• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Stanley Cup 2017 Finals [OT]- To Catch a Predator

RedRum

Banned
Congrats for fans of both teams. Whoever wins wins. All is right in the world. No Canadian teams shall win that cup. MUAHAHAHAHA

BTZ5SrI.gif

dankir

If PK wins it he'll bring the cup to Montreal right? WE NEED TO SEE IT HERE EVEN THOUGH WE DON'T DESERVE IT.....

Lothars

I hope the penguins lose that's is all even though I don't care about either team, I would rather have nashville win.

Sadly I'm a Red Wings fan. Hence no joy in the playoffs for me this year. Well none other then seeing no Canadian teams in the finals. lol
That explains the bad taste.

geardo

I'll reluctantly get behind the predators for this. Congrats to both teams. Jesus Christ, I'm sitting here as a defeated wings fan watching two teams that we had wars with play for the cup.

Socreges

Banned
Sadly I'm a Red Wings fan. Hence no joy in the playoffs for me this year. Well none other then seeing no Canadian teams in the finals. lol
Soapbox opportunity. Thank you kindly.

Just fascinates me to see this perspective. Canadian players dominate these teams. So I don't understand a Wings fan, who truly should hate the Pens (Cup rival) and Preds (former division rival), first and foremost for some reason prioritizing Canadian teams because of some misguided, patriotic animus.

It's not like Canadian fans get up for other Canadian teams. We don't care for our national drought, but for our particular team's. I'd still rather see the Preds win than the Oilers or Flames. Fuck them for eternity.

Quick

Banned

Just fascinates me to see this perspective. Canadian players dominate these teams. So I don't understand a Wings fan, who truly should hate the Pens (Cup rival) and Preds (former division rival), first and foremost for some reason prioritizing Canadian teams because of some misguided, patriotic animus.

It's not like Canadian fans get up for other Canadian teams. We don't care for our national drought, but for our particular team's. I'd still rather see the Preds win than the Oilers or Flames. Fuck them for eternity.

brb gonna print this and hang it up in a frame.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

Not true generally

Agreed with qwerty, not necessarily true.

I'd love for the Jets or Sens to win a cup for Canada, on top of the Canucks.

The other Canadian teams I don't "not cheer for" because I don't care, but because there's some active dislike going on.

edit: I'm not hardcore enough for Soc :( :) :( :)

Socreges

Banned
Not true generally
Do you have data? I don't. But I can tell you the only people I've spoken to cheering for other Canadian teams as a preference are ones who aren't invested in their own team.

So maybe I should be more specific. Hardcore fans don't prioritize. Regional rivalries overcome patriotism every time. Take this community as an example.

Socreges

Banned
Agreed with qwerty, not necessarily true.

I'd love for the Jets or Sens to win a cup for Canada, on top of the Canucks.

The other Canadian teams I don't "not cheer for" because I don't care, but because there's some active dislike going on.
Partly because they're Canadian.

No doubt, like me, you have some affection for inoffensive Canadian teams like the Sens and Jets. But would you cheer for rivals like the Oilers and Flames over 'American Team X' because you want 'Canada' to win the Cup? No. Hell, I bet even the Habs and Leafs are too irritating for you to cheer for.

So I was too general. But my point remains.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Partly because they're Canadian.

No doubt, like me, you have some affection for inoffensive Canadian teams like the Sens and Jets. But would you cheer for rivals like the Oilers and Flames over 'American Team X' because you want 'Canada' to win the Cup? No. Hell, I bet even the Habs and Leafs are too irritating for you to cheer for.

So I was too general. But my point remains.

Of course not, fuck those teams - but if I had to choose between an inoffensive Canadian team and an inoffensive US team, I'd pick the inoffensive Canadian team for "patriotic Canada should get a cup" logic. That's mainly my point here. It's harder for Canadian teams to STAY inoffensive BECAUSE they're Canadian, yes, hence there's really just the Jets&Sens left. :p Maybe the Habs depending on their opponent. But fuck no for the Flames/Oilers/Leafs.

Socreges

Banned
Of course not, fuck those teams - but if I had to choose between an inoffensive Canadian team and an inoffensive US team, I'd pick the inoffensive Canadian team for "patriotic Canada should get a cup" logic. That's mainly my point here. It's harder for Canadian teams to STAY inoffensive BECAUSE they're Canadian, yes, hence there's really just the Jets&Sens left. :p Maybe the Habs depending on their opponent. But fuck no for the Flames/Oilers/Leafs.
So...we agree. I should have just put 'any' in that sentence. Fact is patriotism for Canadians comes well behind other priorities, unless you're just not invested in the sport.

23qwerty

Sort of right re: regional rivalry, my dad cheered for Edmonton and Ottawa for example, but not Calgary, because Calgary is trash garbage Calgarian garbage.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Shea Weber is gone

Who are the other Preds with dirty plays?

Crosby alone is responsible for more dirty plays than the entire Preds team
Crosby also gets beat to shit more than any player. Everyone wants to beat up the poster boy. Most of the time they get away with it too

PillarEN

The Stanley Cup final of anime is upon us. God help us Nagisa. Praises to all Haruhis live and fictional.

tumblr_ny50e9grHh1upe1ufo1_500.gif

For the love of god please let the Perds win. Though my bracket...

Sheroking

Yeah, I never gave much of a crap about the Canadian team thing. I hate Calgary and Vancouver, was happy to see Ottawa eliminated because of the style Guy Boucher has them playing, and I think "fuck Toronto" goes without saying.

I might cheer for like Winnipeg or Montreal if it came down to it, but I'd hardly be disappointed if they lost.

Lach

Lol. Swiss newspapers already celebrate a swiss player being Stanley cup winner again, as both Nashville (Weber, Josi) and Pittsburg (Streit) have swiss players....

Firenze1

Banned
Lol. Swiss newspapers already celebrate a swiss player being Stanley cup winner again, as both Nashville (Weber, Josi) and Pittsburg (Streit) have swiss players....

swedish media does the same. Everyone is sad that Ottawa didnt make the finals today in the papers. They dont care about lowkey players such as hornqvist and hagelin.

They are already on the nashville bandwagon.

Alucard

Banned
Socreges, I think we can both agree it was critical for the Pens to activate Justin Schultz for game seven. One goal and one assist. #blessed

If this doesn't move you right down to the soles of your feet I don't know what you're doing in here. I'd sooner see the fucking Panthers win a cup than any other Canadian team. Fuck: Ottawa, Montreal, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary and especially double fuck the Peg.

hwalker84

Lets go PENS!!!!

Though Nashville is like my second home because I went to TSU. I would've rooted for them if the Pens were out. Sorry PK.

swedish media does the same. Everyone is sad that Ottawa didnt make the finals today in the papers. They dont care about lowkey players such as hornqvist and hagelin.

They are already on the nashville bandwagon.
Yeah, so does the Finnish media since we have Rinne (+Saros and Salomäki) in Nashville and Määttä in Pittsburgh.

I hope Rinne takes the cup.

Catdaddy

Go Preds!!

If this goes to a Game 6 in Nashville they will play on the last night the CMA Festival (Country Music) in downtown Nashville it will be insane if they win like they did against Anaheim ...

damn it was satisfying to see Crosby & co seal it in overtime, almost exactly how i wanted. took a bit long though, and i never got to see Karlsson's douchy face :/ i needed to see tears dropping from his awful played out hipster mustache... oh well. seeing Andersen freeze in shock was amazing enough i guess.

that's one thrashy team out, only one more to go! kinda hope it goes to game 7 OT as well for maximum pain for the Preds.

Cake Boss

Banned
damn it was satisfying to see Crosby & co seal it in overtime, almost exactly how i wanted. took a bit long though, and i never got to see Karlsson's douchy face :/ i needed to see tears dropping from his awful played out hipster mustache... oh well. seeing Andersen freeze in shock was amazing enough i guess.

that's one thrashy team out, only one more to go! kinda hope it goes to game 7 OT as well for maximum pain for the Preds.

DAm638IXkAAg1TJ.jpg

Bluenoser

I don't like Ottawa based on a few different factors. While I would have probably still pushed for them to win if they were up against any other US team, I have to go for Pittsburgh because Crosby is from my neighborhood. Gotta root for the local guy... it certainly helps that he's also the best player in the league.

Gumbie

Been a fan of the Preds since their inception here in Nashville. Been to a lot of playoff games...some awesome...some heart breaking. Seems unreal they're in the finals. I always said if they made it to the finals I would go to at least one game...and then I saw the ticket prices.

Top Bottom