• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Eater 2: Rage Burst |OT| "We stand defiant"

Vuze

Is this game more like monster hunter with methodical gameplay, learning monster move sets and telegraphs etc or more like jrpg hack n slash? I prefer more of the former. Watched a couple of videos and reviews of the japanese version and it doesn't look too convincing.
I only have played the first one back when it originally released on PSP, but I'd say more of the latter.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
It shouldn't be. But they will sell Resurrection separately for $20. Unsure if they will sell Rage Burst by itself though.

Edit: I may be wrong about that though. The press release blurb for your own interpretation:

"GOD EATER RESURRECTION is rated “T” for TEEN by the ESRB and is priced at a MSRP of $19.99. It is available now for purchase exclusively on the PlayStation Store for the PlayStation 4 system and PlayStation Vita handheld system. The game will also be available on PC via STEAM on August 30, 2016."

I think the steam version is only the bundle.

UCBooties

Is this game more like monster hunter with methodical gameplay, learning monster move sets and telegraphs etc or more like jrpg hack n slash? I prefer more of the former. Watched a couple of videos and reviews of the japanese version and it doesn't look too convincing.

It's definitley not as methodical as Monster Hunter but you still have to pay attention to monster move sets in order to survive. You also need to keep aware of what parts of the monster are weak to the weapon you have equiped. It's designed to be a faster pace than Monster Hunter and the crafting/environmental systems are not as involved.

Uthred

It's definitley not as methodical as Monster Hunter but you still have to pay attention to monster move sets in order to survive. You also need to keep aware of what parts of the monster are weak to the weapon you have equiped. It's designed to be a faster pace than Monster Hunter and the crafting/environmental systems are not as involved.

I'd say the crafting systems, bullets are at least as involved as MH crafting.

bobohoro

Well, I'm in. Probably won't get the game until friday and won't have time to play until next week, but should be playing regularly afterwards.
Got pretty far in Gods Eater Burst, think I was left it on the final chapter, so I won't be replaying Resurrection.

Blitzhex

I only have played the first one back when it originally released on PSP, but I'd say more of the latter.

Some playthrough videos of the english version are popping up on youtube now. Doesn't look too bad actually. All things considered, if the monster roster is as big as any of the 3ds monster hunters though then this would be worth a buy for me. It's also 38 usd converted on steam where I live, so that's good.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Some playthrough videos of the english version are popping up on youtube now. Doesn't look too bad actually. All things considered, if the monster roster is as big as any of the 3ds monster hunters though then this would be worth a buy for me. It's also 38 usd converted on steam where I live, so that's good.

Be realistic as MH pulls from a long history spanning a decade over multiple titles. This game not so much.

It sits between 2 releases with tiny additions in between from the remakes / upgrades to the 2 games.

So the roster will be nowhere as large.

While there are more than this heres an example of what exists in the game though these are from GE2 and not GE2RB. They still will be in the game though so its not as if stuff was removed. There will be other monsters from the first game as well so overall its a decent roster to keep one busy enough.

ax5TALx.png

xPdjrxV.png

Also you can check here though if you dont want to be spoiled to what else exists in the game suggest you avoid it.

http://godeater.wikia.com/wiki/Aragami

Similar to MH lots of those monsters are "recolors" also of a base type. Also they are not listed by series I think and its been way too long for me to remember which were exactly in GE2RB.

Looking at the JP wiki specifically for GE2: RB and counting all the types including recolors heres the general breakdown

• Small Type - 17
  • Medium Type - 25
  • Large Type - 41 (43 if you include 2 DLC types)

No idea if there were any others added as the listed above is just from what they had available.

ChrisDM

What a fantastic OT names! Thanks for the shoutout, by the way, my friend. =]

Cannot wait to finally get through GE:R and get to GE2:RB, which everyone who has had experience with it raves about.

Also general note for this OT: if you have a question, make sure to hit up that first post before posting!

names2hard4you put a TON of work into that post and there were a lot of people in the GE:R OT that would just come in and ask the same question multiple times on the same page that was answered in the OP. Many of us would of course still take the time to answer each and every person hahah. :D

TheGrue

I keep telling myself I don't need this as I play MHG every day on the 3DS. Do I need this? Should I get PS4 or PC? So many questions....

Parakeetman

I keep telling myself I don't need this as I play MHG every day on the 3DS. Do I need this? Should I get PS4 or PC? So many questions....

As long as you dont go expecting Monster Hunter out of this game you should be fine for the most part as it stands on its own legs. That and if you want a hunting game that is more narrative driven for single player.

PS4 is fine for PC Id say wait till you see how others react to the port.

FPS means shit if the game wont run properly or has other issues.

TheGrue

As long as you dont go expecting Monster Hunter out of this game you should be fine for the most part as it stands on its own legs. That and if you want a hunting game that is more narrative driven for single player.

PS4 is fine for PC Id say wait till you see how others react to the port.

FPS means shit if the game wont run properly or has other issues.

Yeah, I realize it's a different game. You're right on FPS not meaning much. My big concern is not having the player base to play online with on PC vs. PS4 where I am sure there will be lots of people to play with. My decision would be easier if it were Cross Buy for Vita. Still, Cross Save to Vita means I can hunt on the go. Leaning towards PS4 (plus, I've not even played anything on PS4 in such a long time...it's probably lonely).

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Yeah, I realize it's a different game. You're right on FPS not meaning much. My big concern is not having the player base to play online with on PC vs. PS4 where I am sure there will be lots of people to play with. My decision would be easier if it were Cross Buy for Vita. Still, Cross Save to Vita means I can hunt on the go. Leaning towards PS4 (plus, I've not even played anything on PS4 in such a long time...it's probably lonely).

Seems like the Steam version is not doing bad at all on the preorders. Also I expect good performance since QLOC is involved.

Parakeetman

Game the general controls are good for both the PS4 and Vita. Aiming is a bit less of a hassle with a controller of course when using the aim mode with the gun form.

But in terms of just playing the game works great on both and being able to do missions on the go to build up resources and cash is great if you are one who commutes a lot allowing for that then switching over once home.

The advantage to Steam is it comes with its own community I suppose where as the PS4 you would have to look for linking up with people in places like these. Though in general since GAF does a lot of online gaming am sure you should not have too much of an issue with finding people from here to play with who would frequent this thread.

Blitzhex

Be realistic as MH pulls from a long history spanning a decade over multiple titles. This game not so much.

It sits between 2 releases with tiny additions in between from the remakes / upgrades to the 2 games.

So the roster will be nowhere as large.

While there are more than this heres an example of what exists in the game though these are from GE2 and not GE2RB. They still will be in the game though so its not as if stuff was removed. There will be other monsters from the first game as well so overall its a decent roster to keep one busy enough.

Also you can check here though if you dont want to be spoiled to what else exists in the game suggest you avoid it.

http://godeater.wikia.com/wiki/Aragami

Similar to MH lots of those monsters are "recolors" also of a base type. Also they are not listed by series I think and its been way too long for me to remember which were exactly in GE2RB.

Looking at the JP wiki specifically for GE2: RB and counting all the types including recolors heres the general breakdown

• Small Type - 17
  • Medium Type - 25
  • Large Type - 41 (43 if you include 2 DLC types)

No idea if there were any others added as the listed above is just from what they had available.

Seems like all of the large monsters on that list belong to 4-5 base species. Not too bad, like you said it is a new series. MHG has kinda spoiled me actually.
Is GE:R worth a play before GE2 though?

Parakeetman

Seems like all of the large monsters on that list belong to 4-5 base species. Not too bad, like you said it is a new series. MHG has kinda spoiled me actually.
Is GE:R worth a play before GE2 though?

If you are one who cares about the story and continuity with the characters like whos who and whatnots yeah you might want to check it out. While the MCs are different for both games the characters you meet have a bit more meaning as you will recognize some from the first game and have a general idea of what happened in the world.

But overall if you care more about gameplay then there is no real problem with going in without having played the first game.

Plus less chance of burning yourself out by playing the first game then trying to go straight into this one after.

Though thanks to the narrative and how the characters are generally likeable if you play the first one and try to burn through it then jump straight to 2 that might be doable. Its up to you though.

Pejo

Game shows up as #1 top seller here on Steam currently. (global top seller #2) Glad it's selling well so far on PC.

This is great news. I hope we have a pretty active playerbase on PC, I'd love for it to become a viable platform for hunting games.

Got my pre-ordered copy pre-loaded last night, can't wait to give it a shot when I get home.

Shin-chan

I wonder if my Japanese copy will have English text now that the localised version is available? Only one way to find out I guess.

DPtheGod

Super excited!

I am going to the GameStop launch tonight to pick mine up.

But... I've never played the first one before. I bought it on PSP shortly before my battery died and I could never find a new one cheap enough while I still wanted to play my PSP.

How blind to the story will I be going into 2 without the first one in my noggin?

Also, are your characters outfits COMPLETELY customizable? As in, the chest armor or whatever changes with each new piece of equipment, the legs, etc.

Parakeetman

Super excited!

I am going to the GameStop launch tonight to pick mine up.

But... I've never played the first one before. I bought it on PSP shortly before my battery died and I could never find a new one cheap enough while I still wanted to play my PSP.

How blind to the story will I be going into 2 without the first one in my noggin?

Also, are your characters outfits COMPLETELY customizable? As in, the chest armor or whatever changes with each new piece of equipment, the legs, etc.

There is no armor in this game. Its just for visual appearance. Also read my previous post answering the exact same question about if one should play the first game or not.

From the JP version but a simple example of the Tops / Bottoms the game has to offer. I do believe head gear was determined by the hairstyle + accessory or something. Accessories for the head / face is also an option you pick from the start.

Male
Male Character Creation
Male Outfit Tops
Male Outfit Bottoms

Female
Female Character Creation
Female Outfit Tops
Female Outfit Bottoms

SkyOdin

You definitly need to learn and study the monster's tells and weakpoints in order to survive against the tougher opponents in God Eater. The gameplay is faster paced and more accessible than Monster Hunter, but God Eater is still a game of the same genre. If an attack catches you by surprise, you can die very quickly. Knowing how to block or dodge attacks is crucial.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Anybody waiting for GER download, it's available to download in the EU/UK

Hellraider

Honestly, the more you expect the former, the more you should stay away from pretty much any other hunting action game, especially God Eater. Expect a hack and slash with the MonHun mission/loot structure and a small dosage of mediocre anime story and you can enjoy the game. I liked it and have spent more than 60h on the first one, but a comparison with Monster Hunter will make the game terrible.

If it wasn't clear that was just for the first game.

I guess I missed out on the preorder costumes since I don't see them on the store page? A small part of me cares, but I'm gonna play this regardless.

Briarios

Just pre-ordered for the PS4 ... seems like a pretty good deal for 2 games with the 20% off. Just hoping I didn't make a mistake :p

ArXiom

Neo Member
I've got this ordered for Vita. It will be my first time playing this series.

Given that GE2:RB was released before GE:R, are there major improvements in GE:R compared to GE2:RB, or are they not that significant and I can easily enjoy GE2's gameplay after playing GE:R? Or should I go GE2:RB -> GE:R?

only checked out GER so far.. but this seems like a good port.

Light on the graphics options, but supports arbitrary resolution. Seems to be capped to 60 fps

Here's a screenshot at 5120x2880

Also seems like you can rebind almost all of the keyboard controls.. except for arrow keys for menu navigation and enter to confirm selections. Alternately, you can use the mouse in menus as well.

cheesekao

you mean something like a discord channel for God Eater? (well both and all platforms ) I think we should try making one, I know the granblue fantasy game's discord group is usually well behaved.
Assuming the gaf community is active, that would be nice. We probably should wait a few days and see if the thread is active enough for it to be worth having a discord channel.

edit: I specifically mentioned Playstation because there's no PC crossplay but if you want to combine both parties then it's up to you.

Can't wait. Me and 2 buddies went ham on Resurrection and probably were some of the first English platinum-ers. Got my download primed and counting down to midnight

Glad to hear that apparently guns got toned the hell down. Some of those bullet builds in Res were just ridiculous. I'm probably gonna go with Scythe again since I enjoyed it so much in Res (Even though it was technically low tier)

Is there a trustworthy site that's selling this for cheaper? I haven't finished Resurrection yet since the story is too long, but I'm down to buy 2 since I don't care about the narrative.

cheesekao

Does the PS4 version run at 60FPS also?
No but I find the dev's reasoning for limiting the PS4's framerate is a little suspect because there are cross-play games that run worse on Vita than on PS3/PS4. That's not to mention that not all PC peeps will be playing at the same framerate.

Lork

Can anyone explain the "data importation" feature? Can I carry something over from Resurrection to 2? The other way around? What is this feature actually for?

Top Bottom