• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/24 - 3/30

jrricky

Banned
I expect the sales of the Wii Monster Hunter to be a monster, excuse the pun. Capcom is really backing the series extremely now, and plan to expand its accessibilty. They seem to be planning a huge marketing push for all regions. I am being a little overly optimisic (dont mind the oxy) and expect it to match or do even more than the PSP's counterparts, especially in the west.

test_account

XP-39C²
Innotech said:
PSP is enjoying what NFL fans know of as "garbage time"
but Sony is probably content with the PSP selling whatever it can. Capcom is the one making the dough though. Which is proper really as they are one of the best third parties.

I think i know what you're saying, but in garbage time the preformance of the play usually gets worse (hence the name "garbage time") due to that i.e less experienced players get to play instead since its so to say not possible to change the outcome of the game. This way the less experienced players get more gaming practice + there is no need to use their most skilled players then (this way there is a less chance of injuries etc.). I also guess that the motivation of the play is lower compared to if they had a chance to win due to that they know its so to say impossible to change the outcome of the game.

In the DS VS PSP battle, the DS has already won, no doubt about that, so in this way i guess you can say its the same as garbage time. However, the PSP's preformance has just gotten better since the launch of PSP Slim, were in garbage time the preformance usually gets worse. So in this way i wouldnt compare it to garbage time. I guess we can say partially garbage time :)

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
mc-LTD-70.jpg

mc-wii-lead-70.jpg

ccbfan

Innotech said:
PSP is enjoying what NFL fans know of as "garbage time"
but Sony is probably content with the PSP selling whatever it can. Capcom is the one making the dough though. Which is proper really as they are one of the best third parties.

That's probably one of the dumbest things I've heard in a while.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
test_account said:
I think i know what you're saying, but in garbage time the preformance of the play usually gets worse (hence the name "garbage time") due to that i.e less experienced players get to play instead since its so to say not possible to change the outcome of the game. This way the less experienced players get more gaming practice + there is no need to use their most skilled players then (this way there is a less chance of injuries etc.). I also guess that the motivation of the play is lower compared to if they had a chance to win due to that they know its so to say impossible to change the outcome of the game.

In the DS VS PSP battle, the DS has already won, no doubt about that, so in this way i guess you can say its the same as garbage time. However, the PSP's preformance has just gotten better since the launch of PSP Slim, were in garbage time the preformance usually gets worse. So in this way i wouldnt compare it to garbage time. I guess we can say partially garbage time :)

Actually what he's suggesting (wrongly, in my opinion) is that it's Nintendo has given up because they're so far ahead. Garbage time often sees the loser exploding back at the very end (see college athletics where sportsmanship is supposedly a factor) but this has more to do with pulling the best players out on the winning team while the losing team still has their best players in and they are attempting to save face.

I suppose the analogy works in a few ways.

MisterHero

Nintendo's clearly put their focus behind the Wii. It needs it, and last year turned out really well.

DS will probably get loads of new games in the next 1 or 2 years. On top of its currently awesome library.

test_account

XP-39C²
PantherLotus said:
Actually what he's suggesting (wrongly, in my opinion) is that it's Nintendo has given up because they're so far ahead. Garbage time often sees the loser exploding back at the very end (see college athletics where sportsmanship is supposedly a factor) but this has more to do with pulling the best players out on the winning team while the losing team still has their best players in and they are attempting to save face.

Ah yes, good point, i didnt think of it that way, thanks for pointing that out :) I dont know if Nintendo has given up, but if they have then garbage time might be a good description of the DS VS PSP situation indeed.

One thing i forgot to mention in my previous post, how is Sony with the 1st party PSP software support now? I know they have released something recentely atleast (Echo Chrome and Patapon), but do they have any software planned for the future, has anything been announced or have they given up on releasing 1st party sofware for the PSP?

test_account said:
Ah yes, good point, i didnt think of it that way, thanks for pointing that out :) I dont know if Nintendo has given up, but if they have then garbage time might be a good description of the DS VS PSP situation.

One thing i forgot to mention in my previous post. How is Sony with the 1st party PSP software support now? I know they have released something recentely atleast (Echo Chrome and Patapon), but do they have any software planned for the future, has anything been announced or have they given up on releasing 1st party sofware for the PSP?
That's the $64,000 question. I guess we'll find out as the year progresses.

test_account said:
Ok :) But have any games been announced atleast? I havnt really followed the PSP that much.
It's looking really empty right now. Just Secret Agent Clank off the top of my head. But... release lists usually look pretty empty this time of the year, before the announcements from the big shows.

Innotech

Banned
I dont think it will match the success of handheld versions, by the very nature and accessibility of handhelds, but it may very well be the most successful MH console version to date. If it would add another success to Capcoms Wii support, I will be very happy. I love Capcom and always have. they continue to make some of the best decisions this gen of all the 3rd parties.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
God it's almost impossible to predict/forecast/guess/analyze what next week's sales are going to look like! I can't imagine where we could look. Any ideas, people?

mc-extremelyclose-70.jpg

mc-extremelyclose-YOY-70.jpg

Next Week:
360: 1600
Wii: 52,000
PS3: 13,000

test_account

XP-39C²
Segata Sanshiro said:
It's looking really empty right now. Just Secret Agent Clank off the top of my head. But... release lists usually look pretty empty this time of the year, before the announcements from the big shows.

Ah yes, i had forgotten about Secret Agent Clank, thanks for mentioning that :) Ok, i'll guess we'll see some announcements on E3 and TGS atleast, if there are anything to announce in the PSP deparment of course.

Innotech

Banned
test_account said:

fair enough.

Avrum

MisterHero said:
Nintendo's clearly put their focus behind the Wii. It needs it, and last year turned out really well.

DS will probably get loads of new games in the next 1 or 2 years. On top of its currently awesome library.

Here's to hoping E3 shows that as well. Some projects from third parties, both WiiWare and retail have been impressive though Nintendo and a few other larger publishers have been rather silent...

MisterHero

Avrum said:
Here's to hoping E3 shows that as well. Some projects from third parties, both WiiWare and retail have been impressive though Nintendo and a few other larger publishers have been rather silent...
I agree a lot. Hopefully they'll talk about Monster Hunter 3. It's announced but I keep forgetting it exists. :lol o_o

Innotech

Banned
Avrum said:
Nintendo recently announced in some press release that they were putting more resources behind the Wii than the DS.

Arde5643

PantherLotus said:
God it's almost impossible to predict/forecast/guess/analyze what next week's sales are going to look like! I can't imagine where we could look. Any ideas, people?

PantherLotus
Professional Schmuck.
(Today, 02:22 AM)

Not hard to see why. :lol

Minsc

Gold Member
PantherLotus said:

Next Week:
360: 1600
Wii: 52,000
PS3: 13,000

I have to admit it, I'm a damned skeptic when it comes to the Wii in Japan, despite not slumping last week, this week saw a pretty big drop in hardware, to where it is now under 50K, which is where I thought it was going to end up last week, before I was proved to be completely wrong.

Looking at your weekly sales graph, I see the PS3 has made it over it's hill; it's back to the levels it was at in September, and I can't get rid of the feeling that is where the Wii is headed as well, it's just a bigger hill which will be interrupted by Golden Week... which if I'm reading the chart right bumped only the Wii sales for two weeks, but that is just Nintendo getting more Wiis on the shelves during those weeks.

I do think Nintendo has done an amazing job marketing their console, and has surprised/surpassed everyone's expectations. I think part of the reason the gaming industry is so fun to follow is partly due to how many upsets and how unpredictable things can be.

Innotech

Banned
PantherLotus said:

what I basically mean is "the gap is more like the grand canyon than silicon valley" PSP is selling well but its Moot. Karma Sony.
In other words, much like our New Orleans Saints, Sony has found itself losing the game, but doing well when it doesnt really count anymore, hence, Garbage time.

Tenbatsu

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Isn't the combat also vastly different? I'm assuming MH uses a real time battle system.
Ya, combat is totally different from Pokemon, no way they are the same. You are correct, MH uses a real time battle system where you roam the area, see the monster and fight it. No transition into a battle screen like pokemon. Monsters will run to different area thou and you have to give chase then to hunt them down. Actually, you can catch them too and use them in Colosseum fight in MH2, not sure if the PSP versions have this function.

Is someone able to tell me the total "sold-software" in Japan for the DS ? I've heard the ratio is pretty good considering the fact that the DS has his 4th anniversary in ,wait ... december?

Nocebo

Thanks for the charts PantherLotus, awesome as always. I wonder what that jackass who said the numbers weren't close to last year has to say about it.

kamikaze

uh oh, nintendo...hurry up with the ds2! :D

on a serious note, anyone know how's the psp's software sales are doing compared to last year?

Parl

For Wii sales, I think that Mario Kart, Wii Music and Animal Crossing could have an impact (although AC may not be as appropriate for home systems as it is on handhelds), and of course, whatever cards Nintendo haven't yet shown for 08.

Do you think Nintendo would have dropped the price for the DS Lite by now if they didn't have a plan to bring up hardware sales higher again? Typically, going for 3 and a half years without a price drop would be expected to cause one nice boost when one comes, although most people who currently want one would have bought one by now, methinks.

farnham

Banned
Parl said:
For Wii sales, I think that Mario Kart, Wii Music and Animal Crossing could have an impact (although AC may not be as appropriate for home systems as it is on handhelds), and of course, whatever cards Nintendo haven't yet shown for 08.

Do you think Nintendo would have dropped the price for the DS Lite by now if they didn't have a plan to bring up hardware sales higher again? Typically, going for 3 and a half years without a price drop would be expected to cause one nice boost when one comes, although most people who currently want one would have bought one by now, methinks.
animal crossing was one of the few games on the GC that sold 1 million copies (if you consider the e reader edition that is) in Japan..

antiloop

Verve said:
37,581 Japanese Yen = 366.675 US Dollar = 234.520 Euro (which is less than the price of a wii here)

(40 GB amazon.co.jp price)

360 for 26 410 Japanese yen = 165.652424 Euros
PS3 for 37 581 Japanese yen = 235.720703 Euros
Wii for 23 750 Japanese yen = 148.968007 Euros

Those lucky bastards. :)

Sony really needs to do something with the PS3. Sell it at considerably less than cost if needs be because it's in a whole world of hurt over there.

Top Bottom