• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic mushrooms are the safest recreational drug, study says

Keyouta

I've had them a couple times, good experiences. Was with friends with some nice music, and games. When it kicked in the first time I tried it, I was playing pool in the basement and when I pulled my arm back and it felt like it was on the other side of the room.

Mask

Had em before, can't say I liked them over just weed tbh, massively prefer that. Mushrooms can be very, unstable and not fun if you have fluctuating emotions.

Roxkis_ii

Man... I don't know about shrooms being the safest. I've read some people on reddit talk about how a bad trip could cause PTSD in a worst case scenario while maybe memory loss seems to be the worst effect of smoking too many Jamaican cigarettes.

While many people say shroom are awesome, they should still be treated with respect.

Zaphrynn

Ehh... I agree with most of what you're saying, but a very large percentage of chemicals you buy on blotters these days are verrrrrrry different from what Albert Hofmann synthesized (LSD-25) and ingested himself in the 1940s. Drugs have come a long way since then. I've been fortunate enough to get my hands on some 25 and they were the most beautiful, clean trips I've ever had. Unfortunately, there are hundreds if not thousands of "research chemicals" these days that pose as LSD and are sold on a blotter, only to give folks incredibly intense and sometimes violent trips. I believe most of these chemicals are derived from the 2C family, like 2C-E and so on. These have a much higher intoxication rate and have actually caused several ODs, something pure LSD is essentially incapable of doing (unless you drown yourself in a barrel of acid the size of a keg).

Basically what I'm saying is, people very likely didn't trip harder because it was LSD. They tripped harder because they got sold one of the hundreds of forms of bunk ass shit that makes you hallucinate your balls off with no aspect of mindfulness attached.

The first time I ever tripped was with LSD-25. It's true, nothing really compares. What an absolutely fantastic night that was. And the next day, everything was bright and beautiful and vivid.

This study doesn't surprise me. I really hope LSD and shrooms open up more for testing. There's a lot of potential for them helping with migraines and cluster headaches as well as depression, anxiety, PTSD, etc. Personally, my anxiety and negative thoughts are often way down after a trip. I'll mirror what others have said to: It's given me new perspective many times on various things in my life. Never had a bad trip either, but I'm able to keep my head in a good space when I trip (and I'm careful about my dosage.)

As with everything though, the drugs aren't for everyone.

I always told people that taking mushrooms is like opening a door to another realm. A key to a different mental plane. You're going to be in this new place for a while though. There is no coming back once you open the door. So buckle up.

If you get paranoid smoking herb. Mushrooms are probably not a good idea for you. Don't do it around sober people. Do it in a secure and safe place. Minimize external factors that could lead to a bad trip.

They were always my favorite, but chances are, the average person interested in dabbling with mind altering substances would do better with ex.

Just avoid salvia unless you're an experienced psychonaut. It works, oh yes, but it is most definitely not a party drug.

Stay away from it period. It was awful. I've seen (I was one myself) experienced people have terrible times on that.

Mushrooms are amazing. Some of the best experiences of my life while on mushrooms. Its not possible to appreciate nature with a sober mind as much as you can on shrooms.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Man... I don't know about shrooms being the safest. I've read some people on reddit talk about how a bad trip could cause PTSD in a worst case scenario while maybe memory loss seems to be the worst effect of smoking too many Jamaican cigarettes.

You don't think weed can trigger PTSD?

SoundLad

Mushrooms are the best

Best thing about them is that in the autumn they grow wild where I live (liberty caps) - I tend to have an experience with them about once a year and it's just a great time in a safe setting, words can't explain it very well but it's definitely an otherwordly experience.

Nafai1123

Banned
I've done them so many times that they now make me feel like shit and I can't do them anymore.

Weed is safer imo. Doesn't feel like I'm poising my body every time I do it.

subrock

I've done them so many times that they now make me feel like shit and I can't do them anymore.

Weed is safer imo. Doesn't feel like I'm poising my body every time I do it.

Shrooms are actually not toxic at all. There are myths about brain bleeding and liver damage, when in reality you'd need to eat something like 17kg of fresh mushrooms for a toxic effect. Eating 17kg of water will kill you too.

Nafai1123

Banned
Shrooms are actually not toxic at all. There are myths about brain bleeding and liver damage, when in reality you'd need to eat something like 17kg of fresh mushrooms for a toxic effect. Eating 17kg of water will kill you too.

All I know is how they make my body feel, and they make my body feel like it's being poisoned lol.

None of these tests account for psychological damage done as a result of using and experiencing the effects of these drugs. Everyone's mind is different and most psychedelics are harmless from a biological standpoint. Psychological is a whole different story, for some, it can be very damaging to the mind.

RangerX

Banned
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...afest-recreational-drug-study-says/341691001/

So I thought this was interesting. Obviously, the article does not talk about potential effects it has on, say, neurotoxicity, but regardless, it makes perfect sense given how the mushroom works, apparently. Of course, it's not risk free (the fact that you often do not have control of your thoughts is enough to make me never attempt them), but it's still in line with what I expected.

I've taken shrooms a few times. It was good craic. The first time I took too many and everything was a bit batshit crazy but the other times were pretty chill. Good times.

Flo_Evans

Man I haven't had shrooms for a while. Wife had a bad experience once and swore them off forever. She sat down in the middle of a festival and wouldn't move for like 4 hours.

Took some last friday, wasnt enough it seems. I felt a bit like I was really tall and everyone else was too small, but besides that I still didnt see anything. Also started laughing at not funny thing.

Also after 2 hours I was back to my old self.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
This is weird to me as you literally can't overdose on LSD.. like you can say goodbye to reality for a crazy long period of time but anyone in the hospital for it is there because they are freaking out and scared not because they are in physical trouble.

taking the wrong mushrooms can seriously fuck you shit up. I've always been cautious buying from dealers cause you just never fuckin know. Also 1 bad experience with Sunny-D and throwing up and now my brain plays HARD tricks on me and i can never ever keep em down. Turned into a waste of money for me so I just stopped trying.

LSD is the best thing ever, fyi, and i encourage everyone to try a safe dose with some good friends around to keep you in good spirits and out of trouble. Best experiences of my life and I've taken thousands of hits. Even the scariest shit was the most fun. Just an eye opening and wonderful drug.

edit: reading more replies - the only one i would hard avoid would be 2c-b

I've had both good and bad times on magic mushrooms. The bad times were when I drank loads of alcohol with them, something I'll make sure to avoid if I take them again.

My favourite memory is watching my legs run away from me. Such a weird thing to see.

subrock

None of these tests account for psychological damage done as a result of using and experiencing the effects of these drugs. Everyone's mind is different and most psychedelics are harmless from a biological standpoint. Psychological is a whole different story, for some, it can be very damaging to the mind.

totally true. There have been studies that have shown a correlation with uncovering latent psychosis in those that are already at higher risk to develop it. Weed comes with a slightly higher risk of that than mushrooms do.

That being said, we hold psychedelics to an unfair standard because western culture generally doesn't like altered states of consciousness. Weed and alcohol have a higher risk for developing psychosis/addiction/mental health issues but they are quite a bit more normalized.

Also on the flip-side of the risks, mushrooms are also being used in studies to cure (with a 3-6 month effect) drug resistant depression with only one dose. Fact is, we need more knowledge about psychedelics but they're very very difficult to study right now as a schedule 1 drug.

I've always been intrigued by Ketamine, for a similar type of drug, or somewhat. The effects are just too scary for me to even attempt to use them, though.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
They're pretty common in SEA. I wish they had a more "trippy" or enlightening effect on me, but every time I try one the most that happens is a slight shift in my perception in time and a substantial increase in appetite.

Does time slow or speed up?

Razorback

Psychedelics like mushrooms and LSD are the safest drugs around when it comes to toxicity. Pretty much impossible to overdose on either of them. But be on the lookout for things being sold as LSD that aren't LSD like 25I-NBOMe. People have died from as little as two tabs.

But physical safety isn't everything. You better have done your homework when it comes to these substances because they are the most powerful experiences one can have, positive or negative.

The Lamp

I've been told by more than one person that shrooms can permanently change your personality and the way you think. Not so sure if it's true. But it sounds like a trip.

Reeks

So the survey is based on whether people who took the substance said they needed medical treatment, which means there's probably no controlling for purity of the substance ingested.

Purity? Do people eat mushrooms cut with stuff? I don't get it. Do you mean amount?

There was also a study done where psilocybin was used to treat depression and anxiety in cancer patients with great success.

On an anecdotal note. Last year I was suffering from crippling anxiety and depression and I was out on a camping trip off the coast of Tofino in BC here and I took some mushrooms. The bioluminescent plankton was washing up on the beach. The whole shore was glowing blue. The waves crashing were glowing blue. It was a perfectly clear night with zero light polution. You could see the Milky Way so perfectly and bright. I just stood there alone and contemplated my life and what had happened and what was going on with me and stuff. The depression and anxiety vanished. It never really came back either.

Im not necessarily claiming that the mushrooms cured me as I was getting help for it elsewhere and I was taking medication for it but that was the last time I had those same feelings of dread and its been almost a full year now.

I love shrooms.

I think psilocin and psilocybin also have low risk of dependence and insanely high effective dose:lethal dose ratios, so this makes sense on a number of levels.

Although on the other hand, I knew a kid who took mushrooms on a camping trip and died when he wandered away from the campsite and fell into a ravine.

I can describe mushrooms like this...

When i had them, i was incredibly happy to be alive. like overwhelmingly so.

On the flip side, i was well aware that if you received some fucked up news while you were on them, you'd be i trouble.

My friend and I had an amazing time, laughing and geeking at how fucking looooooonggggg and terrible the 4th transformers movie was.

Reeks

There was also a study done where psilocybin was used to treat depression and anxiety in cancer patience with great success.

On an anecdotal note. Last year I was suffering from crippling anxiety and depression and I was out on a camping trip off the coast of Tofino in BC here and I took some mushrooms. The bioluminescent plankton was washing up on the beach. The whole shore was glowing blue. The waves crashing were glowing blue. It was a perfectly clear night with zero light polution. You could see the Milky Way so perfectly and bright. I just stood there alone and contemplated my life and what had happened and what was going on with me and stuff. The depression and anxiety vanished. It never really came back either.

Im not necessarily claiming that the mushrooms cured me as I was getting help for it elsewhere and I was taking medication for it but that was the last time I had those same feelings of dread and its been almost a full year now.

I love shrooms.

My friend's mother was in this study. She had an overwhelmingly positive response.

Nekofrog

Banned
If you've never sat down and had a direct and frank discussion with your own id (and I mean discussion, a real internal debate with a part of your brain that is way smarter than you and your conscious brain) then you haven't lived.

Ryde3

I'm not surprised at all. They're a very spiritual activity for me. I recommend everyone try them atleast 2,3 times.

My friend's mother was in this study. She had an overwhelmingly positive response.
Thats awesome. Happy she had a positive response to it. I've seen what the anxiety and depression can do to people suffering from cancer and its awesome to see results like this for people with the psilocybin.

depths20XX

Had some amazing times on shrooms when I was younger. No one I took them with ever really "freaked out". The worst I had was the last time I took too many and the trip lasted longer than I wanted. Not really for me anymore but it was nice experiencing them.

Took'em once when I was 17. Great times were had, never laughed so much in my life. Really changed my perception of life, the universe, all sorts.

Wouldn't do it again because upon coming round my immediate thought was 'If this was a bad trip it would be unbelievably horrific'.

I've always been interested but I've heard too many stories from immediate friends about getting sick from a bad batch, as well as how difficult it is to correctly identify the right mushrooms.

Supposedly they look very similar to a common type of mushroom that's poisonous and could kill you?

Shrooms are great in the right mindset.

But the last time I did them was the day after the Paris attacks with my ex girlfriend.

All I thought about was death. The sand looked like skulls and the giant driftwood on shore looked like giant dinosaur bones. Terrifying

subrock

I've been told by more than one person that shrooms can permanently change your personality and the way you think. Not so sure if it's true. But it sounds like a trip.

I think that's starting to be considered as one of the overwhelmingly positive side-effects of mushrooms. It's not like you have lasting hallucinations in your every day life, but the feeling of unity that you get on a sufficiently high dose can mean you are much more likely to not feel like an outsider, recognize the beauty in nature all around you, to be thoughtful about how you treat your body, to feel love and forgiveness towards your friends and family, to let go of long held anxiety, or to forgive yourself and feel vulnerable.

I like to use the term "hug-over" to describe the lasting effect of a positive experience. You really do look at the rest of your life through a new lens in a way that's hard to put your finger on. Having a positive experience is about understand the safety of what you're doing, to be in an emotionally positive setting, and by ensuring that you are comfortable with whatever comes. Some of the worst trips are caused simply by trying to make things stop (or thinking that they never will)

Arkage

Banned

While many people say shroom are awesome, they should still be treated with respect.

I can personally confirm I had a terrible shroom trip that gave me PTSD for years. It doesn't come back much anymore, but I have to be very careful if I smoke weed at all due to it now being a trigger. And it's not like anything bad happened during the trip, it's that my mind got so fucked from trying to rationalize my reality that I essentially kept thinking I was secretly dead or dying, Jacob's Ladder style.

opoth

Banned
While mushrooms may be safe, LSD-25 has always been a more accessible compound in my opinion. The complications are a longer trip for LSD-25 and lack of regulation means substances like NBOME can be passed off as LSD.

I'm too old for mushrooms now but I'm down with acid every couple of years, it's like an oil change for the soul.

Hindl

I've always been interested but I've heard too many stories from immediate friends about getting sick from a bad batch, as well as how difficult it is to correctly identify the right mushrooms.

Supposedly they look very similar to a common type of mushroom that's poisonous and could kill you?

It shouldn't be that difficult, if you go down this road and find someone you trust, they should be able to find some legit ones for you.

As for the sickness, yes, but that's because people aren't telling you mushrooms taste fucking awful. Like they will make you gag while you're eating them. People try all types of ways to mitigate the taste, like putting it in a peanut butter sandwich, dicing it up and throwing it in orange juice, etc. But magic mushrooms are some of the worst things I've ever tasted in my life. So if you have a sensitive stomach, you may get a little sick and even throw up. Even if your stomach is pretty solid it could still happen
What are the side effects and dangers of taking ecstacy? Compared to this ��... Just wondering
Repeated use will lower serotonin levels in the brain, which can lead to depression, anxiety, etc. And it can have other long-term effects on the brain. Basically, don't do a ton of ecstasy. My personal limit is no more than 2-3 times a year

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Psychedelics are truly wondrous tools when used in the right setting/mindset. Still think about my journeys from time to time. These experiences and lessons are a part of me and I am thankful for them.

Reeks

While mushrooms may be safe, LSD-25 has always been a more accessible compound in my opinion. The complications are a longer trip for LSD-25 and lack of regulation means substances like NBOME can be passed off as LSD.

I'm too old for mushrooms now but I'm down with acid every couple of years, it's like an oil change for the soul.

Too old? I'll never be too old for mushrooms! Although I did use to take much larger doses. Now I take doses just below a full on hallucinogenic dose so that my vision is enhanced a bit. Makes me happy and giggly, then reflective.

I also like brewing tea. Sometimes eating them can upset your stomach a bit and for some people thats enough to set them off thinking that they are getting sick and cause a bad trip. Brewing tea basically eliminates the shitty feelimg in your stomach. Or just realize that its normal for your stomach to turn a little and dont freak out about it.

Make sure you make friends with your local Hippie chapter!

I love LSD, but now that I'm 40, magic mushrooms last the perfect amount of time and have far less repercussions the following morning. They're a pain in the ass to eat though. I recommend a big greasy pizza. It'll mask the flavor and you don't get that crap stuck in your molars.

Top Bottom