• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump 'complained to Belgian PM of difficulty setting up golf resorts in EU'

AndyD

aka andydumi
Every single word he says is so painfully obvious he is holding back from saying something a hundred times worse.

Madness

All other world leaders should know Trump doesn't know anything about what he's talking about. Just butter him up and try to trick him into whatever you want him to do.

Pretty sure they do. No one respects Donald Trump, they fear the world superpower who is currently lead by a senile old man. That is why they will stand around, take shoves, smile while being told they are evil or not paying their fair share. This is just embarassing on all fronts. Will easily go down as one of the most horrendous administrations in modern US history.

Trump voters are also probably already tired of all his winning so far. 3.5 years left for their wall to get built lol.

azyless

The paper reports: “Donald Trump had no idea of the economic weight of Belgium and even less of what the country represents for trade with the United States. Then he was introduced to the thing in a very visual way. But the president only gave vague attention to it.”
I can't believe Donald Trump would know shit about Belgium, he seems so cultured.
dfdhh.gif

How do Americans deal with the almost daily embarrassments these 100+ days into office?
It's so fucking depressing and infuriating at times. Equal doses humor and self-medication are occasionally necessary to getting through the week in a decent mood. Tuning out political discussions and daily news updates for short periods helps to cope with the excrutiating progress of the slow motion vehicle pileup and continued hijacking of our country by hateful and incompetent shitstains. When we finally untangle ourselves from this newest mess, the recorded non-partisan history will forever remind us that this was a complete clusterfuck of malice, greed, and stupidity.

rjinaz

How do Americans deal with the almost daily embarrassments these 100+ days into office?

Most Americans don't care. They don't care about politics and they don't care if America is embarrassing. Then you have another part of America that actually like these things Trump keeps doing because "hell yeah America!", "I'm selfish and wealthy", or "I'll be a millionaire too some day".

As for us that do care, all we can do is just enjoy any shit that is thrown his way and try to make it to the elections next year.

Circinus

I don't think it's an unreasonable complaint to be honest if the overall point he's making is that it can take too long for companies to be able to invest in projects in EU countries, especially if he pointed out that it's only based on his experience in Ireland.

Hes giving the example that it takes 2.5 years for a USA company to invest 10-15million on a golf course in the EU, why is that trying to manipulate?
Hes pointing out the EU is resticting USA companies

I don't think the fact that it's a USA company has anything to do with it, but I'm not really knowledgeable about investing in golf courses and real estate.

“Donald Trump had no idea of the economic weight of Belgium and even less of what the country represents for trade with the United States. Then he was introduced to the thing in a very visual way. But the president only gave vague attention to it.”

IMG_8385-800x533.jpg

The paper reports: “Donald Trump had no idea of the economic weight of Belgium and even less of what the country represents for trade with the United States. Then he was introduced to the thing in a very visual way. But the president only gave vague attention to it.”

I'm just imagining him paying more attention to the chocolates, and interrupting to say "These are the best, the best!" amongst baffled Belgians, like some SNL skit.

pswii60

Only half of Americans are embarrassed, the other half voted for him. And make no mistake, he said just as much, if not more, stupid shit before he was elected. It's not like people didn't know exactly what they were voting for.

Not an American, but I'm basically going full John Malkovich in Burn After Reading with how utterly moronic each day in US politics is turning out:

tumblr_m874fe6Sra1qmlth7o1_500.gif

tumblr_m2gc9qurwU1rtgfeuo1_500.gif

1a76644624d755a08dc0c37252c8af26.gif

The Coen Brothers had it right, particularly the part concerning the Russians: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=186EBarmNzU

Whenever Hollywood gets around to making a movie about the Trump administration, it better be the Coen Brothers doing it. Only they could truly capture the sheer tragic idiocy of it all.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I'm not even American, but I'm embarrassed for those of you who have to live under him.

I think this is somewhat relevant:

WaPo article on Trump's response to Brexit last June.

Donald Trump celebrated Britain’s stunning vote to leave the European Union on Friday during a visit to Scotland, saying that the people of the United Kingdom have “taken their country back," musing that it could benefit his Turnberry resort and arguing that running a nation is a lot like running a golf course.

“I think it’s a great thing that happened," Trump told reporters shortly after his helicopter landed at Trump Turnberry. “People are angry, all over the world. People, they’re angry.”

“When the pound goes down, more people are coming to Turnberry, frankly,” Trump added during an afternoon news conference. “For traveling and for other things, I think it very well could turn out to be a positive.”

He also suggested that running a golf course was comparable to running a nation: “You’ll be amazed how similar it is. It’s a place that has to be fixed.”

Last year, this was a joke, this year...

LakeEarth

Glad to see he has America as priority #1.

Seriously though, the more time he spends NOT making policy decisions, the better.

RinsFury

The fact that it was only a 3 million difference still makes me believe that we're surrounded by morons.

Worse than morons. These pieces of shit knowingly voted for a fascist white supremacist, they knew exactly what they were doing. Fuck every single one of those scumbags.

SSPssp

Isn't Ireland one of the easiest places to do business in the EU? Lots of American companies are there due to the low taxes.

norm9

Lol, I can picture this fool shoveling chocolate in his face while he's saying yeah yeah yeah to an explanation of Belgium's economy.

EGM1966

Ditching the small talk I see and getting right down to the important stuff: why can't rich people do whatever they want to without fuss?

Class act.

HardRojo

Personal interests and business opportunities before other issues. Sounds like Trump.
Also, golf is such a fucking stupid sport. Takes up a lot of terrain and is boring af to watch.

Top Bottom