• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

-Minsc-

I agree, it's far too close to the slime sound. I spent half an hour last night digging through a cave because I heard slimes in the area, only to eventually find out it was a lava fall after all.

Other than that though I'm loving 1.2. I started a new map with the same seed I used for my 1.0 world, and wow is it different. The world generator sure was tweaked. The general layout of the land is the same as I had in my 1.0 map but everything is so much more interesting. The relatively flat forest island I spawned on in 1.0 is still there, same basic coastline shape, same double ravine exposed at ground level, but in 1.2 it is now an extreme mountain biome! And I'm talking mountains the likes of which we used to see in the old alpha generation. In fact all mountain biomes see to be much more awesome. Actually all biomes seem more varied and interesting.

I've started a nice base into a small cliffside with a staircase down to a huge undeground double ravine filled with lava and waterfalls. Once I get established, start a farm and animal pens for food and wool and mine up some cobble I'm going to trek to the nearby mountaintop at level 124 that overlooks the ocean and build a huge castle on it's top.

And man, I've used more iron doors so far than I have in a year in the game. I pretty much only use wooden doors now for interior doors where zombies shouldn't be able to get to. I used a wood door for my hole in the wall on my first night and was quickly reminded that zombies now gleefully bust them down. In fact I think they seek the damn door out just to pound on them for the fun of it! I love the sound they make, very intimidating.

It's sounding like NeoCRAFT will have to start exploring new continents.

Morokh

For my Single player world I had a pretty interesting setting too, I spawned in a plain biome, right next to the sea, with a jungle biome nearby.

I crossed the jungle biome and went south, and found a rather small desert biome, surrounded with another jungle, taiga (with wolves), extreme hills, plains hills and a canyon just past my first jungle.
There is also a swamp not too far, and a zombie and skeleton surface dungeon in the desert.

It's pretty cool overall, but requires to build in the desert if you want to keep this central position, and I don't really like doing that mainly because of the tree/grass problem I was talking before.

Another thing that is not so great is that the closest village is really far away.

I did not build much in it yet, because despite the cool features i cant' find a good and easy to reach spot for a first base to set up the essential things (farms/barn ...) I only built an elevated cabin on fences you access with a ladder with a trapdoor, to avoid the zombie problem the first night and started digging a strip mine that ended up at the bottom of a canyon.

Haha, well your death was better than my recent hardcore game. I died after putting many hours of work into an awesome base and tower only to die while mapping my surroundings when I walked off of a cliff while looking at my map. Twas a sad day.

Ouch! Yeah, going out like that had to hurt.

Other than that though I'm loving 1.2. I started a new map with the same seed I used for my 1.0 world, and wow is it different. The world generator sure was tweaked. The general layout of the land is the same as I had in my 1.0 map but everything is so much more interesting. The relatively flat forest island I spawned on in 1.0 is still there, same basic coastline shape, same double ravine exposed at ground level, but in 1.2 it is now an extreme mountain biome! And I'm talking mountains the likes of which we used to see in the old alpha generation. In fact all mountain biomes see to be much more awesome. Actually all biomes seem more varied and interesting.

Yeah I checked out my old 1.0 seed in 1.2 and the general layout was the same for mine as well. I lucked out on the cool landscapes though. Where once were awesome mountains jutting out of the ocean to the north of my island base, is now boring flat grassland. My island is still there though, so I'm going to wait until they stop messing with the generation code then import my castle and the other stuff I built from my old world using one of those world editors. There's no way I'm building all of that again from scratch.

Oh, and tah daaaaaaaaaaah:

M0qlL.png

My first music disk ever, after 17 months playing. Dropped off a creeper that took an arrow to the knee from a skeleton.

defel

Ive been watching some of these videos on "Tekkit" which incorporates Buildcraft, IndustrialCraft as well as a bunch of other mods and it looks amazing. I really enjoy the mining, exploring and hoarding aspect of Minecraft (i honestly dont care too much for building things) so this looks perfect. Im going to check it out in earnest this weekend.

Ive been watching some of these videos on "Tekkit" which incorporates Buildcraft, IndustrialCraft as well as a bunch of other mods and it looks amazing. I really enjoy the mining, exploring and hoarding aspect of Minecraft (i honestly dont care too much for building things) so this looks perfect. Im going to check it out in earnest this weekend.

Just watched the first part and I must admit that looks pretty amazing. It's looks to be very automated once you start, but looks pretty complicated to setup which is rewarding in its own way. I could see it lagging a server pretty bad though.

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah it's probably like a piece of bedrock at specific coordinates really far into a world has a picture of him on it or something.

-Minsc-

What's wrong with half-blocks?

They give more detail when needed, and work nicely as steps.

Indeed.

I use stone slabs when building a roof, usually I like the shallower pitch. Once I get my hands on 1.2 they'll be even better.

From The Escapist:

Article regarding half blocks said:
In the years he's now been working on the game, Notch discussed some mistakes he made. While staircases and lanterns made sense aesthetically in the game world, Notch concedes that the half-meter blocks were a mistake as essentially "You've doubled the number of blocks" and created a major headache for coding.

Article regarding the secret said:
There are many, many recipes in the game that require days to find the ingredients to and utilize. But, "there is one thing people haven't found yet."

Read the complete article here

So, the secret is an unknown recipe. Interesting. Wonder what it can be?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
From The Escapist:

Read the complete article here

So, the secret is an unknown recipe. Interesting. Wonder what it can be?

It would have to be a recipe. It can't be a block or anything textured because it would have been easily discovered just by peeking through the .jar files. It could be a mechanic of some kind too, like maybe an actual way to grow cocoa beans? Because that should be in the game by now. lol.

It would have to be a recipe. It can't be a block or anything textured because it would have been easily discovered just by peeking through the .jar files. It could be a mechanic of some kind too, like maybe an actual way to grow cocoa beans? Because that should be in the game by now. lol.

Well there could be an image that's hard-coded somewhere, but the modders would have probably found that by now anyway if it existed. Could be one of the recipes that's created when you assemble blocks in a certain way, like the golems.

So there's still no way of growing cocoa beans then? Shit, never realised that :lol

-Minsc-

One underwater bubble.

After I connect it to the mainland with a tunnel I can begin working on the interior. Still not completely sure what yet.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Minecraft 1.3 will have Bukkit integrated directly into the server client:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4_5cegsmEE&list=UUzWVveMiQIHas4C3DQE34Ww&index=1&feature=plcp

So integrated Bukkit for 1.3 multiplayer, then it sounds like they are going to use the mod API that Bukkit uses and mesh it into the single player client and use that for SSP mod support. That makes sense when you think about it, there already is a mod API for SMP: Bukkit. Why not use an existing and proven API that works?

I like the way Mojang thinks.

Bakphoon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4_5cegsmEE&list=UUzWVveMiQIHas4C3DQE34Ww&index=1&feature=plcp

So integrated Bukkit for 1.3 multiplayer, then it sounds like they are going to use the mod API that Bukkit uses and mesh it into the single player client and use that for SSP mod support. That makes sense when you think about it, there already is a mod API for SMP: Bukkit. Why not use an existing and proven API that works?

I would have been disappointed if bukkit was not intergrated in 1.3.

I would be, considering there's a beta release already.

At the very least, I'd be rather annoyed, since the only server I play on is operating like Ark's operating his - 1.1 until Recommended Build comes out. Although, to make matters worse, that server's head admin also put in a mod that limits the size of the world to a specific radius (something like 1536, I forget exactly what), and won't raise it until the server goes 1.2 (so we stand a chance of getting some jungles), which limits what I can do until then...

Ranger X

Fuck yeah! Minecraft multiplayer just improved alot now.

I'm very excited for better mod integration into minecraft. There are some amazing mods that I'd love to try, but I always find myself apprehensive. And better integration of the modding community would probably end with me installing a ton of mods, rather than just the necessary Optifog.

Having said that, I hope there are other features built into 1.3 besides Bukkit integration. A perfect update has a good mix of single- and multi-player features.

Jasoco

Banned
What other mods does NeoCraft use besides Bukkit that would need to be updated every time MC got updated? Will the turn around time for updating the server to standard be faster now? Either way, this is awesome. I can get back into playing online.

What other mods does NeoCraft use besides Bukkit that would need to be updated every time MC got updated? Will the turn around time for updating the server to standard be faster now? Either way, this is awesome. I can get back into playing online.

I believe NeoCraft only runs Bukkit. In the past when we've waited to update once Bukkit went live we made the switch.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Ark, Mengy or anyone that can answer. What chat plugin is being used on the gaf server? I want to implement one on my server.

Vespene

It would be awesome if there's a character that randomly appears given a very specific set of circumstances. It would have to use an existing in-game asset or skin so it's not obvious to data miners.

Top Bottom