• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo giving Devs free Wii U kits?

EVIL

☑ Learn to code
☑ Get the help of a graphical designer
☑ Come up with a game
☑ Make the game (in progress)
☑ Get a secure space for the devkit
☑ Get a devkit (hopefully get it for free!)
☐ Have previous professional game dev experience

:(

Ehh, maybe try self publishing the game on something else then the wii U? (steam maybe? or self publish and port it over to wii U later?

I can see why they require you to have at least some previous game development experience. Its not an unreasonable requirement.

jaz013

Banned
I guess Nintendo trying to get more developers is a bad thing. Who woulda thought

Every single WiiU thread must become a "NINTENDO DOOOMED!!" thread, because, you know, GHAPIX MAN!.

Hopefully this means we should see more original efforts and not only me-too sloppy ports, and the expected Nintendo output (which rarely disappoint).

Most people believed vita was in trouble before it released
"Most"? That such a non-specific statement it's practically meaningless, and pointless to discuss.

And in any case it certainly didn't include Sony judging by their projected sales forecasts to shareholders. The plan to lend out devkits does however fit nicely with Sony's stated goal to become more open to smaller publishers and indie games, something we're now clearly seeing the results of.

Gannd

Banned
Nintendo is damned if they do and damned if they don't. The narrative has been set and people like sticking to the narrative.

Oersted

Well, they did it a few times.

Every single WiiU thread must become a "NINTENDO DOOOMED!!" thread, because, you know, GHAPIX MAN!.

Hopefully this means we should see more original efforts and not only me-too sloppy ports, and the expected Nintendo output (which rarely disappoint).

Oh come on, when did we have the last one? Seems like it is already one or even two days.

Yep, especially indies. There are already plenty and its gonna be more.

TedNindo

Anything Nintendo does to improve relationships with any developer at a relative minor cost is OK at this point imo. They need the games and are sitting on enough money for it not to hurt them at all. Sony and MS took far harder hits by just releasing the XBOX360 and PS3.

Morokh

maybe its you the one who is living on a bizarro world,almost everyone thought 3ds was gonna be a behemoth and vita a failure

Not around when Sony announced the price !
The more positive ones were all OMG VITA's gonna crush the 3DS, the more negative ones were sure the Vita would do WAY better than the PSP.

Taker666

The only problem I see is that those who don't get free kits may take it as a slight and be pissed off.

Still ..it's a worthwhile investment. $3 million wouldn't buy you much of anything from big 3rd parties....but you could give away 1000 devkits to indies for that and get a chunk of quality games.

Does NPD count those as a sale?
$3k

This includes a fully licensed version of Unity4 with WiiU exporting options.
Isn't that the super elite publisher only price?
The only problem I see is that those who don't get free kits may take it as a slight and be pissed off.

Still ..it's a worthwhile investment. $3 million wouldn't buy you much of anything from big 3rd parties....but you could give away 1000 devkits to indies for that and get a chunk of quality games.
I remember an artist once gave out camcorders to the public with his grant money and and a note saying "please return anything you make" and I think only 20% of them bothered.
Nintendo is damned if they do and damned if they don't. The narrative has been set and people like sticking to the narrative.
Where good news has there been for the WiiU since launch? I'm not really seeing this alternative narrative you speak of.

They need to do far more than simply giving out free dev kits.

Indie developers will likely lap up these freebies. But any one that's been around the block will realise there's the opportunity cost to consider when spending time and resources on titles for minor platforms.

It's a smart move from Nintendo getting developers with few business smarts to develop for them on the cheap.

But I can't help feeling that this strategy will leave a nasty after taste in the developer's mouths when their titles under perform financially after all the effort they have sunk in.

If they really want to secure long term support they should be money hatting developers which can be deducted from royalty payments.

antonz

They need to do far more than simply giving out free dev kits.

Indie developers will likely lap up these freebies. But any one that's been around the block will realise there's the opportunity cost to consider when spending time and resources on titles for minor platforms.

It's a smart move from Nintendo getting developers with few business smarts to develop for them on the cheap.

But I can't help feeling that this strategy will leave a nasty after taste in the developer's mouths when their titles under perform financially after all the effort they have sunk in.

If they really want to secure long term support they should be money hatting developers which can be deducted from royalty payments.

People who Nintendo view as worthy enough for free dev kits are also being given thousands of dollars worth of game engines etc. These people will be quite happy to make the effort. Nintendo isn't forcing platform exclusivity like Microsoft tries to do etc

I don't know about that, I do know the Wii U sold about 3 million? Already, While compared to the 360 which sold 6 million in it's first year, so the Wii U might be on the same track as the 360.
Really? I didnt know 360 sold 6 mil.

edit: I guess thats maybe shipped? Oh well investors meeting in a few weeks will reveal it.

maverick40

Well good your job is completely irrelevant then.

My job is in the semiconductor industry, a lot more relevant than Nintendo in the grand scale of things, sorry. But that is neither here nor there. The fact is, nobody cares about the Wii U and Nintendo are doing nothing about it except the odd Nintendo direct and the promise of future titles.

gngf123

My job is in the semiconductor industry, a lot more relevant than Nintendo in the grand scale of things, sorry. But that is neither here nor there. The fact is, nobody cares about the Wii U and Nintendo are doing nothing about it except the odd Nintendo direct and the promise of future titles.

Games don't get made overnight. Not a huge amount more they can do except demonstrate the games which will be coming in the future.

Well... unless they were to do a WiiU ambassador scheme or something. They are already selling the console at a small loss so I'm not sure they actually can do that right now.

maverick40

Games don't get made overnight. Not a huge amount more they can do except demonstrate the games which will be coming in the future.

Well... unless they were to do a WiiU ambassador scheme or something. They are already selling the console at a small loss so I'm not sure they actually can do that right now.

That is all true but what have Nintendo been doing since 2011 when they left their most successful home console ever to rot?

Darryl

Banned
maybe its you the one who is living on a bizarro world,almost everyone thought 3ds was gonna be a behemoth and vita a failure

that is hilarious. i was definitely around here then and i was in the minority saying that the 3DS wasn't a bomb yet guys, just wait for the games, exactly like I've been doing lately with the Wii U.

You know what your completely right

I have to wonder what they are doing with the Virtual console. The Wii U was practically made for a steady drip of one GC game per week @15. They could at least release the games they developed and published at 480p and patch in off TV play down the road.

That is all true but what have Nintendo been doing since 2011 when they left their most successful home console ever to rot?
X, 3D Mario, Mario Kart, WW HD, retros game, yoshi yarn, smtxfe, other unknown collabs...

Granted these games should be further along in development, but keep in mind 3DS didnt have games instantly either and its doing well today.

Really with which company? The one with a dead handheld or the always online one?

Vita's been discontinued? Next box has been confirmed to be always online? Are we jumping to conclusions here?

If so then I guess the WiiU will be the gamecube of this generation except lacking any meaningful third party support. So essentially a N64.

After nintendo promising the WiiU will be for U with all the third parties on board we get this botched launch. Now them sending free dev kits is a good sign but what the fuck were they doing when they said they were going to get third party support. To us it seems as if they did not even try.

X, 3D Mario, Mario Kart, WW HD, retros game, yoshi yarn, smtxfe, other unknown collabs...

Granted these games should be further along in development, but keep in mind 3DS didnt have games instantly either and its doing well today.

So do we have any release dates for those titles? All we know is that they are going to come out but when 2013,2014? Unknown collabs lol thats as desperate as Vita owners saying there are games going to be announced soon.

3DS comparisons to WiiU are about as accurate as comparing PS vita to PS3: not accurate at all.

Did the 360 ship or sell 6 million in its first year?
First four fiscal quarters, 6M.

3.2M in the first two quarters, where they had supply constraint occurring.

The Wii U hasn't sold-through it's initial shipment. It will not meet the revised forecast in all likelihood.

Vita's been discontinued? Next box has been confirmed to be always online? Are we jumping to conclusions here?

If so then I guess the WiiU will be the gamecube of this generation except lacking any meaningful third party support. So essentially a N64.

After nintendo promising the WiiU will be for U with all the third parties on board we get this botched launch. Now them sending free dev kits is a good sign but what the fuck were they doing when they said they were going to get third party support. To us it seems as if they did not even try.
Hey Im just following the script of everyone else man

Top Bottom