• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Halo 4 in game images [Up: Third New Screenshot In OP]

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Devs always throw around the "new engine" term. This is undoubtedly an upgraded Reach engine, not something they made from scratch.
It's a mainline Halo game, you can pretty much expect a lot of engine upgrades. But yeah, it can't be a new engine.

The shots look great and all, but is it really that much better than this:
halo-reach-20100125051700045.jpg

Yasae

Banned
Bullshots.

But nice bullshots, nonetheless.
Yep.

Granted they improved a good bit with Reach.
Im_So_Pringles said:
Your opinion. Why do people care?

We're just excited because this is the first real footage of Halo 4, and the first real news in six months, bullshots or not.
Eh, we all know Halo 3 was an ugly, pea-soupy mess with Jagged Edge(s) and human character models from about 10 years back. It's not a bad-looking game per se, but it wasn't very close to the pre-release shots. The in-game replay screenshots also apply AA and other cheats.

I'm glad it's improved so much, but it was not an amazing flagship title graphically.

Reach looked significantly better than Halo 3 as far as aliasing; plenty of 720p games look great. I guess all we can do at this point is hope.

Don't get me wrong man, that game will look great. Even at the laughable resolution of Halo 3, that game looked really good. Reach was a huge step up as well, and since it was near 720p it worked well. But I don't expect many games to go beyond 720p this generation. Especially an FPS.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Don't get me wrong man, that game will look great. Even at the laughable resolution of Halo 3, that game looked really good. Reach was a huge step up as well, and since it was near 720p it worked well. But I don't expect many games to go beyond 720p this generation. Especially an FPS.

That's what always bugged me. The game looked good but it was low res. Ok, so what?

KageMaru

IIRC FXAA doesn't work on shaders.

And yes, 1600x900 is a 16x9 aspect ratio. Still a bullshot. A bad one at that. It would look better at it's native resolution. Wouldn't show the imperfections.

How excited am I? Ultra. I love GDC. I look forward to it as much as E3 every year. I've got some major game designs I'm working on, and I love to see the trend and new tools and stuff that come out.

Pretty sure shader aliasing happens from bad specular highlights, so im not really sure why you're bringing that up.

Also if you would read the thread, game shots are typically blown up for the press, which is true. So while they aren't 100% true, if what he's saying is legit, these should at least give us a good idea what to expect. Plus I know 1600x900 is 16:9, so is 1280x720 and 1152x720, but when scaled down it fits the former better than the latter (assuming I did my math right).

Last, I was asking about the halo reveal tomorrow, not GDC. IMO its clear you have no interest in the game and just want to downplay it.

It even says it in the article: "Not really a singular engine since it goes through fairly radical evolutions all the time."

Furthermore Kiki Wolfkill (EP of 343) and Josh Holmes (Creative Director) confirmed that it is a new engine in their interview with Gameinformer.

IMO "new engine" is too broad and vague. Its likely at its core the blam! engine, but modified to their needs. There is still halo tech since you aren't going to throw away everything and start from scratch.

Yeah... a debug camera. Not a direct screen grab.

You're mistaken, there should be no different from pulling the camera back in debug view and a direct screen grab other than the position of the camera. He specifically said this isn't some theatre mode screen.

So it can be interated on the newer platform?

But creating a engine that works on two platforms will undoubtly come with some compromises at some juncture, so it would be preferable to do two several engines, and at that point it's just weird to have built a entirely new engine for a single game. (in reality, there is probably a bunch of stuff they can take from the engine as it is now and bring to the next platform, or it's like Frostbite and just scales up when more power is available)

But creating a engine that works on two platforms will undoubtly come with some compromises at some juncture, so it would be preferable to do two several engines, and at that point it's just weird to have built a entirely new engine for a single game. (in reality, there is probably a bunch of stuff they can take from the engine as it is now and bring to the next platform, or it's like Frostbite and just scales up when more power is available)

Tell that to Crytek.

GavinGT

Banned
So it can be interated on the newer platform?

I don't think Microsoft would sign off on this and I don't think it's terribly practical, either. That would have to be an incredibly versatile engine to be able to coax these graphics out of the 360 and still be applicable to completely different hardware that's nearly a decade newer.

TheOddOne

IMO "new engine" is too broad and vague. Its likely at its core the blam! engine, but modified to their needs. There is still halo tech since you aren't going to throw away everything and start from scratch.
The developers literally say that they created a new internal engine during the Gameinformer interview. I dunno how you can say it isn't.

I don't think Microsoft would sign off on this and I don't think it's terribly practical, either. That would have to be an incredibly versatile engine to be able to coax these graphics out of the 360 and still be applicable to completely different hardware that's nearly a decade newer.

That's what I mean with iterate, they can add and improve for the engine without having to create a whole new one.

The engine now is optimised for the 360, it can be optimised for newer hardware. Built it now, iterate and you pretty much have a rock solid engine for a couple of years.

KageMaru

Tell that to Crytek.

Crytek have a vested interest in supporting multiple APIs and probably has a larger engineering team than 343i. Not really comparable.

The developers literally say that they created a new internal engine during the Gameinformer interview. I dunno how you can say it isn't.

Believe what you want, it just can be spun so easily I'm automatically skeptical. Take Halo 3 engine, make different modifications than bungie's reach engine and blamo our new engine. In reality it can be true and untrue at the same time depending on how you look at it. Besides IIRC that's not the only time Frankie mentioned the game was built off of halo tech.

yup.png

My argument is of a higher quality.

More Halo? Absolutely, but I always felt like 3 was a nice end for Chief, what with (at the time, at least) a lot of people thought
implied that Marathon happened after the credits
. I dunno, I don't follow the series that heavily, I just like the games.

Looking forward to the reveal.

TheOddOne

Believe what you want, it just can be spun so easily I'm automatically skeptical. Take Halo 3 engine, make different modifications than bungie's reach engine and blamo our new engine. In reality it can be true and untrue at the same time depending on how you look at it. Besides IIRC that's not the only time Frankie mentioned the game was built off of halo tech.
Yes, he said that they are using code from how things react within the world i.e. how the warthog reacts. That isn't about graphics though.

Tell that to Crytek.

yeah... tell that to the team that sold out the pc tech so that they could bring you a game that, in most aspects, looks less impressive then their previous one.

No, developing for multiple platforms didn't impact them at all.

Sure, you force developers into learning a bunch of new tricks, they learn to optimize, but then they also have more restraints and more issues with maximizing hardware.

Top Bottom