• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS vs Vita vs Smartphones/Tablets battle of the portables garbage thread

StuBurns

Banned
Amir0x said:
3DS is never going to maintain the kind of upward trajectory the DS had because Nintendo is out of fresh ideas.

Vita is still going to be dominated by 3DS because it's $249.99 and the vast majority of consumers don't want to pay for a 249.99 gaming dedicated handheld which has lots of PS3 ports when they already have a 360 or a PS3. So it will fail and Nintendo will win by default since Sony still doesn't get it.

In the end, it's going to be a sort of middling handheld generation until the next set when the balance is finally struck with a $169.99 launch system with Vita's power and capabilities and the lame 3D thrown out. And, of course, Mario, Pokemon and Monster Hunter. So I guess Sony is still shit out of luck.
Define fail.

kinggroin

Banned
hatchx said:
With Kid Icarus, Mario, Mario Kart, Luigi's Mansion, Mario Tennis, Fire Emblem, Resident Evil: Revelations, MGS3D (even though superior versions exist), Monster Hunter 3/4, Animal Crossing, Four Sword+ (for free), Kingdom Hearts 3D, FFtherythm, Tekken 3D, Ace Combat, Bravely Default, Smash Bros...

...I simply don't understand these sentiments. This is the best lineup on a Nintendo console ever, in my opinion.

I'm sure those will mostly be VERY quality games. However, seeing too many familiar titles in there means Nintendo is playing it safe (they have no choice BUT to at the moment). So we've all played these series a trillion times and on the surface, the lineup doesn't really do much to excite all but the most die hard fans.

I'm sure in a couple years, there will be a shitload of original experimental titles that really define what the system library is.

edit: Same answer as Amir0x, but minus the hyperbole.

I can't imagine, with any definition of the word fail, see the 3DS be defined as such when all is said and done. Maybe underperformed according to expectations (as it has for me), but straight up fail? Nah.

AbsoluteZero said:
. An iPad 1 won't be able to play as many games as the iPad 2 will and so on, but a Vita or 3DS purchase will play all software through the lifespan of the hardware.

that is absolutely untrue. the only thing it won't play is machinarium and only because it came via flash>>>air.

Patapwn

Callibretto said:
I'll stand by you Vita, to the death!

Already-Dead-e1263400503343.jpg

Opiate

Sky Chief said:
The fact that the recently announced Sony tablets do not already allow you to connect a DS3 and play PSX games on your TV seems like a huge oversight to me.

Sony is unlikely to be the first to do this -- they will be pulled in slowly but eventually, as they have been with phone gaming. I wouldn't say it's impossible that Sony leads the way here -- just unlikely, mind you. This is because Sony has conflicting business interests here. Aggressively pushing a tablet-gaming-like-a-console agenda directly affects the PS3 business they've just spent billions trying to resurrect.

Could Sony decide to torpedo the PS3 anyway? Yes, again, it's possible. But typically, products which disrupt the establish business model (a la smart phones) come from companies that have very little to lose by disrupting that established market. Another example of this is Microsoft's slow movement in the smart phone / tablet market; they were understandably reluctant to disrupt their bread-and-butter-desktop-pc market. Anything that eats in to desktop PC sales is bad business for Microsoft, so why would MS actively seek out such opportunities? However, now that it's clear that the market is changing whether they like it or not, so Microsoft is finally moving in with more aggression.

Amir0x

Banned
StuBurns said:
Define fail.

It's going to do sub PSP numbers in every territory including Japan. Although I'd submit if it does like PSP did, it will still be a failure particularly with the abysmal performance in North America.

kinggroin

Banned
Amir0x said:
It's going to do sub PSP numbers in every territory including Japan. Although I'd submit if it does like PSP did, it will still be a failure.

So in this case, fail to live up to hardware (and maybe software) expectations? Makes sense I guess. Though I cant see Nintendo being completely distraught over PSP-like hardware numbers.

Now if software sold like it did on that platform...

Kyoufu

guek said:
I think in the end, whether people are upfront about it or not, price is what's really determining reception. It's got good games at launch and great games in the pipeline (presumably), but $250 is not cheap, especially when you're almost certainly going to have to tack on an extra $50 for a memory card.

If the thing cost $200, it'd be the handheld of the forever, but that'd ruin sony :p

B-b-but 249 was a great price 2 months ago!

Price personally doesn't bother me. It doesn't cost 499 and yet it has the functionality of devices in that range. I don't compare it to the low price of 3DS because 3DS was always going to be the cheapest, since you know, the thing is dirt cheap to manufacture.

Anyway, I'm tired of Japan living in the PS2-level hardware era. I hope vita sees success.

hatchx said:
With Kid Icarus, Mario, Mario Kart, Luigi's Mansion, Mario Tennis, Fire Emblem, Resident Evil: Revelations, MGS3D (even though superior versions exist), Monster Hunter 3/4, Animal Crossing, Four Sword+ (for free), Kingdom Hearts 3D, FFtherythm, Tekken 3D, Ace Combat, Bravely Default, Smash Bros...

...I simply don't understand these sentiments. This is the best lineup on a Nintendo console ever, in my opinion.

Dont bother arguing. There are folks that to this day claim that the Wii has the worst library ever full of nothing but casual titles.

StuBurns

Banned
Amir0x said:
It's going to do sub PSP numbers in every territory including Japan. Although I'd submit if it does like PSP did, it will still be a failure particularly with the abysmal performance in North America.
I agree with the first bit.

Zoramon089 said:
I love how people here seem to ignore the fact that battery technology is growing much slower than other tech. They can't just magically improve battery life like that. If you want to see a significant change in battery in either device, expect something bigger or something YEARS out
And i never really understood why. I mean mobile phones are a necessity nowadays. I don´t understand why the battery technology has not followed the development of portable devices.

kinggroin

Banned
Beam said:
And i never really understood why. I mean mobile phones are a necessity nowadays. I don´t understand why the battery technology has not followed the development of portable devices.

Because up until VERY recently, mobile phones were only doing a tenth of what they are today. Shit's moving at break-neck speeds.

Ulairi said:
The games are cheap and people don't consider handheld gaming to be real. If I never cared about handheld gaming much, iPhone gaming would be amazing. For $2 I can get a game and spend a few minutes with it to a few hours, it's a great value. But, when I can play Dragon Quest IX on my DS I'm not going to settle for Quest on my iPhone.

I will be able to play GTA CW, Dead Space, Need for Speed, Civilization, etc etc etc and whatever new goodies there are on the Appstore and they'll all be cheaper than DQIX a year after release.

Patapwn

So, what are peoples lifetime sale predictions for the vita?

I think it'll only sell 103 units. Is that too high?

Opiate

No, those aren't the reasons. It isn't a lack of financial incentive -- there has been incentive to improve battery technology for lots of fields, from automobiles to laptops, for many years.

The actual answer is that sometimes things take time. Why haven't we cured all cancers yet? Why are we still unable to cure herpes, when we can cure so many other diseases?

Because some problems prove comparatively easy, while some prove comparatively hard. Battery technology just happens to be harder to evolve. It's as simple as that.

AranhaHunter said:
I will be able to play GTA CW, Dead Space, Need for Speed, Civilization, etc etc etc and whatever new goodies there are on the Appstore and they'll all be cheaper than DQIX a year after release.

And I would take DQIX over all of those shitty controlled games any day of the fucking week.

thefro

Nintendo seems to have made the right moves to steal away a lot of PSP's userbase in Japan (and lock up a ton of Japanese 3rd party support), but they still may lose WW marketshare to Vita if they can't find a way to sell 3DSes to casual consumers. Vita's userbase may shrink less than 3DS, in other words.

Then again, I think a lot of people bought PSPs for the media functions and the ease of software piracy and those folks may not be interested in Vita since they can do the same things on their smartphones.

Both 3DS and Vita will sell signficantly less than DS/PSP.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
3DS
The whole system seems like a hardware abortion. Region-locked, now tacked on additional controls, an oft slammed 3d effect, still a barebones online system. Nintendo bizarrely chose better visuals and a visual effect most of the world were already slamming as a gimmick to push their system. Bizarro.

Hopefully the Dual Analog XL revision will tantalise me enough to jump in, since Tri portable with dual analogs is very appealing to me indeed. Although seemingly no online knocks it down too many notches to be a system seller for me, so still looking for that special something of a game.

Vita
Tech-wise its all there. Other than its own 3d, it just appears to have everything. Control schemes and innovation pouring out of it's ass.

Having seemingly lost the all important Monster Hunter sales steroids injection for Japan, maybe its time to focus on the West. Of all the most important moneyhats to make, it boggles my mind that Sony haven't thrown a top hat full of fucking diamonds at Acti for a fucking swanky Call of Duty.

Or that its own efforts (Resistance and Killzone) werent looking pretty lacklustre. The dual analogs are right fucking there, what is the game people play the most? Uncharted doesnt look to have its own multiplayer either at this stage.

iOS and all that shit
Maybe "phones on your mobile" is some new thing for America, but I remember playing Snake on an old Nokia when I was a teenager. The graphics have changed, the depth hasn't. I just don't care about this stuff. Especially when half of it is rips of stuff I can play from any number of Flash portals for free. Without buttons its always going to be limited in what it can do, and the seemingly 2 year cut off point for old tech and models prevents me from ever really considering jumping on at any point.

I also cannot see it as a sustainable market with race to the bottom prices and devs desperately seeking attention as iOS has some insane indie cred assigned to it so theyre over-spending and under-earning because 'its just the in-thing'. A fine distraction, but to see bigwig companies pour money into buying up shitware dev houses presuming lightning is definitely going to strike twice is ghastly to watch.

SmokyDave

flyinpiranha said:
And I would take DQIX over all of those shitty controlled games any day of the fucking week.
Look at that venom!

One thing I've noticed lately is that some of the handheld crew appear to be extremely stressed. You should unwind with some fun little time-wasters.

kinggroin

Banned
Opiate said:
No, those aren't the reasons. It isn't a lack of financial incentive -- there has been incentive to improve battery technology for lots of fields, from automobiles to laptops, for many years.

The actual answer is that sometimes things take time. Why haven't we cured all cancers yet? Why are we still unable to cure herpes, when we can cure so many other diseases?

Because some problems prove comparatively easy, while some prove comparatively hard. Battery technology just happens to be harder to evolve. It's as simple as that.

So you don't think the rate at which phone tech has improved and the amount of things they are attempting to do compared to say...a razor, exacerbates the issue?

I didn't mean to imply that battery tech ISN'T improving BECAUSE of phone tech advances moving as fast as they are; just that its perceived to be moving so slow thanks to how fast the tech evolves.

I blame the Android OS more than anything.

edit: changed some words around to avoid even more confusion

monome

I hope Vita is successful enough to warrant instant ports from console games.
I wouldn't mind playing my upcoming action games ala Asura's wrath or Anarchy reign on it.

3DS gets nintendo & level 5 stuff which is good enough for me but I m not happy with its design.

iPAD is my default comics gateway and web browser except for GAF.

iPhone gets replace as soon as I can get my grubby hands on a Nokia WM7 phone, I dig Metro and could not care less to play on a phone except to grab a few gamertag points on the go and maybe play something Halo related at some point.

SmokyDave said:
Look at that venom!

Venom? Just truth. I hate the way Dead Space controlled, didn't try civ and didn't bother with CW.

I'm only assuming they are crappy controls because a touch screen in general is terrible and the controls have to heavily modified.

Sorry iOS and Kinect, but I like buttons.

SmokyDave said:
Look at that venom!

One thing I've noticed lately is that some of the handheld crew appear to be extremely stressed. You should unwind with some fun little time-wasters.

I do, i like Battleheart and even enjoy Angry Birds, the pinball games on the Android aren't bad either.

And the handheld crew would include iOS/Droid would it not?

AranhaHunter said:
In Japan? Yes and no. If Sony had gotten MH exclusively, it wouldn't kill the 3DS off as Nintendo still got 2D Mario, Pokemon, Mario Kart. Nintendo getting MH exclusively pretty much kills the Vita in Japan IMO. Sony got Gran Turismo (declining franchise, doesn't sell on handhelds) and Minna No Golf (not a huge system seller).
Yeah, no. I really think that 3DS will outsell the Vita in Japan, but the Vita won´t be dead. I think that Vita third party support is great for a launch period. The social aspect of the Vita will play an important role on not letting the Vita die. I really think that Japanese might buy Vita for it´s social aspects alone. But we will see.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
kinggroin said:
'
Maybe you're right, and I've just had much better luck than you, but now I'm curious. Please name the games on IOS that run at 60fps and only 15fps on a comparable android device (to an iPhone 4).

I can name a shitload of great running android titles, 2d and 3d, that are on both platforms.
Name some, then, I'm curious.

I can't really name any games that were ported to Android that are 60 fps on iPhone. All of the games that I'm thinking of are only available on iOS.

Stuff like the Cave games (Espgaluda, DoDonPachi, etc), Edge EX, Groove Coaster, Space Invaders Infinity Gene, Assault Squadron, Hook Worlds, World of Goo, Pizza Boy, Canabalt, Truckers Delight, Monster Dash, Bit.Trip.Beat, Bumpy Road, MOS Speedrun, Grim Joggers, Continuity 2, Gesundheit, Jetpack Joyride, etc. I don't think any of those games are available on Android and every one of them runs at 60 fps.

Perhaps the smoothest Android game I've tried yet is Cordy, but even that jumps up and down in framerate even on the fastest Android tablets available.

So, yeah, if you can name a bunch of Android games running at a solid 60 fps, I'd love to hear them.

Pie and Beans said:
iOS and all that shit
Maybe "phones on your mobile" is some new thing for America, but I remember playing Snake on an old Nokia when I was a teenager. The graphics have changed, the depth hasn't. I just don't care about this stuff. Especially when half of it is rips of stuff I can play from any number of Flash portals for free. Without buttons its always going to be limited in what it can do, and the seemingly 2 year cut off point for old tech and models prevents me from ever really considering jumping on at any point.

I also cannot see it as a sustainable market with race to the bottom prices and devs desperately seeking attention as iOS has some insane indie cred assigned to it so theyre over-spending and under-earning because 'its just the in-thing'. A fine distraction, but to see bigwig companies pour money into buying up shitware dev houses presuming lightning is definitely going to strike twice is ghastly to watch.

you need to play better iOS games if you're going to say there's no depth.

RACE TO THE BOTTOM PRICING IS GOOD FOR CONSUMERS. I don't play game companies.

love love love iOS.

orioto

Good Art™
Y oucan see how much ios are a problem by the way everyone is using the "shitty control" argument...

Everyone think Apple won't release an "xperia" iphone. They surely would never do that with the main iphone, but explain me what stop them to release a second sku ? Let's say a IGphone dedicaced to gamers.. Now just create a "premium" section of the app store with more expansive games that uses this sku. And you know such an sku's market would be profitable in less than a year.

And i firmly believe, if Apple, for whatevr reason, doesn't do it, Samsung will at some point. It's just to easy right now to steal an entire massive market.

Opiate

kinggroin said:
So you don't think the rate at which phone tech has improved and the amount of things they are attempting to do compared to say...a razor, exacerbates the issue?

I do think it does. I'm saying there's nothing to be done about it. It's not that people aren't trying, it just can't be done.

A very extreme example of this might be rapid travel to other solar systems. Obviously we aren't there yet, but as our understanding of physical laws becomes increasingly certain, it is also becoming increasingly likely that rapid transit to other planets will literally never happen. That is, no matter how advanced we get, traveling to the other side of the galaxy will take generations.

Not because we don't want to travel faster, not because there is no money invested to accomplish the feat, but because the laws of the universe simply make it impossible, no matter how great it would be.

Similarly -- but to a lesser extreme -- battery technology is simply really hard to work with. Not because we don't want it, not because there is no money in it, but because it's really hard. Not impossible (like faster than light travel), but hard enough that it's taking time, and moving very slowly. There simply is no solution to this problem, and throwing ever more money at it has significantly decreasing returns.

Amir0x said:
3DS is never going to maintain the kind of upward trajectory the DS had because Nintendo is out of fresh ideas.
It is too soon to say that. They most certainly have new ideas, Wii U controller and what I saw in SS in the conference, proves they can do it. Just because Dogs+Catz wasn't innovative, doesn't mean they can't. And two main new features of the 3DS, streetpass and spotpass, hasn't been tapped into yet at all.

The reason they are not focusing on it though, I believe, is that it is not yet the time. They had to face Vita this winter, so announcing new Brain Training and concentrating their development resources on it, wouldn't have helped them much, because those people won't buy Vita anyway. Against smartphones in general, in the west specially, they are fighting a gradual fight, and timing isn't that critical.

On top of that, who says it has to be Nintendo who comes up with fresh ideas? Just Dance and Zumba Fitness, shitty or not, have become extremely popular and are selling Wiis, without Nintendo making them, or like how Scribblenauts ended up as one of the best selling games on DS. If the device has the potential in it, technologically and commercially, we may end up with fresh ideas to attract people by other developers investing in it. And I believe for developers, putting their better ideas on DS, as not $1 apps, will be much more commercially justifiable in general, rather than being $1 apps on iPhone, as the revenue of best selling titles on smartphones, Angry Birds, proves in particular and the whole revenue of the app market in general.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
orioto said:
Y oucan see how much ios are a problem by the way everyone is using the "shitty control" argument...
This is a problem with the games, not iOS.
Plenty of games with great, intuitive controls on touch screen devices.

Sucks that devs shoe horn digital to touch controls all the time but luckily, I skip those games and only play the best or interesting.

Amir0x said:
But failure and success are determined if the project is profitable for the company. Let´say the Vita sells 20 million, but it´s profitable for Sony. Than it wióuld be considered succes for the company. Same for every product.
Unless the expectations are unrealistic, but that is another issue.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Pachterballs said:

love love love iOS.

Sword and Sworcery is the only 'handheld' game I am envious of. I'd be surprised if a Vita port didn't happen, but the devs seem like the "SUPER INDIE CREDIT FORCE ACTIVATE" types that somehow see it being iDevice only is too cool for skool and more money for their efforts is an affront to the message they are sending. or something.

For most other efforts, ye olde game companies efforts on the other handhelds are going to capture my attention for train journeys and the like or Nanaca Crash, Newgrounds.com and Armour Games thousands of free Flash things are going to piffle away any idle office time I have.

orioto said:

Everyone think Apple won't release an "xperia" iphone. They surely would never do that with the main iphone, but explain me what stop them to release a second sku ? Let's say a IGphone dedicaced to gamers.. Now just create a "premium" section of the app store with more expansive games that uses this sku. And you know such an sku's market would be profitable in less than a year.

And i firmly believe, if Apple, for whatevr reason, don't do it, Samsung will at some point. It's just to easy right now to steal an entire massive market.

Add buttons and I'm in. But on such a small screen (I even have an Infuse which is gigantic) I hate how the games control. Plants Vs Zombies, Peggle, Pinball, all great with a touch pad. But I find even in games like Battleheart that I'm not able to select the right person when they are over each other or something.

Maybe it would be better on iPad, we have one to mess around with at work here and played a little Battleheart and Cut the Rope and it's pretty cool.

I'm not against iOS/Droid gaming, but I find the gaming handhelds have better games, better controls, and are just ... better.

SmokyDave

flyinpiranha said:
Venom? Just truth. I hate the way Dead Space controlled, didn't try civ and didn't bother with CW.

I'm only assuming they are crappy controls because a touch screen in general is terrible and the controls have to heavily modified.

Sorry iOS and Kinect, but I like buttons.

I do, i like Battleheart and even enjoy Angry Birds, the pinball games on the Android aren't bad either.

And the handheld crew would include iOS/Droid would it not?
Civ controls like a dream. Even I won't stick up for CTW though. Loved it on DS, less so on PSP and I'm really not feeling the iPad version.

Mind you, I don't have a problem with onscreen controls.

I haven't seem any of the 'raging-while-flecks-of-spit-fly-out-of-my-mouth' posts coming from Android / iOS peeps, I know that much. Read the comments on that IGN Animal Crossing article if you want a good laugh though, there's some proper rage in there. I blame insecurity + buyers remorse.

Pachterballs said:
that is absolutely untrue. the only thing it won't play is machinarium and only because it came via flash>>>air.

I dunno about that, there's some games that don't play on the 1st gen iPod Touch I bought back in 2008.

Cipherr

Vitas launch date is really unfortunate. Its a really good thing 3DS wont have a big enough userbase for SM3DL, MarioKart 7, Layton, and MH3G to do massive massive numbers, because the doom and gloom that would kick off when the dwarfed the PSP launch titles would be unbearable.

I mean that motherfucker is launching right there in the thick of a shitload of competition from the 3DS, its really kinda crazy.

monome

StuBurns said:
It's meant to be crazy light, like a PSP Go. After playing 3DS, I like them heavier I think.

can you handle it with two hands while using (precisely) the rear pad? if it s tricky and you hold it one handed then weight may matter.

Otherwise I like my tech sturdy so I m one with you.

Just random thoughts but Iam I the only one annoyed by reflections on my mobile consoles?
I cannot fucking play outside with my 3DS which is a much bigger issue to me than whatever the fuck is happening to nintendo.

BurntPork

Banned
Pachterballs said:

love love love iOS.
Lower prices lead to lower budgets and loss of jobs, though. There need to be tiers in pricing. A simple race to the bottom will destroy the industry.

StuBurns

Banned
monome said:
can you handle it with two hands while using (precisely) the rear pad?
The 3DS? Yes, I just tried, in fact being lighter would make it worse, I just tried it with the PSP 2000 too and it moves around more, presumably because the pressure moves it easier being lighter. But they're different shapes too, so I'm not sure anyone could determine anything from it.

Durante

There are a few genres that simply don't work with touchscreen-only controls, and there are a whole lot of others that do work but significantly worse than with buttons. Some are unaffected or even work better. But it's not a general gaming solution.

StuBurns said:
PSV is too thin. There's plenty of room to make it deeper for more battery.
My Galaxy S2 is 8.9 mm thick and tiny in terms of area compared to Vita, yet it has a 1650 mAh battery. I believe it would have been technically possible to do at least 40% better in terms of battery in Vita, but it would also have been significantly more expensive. We are already getting a whole lot of technology for our money.

Top Bottom