• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Future Nintendo Switch Titles

So with the combining of Nintendo's internal development teams as well as combining development to one system. This has allowed Nintendo to develop more titles for the system. In the Switch's 1st year we will get 3D Zelda, 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem Warriors, Pokken and two new ips. In its 2nd year, it could likely have Animal Crossing, Smash Bros, Fire Emblem, Mario Maker, Pokemon, Pikmin, Mario Party, Kirby and Yoshi. Wouldn't be surprised to see 2D Zelda, Luigis Mansion and/or DKC:TF port in addition to likely another new ip sneak their way into 2018 as well. Metroid Prime 4 is likely a 2019 title.

In the past after releasing a major new title the development teams would start rushing to make an entry of the series on the next system. Since they will likely release all of their major franchises in the first two years I hope they can pursue older ips such as Star Fox, F-Zero, and Kid Icarus. In addition to new ips in particular from the Zelda team, EAD Tokyo and Retro. Here is what I'd like to see for future Switch support from Nintendo:

Mario:
Super Mario 3D Galaxy- followup to 3D world borrowing elements from the Galaxy series as well.

2D Mario- New, creative and ambitious title that breaks free from the previous 2D Mario molds with a unique art style and soundtrack.

Super Mario Sunshine x Splatoon- sequel to Sunshine and crossover with Splatoon starring Mario and the inklings.

Zelda:
2D Zelda- enjoyed ALBW but I'd like to see an evolution/reinvention of the 2D style.

Hyrule Warriors 2

Sheik spin-off game- uses BotW engine to make a new Sheik based game.

Zelda collection- Skyward Sword remade for $50 releases in March. Season passes sold along with it. One season pass for OoT and MM which release digitally in May and July and are packaged together for $40 at retail in July with the season passes available for the other games. Last Season pass is WW and TP which release digitally in September and November and are packaged together at retail for $60 in November as well. The full collection has a physical release one year after SS HD for $150.

Paper Link- have the Paper Mario team move onto a new ip like Zelda.

Splatoon:

Squid Sisters- Rhythm Action RPG borrowing elements from Ouendan/EBA, Theatrhythm, and Electroplankton.

Splatoon World Cup- Splatoon spin-off that plays very similarly to Splatoon 2. Game modes are based on sports such as Football, Skateboarding, Soccer, Volleyball, and Basketball.

Super Mario Sunshine x Splatoon

Other:

New 2D Metroid- with MP4 confirmed, hopefully Samus Returns on 3DS sells well enough to warrant a new 2D Metroid on Switch.

Star Fox 3- Game is given MK/Splatoon level resources and marketing. Core focus of the game is around multiplayer. There is a single player campaign reminiscent of the original SF titles. Introduces a new team Star Lynx made up of Miyu, Faye, Kat and another female character. Star Fox, Star Wolf and Star Lynx team members are all playable in Multiplayer which features different ships for each player along with different stats and abilities. Nintendo also releases a Star Fox mobile title that plays similarly to the original star fox except you control movement with gyro and shooting with touch. Levels are randomly generated. Also include Amiibos for the game.

Kid Icarus: Uprising 2- evolves the template that the original established. Controls are like Splatoon 2. Rail shooter aspect is kept mostly the same. 3rd person aspect is more focused and able to provide larger action set pieces as well as more linear and structured level design. Multiplayer mode is further fleshed out. Have a large part of Uprising's cast return. The story could be about a war between the Greek based Gods already present in Uprising and new Roman and Egyptian based gods. Again given a big resource and marketing push like Mario Kart and Splatoon. Include Amiibos for the game.

F-Zero- use GX as the aim for the core of the game. Focus more heavily on the cast and make them seen more interesting. Introduce 16 player online racing mode. Include Amiibos for the game. Also a mobile title launches and is controlled mainly by gyroscope controls.

Super Nintendo World- sequel to Nintendo land. Offers 10 minigames and as you play them you earn rewards. The main focus is you can build your own Nintendo world. You can build your own town using shops, buildings, characters and assets from all Nintendo franchises. For example you could build a pokemart in your town alongside Hyrule castle, Pinna Park Ferris Wheel from the Mario series and Fountain of Dreams from Kirby. As you build your Nintendo world you will attract other Nintendo characters to your world. You can share your world online for players to visit, rate and comment on. You can also visit other players worlds. The game has a ton assets to unlock but the game is compatible with every Amiibo as well. The Amiibos will unlock more series specific assets depending on which Amiibo you scan.

New Ips- I'd really like to see new ips from the Zelda team, EAD Tokyo and Retro.

Tldr version: What titles would you like to see Nintendo develop on Switch?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
New Ips, new Ips, new Ips.

Hope Retros next game is something completely new. We always get those established IPs sooner or later so i dont even ask for them. Want the big Zelda and Mario teams to work on complete new stuff with similar resources.

Talking established IPs - i would love to see Golden Sun return and obv, Animal Crossing Switch will own lives whenever they drop it.

NMFried

My man.

Custom robo was way ahead of it's time needs to be brought back. They could make this the next big eSports game. Make it even a moba

Making it an eSports title would be fantastic. Not sure about a MOBA, but give it the love they gave ARMS and -- wait. Is ARMS kind of like Custom Robo but without robots? (Well, there's one robot). And obviously without the RPG elements.

This is what i would like:

Super Mario Sunshine HD on virtual console

and to promote it, a new game mode on Splatoon where one team has Ink weapons and the other team has F.L.U.D.D. packs and one paints the other cleans

+ Mario and friends gear!

OR ALTERNATIVELY

A new weapon (F.L.U.D.D.) thats extremely good at covering enemy ink, but the tradeoff is that it does not ink any turf!! (Special is jetpack fludd)

EDIT 1: I would love a Zelda HD Collection - Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess HD, Ocarina of Time HD and Majora's Mask HD (Grezzo 3DS versions)

Edit 2: Mario Kart 8 DX dlc starting with Kirby on warpstar

Toxi

Banned
F-Zero- use GX as the aim for the core of the game. Focus more heavily on the cast and make them seen more interesting. Introduce 16 player online racing mode. Include Amiibos for the game. Also a mobile title launches and is controlled mainly by gyroscope controls.
Wait, the mobile title is controlled by the gyroscope or the console title?

Because F-Zero GX-style gameplay with the gyroscope would be a trainwreck.

My fingers are crossed for Luigi's Mansion 3, I really got into the one on the 3DS and being able to take the Switch on the go, I think that would work out very well.

Gleethor

Will anyone be excited to return to 3D World after playing Odyssey? GIve me Super Mario Galactic Odyssey as a sequel.

When can we expect the next 3D mainline Zelda for it? 2020?

Maybe holiday 2019 if they do a Majora's Mask-ish sequel using the same engine and a lot of the same assets.

As for my contributions to the thread, I really don't even know what to ask for. Everybody always wants a sequel to [insert dead franchise] but I don't think those often turn out as well as people hope. See: Kid Icarus, Star Fox Zero for recent examples.

I never would have thought to ask for a game like Snipperclips until I had it, and now I think it's great. I guess if I just limit myself to a genre, I'd really like to see Nintendo take another stab at tower defense like they did with Dillon's Rolling Western. I've always been pretty easy to please when it comes to TD games.

I wouldn't mind some more 3D platformers either. Yet another genre where I'll likely enjoy any halfway decent game.

I honestly feel like Splatoon could have a lot of spin-offs like Kirby. It's world feels pretty free, so you could easily put the inklings in all sorts of scenarios. Like Soccer, or sports, and other things too. Like OP said, I'd loooooooove a Rhythm game with a lot of idols from Splatoon.

NotSelf

ft949.jpg

Still waiting for Animal Crossing.

I'd hire Hexadrive or Bluepoint (or Vicarious Visions even) to remake Mario 64 and Star Fox 64

And I'd bring back Golden Sun since they don't really have a traditional turn based RPG (fucking Superstar Saga remake on shitty ass 3DS fuckfuck)

I'd hire Hexadrive or Bluepoint (or Vicarious Visions even) to remake Mario 64 and Star Fox 64

And I'd bring back Golden Sun since they don't really have a traditional turn based RPG (fucking Superstar Saga remake on shitty ass 3DS fuckfuck)
Star Fox 64 already had a great remake and I doubt Nintendo are trying to fill a 3D Mario hole with Odyssey coming out so soon. Golden Sun on the other hand would be very nice.

There's one thing that I've always wanted most of all...

Nintendo vs. Capcom.

You give the Nintendo characters the simplified controls of a Smash game, and you give Capcom characters traditional fighting game motions. Or you stick with one or the other. Regardless, it's something I've always wanted to see.

Other than that, I'd love a new Custom Robo.

Well, let's look at what they've done with their games so far:

- Zelda was the grand return for the series to its open-world action RPG roots
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe took a widely praised Mario Kart and fixed one of its most enduring gameplay issues: the crappy battle mode
- ARMS is another unique take on the fighting game genre
- Splatoon 2 builds on the foundation of the first with new modes, new weapons, new customization options, and IMO most critically a really awesome vision for console local networking
- Mario Odyssey is Nintendo realizing that trying to attract 2D Mario fans to 3D Mario is a non-starter and building a game that's 3D-first for the first time since Sunshine

Based on that pedigree, I'd love to see:

- A 2D Mario game that breaks new ground in terms of world content (new worlds), enemy variety (new enemies), and edge (recent Mario games are cutesy from start to finish when the Dark World in Mario 3 was anything but), all qualities that in recent years were mostly reserved for the 3D games - and that ditches the NSMB style for good
- Smash 4, with more characters and stages and a more robust single-player mode to complement Classic Mode
- A brand-new MOBA IP that ideally doesn't focus on established Nintendo characters
- A brand-new RPG IP (can be either JRPG or WRPG styled for all I care, but the key ask is that its appeal crosses over with RPGs on other platforms)
- A brand-new party game IP that doesn't use a board game format
- F-Zero as the "expert racing game" to complement Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- Metroid Prime 4 focusing more on exploring alien worlds and challenging seasoned players than on resolving the story setup Tanabe is trying to build with 3 and Federation Force
- 3D Zelda HD collection bringing together all the 3D titles (could be split OoT/MM and TWW/TP/SS)
- Metroid Prime Trilogy in HD
- Animal Crossing that is designed first and foremost to provide an experience that's more readily shareable with family and friends
- More Mario Kart 8 DLC to extend the kinds of support the game got on Wii U; I think they could manage to fit another row of 6 cups below the existing ones, as well as four more battle mode arenas
-
Physical releases of Nintendo Classics collections that span NES/SNES/GB(C)/GBA

kevin1025

Banned
I would love more Donkey Kong, or a collection of Returns and Tropical Freeze, even.

Animal Crossing would be perfect, and would serve the Switch incredibly well.

Paper Mario, or Mario & Luigi, that would be so good!

And Luigi's Mansion, of course.

DMONKUMA

Well considering new IPs I'm gonna quote myself from another thread

Three things come to mind....

-Action game that can played solo but has a big focus on co-op, being similar to Monster Hunter or Lost Planet where you fight giant monsters/enemies.

-Rogue-like loot based rpg similiar to Diablo and/or grim dawn. Has couch/tabletop coop where each individual joycon is used for one player for a total of 4 max.

-Moba style game that has the third-person viewpoint that is seen in Smite and Paragon but it's very action focused, has similarities to anarchy reigns.

I figured these three as the fit into the multiplayer setup that Nintendo tries to aim for. First one is for local play with nearby friends, second is for tabletop/couch coop, third is the competitive action.

As far as another new entry in a series....I'm already happen with MP4, if there was a 2D one for the Switch that be great as well. I'd enjoy another Kid Icarus Uprising game too.

Rmagnus

Banned
Maybe holiday 2019 if they do a Majora's Mask-ish sequel using the same engine and a lot of the same assets.

As for my contributions to the thread, I really don't even know what to ask for. Everybody always wants a sequel to [insert dead franchise] but I don't think those often turn out as well as people hope. See: Kid Icarus, Star Fox Zero for recent examples.

One of the best 3ds game? What's wrong with it

I've kinda given up hoping for anything specific from Nintendo (or other game makers like Valve for that matter), outside of the obvious general stuff like New Zelda, New Mario, etc.

I'd love a new F-Zero, but I have my doubts a new one could capture everything I loved about GX. And I have even more doubts that Nintendo will actually make a new F-Zero anytime soon.

I'd love a new Golden Sun, but the last one was a huge disappointment for me and I don't think it sold anywhere near well enough for them to do another one (or any new RPG that doesn't have Mario in it).

I'd love VC on the Switch that goes from NES to Gamecube for console games and GB through DS for handheld games, but Nintendo seems to care more about their little "Classic" systems and their mediocre sounding online service to want to bother with full VC-style game releases on the Switch for the time being. Plus I have doubts that the Switch is powerful enough to do straight Gamecube emulation, so any Gamecube games will need to be ports or re-releases.

Thankfully I'm reasonably happy with how Nintendo is handling the Switch so far. Really good original games like BOTW and I'm sure Odyssey, great up-ports like Mario Kart DX, and the system is being fairly Indie friendly so far (except for games like N++, but hopefully Nintendo gets nicer about games on other platforms soon so I can get that on Switch too).

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
As far as unannounced, my guesses for reuse of IP

Animal Crossing
Pikmin
Wii Sports something
Wii Fit something
2D Mario
3D DK
Smash 4 DX
Multiplayer Zelda game (maybe old school, maybe new school)
Some sort of new RPG, maybe Mario or maybe something else from 1st party

For new IP, I think theyll show something new for esports next year.

They do tend to be a bit on the unpredictable side even when you know theres always a new Kirby, Yoshi or whatever around the corner

zeexlash

I think we'll soon see a new 2D Super Mario Bros. that isn't New Super Mario Bros.

Nice surprises for 2018 would be Pikmin 4 and Luigi's Mansion 3.

Scrawnton

I don't think a Smash 4 port is happening. Smash 5 is happening.
It'll just be the same game as Smash 4 but with maybe four or so new characters and levels and all DLC in a package. I don't think they're going to change the engine or assets for what they already have. They'll just build on the current release.

Top Bottom