a make or break thing for a lot of people. The amount of bills I have is nauseating, the last thing on my list would be my PS+ sub.

I mean I pay like $10 a month for Game of Thrones... it's lame you have to pay for another thing, but it being deal-breaking and worth going to a $600-$2250+ device instead is odd.

I have a PC so all my online gaming goes there. If I want to play a multi plat online, I buy it on PC. Haven't bought a sub since Last of Us Remastered.

I don't really forget, I know no sub = no online multiplayer. But sometimes I'll be interested in a beta or something and it will be only to gold or ps plus players and that reminds me how locked out I am.

oo7

It's insane to me how people think this is a good value proposition considering you'll lose all those "free" games you've piled up during those 7 years as soon as you stop paying the fee, or as they decide to shut down the service.

It's insane to me how people take issue with someone thinking spending $40-$60 a year for multiplayer access, potential discounts on games you want, and access to the monthly ps+ or games with gold games for that year, would be a good deal and something they wouldn't mind paying for.

I get it if people don't think it's a good deal, but for the 1 that doesn't, there are 5 that do. I am in the category of those that do believe it is a very good deal.

prag16

Banned
I mean I pay like $10 a month for Game of Thrones... it's lame you have to pay for another thing, but it being deal-breaking and worth going to a $1000+ device instead is odd.
People still spout this shit. -_-

I get it if people don't think it's a good deal, but for the 1 that doesn't, there are 5 that do. I am in the category of those that do believe it is a very good deal.

Receipts.gif

It always baffles me that $5 is such a make or break thing for a lot of people. The amount of bills I have is nauseating, the last thing on my list would be my PS+ sub.

I mean I pay like $10 a month for Game of Thrones... it's lame you have to pay for another thing, but it being deal-breaking and worth going to a $1000+ device instead is odd.

You are paying to get GOT. You paid the fee and you got the content.

Xbox Live and PSN subscriptions are payments to get access to things we already paid for. We are paying for the privaledge to utilize our internet service provider (that we also paid for) to play a game that can be near exclusively online based in some instances.

It's a fucking scam. It's like buying a meal from a restaurant and when it's delivered to your table you have to pay for the right to eat it. And when you complain the waiter says, "well sir you have to pay my salary for delivering your food and we are even throwing in these leftover bread rolls from last week for free. Good deal right?"

...Except most of the time there is no waiter and you are just shouting your order and picking it up yourself but still required to pay that fee... but damn if those stale rolls don't hit the spot.

Lucas Sparks

Neo Member

I just built 2 computers in the past month, I'm pretty aware of the cost of parts atm. There are some decent/good builds you could do now for around $800 (monitor included), but let's not do that whole game of its super cheap! (also I don't want to derail this thread).I'll edit the price though...

Xbox Live and PSN subscriptions are payments to get access to things we already paid for. We are paying for the privaledge to utilize our internet service provider (that we also paid for) to play a game that can be near exclusively online based in some instances.

It's a fucking scam. It's like buying a meal from a restaurant and when it's delivered to your table you have to pay for the right to eat it. And when you complain the waiter says, "well sir you have to pay my salary for delivering your food and we are even throwing in these leftover bread rolls from last week for free. Good deal right?"

...Except most of the time there is no waiter and you are just shouting your order and picking it up yourself but still required to pay that fee... but damn if those stale rolls don't hit the spot.

Yea, you make a good point about how it feels like you are being locked out of something that you ought to get for free (considering previous generations). But the service they provide is an infrastructure that allows these companies to have their games online, they are still paying to have these titles work on their infrastructure where as steam would be more of a initiation to another creators infrastructure. I'm guessing that's how they view it... but I agree it is lame you have to pay for that, I'm sure they could figure a way around it.

But for THAT to be the motivating factor to not play on consoles has just been odd to me since there are so many other financial barriers you have to jump through, yet the cost of online is brought up the most.

It is annoying and the reason I have not gotten another console since my ps3. I was gonna get a switch to compliment my 3ds but that paid online is a no go.

Realistically, I hope one of the competitors like say ms just gets rid of the fee and forces the other to go through with it. Sony won't even think about it at the moment and nintendo seems to be contemplating but ultimately they will charge as well.

Ploid 3.0

Receipts.gif

I wish I did go all out with a $1000 PC. I'd never get the full use out of a beast like that though, heck I don't even get the full use out of the PC I have now. I only play games on it, and web browser content. I don't encode anything, home theater things, or a lot of the other cool things PC can do. However I do a heck of a lot more with it than consoles can, all while playing online for free.

I moved from playing Playstation online, to free PC online. I knew I would never touch PS+ right after Jack Trenton said there would be a fee at that E3. So far things have been easy, though GT Sport may make me wish. I think I can live with offline GT though. I had my GT Online fun on PS3, they were good times, now I have other options on PC if I want to race online.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Lets not forget that to reap the full benefit of PS plus you need to have all 3 PS machines....and they probably haven’t heard of stuffs like Humble Bundle.

I feel the same OP.

I cancelled my PS+ earlier this year and have no intention of renewing it. If the Switch's online ends up being good then I might stomach it due to lower cost ($20/year, I think?). But for now, I'm happy to play multiplayer games on PC.

Arulan

That's what a closed-platform does -- whatever they want. Could you imagine being able to pick and choose the best service available on your console for stores, voice chat, interface, online matchmaking, and so-forth?

I'm so glad that Microsoft Rewards exists, because in around 10 minutes a day I can do some simple searches and easy quizzes for points and never pay money for Xbox Live.

autoduelist

In what universe does anyone call what they watch on Netflix free. Even your example doesn't make sense.

I want receipts on people talking like that about subscriptions.

It's the equivalent of someone saying 'i don't need to buy the newest game releases because I can play WoW for free'

when that makes zero sense and anyone saying that would get laughed out of the building.

Please research sunk costs. I gave a perfectly fine example in my post. If you don't understand the difference between deciding to watch go out and rent a movie at redbox or watch something for free on Netflix, that's on you.

dracula_x

Well, blame PC players who made this "scam" happen. MMO genre on PC was a trojan horse, where you need paid monthly "for delivering your food", not XBL and PSN.

tuxfool

Banned

They don't make losses on hardware any more. At worst, they sell at cost.

Well, blame PC players who made this "scam" happen. MMO genre on PC was a trojan horse, where you need paid monthly "for delivering your food", not XBL and PSN.

I'm not a fan of MMO subscriptions but there you're actually funding upkeep of expensive game servers, development of the game, community events etc.

What you pay goes directly into the content that you get. What happens in the consoles is that they provide a worse service than Steam, a service that funds its service directly from a cut of game sales, something that console manufacturers seem unable to do.

ArtHands

You dont need to subscribe to a MMO to play online for every other online PC games

-Horizon-

Man, I still remember when sony sneakily announced that online would be locked behind ps+ at their ps4 e3 showing and people were still cheering.
At that point I figured people just didn't care anymore.

I don't know about that analogy because in that instance the developers are usually actively involved in keeping that online community running and iterating content while also running dedicated servers.

Though once microtransactions come into play and prove successful it does seem like the monthly fee is a sham.

On consoles, the fee is there whether the dev is actively involved or not, and whether the game uses dedicated servers or not. Hell, I'm pretty sure I recall there being instances of MMOs on consoles asking for an additional monthly fee on top of the paywall extortion.

dracula_x

I don't know about that analogy because in that instance the developers are usually actively involved in keeping that online community running and iterating content while also running dedicated servers.

Though once microtransactions come into play and prove successful it does seem like the monthly fee is a sham.

On consoles, the fee is there whether the dev is actively involved or not, and whether the game uses dedicated servers or not. Hell, I'm pretty sure I recall there being instances of MMOs on consoles asking for an additional monthly fee on top of the paywall extortion.

on PS4 you don't need PS Plus sub at all to play MMO games.

btw, there are other benefits included in XBL/PS+ sub, so I'm not sure if "delivering your food" analogy works here.

Purest 78

60 bucks a year just isn't a lot of money for me for a year of Plus. Also I've had Plus since launch before it was a online requirement.

Demoskinos

When young, you have all the time in the world but don't have enough money to purchase whichever game you wish to play.
When growing old(er), you have the money to buy whichever game you want but don't have enough time to play them.

Sure you can. Just don't have kids or a S/O. ;)

you did not pay for the servers, matinence and other things that sony and microsoft have to provide.

it’s not a scam, you can buy things you have to buy other things to fully access.

and your anecdote is wrong. you have access to the game without paying the fee just not all of it. I can’t access ps4 pro features on my ps4 slim even though I already paid for the game. I’d have to pay again for a new console. I can buy a TV and use it for physical media, is it ridiculous that I can’t access the netflix app pre installed until I pay netflix and the cable company for internet? I’ve already paid for the netflix app!

it’s wonderful that on PC gamers can have their own servers or developers subsidize the service, but it’s not a scam that console makers don’t.

ArtHands

The ๖ۜBronx;249421197 said:
No, it's just most are adults that understand what's meant. Not pedants that feel a need to nitpick a point that's irrelevant to the discussion. People seem to think they're casting some illuminating light when they say "but it isn't free" – they aren't. No one has to "feel better" about their justification. Stop acting like yours is the only valid position and that everyone else has to trick themselves into being alright with what they've got. Such a juvenile and absurd response – if you don't see the value in it don't buy it. Not a hard concept to understand.

If they actually know what it means, they wouldn’t call it free. If they know its not free and still call it free, the only logical explanation is when they want to make themselves feel better.

tuxfool

Banned
you did not pay for the servers, matinence and other things that sony and microsoft have to provide.

it's not a scam, you can buy things you have to buy other things to fully access.

and your anecdote is wrong. you have access to the game without paying the fee just not all of it. I can't access ps4 pro features on my ps4 slim even though I already paid for the game. I'd have to pay again. I can buy a TV and use it for physical media, is it ridiculous that I can't access the netflix app pre installed until I pay netflix and the cable company for internet? I've already paid for the netflix app!

it's wonderful that on PC gamers can have their own servers or developers subsidize the service, but it's not a scam that console makers don't.

As it has already been pointed out, the console manufacturers don't pay for upkeep of game servers, nothing goes to any developers except maybe the first party. Everything Steam, Origin, GOG or Uplay do is derived from a cut of game sales.

I stopped paying when I stopped playing online since I usually only do 1-3 months. Reupped the 1 month when D2 came out. Game came with a 30 day trial which I'll use after this one runs out.

Armaros

Please research sunk costs. I gave a perfectly fine example in my post. If you don't understand the difference between deciding to watch go out and rent a movie at redbox or watch something for free on Netflix, that's on you.

Sunk costs == calling something you paid for free.

No one considers a house on a mortgage free, even tho you have giant suck costs called previous mortgage payments.

People don't reference their game time on a subscription MMO as free because of sunk costs. Subscription costs are always mentioned.

Your examples is awful. People would just say 'lets not spend money on a movie and just watch Netflix/insert other home entertainment."

Your example sounds even more absurd when applied to the pre-internet analog, cable. Imagine someone saying 'lets not go out to watch a movie, lets stay home and watch cable, it's free' It sounds completely stupid.

Top Bottom