• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: PS4 controller prototype & devkit photo, [Up: New Photo/Info In OP]

Looks like a couple buttons moved. One by the dpad and one between the Analogue Sticks.

Not sure what to think of it yet, but will reserve judgement until I see a final version.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
I wouldn't ask for more!

iZ8Zj5EGGvmGE.jpg

What is this?

CREMSteve

I like that the sticks are designed so my fingers won't slide off of them, but retain the convex shape, nice compromise for the two factions that argue concave/convex.

What is that in the center? Is it a microphone, lord I hope not. That's all I need while playing, is to listen to click, clack, click, clack of people's controllers coming through my headphones. That's almost as bad of an idea as using a camera mounted right below a TV's speakers as your primary microphone.

Looks awesome to me.

Should also allow for pointer controls akin to the Sony Android TV. Not quite like the Wii but close enough.

It literally includes every controller option I wanted in a controller. Awesome, Sony. Awesome.

Rootbeer

Banned
not sold on having a touch pad on there. seriously, even on my Wii U when scrolling around i use the right analog stick, it's more precise and you don't have to worry about finger friction which happens if it's even the slightest bit smudged.

The vita hasn't managed to demonstrate compelling uses of touch in games (back *or* front IMO, save in a few very rare cases) and I'm not convinced this will either. Every time I'm forced to use touch I just wish I could use a button input somehow instead.

Big news here if that's the actual PS4 devkit (you know, for collecting purposes).

And goddamn, some people here need to recognize what's a prototype and what isn't. With that said, I don't see a big advatage to put a touchpad on there because of the thumb's ratio, but I do hope I'm wrong.

It's actually pretty small if it's the devkit. At least compared to the monster that is the PS3 kit

final-ps3-dev-kit-tidbpzra.jpg

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
I like the rounder, bulkier design. Concave sticks = yes. Still symmetrical layout but the sticks seem further apart which is nice.

So is that a speaker or a mic on the bottom of the controller?

also, that light bar on the top... So the controller can function like the move controller too?

Z3M0G

PS Move tech built right into the controller (glowing blu area on the top). I imagined what this would be like some time ago... I think I'm happy to see that!

.la1n

Glad they are sticking with the basic dual shock design, I am happy with it as is. Sony learned from the boomerang backlash.

Love the Vita D-Pad. Not too sure whats going on with the Move light but with it being there at least we can forget about it in time. I expect the final version to be nice and slim.

Now the ball is rolling =D

It is definitely a prototype and looks like it is a revision or 2 from completion, but I hope the vita dpad and concave triggers make the final build.

This looks much closer to a 360 pad and since that is by far my favorite controller I am pretty stoked with this. It looks much more comfortable ergonomically

Looks like something of an improvement ergonomically, but still quite poor in that regard. Hopefully looks are deceiving. Actually, hopefully this is just a mockup that won't be indicative of the final shape.

Top Bottom