• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (May 2017)

aravuus

Bought three more Kindle books and got my copy of The Count of Monte Cristo just now.

Started reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire lol. They're so easy to pick up! Might have to finish the whole series before I can start reading anything new properly.

Very interesting and unexpected about the covers. And I don't mean to put the books down, I'm loving them. I wonder if the soap opera feeling might be restricted to the second book, as I didn't have the same feeling about the first.

Yeah, the third book is when the 'shit gets real, yo'. Despite Lena going off on her own, Lila still plays very heavily in the book, mostly through her employment situation. The politics is more in the forefront, too. So, yeah, far less 'soap opera', I'd say.

And I just saw that the whole thing is coming to HBO, which will obviously help with the visualization, but this will be kinda like filming Proust - what's the point? It's so heavily first person interior monologue (VERY tell, don't show), How does that translate to film? Thinly, I'd think.

Mumei

Bought three more Kindle books and got my copy of The Count of Monte Cristo just now.

Started reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire lol. They're so easy to pick up! Might have to finish the whole series before I can start reading anything new properly.

I hope this means you got the Penguin Classics edition!

Read this a couple of months ago. Excellent book that starts out seemingly as a children's tale (and was adapted as The Sword in the Stone) and ends up far from that. It's really very long though!

Yep. Punches you right in the feels.

Danielsan

Man, I'm going through Ready Player One pretty quickly. Figured it would take me at least until the end of next week given that it's close to 400 pages, but I'm already half way through at the moment. It's such an easy read. Feels good to have the reading bug again.

Some amazing deals on Kindle today. A lot of classics are on sale:

-East of Eden by John Steinbeck
-Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein
-The Godfather by Mario Puzo
-Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
-One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
-On the Road by Jack Kerouac
-2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke
-Foundation by Isaac Asimov
-Lord of the Flies by William Golding

I own all of them except The Godfather. Does anyone have any thoughts on it? It obviously spawned an amazing couple of films. But unlike, say, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest or 2001: A Space Odyssey, I haven't heard much about to original novel itself.

I own all of them except The Godfather. Does anyone have any thoughts on it? It obviously spawned an amazing couple of films. But unlike, say, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest or 2001: A Space Odyssey, I haven't heard much about to original novel itself.
HOLY SHIT. Gonna have to buy one or two of those.

aravuus

Could those be, I don't know, regional or something? Can't buy Foundation on kindle, it just says "This title is not currently available for purchase".

I'm reading DIVINE INVASIONS, Lawrence Sutin's biography of Philip K. Dick, and I'm about halfway through Herbert Bix's HIROHITO AND THE MAKING OF MODERN JAPAN.

MikeRahl

I just finished THE UNDOING PROJECT by Michael Lewis. Pretty interesting book about psychology and statistics and how people are terrible at making decisions. Interesting look at an academic partnership as well.

Krowley

I really enjoyed the Godfather... I would describe it as slightly overblown (in a good way IMO) historical, epic crime fiction.

Bigger than life characters, bigger than life drama, a story that spans generations... That sort of thing.

I remember it being a well executed and addictive page turner, and the character's in the book are just as great as they are in the movie, but you get inside their heads and get more backstory on them.

It's not written as literary fiction, it's straight-up entertainment. It's been a very long time since I read it, so take this recommendation with a grain of salt, but I would give it a definite thumbs up.

It's reads like a longer cut of the movie, as the movie was a very faithful adaption of the novel. The novel has more characters their stories.

Ratrat

The Once and Future King is only $2.99 for Kindle today.

Thanks for the heads up! Grabbed a few of these books.

Thanks for this! Gonna grab Foundation seeing I've never read it.

Morat

Banned
Yeah, I'm wondering too if I would like it. Never read anything by Heinlein.

Definitely read it. Some aspects of it have aged poorly, but overall it holds up well. Particularly the US as a mixture of hyperconsumerism and religious nutcases.

Gateway.jpg

Just finished reading Gateway by Frederik Pohl. My dad had told me many times how much he loved this book so I finally got a copy (there's no Kindle version, yet there are for the sequels).

So the premise is that humans have discovered an asteroid near Venus that was hollowed out and converted into a station by an alien race thousands of years ago. Docked in the asteroid are thousands of small ships that have destinations throughout the galaxy pre-programmed in (as well as the return route to the station). Humans have figured out how to launch the ships, but don't know the destination ahead of time, or how to properly change course to a new destination. A corporation that runs the station allows people to go out in these ships and pays out bonuses (sometimes in the millions) for any scientific or alien artifact discoveries. It's a risk, as you could come out way too close to a star and get fried, or the journey could be so long that your food supplies run out and you starve to death and arrive back at the station a corpse. It's a cool and frightening premise.

Like the best sci-fi tales this book centers on the main character's personal story against this huge backdrop. It almost left me a little frustrated by the end, as there are so many questions I wanted answered about the alien race and the technology, and yet the book stays firmly focused on the main character's struggles. Apparently the sequels really expand on the backstory of the ancient race so I'm looking forward to getting in to those. It can feel a bit dated at times as it was written in the 70s (data storage is referred to as "tapes") but it doesn't really get in the way. Overall if you're looking for a good sci-fi premise and want a quick read I highly recommend it.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination

I'm happy that we keep each other posted about deals.

But My wallet surely isn't happy. Foundation and East of Eden are mine!

Kindle is the greatest.

what do you guys do with old physical books you don't want anymore?

is it even worth it to try and sell them? I'm thinking not.. should I just give them to the library?

WolfeTone

Thanks for these tips. I picked up Cat's Cradle and East of Eden. Of the others I've read Stranger in a Strange Land (enjoyed it, bit weird), On the Road (hated it, don't understand the appeal) and Lord of the Flies (loved it, would not hesitate to recommend it).

How is 2001? I love the movie, but I feel that's mostly down to Kubrick. I'm also interested in Foundation, but I'm trying to avoid sci-fi series these days, too much time commitment. Is it good as a standalone novel without reading the follow up books?

This week I've finished Faceless Evil by Henning Mankell, the first book in the Wallander detective series. I loved it, very short quick read but that's mostly due to the pacing that sucks you in. I don't know what's triggered this love of Scandinavian crime fiction lately, but I'm on board. Some of the political aspects of the book are quite interesting and still relevant despite the book being written in 1990.

I'm now reading In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. Very interesting concept for a pseudo-true crime novel. Supposedly Capote spent 4 years living in the town writing this book and it really shows. The level of detail is astounding. I'm only 25% in but loving it so far. Seems like it might be a long read but so far the pace has been good.

arkon

Could those be, I don't know, regional or something? Can't buy Foundation on kindle, it just says "This title is not currently available for purchase".

It is a regional issue, but you can get around that. I do it all the time. I buy from both the Amazon UK and the US store as they have wildly different deals going on at any one time. You just need a valid US address that you can change your settings to. Switch to that when you want to buy from the US kindle store through the Manage Your Content and Devices page.

aravuus

It is a regional issue, but you can get around that. I do it all the time. I buy from both the Amazon UK and the US store as they have wildly different deals going on at any one time. You just need a valid US address that you can change your settings to. Switch to that when you want to buy from the US kindle store through the Manage Your Content and Devices page.

Hah, well that was easy. Even had a valid US address saved in my existing addresses for some reason. Got Foundation for $1.99. Thanks a ton!

Weird that they even have these kind of regional sales though, considering how easy it is to change your region/country.

Unducks

Neo Member

is it even worth it to try and sell them? I'm thinking not.. should I just give them to the library?

When I've had to move and get rid of a bunch of books, I've usually looked each up on Amazon to see how much they sell for. If they sell over a certain amount then I'll sell on there. If not, then they get donated. If you live near a used bookshop, it's always worth taking a bunch of stuff in to see how many books they'll take and what they'll give you for them.

This sounds awesome.

B.K.

I bought Stranger in a Strange Land today as part of the Kindle Daily Deals. I'm looking forward to reading it eventually. I've never read any Heinlein before.

Mumei

I reread The Goblin Emperor mostly yesterday and the remainder today. Just as fantastic as it was the first time. <3

Mossybrew

Yeah the pace is fairly slow. A lot of characters thrown into the mix and the odd names make it hard to keep track of them all.

Relceroi

Neo Member
I reread The Goblin Emperor mostly yesterday and the remainder today. Just as fantastic as it was the first time. <3

For a book that was published only a few years ago and appears to be quite well-regarded it’s surprisingly difficult to find anywhere, at least locally and/or in formats that I prefer. The audiobook is unavailable in my country and in terms of physical releases the only options are either a slightly too expensive hardcover edition or a mass-market paperback edition which I usually dislike. While it’s not ideal, with any luck I might get the latter of the physical editions come next weekend. I’m looking forward to it.

Recently I began reading The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (which happens to have been originally published in the same years as The Goblin Emperor but is readily available even here) by Becky Chambers.

Mumei

This was in the post box when I got home:

24942688.jpg

Assassin's Fate by Robin Hobb. I'm about to start reading it now :D

That's a much better cover than the one I've seen.

Yeah the pace is fairly slow. A lot of characters thrown into the mix and the odd names make it hard to keep track of them all.

There's a glossary with names and places in the back!

For a book that was published only a few years ago and appears to be quite well-regarded it’s surprisingly difficult to find anywhere, at least locally and/or in formats that I prefer. The audiobook is unavailable in my country and in terms of physical releases the only options are either a slightly too expensive hardcover edition or a mass-market paperback edition which I usually dislike. While it’s not ideal, with any luck I might get the latter of the physical editions come next weekend. I’m looking forward to it.

Recently I began reading The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (which happens to have been originally published in the same years as The Goblin Emperor but is readily available even here) by Becky Chambers.

Yeah, I have the mass market paperback. I'd like to hardcover, but it's ~$30 for a used copy and nearly $50 for a new one. :|

I don't find them hard to keep track since they are unique in their own ways. Or maybe as a ASoIaF fan I was just used to a large cast.

Ah shit I'm realizing I forgot to get Lord of the Flies while it was on sale yesterday.

I don't read physical books all that often but what I do is I put my used ones in a box and when it's filled I take it to Goodwill. I had been saving them to donate to a community library that was in the works but plans for it fell through.

besada

Banned

I sold the majority of my fiction library a couple of months ago to make space for a woodshop. I sold 29 banker's boxes of books, mostly paperback, about 60% science fiction. I made about $250. Just enough tfor buy a band saw.

Great series of books. Pohl was one of the great masters. I had this exact cover on a hardback until recently.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Read my first Gaiman novel, The Ocean at the End of the Lane.

Really enjoyed the prose and mysterious story. Didn't know what to expect and was pleasantly surprised.

Reading it after Malazan felt like biting into cotton candy. So easy. Ahhh!

KonradLaw

Finally finished The Enemy by Tom Wood.
Loved it just as much as the first one. Great action, tight plot and fascinating lead character. There's a lot of good tough-guy book series these days, but Victor above most of the competition because of how compeling the lead is.

Also finished
Very fun and short read. To the point, not dwelling on useless tropes typical for fantasy light novels. It's just a dude who is obsessed with killing goblins and is incredibly inventive at doing it.

Slowly breaking through every canonical Sherlock Holmes story (novels, short stories, etc).

It should go without saying that these are great. They always paint a wonderful picture in the mind.

mu cephei

That's a much better cover than the one I've seen.

The UK hardback editions for this series are really nice. In the flesh, that yellow on the cover is shiny gold. And it has decorative endpapers.

It sounds - rather alarmingly - like you haven't bought a copy!
Also, considering your opinion that Maia makes Fitz look bad, your timing... *grumbles*

(I've been meaning to re-read The Goblin Emperor as well ;) I'm happy it's just as good the second time.)

Getting back into leisure reading after having not picked up any novels in a couple years. Working on these two atm:

I've found most of Stephen King's short stories to be better on average than his novels, so Bazaar has been pretty fun. Little Heaven has been interesting thus far.

Getting back into leisure reading after having not picked up any novels in a couple years. Working on these two atm:

I've found most of Stephen King's short stories to be better on average than his novels, so Bazaar has been pretty fun. Little Heaven has been interesting thus far.
I can definitely recommend Cutter's The Deep and The Troop. Have Little Heaven on my To Read list

Mumei

The UK hardback editions for this series are really nice. In the flesh, that yellow on the cover is shiny gold. And it has decorative endpapers.

It sounds - rather alarmingly - like you haven't bought a copy!
Also, considering your opinion that Maia makes Fitz look bad, your timing... *grumbles*

(I've been meaning to re-read The Goblin Emperor as well ;) I'm happy it's just as good the second time.)

I do think that
Maia makes Fitz look bad, but I also think that Miles is the one I usually think to compare him to.

I need some horror novel recommendations. The posts above reminded me that Nick Cutter is on my list to-read - which of his should I start with?

I've read all of Stephen King (he's my favorite) and I just finished Ship of Fools which Maklershed recommended and I loved it. I'll check out the thread on cosmic horror, but I'm also looking for good, straight-up paranormal stories, too. Recent books I enjoyed were A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay and Bird Box by Josh Malerman.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I finished The People in the Trees. That ending was WELP

W E L P

SanctuaryWings-fullcover.jpg

Top Bottom