• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiegel: Trump Is A Menace To The World

SpaceWolf

Banned
d24e9df5bf2512525ef811e669b71486a966a858_hq.gif

Missed an opportunity to photoshop Trump's face over Faye's.

And yet somehow Republicans in this country are so damn deluded they can't see how incompetent and unfit Trump is. Their party leadership has completely failed the country. They should have never allowed him to run on their ticket as a Republican.

Say what you will about the Bush administration, but at least they were competent. I disagreed with most of what they did, but I didn't fear for the future of the world under their leadership.

Acheteedo

I'm deeply worried about how much he seems to be following Russia's desires. It might be out of bone-headed ignorance rather than malicious intent, but his treatment of Germany seems like a red flag, and it's playing right into Russia's hands. They've comfortably proven over the last three years alone just how dangerous a threat they are to Europe, America, and the world.

And yet somehow Republicans in this country are so damn deluded they can't see how incompetent and unfit Trump is. Their party leadership has completely failed the country. They should have never allowed him to run on their ticket as a Republican.

Most of them sadly do realize it; most of them don't care. Trump is an instrument that allows them to control the executive branch, allowing their current dominance of legislative branch to be more productive with their deregulation and funding cuts.

His usefulness extends as far as his popularity, or maybe even his controversy, since almost all liberal media is so focused on his admin's day to day activities.

Acheteedo

Every word is gospel there. The worst part is the yesterday was Trump's best day. Every day he gets more exhausted, more erratic and less people willing to work with him. Need to win in 2018 but it will only get worse.

Well said, it's a downward spiral, the consequences will becomes extremely serious very soon at this rate.

I'm deeply worried about how much he seems to be following Russia's desires. It might be out of bone-headed ignorance rather than malicious intent, but his treatment of Germany seems like a red flag, and it's playing right into Russia's hands. They've comfortably proven over the last three years alone just how dangerous a threat they are to the Europe, America, and the world.

Trump already gave Russia what they wanted. Putin's influence will grow and the rest of the world will pull away from the US.

RinsFury

Every day that orange piece of shit is allowed to remain in power is an affront to humanity. Every day he is responsible for new horrors.

Oersted

I'm deeply worried about how much he seems to be following Russia's desires. It might be out of bone-headed ignorance rather than malicious intent, but his treatment of Germany seems like a red flag, and it's playing right into Russia's hands. They've comfortably proven over the last three years alone just how dangerous a threat they are to the Europe, America, and the world.

Russia interfered in the American elections. Thats a fact.

Republicans and Trump in particular have yet to show signs of disapproval for that.

So far it has been the opposite

Trump-Lavrov.jpg

Dryk

• Doesn't possess the requisite qualifications
  • No relevant experience
  • Unprofessional demeanour
  • Has no idea what the role entails
  • Has clearly done no research into the organisation
I fail to tick those boxes too. How come this arsehole can get a job and I can't?

Entire Republican party is a cancer to the world imo

If our intelligence and law enforcement agencies can't put an end to GOP collusion with the Russians, sane America is going to need help to turn the tide. We can't beat the hordes of brainwashed idiots that vote Republican, our corrupted oligarchs, AND Russia alone.

Entire Republican party is a cancer to the world imo
They aren't cancer they just like small immunity systems. Non of this big immunity shit, so wasteful on body energy economy! Want to give immunity rights back to the extremities. If the leg gets cancer or Gangrene that's their problem! Rabble rabble rabble

Link

The Autumn Wind
This is something that needed to be written. Brutally honest without pulling punches. No soft language or analogies, just the cold hard truth.

You know, it's kinda sad that it takes a foreign magazine editor from across the Atlantic to utter such words. Where the hell are the Democrats?? And the >50% people who didn't vote Trump??

Shahadan

• No relevant experience
I fail to tick those boxes too. How come this arsehole can get a job and I can't?

The lesson here is to just behave like you own the place and people will hire you!

This is what every American newspaper should have been running with every single day of last year. But nope. Instead we get warmed-over, handwringing "both sides do it" centrism.

You know, it's kinda sad that it takes a foreign magazine editor from across the Atlantic to utter such words. Where the hell are the Democrats?? And the >50% people who didn't vote Trump??
Regular reminder than, among those who were eligible to vote, less than one-quarter of them actually cast a vote for Donald Trump.

Occam

The problem is, we already know that, and those who put him in office are willfully ignorant.
As shown by recent local elections, they continue to vote Republican even now.

Republicans have stupidified their voters for over 30 years, by making public education as bad as possible and by building a large media network dedicated to brainwashing the country, spearheaded by Fox News. In most other western countries, Fox News would have lost its broadcasting license long ago because it is unquestionably a propaganda channel that twists facts and presents outright lies 24/7. In the US, anything goes because "freedom of speech". A democracy can't function if half the people live inside a fictional alternate reality.

Tovarisc

Meanwhile European leaders are trying to convince Trump on climate accord.

European leaders have mounted a last-ditch effort to stop President Donald Trump from abandoning the Paris climate accord, using multiple meetings this week to sell the American leader on the global agreement to reduce carbon emissions.

French President Emmanuel Macron spoke with Trump at length about the climate deal during a meeting Thursday in Brussels. At the Vatican earlier in the week, Cardinal Secretary of State Pietro Parolin made his own pro-Paris pitch to Trump and his advisers. The matter was also expected to be a central focus of Trump’s two days of talks at the Group of 7 summit, which kicked off Friday on the picturesque Sicilian coast.

Nikolai Fichtner, spokesman for the German environment ministry, said the Europeans were “lobbying at all levels right now for the U.S. to remain in the Paris agreement.”

Source and more https://www.apnews.com/088c39d02cbc...making-sales-pitch-to-Trump-on-climate-accord

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Ingraining the "all criticism is lies and slander" mantra into every republican voter was the legit perfect tactic to counter literally anything negative. It's crazy how well it works, and how Trump went with this exact plan from the get-go.

Patrick S.

Banned
  • No relevant experience

Because his hands are bigger than yours.

Zolo

Ingraining the "all criticism is lies and slander" mantra into every republican voter was the legit perfect tactic to counter literally anything negative. It's crazy how well it works, and how Trump went with this exact plan from the get-go.

I feel it doesn't work well with a second term voting and probably in the long run though. Which explains why the person who'd do it wasn't a Republican politician.

This part hits me the hardest:

Spiegel said:
[A]fter just 120 days of the Trump administration, we are witness to an American tragedy for which there are five theoretical solutions.

...Fifth: the international community wakes up and finds a way to circumvent the White House and free itself of its dependence on the U.S. Unlike the preceding four options, the fifth doesn't directly solve the Trump problem, but it is nevertheless necessary - and possible.

In some sense, I can make peace with the terrible domestic policy -- we can fight back against it. But it's the awful foreign policy that stings the most. The near complete abdication of America's role in the world, the willful surrender of our international stature -- is disgusting.

I agree with some sense of America not being so interventionist, but that's not what Trump is doing -- he's just tossing our traditional allies aside to rub elbows with autocrats.

I am accustomed to believing the congressional Republicans are horrid monsters who care only about tax cuts and destroying Obama's legacy, but I'm shocked at their complete abandonment of foreign policy at Trump's doorstep. In what way does pissing off the UK, Germany, and our natural allies lead to bigger tax cuts to rich people?

Just, man... How the hell are we in a world where the US president is brown-nosing to Russia and bad-mouthing NATO?

Like, for real, who the fuck (who is not Russia) has a problem with NATO? They standardize on ammunition specifications and have kept the peace in Europe for seven decades!

Occam

There's an eerie similarity between the Republican base and brainwashed cultists.

I feel that this tactic has only worked so far because there has not really been a direct effect on Trump's voters/supporters yet. It's rather easy to get away with this all when, day-to-day, people can lead their lives the same as they did on January 19th.

When the economy slumps, or when dropped-coverage notices go out (if AHCA becomes law) it will be nearly impossible to not notice the real effects of Trump's presidency.

Pretty brutal. But unfortunately, Pence is just as scary, if not more.

He's not.

This meme needs to die. Yes, Pence would have a lot of really bad policy. However, he would be massively handicapped in 2018.

Imagine what the midterms are gonna look like for Republicans with Trump ousted in disgrace and the extent to which they went out of their way to go down with his ship. It's gonna be a massacre. Dems definitely take the house and have a (very long shot) at the senate in this scenario.

Also, after this international trip, yesterday at NATO, giving intel to Russians and the Philippines........ that's beyond the pale. That's an existential threat to the world. Pence is nowhere near as bad.

You know, I agree with everything, but I don't think he should be kicked from the WH. Despite everything, he is the democraticly elected President, and it is against democracy to remove it, unless it is by popular vote. I think this for any country. The exception is when it start to law against democracy itself.

Trump is the one of the biggest mistakes the US has made, and people has to realise that, and there is still plenty of people that don't. Keep him until the US itself sees how wrong they were.

This is completely wrong. Why else would the constitution provide mechanisms to remove the president, if not to use them in cases like this?

You know, I agree with everything, but I don't think he should be kicked from the WH. Despite everything, he is the democraticly elected President, and it is against democracy to remove it, unless it is by popular vote. I think this for any country. The exception is when it start to law against democracy itself.

Trump is the one of the biggest mistakes the US has made, and people has to realise that, and there is still plenty of people that don't. Keep him until the US itself sees how wrong they were.

Ms.Galaxy

The problem is, we already know that, and those who put him in office are willfully ignorant.
As shown by recent local elections, they continue to vote Republican even now.

Republicans have stupidified their voters for over 30 years, by making public education as bad as possible and by building a large media network dedicated to brainwashing the country, spearheaded by Fox News. In most other western countries, Fox News would have lost its broadcasting license long ago because it is unquestionably a propaganda channel that twists facts and presents outright lies 24/7. In the US, anything goes because "freedom of speech". A democracy can't function if half the people live inside a fictional alternate reality.

It's this fact that scares me the most. A good chunk of the nation is living inside some insane fictional alternative reality where liberals, the media, the schools, minorities, and the Democrats are trying to take over the country and turn into a dystopia. A lot of them no longer see us as humans with different ideas and beliefs on how we can progress into the future but as the enemy trying to destroy them and persecute them. They literally see us as things that needs to die and will do anything to get it, even vote against their interest.

Fox News and other right wing media is causing a lot of harm going forward. I feel like fake news like Pizzagate and the conspiracy of Seth Rich's death is just the beginning, and as we saw with Pizzagate, it's going to cause people to "take justice into their own hands" (because no cop is going to investigate something without actual evidence and even if they did, their investigations will never satisfy these people) and they're going to start hurting and even killing innocent people because of it. These propaganda machines need to go away.

America's democracy is very flawed, some don't even consider it a democracy. For example, Clinton would be in his seat, as she won the popular vote by around 3 million votes, and all of this wouldn't have happened. Truth is, the founding fathers never trusted us to vote in competent people, even set up the electoral college to have the right to switch their votes in case we voted a moron or demagogue as our president. Back then, I don't think even the people could have voted, only landowners I believe had that right.

As for impeachment, I feel it's necessary for a democracy to have it. No country should tolerate a leader who's clearly destroying and harming the nation as a whole. My only thing is that impeachment should also be allowed to be triggered by the people if the mass majority wants it (at least 60 to 70 percent.)

jstripes

Banned
Is "der spiegel" German for "the obvious"?

Anyway, when the Germans recognize someone as a menace to the world, maybe they're onto something.

Top Bottom