• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guy gets hit by a car. Cop asks his immigration status before offering medical aid.

Video at the link.

Univision said:
A 31-year-old undocumented Honduran bicyclist, Marcos Antonio Huete, was hit by a car in Key West (Florida) on his way to work. The policeman's camera shows him inquiring about the victim's immigration status before offering medical assistance. He was later detained by the Border Patrol.

Everything was recorded on the body cameras of the police who responded to the accident.

Marcos Antonio Huete, a 31-year-old Honduran immigrant, was lying on a sidewalk next to his bicycle after being hit April 27 by a GMC Sierra pickup truck on his way to work in Key West in the Florida Keys.

"You illegal? Are you a legal citizen or no? Speak English? You got ID? Passport, visa, or what? a Monroe County sheriff asked Huete insistently, according to the video.

Still on the ground, Huete answers with monosyllables before using a cell phone to call his sister, who arrived at the scene soon after.

Hours after the accident Huete left hospital on crutches and was sent to the Krome Detention Center near Miami, where he has spent almost a month in detention pending possible deportation.

According to his sister, Olga Huete, after he was discharged from the hospital a police officer told them to return to the scene of the accident. "He did not tell us why, but we went back because my brother had not done anything. We had no reason to flee."

Personally, asking someone who just got hit by a car if they're here legally wouldn't cross my mind, but that's just me.

Machina

Banned
giphy.gif

poodaddy

Sounds about right. I once took out the windshield in my buddy's Volkswagen with my head when he got in a wreck and the cop asked me why I wasn't wearing my seatbelt as I was pulling shards of glass out of my head. Wrote me a ticket for it too. It's like, "Yeah I fucked up....but don't you think I've already been punished here?"
Southern cops are nothing but high school bullies given power.

Ketch

Not very humane that's for sure. Could have been nice to the guy at least and asked him in a non threatening manner while providing aid....

Wouldn't they have found out at the hospital anyway?

Dierce

That just means that you're not a raging racist asshole. Seems the officer failed that test.

At this point these inhuman racist assholes should be considered above all else psychopaths similar to isis terrorists. They would fit right in with them.

Protein

Banned
You a spic, boy? You ain't gonna use ma tax dollars to pay for your own fuckup. You ain't even from my country ya wetback. You don't deserve medical attention or equal protection of the law or whatever that liberal junk is.

Mohonky

Not very humane that's for sure. Could have been nice to the guy at least and asked him in a non threatening manner while providing aid....

Wouldn't they have found out at the hospital anyway?

Yeh that's what I would assume, get help first as it all has to be documented in hospital anyway.

I'm curious (probably because I live in Australia which is an island) about the whole undocumented / illegal thing. How are people able to work / live / get higher education being undocumented or illegally in the country? Like I can't see how that works, I know it has been a big political argument but as far as I was always aware unless you've gone through the proper channels you are breaking the law still yes? How does that work?

Yeh that's what I would assume, get help first as it all has to be documented in hospital anyway.

I'm curious (probably because I live in Australia which is an island) about the whole undocumented / illegal thing. How are people able to work / live / get higher education being undocumented or illegally in the country? Like I can't see how that works, I know it has been a big political argument but as far as I was always aware unless you've gone through the proper channels you are breaking the law still yes? How does that work?

Technically yes, but a majority are just minding their own business/benefiting society/just trying to help their families. We have bigger things to worry about.

daveo42

Banned
And law enforcement agencies are wondering why way less crimes are being reporting by the Latino community in the past three months. Must be all that LAW & ORDER.

A buddy of mine and his wife was driving from San Diego after attending a cultural event there to his home in LA. He said he was harrased by cops at checkpoints who kept asking if he's legal immigrant or not!

televator

Me to the cop: "You human?"

Rather limp my broken legged ass to the hospital than get "helped" by white power pigs anyway.

I have heard from many people that white supremacists are actively being recruited into police work around the country. I'm beginning to believe it.

I'm still a little annoyed about a thread a poster who's a cop made some months back that got closed real quick, basically saying he got invited to some private, massive cops-only Facebook group (well, I think it was Facebook) and wanted to know how to proceed because of the apparently horrible shit he saw.

Top Bottom