• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U announced - "Rethink the conventions of Zelda"

SteeloDMZ

Banned
If I go to a Zelda thread an 8/10 posters are saying it sucked, that sticks out much more a gaf GOTY award.

You have some problems if you think the game "sucked". Saying it wasn't your favorite? Totally acceptable. Saying it was disappointing to you? Reasonable enough. Saying that it was a bad game? Stupidity at its best.

Tookay

Link seriously needs to be by himself this time around. No more Fi. No more Navi.

Ever.

The only way they're doing that is if he talks (aloud to himself, a la Drake or something).

They need to impart info somehow to your character, even in the most isolated of situations. That's why they keep doing it.

It's late Nintendo. I discovered from software and it replaced Zelda as adventure titles with the souls games

The Souls games were two of my favorite games this console generation, if not my absolute favorites. But the amount in which both games gave me a Zelda fix?

Zero, and that's because they're not Zelda games. You're not in Hyrule, you're not Link, you're not puzzle solving in an array of dungeons, there's no Zelda music or Zelda charm in them, and so on.

I get that you said that you found them to be replacements, and that's fine, they're amazing games, but they don't give me a Zelda fix. Nor do they give me a Metroid or Castlevania fix. They give me a Souls fix.

I totally respect your opinion! I'm just saying, for me, there is no replacement.

mantidor

When I read the SS Iwata Asks, I imagined a Zelda game where I would have to go back into old dungeons with new items and dungeons that had multiple parts spread out across the area. What I got was more like doing a dungeon before entering the dungeon and then coming back later to do a collectathon.

Nintendo did that with the temple of the Ocean King in Phantom Hourglass, a bunch of people screamed and whined how it was absolutely terrible.

Nintendo can't win, I hope they never listen to their so called Zelda fans ever again.

Nintendo did that with the temple of the Ocean King in Phantom Hourglass, a bunch of people screamed and whined how it was absolutely terrible.

Yes, that's because it was terrible. It's possible to do this without being terrible. It was bad because of the extensive amount in which you had to return to that one dungeon. Hardly the same thing that people are suggesting.

Beth Cyra

Zelda MMO ?

That would be another destroyed franshise, i hope they are just kidding
What the hell? How did you come up with MMO? I dislike Multi a lot but Jesus people, just because something has multiplayer doesn't mean you need to start screaming MMO every damn time.

BadAss2961

The only way they're doing that is if he talks (aloud to himself, a la Drake or something).

They need to impart info somehow to your character, even in the most isolated of situations. That's why they keep doing it.
Whether Link talks or not, there better be voice acting in this game. Why am I asking for this in 2013?

mantidor

Yes, that's because it was terrible. It's possible to do this without being terrible. It was bad because of the extensive amount in which you had to return to that one dungeon. Hardly the same thing that people are suggesting.

extensive amount? it was like three times and each one was far faster than the previous one thanks to your newly acquired abilities.

People really complain just for the sake of complaining.

BillyBats

Banned
Yes they would. VO's aren't useful in 90% of games that have them as is.

Could you give some examples? I could see if you're speaking literally, then sure, you could just have some text up there. But voice acting adds a shit ton to many games (when well done). It fleshes out characters, makes the experience more believable. If ANY series could benefit from awesome voice acting, it's Zelda. They have tons of different goofy characters to add personality to. Or is this one of those Nintendo defense mechanisms? "Zelda doesn't need voice acting, it wouldn't be a Zelda game then." If that's the case, I guess I'll go watch Monsters Inc. on mute with cc. Hey, voices aren't useful in 90 percent of movies either.

Nintendo can't win, I hope they never listen to their so called Zelda fans ever again.

I didn't say go back to the same dungeon 12 times.

BraXzy

I really don't want voice acting. I think it'll take me out of the immersion of a new Zelda. If they do go that route, PLEASE no voice acting for Link.

Hopefully there will be lots of secrets, secret areas, secret bosses, basically secret everything, with this one.

I agree with this!! There is nothing more rewarding and satisfying, than finding something really cool or interesting, or challenging whether it is loot, a puzzle, a secret room, a cryptic clue to something etc.

I hate how in games nowadays if it is a non-linear game stuff like treasure and areas of interest are spoon fed into your eyes via a mini-map or something. The first thing I noticed on Far Cry 3 was the diamonds on the map pointing out loot, I HATED it. Make the new Zelda game promote exploration, and lots of it. Maybe include a setting that lets you choose whether you want secret stuff truly hidden, or half hidden, or pointed out :L That goes for all games though.

b9vkki.gif

Also, don't hate but what is this from? Haven't owned a Nintendo console in a whileeeee

Wiz

Zelda fans never really know what they want in a Zelda game. I'm glad Nintendo doesn't listen to our complaints/suggestions. I'm sure they'll release something great.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I agree with this!! There is nothing more rewarding and satisfying, than finding something really cool or interesting, or challenging whether it is loot, a puzzle, a secret room, a cryptic clue to something etc.

I hate how in games nowadays if it is a non-linear game stuff like treasure and areas of interest are spoon fed into your eyes via a mini-map or something. The first thing I noticed on Far Cry 3 was the diamonds on the map pointing out loot, I HATED it. Make the new Zelda game promote exploration, and lots of it. Maybe include a setting that lets you choose whether you want secret stuff truly hidden, or half hidden, or pointed out :L That goes for all games though.

Also, don't hate but what is this from? Haven't owned a Nintendo console in a whileeeee

Wii U Zelda tech demo.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Could you give some examples? I could see if you're speaking literally, then sure, you could just have some text up there. But voice acting adds a shit ton to many games (when well done). It fleshes out characters, makes the experience more believable.

Not really. I just cancel VA as much as possible in games that have it since it needlessly wastes time.

Also, Other M.

The Boat

You have some problems if you think the game "sucked". Saying it wasn't your favorite? Totally acceptable. Saying it was disappointing to you? Reasonable enough. Saying that it was a bad game? Stupidity at its best.
Raed my posts, I said nothing of the sort. I love TP, it's one of my favorite games ever. People really need to stop jumping to conclusions and focus on reading comprehension.

spekkeh

Banned
I'm not really hyped for this to be frank. Aonuma should've really been allowed to do something else, I think it's clear from the designs of the Zelda games that he has franchise fatigue. It's just ticking the boxes. Even when they did upend it a bit with Skyward Sword there didn't seem to be any heart in it and they were playing it safe in everything else. Wasn't that what Miyamoto said too, that Zelda was too important to give away to an American studio. Because god forbid they might do something interesting with it.

So there we have Aonuma yet again having to make another Zelda, even though he was done with it after WW.

I do like the idea of a more open world though; they at least got that right, that exploration and wonder is the most important thing of adventure games.

Tookay

Whether Link talks or not, there better be voice acting in this game. Why am I asking for this in 2013?

I agree. It's ridiculous.

Nintendo's proven they can handle VA with Kid Icarus (along with a number of other games). If Aonuma wants to challenge the conventions of Zelda, maybe he can start with the way he presents the story as well. It's like somebody has to light a fire under his ass for him to ever change in obvious ways (orchestration).

Not really. I just cancel VA as much as possible in games that have it since it needlessly wastes time.

Also, Other M.

So because Other M blew, we should never attempt VA again? You realize that one bad result doesn't invalidate many good ones, or the potential of actually progressing?

Brera

Banned
Hopefully they mean doing that on their own terms. Fuck trying to listen to all parts of that fucked up fanbase at the same time.

This.

Nintendo was best when it did what it wanted, when it wanted.

Don't listen to us Nintendo. Just give us the goodies like in the old days :-(

Wiz

I think the Wii U Zelda will have voice acting (except for Link). My only hope is that Nintendo goes all out on it and gets great actors.

Gestahl

I have SS, but have only had time to play it briefly, like 1.30 h or so. Is the exploration non existant?

It's even worse than Twilight Princess since they punch you in the spine for even thinking about exploring the sky realm early on with those cube chests you can't open being the only worthwhile thing you can find.

The Boat

It's even worse than Twilight Princess since they punch you in the spine for even thinking about exploring the sky realm early on with those cube chests you can't open being the only worthwhile thing you can find.
You realise that to open the cube chests you'll need to explore right? So... What you're saying doesn't really make sense.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
So because Other M blew, we should never attempt VA again? You realize that one bad result doesn't invalidate many good ones, or the potential of actually progressing?

Wasting my time isn't progress.

"Every single dev must waste tons of time and money adding in a feature most people don't pay attention to! It's PROGRESS!"

Persona86

Banned
Surprise me Nintendo, that's what good Zelda games are about, make the game full of surprises around every corner to help promote that good feeling of wanting to explore the world (also make sure the world is actually full of life and things to do haha). Do your thing Nintendo, give us the magic.

Tookay

Wasting my time isn't progress.

"Every single dev must waste tons of time and money adding in a feature most people don't pay attention to! It's PROGRESS!"

Most people don't pay attention to the music in their games either.

Doesn't mean that such features are useless or don't contribute to an atmosphere.

This is really backward thinking and it's exactly the type of thing that's holding Nintendo back.

You're thinking of all the ways it could go on and saying "stop," instead of thinking of all the ways it could go right and say "go ahead." Nobody says that the game has TO STOP when people start talking (which in case you haven't noticed, is currently what happens anyway when characters blab in text boxes in Zelda).

extensive amount? it was like three times and each one was far faster than the previous one thanks to your newly acquired abilities.

People really complain just for the sake of complaining.

Not to mention almost every time you returned new items allowed you to take shortcuts

Yonafunu

I think this'll be a real 'reborn' Zelda experience. This would explain why Nintendo decided to release the official timeline, after all these years. They're ready to move on, and maybe start a new timeline, or at least break free from the current one.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
You're thinking of all the ways it could go on and saying "stop," instead of thinking of all the ways it could go right and say "go ahead." Nobody says that the game has TO STOP when people start talking (which in case you haven't noticed, is currently what happens anyway when characters blab in text boxes in Zelda).
The games always STOP when people start talking.
What you're talking about isn't progress. It's mindless homogenization.

Not even hyped anymore. I played TP and couldn't do much of SS. Just didn't feel the same as they used to. That could be me, or it could be them.

Still though...I just don't find myself giving enough of a crap about it to get excited. I feel let down by the last two.

Tookay

So expecting characters in a world to speak using voiced dialogue, through the power afforded by modern technology and the greater capacity storage mediums than the 8-bit era, isn't progress. It's just boring homogenization.

Okay.

(And you still can have VA given while you are playing. See: Kid Icarus, Star Fox, etc. Nobody is saying the game has to stop... if only the people making the game realize this too.)

Zelda games already "STOP" when people talk. If anything, voicing them would allow the dialogue to not stop the game, considering you wouldn't have to stop and read what the characters are saying.

I for one really want voice acting in the new Zelda. Voice acting, when done well, adds so much character to the world that otherwise can't be done. Compare the voiceless Japanese version of Dragon Quest VIII to the completely voiced localized version. The difference is night and day.

If anything the way that the characters were constantly vocalizing in Skyward Sword suggests that they may be on their way there. Ghirahim was especially ridiculous in his level of constant grunting and moaning.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
So expecting characters in a world to speak using voiced dialogue, through the power afforded by modern technology and the greater capacity storage mediums than the 8-bit era, isn't progress. It's just boring homogenization.

Okay.
If you expect every game to have VA regardless of obvious stylistic choices not to use it, then yes, you're just wanting it because it's everywhere else.

(And you still can have VA given while you are playing. See: Kid Icarus, Star Fox, etc. Nobody is saying the game has to stop... if only the people making the game realize this too.)
Starfox got worse with VA.

Their new Zelda idea seems like the game we've been waiting for all along ;_;
Non-linearity and Co-op?!

Let's just hope people don't complain this time! ha... haha!

Top Bottom