• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Green Day - 21st Century Breakdown (New Album 2009)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeoVGM

Banned
speculawyer said:
Here is the cool thing . . . apparently Green Day has been making up fake band names and renting out small clubs around the bay area and then playing their whole new album all the way through.

If I was on the ball, I'd try to figure out when/where the next on is.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2009/04/10/review-green-day-at-dna-lounge/

That's really cool.

Part of the problem is that the new album, like the last, is a concept album, which means that fans will need time to learn and digest the storyline before they’ll be able to get the most out of the material.

I don't think anyone needed to do that with the last album. That really isn't true.

I AM JOHN! said:
Kerplunk? Really? Christ, next you're going to try and argue that 1039 is remotely listenable.

To me, the order is, has been, and always will be:
Insomniac > Nimrod > Dookie > American Idiot > Kerplunk > Warning > 1039

Haven't listened to Lights Out yet, but I'm pretty bummed now that I know that 21st Century Breakdown is another concept album.

Well it's just done the same way as American Idiot. It follows a fictional couple named Christian and Gloria.

1. "Song of the Century"

Act I - Heroes and Cons
2. "21st Century Breakdown"
3. "Know Your Enemy"
4. "¡Viva la Gloria!"
5. "Before the Lobotomy"
6. "Christian's Inferno"
7. "Last Night on Earth"

Act II - Charlatans and Saints
8. "East Jesus Nowhere"
9. "Peacemaker"
10. "Last of the American Girls"
11. "Murder City" -2:43
12. "¿Viva La Gloria?"
13. "Restless Heart Syndrome"

Act III - Horseshoes and Handgrenades
14. "Horseshoes and Handgrenades"
15. "The Static Age"
16. "21 Guns"
17. "American Eulogy"
- I. Mass Hysteria
- II. Modern World
18. "See the Light"

Interesting tracklist, and 18 songs is pretty cool. I like the titles of 4 and 12. Again, honestly, I think looking at the tracklist, that "Know Your Enemy" will work better as part of a full album than a single.

For me, it's:

American Idiot > Dookie > Insomniac > Nimrod > Warning > Kerplunk > 1039

I honestly do think, once getting past the nostalgia of Dookie, American Idiot is a far superior album, one of the best rock albums this decade. Not a single song I didn't love.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Darko said:

Uh..? It's really stupid to laugh at that. That's pretending that the album wasn't hugely critically acclaimed and popular, which is what every band hopes for.

Like I said, getting past nostalgia, American Idiot is a better album than Dookie. It's more complex, has better lyrics, better melodies, more ambitious.

I don't really care if you disagree. Dookie or American Idiot will be an argument that goes on for many years. But laughing at it is retarded.

Darko

its not even nostalgia, i got tired of american idiot after a month or so, ill never get tired of dookie, it may be more 'ambitioius' but dookie is definatley the better album.

btkadams

sorry guys im gonna have to agree with omg rite. american idiot was better than dookie IMO. i felt american idiot had a larger variety of sounds and was more ambitious creatively.

don't hate me for it ;)

The Foxboro Hot Tubs is way simpler and more stripped back than American Idiot, and yet it blows it out of the water. Musical complexity does not an excellent album make, or else we'd all just be listening to fucking Dreamtheater.

btkadams

I AM JOHN! said:
The Foxboro Hot Tubs is way simpler and more stripped back than American Idiot, and yet it blows it out of the water. Musical complexity does not an excellent album make, or else we'd all just be listening to fucking Dreamtheater.
you have no idea how much i agree with you, but i still believe american idiot is superior to dookie. american idiot is simple too ya know.

Acid08

Banned
1039 and Kerplunk are still their best CD's IMO. American Idiot got incredibly played out very fast. And I really like Warning, it's also one of my favorite Green Day CD's.

eXistor

I AM JOHN! said:

I'm a very, very big advocate of this (my musical taste reflects this very much), but to say American Idiot is a complex album is going a bit far. It's pop-punk, nothing more, nothing less. Most songs are as basic as anything Green Day has ever done, just more played-out. For me, in music, simple melodies coupled with deep, meaningful lyrics are as good as it's gonna get (which is why I hold the Pogues in such high regard, listen to Body of an American and tell me you're not impressed).

Guys, I was saying it more philisophically, not saying that I think American Idiot is some kind of crazy wall of sound album. :lol

But yeah, I can see where you guys are coming from and I agree to an extent.

medrew

I AM JOHN! said:
Kerplunk? Really? Christ, next you're going to try and argue that 1039 is remotely listenable.

To me, the order is, has been, and always will be:
Insomniac > Nimrod > Dookie > American Idiot > Kerplunk > Warning > 1039

Haven't listened to Lights Out yet, but I'm pretty bummed now that I know that 21st Century Breakdown is another concept album.

The 1039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours has their cover of Operation Ivy's 'Knowledge' so will forever make it better than most of their albums. Plus I always thought of 'I Was There' being one of their better songs.

Easily
Nimrod > Insomniac > Dookie > Kerplunk > 1039 > Warning > American Idiot

They lost me after Warning. I was so pumped for that and could never get into American Idiot (yes, I didn't care about it before it really blew up as well). It's sad that how after Dookie they went in the total opposite direction that you would have expected (short hardish songs with a 22 min album, which is extended by one song being 5 mins) and it doesn't seem they have done the same here, deciding to play it safe.

Costanza

Banned
Tour Dates:
http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdai...y-announce-21st-century-breakdown-tour-dates/

July 3 - Seattle, WA
July 4 - Vancouver, BC
July 6 - Edmonton, AB
July 7 - Saskatoon, SAS
July 9 - Winnipeg, MAN
July 10 - Fargo, ND
July 11 - Minneapolis, MN
July 13 - Chicago, IL
July 14 - Detroit, MI
July 16 - Hamilton, ONT
July 17 - Ottawa, ONT
July 18 - Montreal, QUE
July 20 - Boston, MA
July 21 - Philadelphia, PA
July 22 - Pittsburgh, PA
July 24 - Hartford, CT
July 25 - Albany, NT
July 27 - New York, NY
July 29 - Washington, DC
July 31 - Nashville, TN
August 1 - Atlanta, GA
August 3 - Tampa, FL
August 4 - Miami, FL
August 5 - Orlando, FL
August 7 - New Orleans, LA
August 8 - Houston, TX
August 9 - San Antonio, TX
August 11 - St. Louis, MO
August 12 - Kansas City, MO
August 13 - Omaha, NE
August 15 - Denver, CO
August 16 - Salt Lake City, UT
August 18 - San Jose, CA
August 20 - San Diego, CA
August 21 - Las Vegas, NV
August 22 - Phoenix, AZ
August 24 - Sacramento, CA
August 25 - Los Angeles, CA

Fusebox

Banned
I'm not big on Green Day, but lately I've been buying a shitload of Adeline printed tee's, and when I asked the guy at the store who designed them he said it's the singer from Green Day.

Stuff like this...

3460349979_ce98805df8.jpg

Tactical War Scales indeed! Dude has style and a sense of humour.

Tek

greenday21stcenturybrearet.jpg

So there was a hour long Green Day special that played on radio stations tonight across the country.

I'm not sure if this is allowed or not, if not then please remove the links, but they played some new songs from the album along with a interview with the band.

EAST JESUS NOWHERE -> http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8BZOPWOJ

21 GUNS -> http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0YXJMM6W

Before The Lobotomy -> http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XRRZDZHN

21st Century Breakdown ( Album Version ) -> http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4TR5ZEED

RESTLESS HEART SYNDROME -> http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GO4UJYSG

AMERICAN EUOLOGY -> http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JGS99R7Z

I can also post the interview if anyone wants it.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Yeah, I'd like the interview. Gonna wait on the songs so I can hear everything together.

Thanks for the links ^^^.

Lights out finally caught up to me. I didn't really like it initially, but after a few listens, I like it.

EDIT:

Those Megaupload verifications (Type in the textbox) are really annoying; freaking difficult as hell to see what to type in.

yodandy

Thanks for the links, if someone .zip's em all and posts them ill get it, but from what i've heard so far from the new GD, it probably wont be worth it one by one.

LCfiner

I am really, really loving these early looks.

As an enormous fan of Green Day who thought American Idiot was one of the best albums of the decade, I have high hopes for this new album.

and I'm totally there for the July 18th show in Montreal. Saw then around 3 years ago live and they were awesome.

ZeoVGM

Banned
LCfiner said:
I am really, really loving these early looks.

As an enormous fan of Green Day who thought American Idiot was one of the best albums of the decade, I have high hopes for this new album.

and I'm totally there for the July 18th show in Montreal. Saw then around 3 years ago live and they were awesome.

I'm going into this thinking there's no way they can top American Idiot, and I agree: one of the best albums of the decade.

I think I might skip these live tracks being posted though. The album isn't far off.

Futureman

omg rite said:
I'm going into this thinking there's no way they can top American Idiot, and I agree: one of the best albums of the decade.

I think I might skip these live tracks being posted though. The album isn't far off.

These aren't live.

Futureman

The Rolling Stone reviewer likes it better than American Idiot.

Listening to "American Eulogy" right now and I like it.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Okay, so I listened to that b-side and both "American Euology" and "21 Guns" off the album. I'm going to leave it at that so I can hear it fresh front to back.

No exaggeration, "21 Guns" might go down as one of my favorite Green Day songs ever. That's a damn great chorus.

Rindain

Banned
I'm so tempted to listen to the Breakdown tracks, but listening to American Idiot straight through in my car after picking it up at the record store (only having heard the title track single) was one of the most memorable music experiences of my life.

Futureman

I used to be that way, didn't listen to any of American Idiot before it came out.

But now I guess I don't really care about Green Day as much. I really like all the tracks though and it sounds like 21st Century Breakdown is going to be good if you liked American Idiot.

Darko

omg rite said:
Okay, so I listened to that b-side and both "American Euology" and "21 Guns" off the album. I'm going to leave it at that so I can hear it fresh front to back.

No exaggeration, "21 Guns" might go down as one of my favorite Green Day songs ever. That's a damn great chorus.

I stopped listening 2 minutes in....
so i can make this post about how it shits all over anything on american idiot..so good.

Timo

Their first two albums actually were really good. I loved Dookie, didn't really like Nimrod or Insomniac as much as the first 3 at all. Warning had it's songs. I did enjoy American Idiot.

I wish they would go back to their roots honestly. I rarely listen to music like this anymore, but, it would be nice.

Rindain

Banned
Alright, I caved.

21 Guns = Instant classic. One of the catchiest choruses Green Day has ever come up with.

American Eulogy = A great, fast anthem. "I DON'T WANNA LIVE IN THE MODERN WORLD!"

East Jesus Nowhere = Fucking awesome beat.

Restless Heart Syndrome = Kind of psychedelic song that channels the Beatles at times, then rocks out.

Before the Lobotomy = I love how this builds. Guitar at the end = epic.

All these songs are epic, and I've only heard them three times each and haven't really even started paying much attention to the lyrics.

ZeoVGM

Banned
BigJonsson said:
Pretty amazing how far Green Day has come since the early 90's when you think about it.......

Agreed. And I know you'll always have people that want the old Green Day back, I like watching bands mature their music. If I want Dookie, I'll listen to Dookie. It will always be there for people who only like that.

I would imagine being in the band, you want to try and do things differently, 19 years into your career is a band. And honestly, they haven't strayed THAT much. It's not like Panic at the Disco going from electronic dance pop-rock to Beatles-influenced mellow pop.

I'm really excited for this album, been waiting for months. I'd listen to the tracks out so far but I don't want to listen to anything until I can hear the whole album.

Also, let's discuss:

534ql4.png

LCfiner

omg rite said:

omg rite
OMG RITE
(Today, 12:44 AM)
Reply | Quote

esbern

wait so green day goes from stale punk to stale american pop rock songs that every other emo band sounds like and then they are immediately "best album of the decade" worthy?

Tek

Yeah, I really thought that this album was just going to be a rehash of American Idiot....but it really expands on that album.

Plus its quite amazing to think that this is just a 1/3 of the album and its already great.

21 Guns will be a single...I 110% bet it....and radio will make us all hate this song just like they did with BOBD.

oh and the show that Green Day did a few weeks back at the Fox Theater will be coming to Comcast On Demand here soon...the show that they did at Uptown will be on myspace here soon.

Warner is really putting some muscle behind them.

stealth edit: What can we say...we love those stale ass Green Day folks...

ZeoVGM

Banned
esbern said:
wait so green day goes from stale punk to stale american pop rock songs that every other emo band sounds like and then they are immediately "best album of the decade" worthy?

Please, list these MANY "emo" (terrible misused word) bands that sounded like the American Idiot album before American Idiot came out.

I'm waiting.

LCfiner

omg rite said:
Please, list these MANY "emo" (terrible misused word) bands that sounded like the American Idiot album before American Idiot came out.

I'm waiting.

let it go, man. it'll accomplish nothing.

Concerning 21 Guns, I agree with tek, it's gonna be a single. it's got that pop radio hook to it. and i can already see myself getting tired of it if I listened to the radio :lol

esbern said:

Uhh no

I'm going to listen to a couple songs. But either way I'm paying full retail for their album. My moniez and everyone else's shall be theirs.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Tek said:
21 Guns will be a single...I 110% bet it....and radio will make us all hate this song just like they did with BOBD.

Most likely, but I NEVER listen to the radio. It's hard for songs to get overplayed for me.

I literally just heard "Just Dance" by Lady GaGa like a month ago, and apparently it's been a hit since late last year? So now it's constantly played on my mix CDs in my car. Heh.

omg rite said:
Most likely, but I NEVER listen to the radio. It's hard for songs to get overplayed for me.

I literally just heard "Just Dance" by Lady GaGa like a month ago, and apparently it's been a hit since late last year? So now it's constantly played on my mix CDs in my car. Heh.
try "poker face"

much better song IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom