• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest iPhone 8 rumor says Apple cracked the code & got the fingerprint in the screen

NekoFever

ESPECIALLY when your phone is sitting screen up on your desk and you want to unlock/use it without having to pick it up. That's when the back sensor truly shines.

I was reading this thread on my phone while it sits on my desk where I unlocked it without picking it up.

It has always been the case that there are iOS features not revealed at WWDC but showing up in the new iPhone. One recent example is 3D Touch with the 6S.
yeah for sure. But this time it seems a lot more significant. Like many many key ways people interact with iphone will be different in 8. It seems like two major ios reveals. One in WWDC and then another big ios reveal in September.

LeleSocho

Banned
i'm sure it will be aesthetically pleasing but i'm not buying a 18,5:9 oled screen for my phone.
I hope they trimmed the side bezels of the 7S because that's what i want.

If true it will need a much improved oleophobic coating than the 7.

I didn't think about this but it's so true. I kinda doubt they'll advance much in that area but I sure do hope so.

Although, honestly? I'll just be buying some shitty screen protector with terrible to non-existent oleophobic coating so it doesn't really matter anyway...

They got it, they don't got it, they got it, they don't got it, they got it, they don't got it, they got it....

This flower has a billion pedals, let's just wait and see when it's announced. There rumors are so contradictory that at this point there is simply no point listening to them. We'll have another rumor saying it's on the back again within a week. And another confirming the front the week after that. Useless.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
They got it, they don't got it, they got it, they don't got it, they got it, they don't got it, they got it....

This flower has a billion pedals, let's just wait and see when it's announced. There rumors are so contradictory that at this point there is simply no point listening to them. We'll have another rumor saying it's on the back again within a week. And another confirming the front the week after that. Useless.
Yeah I don't get why we need new threads on this when it changes every week and we already had a thread where we were discussing newest updates about the mold (and thus fingerprint scanner positioning). Not worth it at this point.

I mean, that recent mockup video is more thread worthy than this.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They extended the vertical space. Cool. Samsung made a wide choice with the S8, and it is a good idea to follow that model. Who else is doing that right now?

And correct me if I'm wrong, but the problem was never that Apple couldn't get TouchID into the display. The problem was they couldn't get the yield high enough for their supply. There was some friction in the production of integrated sensors, which is why they were creating the rear TouchID units as a backup.

I hate the look of the S8. looks wierd with such a tall, thin screen. I'd almost rather they kept the same size screen and cropped the top/bottom.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If they asked people to get nfc chips implanted into their fingers they'd probably do it.

Can't you have the phone stay unlocked if connected to an apple watch or your car bluetooth? Or is that just an android thing?

RdN

That would be nice..

Fingerprint sensor in the back is just bad.. One of my main gripes with the S8.

It's for this reason I've been inclined to believe the rumors from several weeks back that said Apple was going to do something differently this year, and give us a sneak peak of the new iPhone hardware at WWDC.

Didn't they originally unveil new iPhones in early summer?

If they asked people to get nfc chips implanted into their fingers they'd probably do it.

Can't you have the phone stay unlocked if connected to an apple watch or your car bluetooth? Or is that just an android thing?

There are already doing trials for temporary nfc tattoos.

I'd do it.

jstripes

Banned
Apple's also reported to be working on a way to non-intrusively detect blood sugar for the Apple Watch.

Crazy future biometrics.

Gattsu25

Banned
Wasn't this always the rumor? That the $1,000+ iPhone8 (but not the iPhone 7s) was going to have a fingerprint sensor integrated with the screen?

Somnid

So my unscientific observation shows about 60% of all iPhone owners have cracked screens. I wonder what happens then?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Why is that such a big deal?

I mean, it's cool tech, but it changes nothing in terms of QoL.

br3wnor

Wasn't this always the rumor? That the $1,000+ iPhone8 (but not the iPhone 7s) was going to have a fingerprint sensor integrated with the screen?

Yes but the past month rumors have been swirling that Apple couldn't get the tech to scale and were considering going w/ a fingerprint sensor on the back of the phone.

gamz

I hate the look of the S8. looks wierd with such a tall, thin screen. I'd almost rather they kept the same size screen and cropped the top/bottom.

No way. Never been a fan until this generation. I think it makes all other phones look obsolete.

Gattsu25

Banned

I ***hate*** samsung's shitty software. But that S8 design?

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/mOnvOJG.png[/IMG]

Edit:
Yes but the past month rumors have been swirling that Apple couldn't get the tech to scale and were considering going w/ a fingerprint sensor on the back of the phone.
Ahh. Guess I haven't been following the rumors that closely, then.

javac

all praise to the Gods at Cupertino for confirming that the one true fingerprint location is on the front of the phone.

get bent back sensor lovers.

There's a difference between having it anywhere on the 5+inch screen and having it right at the bottom where the home button is, which is a terrible place to have it as phones become bigger :p

There's a difference between having it anywhere on the 5+inch screen and having it right at the bottom where the home button is, which is a terrible place to have it as phones become bigger :p

1) anywhere on the front is better than anywhere on the back.
2) the bottom is the best spot.

I recognize it's the cynic in me, but does anyone else first and foremost think about the fact Apple is getting our fingerprints and retina scans?

ryan299

This rumor seems to change daily. I think a scanner on the back would be stupid so hopefully they figure it out.

TimFL

1) anywhere on the front is better than anywhere on the back.
2) the bottom is the best spot.

I guess the end goal is to have the whole screen function as TouchID. I have most lock screen actions set to require identification (like quick reply). Would be sick to just 3DTouch a notification and interact with it without being prompted to verify your fingerprint because the screen has already identified you.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Pretty sure Apple's version of "all screen" front will be better than Samsung's on the S8.

This about to be iPhone 4 levels of evolutionary fam.

DonShula

So my unscientific observation shows about 60% of all iPhone owners have cracked screens. I wonder what happens then?

I'm sure Apple knows what percentage of cracked screens is out there and is happy to force those users to pay $119 to have the screen replaced at an Apple Store. Seems like a good way to corral an untapped source of revenue. Oh did you want to use your phone with a cracked screen? Well it won't unlock now. $119 please (it'll probably go up to $219).

I'm only half kidding.

ZOONAMI

I had a 7 plus and I think the fingerprint sensor was defective. Didn't work reliably. Have a G6 and it's much faster and pretty much 100%. Still though if ip8 is about $30 a month I will probably use a jump on demand on it.

Top Bottom