• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HATSUNE MIKU Project DIVA X |OT| Miku X Scarlett Johansson is happening!!!

ar4757

Mine (Vita) is getting delivered today. I ordered from Best Buy, sounds like some of you got it real early from them lol

Playing the demo in the meantime and Miku just said something along the lines of "No treats no sing" while in her new catsuit haha

muteki

In general I enjoyed the changes to the game's progression, other than the Voltage and performance grading system in the story mode being way too easy, in comparison to the Excellent/Great/Standard etc. found in the old games and here in Free Play.

The module unlock system I couldn't stand however, and the game incentivizes you to spend many many hours early on wearing Puffy Pastels or Yellow with random junk attached to you in order to unlock the new modules, which I can't stand. The amount of time to get to the point where you can play any song with the primary intended module is extremely long and more grindy compared to past diva games with diva points.

So what's the deal with the two new songs? I thought those were supposed to be included with the ps4 version, but it seems you have to purchase them separately.

Redhood

So what's the deal with the two new songs? I thought those were supposed to be included with the ps4 version, but it seems you have to purchase them separately.

They were only announced to be free for PS4 in Japan. Never mentioned for anywhere else. The price for sharing the world is wrong. Its 1$ less. Go get it now!

They were only announced to be free for PS4 in Japan. Never mentioned for anywhere else. The price for sharing the world is wrong. Its 1$ less. Go get it now!

I'm actually looking this up Japan-side and I'm not so sure they're free over there either... This is the one time I've not imported a Japanese release due to how close the US release was to it so I can't confirm.

I've just checked the JP store, it looks like the disc itself doesn't include the songs BUT they're listed as free on the store.

oZEpdtz.jpg

So yeah, either it's another pricing error for the western release or it's actually correct and they need to be bought separately no matter the version.

As per the official site the songs are crossbuy and are to be purchased.

http://miku.sega.com/divax/dlc.html

Well there it is then, it doesn't bother me that much since I'm getting the Vita version either way so they wouldn't have been free :p

This thread is the only place where I have seen anyone say that the songs would be free on PS4. The official site definitely does not say anything like that.

It's probably because they're free in Japan, so that confused people (and myself as well)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Between this and Future Tone, I'm not sure I'll ever finish playing all the songs.

Controller should be here within 2 weeks, so I guess I'll play on my DS4 until then. :'(

Draikin 2

Festivals are far and away the best thing ever added to the series, and I want to see the idea grow in the next game. The medleys give you that taste of playing "Project Diva Concert Edition", and the Festivals let you expand on that with your own selections.

That's the direction I've thought the series should go in for a while now, and getting a taste of it is both awesome yet levels me wanting more from the idea.
I wish they would have done more with this though. I think it says a lot when "Hand in Hand" for Project DIVA Arcade Future Tone does the whole concert thing better than the Project DIVA X version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B_f3gwCM-8#t=0m50

I hope that they really expand the concept further in future games (assuming there will be, I'm a tad worried about the future of the franchise). I like how they have the crowd cheer you on during Festivals but it's still very limited. If they could make the crowd more detailed and use camera angles like in the video above from Future Tone, it would make a big difference. I definitely see the potential but at this point I don't feel like the medleys and festivals make up for the absence of music videos.

mollipen

I hope that they really expand the concept further in future games (assuming there will be, I'm a tad worried about the future of the franchise). I like how they have the crowd cheers you on during Festivals but it's still very limited. If they could make the crowd more detailed and use camera angles like in the video above from Future Tone, it would make a big difference. I definitely see the potential but at this point I don't feel like the medleys and festivals make up for the absence of music videos.

No, 100% agreement. It's a wonderful first step, but still far from the perfect form that I'd like to see the option in.

But, to be fair, as someone who has gone to two Vocaloid concerts, I might be biased toward caring more about recreating that whole atmosphere in-game.

Roubjon

Guys, I'm conflicted. I don't know whether to get this now and Future Tone later, or Future Tone now and PDX later.

On one hand, I can get the PS4 version for $40 from Best Buy after GCU, plus another $10 off fron rewards certs, making it $30, but the lower number of songs compared to other Diva games is bumming me out. I haven't listened to the tracklist, so I don't have an opinion one way or the other on it, but I've only known a few songs in the others games and still picked them up and ended up liking a majority of them.

On the other, I already own all the other Diva games released stateside, as well as Diva 2nd, so I can play a good chunk of the songs available in Future Tone at the moment, I just have to break out different systems/discs. But there are at least more than a few songs that I enjoy that aren't in games I already own that are in Future Tone.

This is so easy. Get Future Tone becasuse has 220 songs, looks fantastic, and plays great. I'm not even considering buying this game because I bought Future Tone a month ago.

Okay, so it does seem Sharing The World and Hand In Hand are DLC everywhere, but it's free for the Japanese PS4 release only (not sure if limited time or permanent). The songs have to be purchased for every other release.

I picked up my controller this morning and the games were delivered just before I went for lunch. I'm still kind of on a gaming hiatus though so I doubt I'll be playing anytime soon.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Guys, I'm conflicted. I don't know whether to get this now and Future Tone later, or Future Tone now and PDX later.

On one hand, I can get the PS4 version for $40 from Best Buy after GCU, plus another $10 off fron rewards certs, making it $30, but the lower number of songs compared to other Diva games is bumming me out. I haven't listened to the tracklist, so I don't have an opinion one way or the other on it, but I've only known a few songs in the others games and still picked them up and ended up liking a majority of them.

On the other, I already own all the other Diva games released stateside, as well as Diva 2nd, so I can play a good chunk of the songs available in Future Tone at the moment, I just have to break out different systems/discs. But there are at least more than a few songs that I enjoy that aren't in games I already own that are in Future Tone.

I'm getting both because you need to have both. Also, the unlocks will be fun to tinker with.

But really, if you were going to only pick one, Future Tone is the better purchase for quantity of songs alone. The mechanics being different with slide notes and double/triple/quads is also a neat change from what I'm used to.

Disappointing to see that pretty much every review glossed over some fairly critical changes Sega made to the game in order to encourage "engagement" or drive a percentage of players to the module unlock DLC.

The rhythm game genre is one of the purest genres of game out there - it's engaging because you want to better your score or perfect a song, or master your timing the next time round. Previously, modules were unlocked as you progressed through songs on each difficulty.

Diva X, as you know, changes module unlocks so they are mostly random rewards after song segments, which encourages grinding for the sake of grinding, and players to replay songs in the hope of unlocking more content, rather than for purer reasons related directly to the core gameplay.

Of course, Sega happens to be selling unlock DLC so players can just unlock all the cosmetics (which are a big part of the experience given the real time cinematics and all the different combinations for each stage) and this would also make the game "pure" again in terms of focus and objectives.

It's a shame then, that this hasn't really been mentioned as a piece of criticism in any of the reviews. I actually saw one review encourage this sort of mechanic, asking players not to buy the DLC, because you'll be more motivated to play the game with the random reward Skinner Box mechanic in place. But the sad thing is, telling someone to play a game due to reasons that aren't intrinsic to the core game itself is self defeating, especially when you want to tell them how great that game is.

It's a shame. Sega has taken one of the purest genres of games and has obsticated it for cynical reasons, but no one's really criticising them for it, or even noticing it.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
As someone who is addicted to these loot style drops, I found the new module drop system to be refreshing. I was never really compelled to buy costumes from the store in previous games, so handing them out as a random lottery is... Dare I say exciting.

Also really enjoying the songlist in this game, much more entertaining than diva f 2nd.

SimonM7

But, to be fair, as someone who has gone to two Vocaloid concerts, I might be biased toward caring more about recreating that whole atmosphere in-game.

As someone who's only ever experienced the concerts through blu-ray imports, I'm still 100% with you. :)

And honestly, the performance part of this gets it pretty right for my money. Choreography comes across really well, and the camera work accentuates it well also.

i don't think adding incentive to play beyond improving scores and getting better is a downside. some people could find added longevity or direction in having more concrete goals like that. issues arise for me when unlockable content inhibits your ability to fully enjoy the game from the start, like having a lengthy unlock process for harder difficulties. unlockable aesthetic content or even songs (assuming unlocking them doesn't take too long and you're given a good number from the start) don't bother me.

Maybe they liked it?

Sure, that could be a possibility. But few mentioned that either.

These systems are designed to make you feel psychologically good, but it doesn't make them good game design.

In fact, they are some of the cheapest ways to encourage players to interact with a game, and a good piece of criticism would probably at least try and analyse this major shift in how the series has been structured.

For what it's worth, the new unlock system garnered a fair bit of criticism in the Import OT. I am certainly not a fan and the existence of unlock DLC only makes matters worse.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
i don't think adding incentive to play beyond improving scores and getting better is a downside. some people could find added longevity or direction in having more concrete goals like that. issues arise for me when unlockable content inhibits your ability to fully enjoy the game from the start, like having a lengthy unlock process for harder difficulties. unlockable aesthetic content or even songs (assuming unlocking them doesn't take too long and you're given a good number from the start) don't bother me.

srt should i buy this game I'm on the fence

OMG Aero

I wouldn't mind the drop system so much if you couldn't get duplicate modules like you apparently can. As it is that just means the only modules I am ever going to use on songs are the ones that increase your chance of getting a new module instead of picking ones I want to see or ones that go well with the song.

Also the diva room stuff was bad in the previous games and the drop system makes it even worse which I didn't think was possible.

The drop system might seem kinda neat at first, but when you're stuck at 87% completion 60 hours in and all you're ever getting is duplicates... not so much.

I still haven't even cleared all of the songs in Future Tone!

I'm too busy with work and school.

I'll still buy this, though. I'll buy every single Miku game until they stop making them.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.

at least in this version, after clearing normal on all songs you can jump straight to extreme. Though I gotta wait for my controller before I start tackling that.

Also, all this talk about future tone is getting me really interested, but I think i'll wait til the end of the year for hope sega will localize it (want to support miku stateside).

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh damn, there's "Rare" modules to get as well? Least I got my first one while doing the 4th song on the first cloud, 8-sec rate up.

Will the game keep track of combinations that'll increase your % rate? I found that badge + backpack increases it by 8%.

Also, am I gonna have to play on every single difficulty to unlock everything or get all the trophies?

Top Bottom