• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

moozoom

Do you live in Japan? If you live in US, or for anyone from US who got this, is it available at Mitsuwa? I wanna get one.

No, I'm French, I ordered it on amazon Japan last week, and it arrived very quickly. (I ordered a bunch of stuff for some friends and myself to compensate the high shipping cost of a single item) I'm sure some good Japanese bookstores must sell it too...

This is why I said before that the worst thing about the controls are its default setup. If the game made its default more palatable and ergonomic, a lot of people wouldn't even factor in the controls as being the games blight.

I mean, is anyone who's really enjoying the game even using the default setup?

Yes. I haven't touched any of the options.

Effect

Up to chapter 10 now. The level 4 range of intensity at the moment is my limit it seems. I can't seem to do 5.0 or higher without dying and being dropped back to 4. What I find weird though is that the boss fights seem easy compared to the other aspects of the stages. Perhaps it's the one on one nature of the fights compared to the sometimes bullet hell air and ground sections.

I'm quite happy at staying at 4 and 5 but would like to go higher to get some the better weapons. Maybe I need to just keep fusing weapons until I get something better and better and then tackle them again. I'm assuming weapon levels really determine if a stage is doable at higher levels. It can't just be a skill thing because it seems like a race to take out as many enemies as fast as you can. Though could be wrong as I bet enemies get tougher and there simply aren't just more of them. Are things balanced in the end? Meaning it does come down to skill in the end?

Also going to give the stand a real try tonight. Placing the game on my leg is fine for short burst but doing a few chapters in a row start to take their toll.

Korosenai

Yeah. I don't think twin sticks would have been fast enough for this game. Really should have been a Wii game. Hopefully this sells well enough that they make the next one for it (or WiiU).

Exactly. This is a fast paced game. The stylus allows you to look fast and accurately at the same time. The cpp wont work with a game like this because of how fast paced it is.

SmithnCo

This is why I said before that the worst thing about the controls are its default setup. If the game made its default more palatable and ergonomic, a lot of people wouldn't even factor in the controls as being the games blight.

Yeah, I actually am liking the default controls.

Better than cpp, people think they want it but it simply would not even be close to as accurate as the stylus.

FLAguy954

I don't know what these control arguments are even defending or attacking anymore.

The camera snap in this game is okay for the ABXY movement + Circle Pad aiming scheme, but cranking up the sensitivity lets you spin the camera nearly as fast (possibly even faster?) without also making you have to readjust Pit's direction. I don't use the 180 camera snap that much at all; and I use 90 degree camera snaps even less often.

A 180 degree sudden run backwards for me is basically a double tap hold on B, camera snap button, and then double tap hold X just as Pit stutters to reorient himself to the new camera angle. That's something you would only do to escape because trying to aim while the camera is doing that will take precedence over the snap, just as it does with the stylus aiming if I'm not mistaken.

I know this is another stylus vs. dual analog war, but there are other people here besides me who prefer playing Uprising without a stylus. I firmly believe each control option has its pros and cons, but they ultimately appear to be more or less equal in terms of effectiveness. Maybe it's because I don't care for the stylus aiming that much that I'm not seeing what all this bitching is about. I find the controls I'm using 99% suited to doing what the game demands, only losing 1% because the flying sections feel a little clunkier with ABXY movement.

Technically, ABXY and dual analog will objectively never be as fast as the touchscreen or mouse set up simply because ABXY and a second stick will always be limited to riding off of the x and y axes for movement in a 3d space. What this means is that a second stick gives you INDIRECT control of a cursor/cross-hair which is why one would feel the need to max out the sensitivity in the first place. It is also the reason why auto-aim and aim-assist exist in the first place. On the other hand, touchscreen/stylus/mouse controls give you DIRECT cursor movement. Like others in this thread have already stated, dual analog is inherently gimped for the nervous and pinpoint nature of this game.

I'm have been playing with twin sticks since they were ushered in the game world during the PSX. I used be a hardcore gears of war 2 and 3 player, at one point in time I was in the top 1000 in annex (gears 2), so I know my way around the second stick pretty fucking well. The first time I got to experiment with touchscreen controls was when I got a dsi as a graduation gift and I played my brothers black ops ds. I was in fucking awe at how fast I was able to do a 180 degree turn. And how making fine adjustments were so direct and unconstricted. Right then and there I was a believer.

Trust me when I say mo matter how high you crank up the sensitivity, a second stick still doesn't compare. If you think it does, it's just a placebo effect from all the years of dual stick conditioning imo.

(Btw I use my thumb on the touchscreen exclusively instead of the stylus. The 3ds' screen is now sensitive enough that I can use this viably, thus eliminating discomfort as I hold the system normally.)

After playing this and Sin and Punishment 2, I'm a little disappointed that this game wasn't made for the Wii. That would also help fix the camera issue on the ground, since you could use the D-pad while walking.

Still love this game anyway, even if it makes me uncomfortable after too long.

I feel this is the perfect platform for a game like this because the touchscreen and even gyro (as seen in Resident Evil Revelations and Uncharted: Golden Abyss) are more accurate that the Wii's IR.

The difference is that the Wiimote makes for a fantastic control scheme where as the 3DS doesn't. You shouldn't emphasize an inferior control scheme just because your handheld lacks features.

See the above sentence. The 3ds has TWO fantastic control schemes to the Wii's (imo inferior) one.

zroid

Banned
I would spend money on this if I knew it was 100% complete everything
http://www.primagames.com/games/kid-icarus-uprising/primaguides/304

That looks pretty great... if only it weren't an "eGuide" ;_;

I feel this is the perfect platform for a game like this because the touchscreen and even gyro (as seen in Resident Evil Revelations and Uncharted: Golden Abyss) are more accurate that the Wii's IR.

Wii Motion Plus gyro, though... that would make me happy.

SmithnCo

I would kill for an artbook/high-quality guide. Too bad Nintendo never really does artbooks.

The guide on this page actually looks great, too bad I'd have to import.

ryushe

Yes. I haven't touched any of the options.

Yeah, I actually am liking the default controls.

Better than cpp, people think they want it but it simply would not even be close to as accurate as the stylus.
Ah okay, cool then. While I personally liked the default controls, I found when tinkering around with the options and making the R button use items, the Y/A select the powers and making B align camera thus fundamentally making the control pad down + B into a 180 degree turn, it has not only made he game more playable since I can now hold the 3DS like when playing any other game (I use my thumb as the stylus), but has made the controls gdlk to me, something I think would be lost in translation with a dual analog setup.

Spike

Finished the first two chapters. All I can say is:

bZudo.jpg

DGRE

Banned
I just had a 2006 point light vs. dark game. I gotta start playing with you guys!

Anyone up for playing right now? PM me your friendcode, or reply.

branny

i don't know if it's possible for me to match my stylus speed using the circle pad. i've certainly tried.
I've tried aiming with the circle pad, but I really can't get a handle on it. For some reason the bounding box turning doesn't do it for me. I don't love the "globe spinning" system, but it certainly seems to work better and more snappily than the circle pad. I don't know, it's just awkward.

I think Sakurai had the right idea with the controls. Definitely weird, and a little uncomfortable, but it works brilliantly.
Technically, ABXY and dual analog will objectively never be as fast as the touchscreen or mouse set up simply because ABXY and a second stick will always be limited to riding off of the x and y axes for movement in a 3d space. What this means is that a second stick gives you INDIRECT control of a cursor/cross-hair which is why one would feel the need to max out the sensitivity in the first place. It is also the reason why auto-aim and aim-assist exist in the first place. On the other hand, touchscreen/stylus/mouse controls give you DIRECT cursor movement. Like others in this thread have already stated, dual analog is inherently gimped for the nervous and pinpoint nature of this game.

I'm have been playing with twin sticks since they were ushered in the game world during the PSX. I used be a hardcore gears of war 2 and 3 player, at one point in time I was in the top 1000 in annex (gears 2), so I know my way around the second stick pretty fucking well. The first time I got to experiment with touchscreen controls was when I got a dsi as a graduation gift and I played my brothers black ops ds. I was in fucking awe at how fast I was able to do a 180 degree turn. And how making fine adjustments were so direct and unconstricted. Right then and there I was a believer.

Trust me when I say mo matter how high you crank up the sensitivity, a second stick still doesn't compare. If you think it does, it's just a placebo effect from all the years of dual stick conditioning imo.
I have said this multiple times already: both schemes have their pros and cons.

It's no doubt easier to track your opponent with stylus aiming (and you can't even do stylus hold dodging with circle pad aiming either since there's no lock-on button--you can only evade when you're being attacked), but the tradeoffs for me (less stress on one hand, easier to quickly access powers, etc.) are worth it.

One example: jumping/jump gliding as a method of approach/attack doesn't even seem viable with the stylus control scheme because of its awkwardness. It's much quicker and more natural for me (maybe because I've played Kingdom Hearts to death) to switch from circle pad to dpad and back very, very quickly instead of using my pinky or some other finger while I'm hovering over the touchscreen with a stylus.

With a higher sensitivity (not all the way, because it moves too fast) on the circle pad, I feel like I have way more control. Whether or not I actually do is irrelevant; I feel like I do. This is a big deal for a lefty who already had to adapt to movement with an unfamiliar hand. Years of conditioning absolutely do not apply to this scheme whatsoever: I am aiming with a hand I never aim with and moving with a hand I never move with.

There's a weird synergy with how dashing works in tandem with flicking the circle pad for minor aiming adjustments. There's a very "digital" preciseness to this scheme that I have grown very attached to.

Wait, what control style do you prefer? Default seems to work best for me (and I'm left handed).

ryushe

Wait, what control style do you prefer? Default seems to work best for me (and I'm left handed).
Default, but I had to make some tweaks to make it perfect.

I liked the vanilla default controls, but noticed I couldn't play the game for over an hour without experiencing some pain in my right hand (which arguably is a long time to be playing an intense handheld game such as this, but... THIS GAME!!), so I made minor tweaks to avoid my hands getting too bad and me ending up in the hosPITal.

Get it? hosPITal?

... It's ok to laugh!

Jintor

One thing I'd like to see is to make it more obvious when I'm locked onto an enemy for the purposes of circle-strafe dashing or melee attacks.

cloudyy

Glorious game, just glorious. I have no problems with the controls and I have the impression some of the complains are exaggerated. Just beaten the first chapter on the 9th intensity on standard settings and without the stupid stand. I don't even have a good weapon, only 3 stars.

Default, but I had to make some tweaks to make it perfect.

I liked the vanilla default controls, but noticed I couldn't play the game for over an hour without experiencing some pain in my right hand (which arguably is a long time to be playing an intense handheld game such as this, but... THIS GAME!!), so I made minor tweaks to avoid my hands getting too bad and me ending up in the hosPITal.

Get it? hosPITal?

... It's ok to laugh!

Don't give them Ideas, but it fits so well

emb

Do we have any idea what the offering does yet, if anything?

The Wii would occasionally twitch out on me, but the tradeoff in comfort and ease of use is very worth it. That's just my preference though, it's one of those 'agree to disagree' kind of things.

Bullza2o

No, I'm French, I ordered it on amazon Japan last week, and it arrived very quickly. (I ordered a bunch of stuff for some friends and myself to compensate the high shipping cost of a single item) I'm sure some good Japanese bookstores must sell it too...
Oh I thought Amazon.jp does not ship overseas.

ryushe

Don't give them Ideas, but it fits so well
It really does, which is why I stole it from the game first. :lol

Is it weird that I don't wanna spoil anything about this game? I don't even mean story stuff either, I'm talking about things like the requirements for the treasure box/achievements and what you get, or if you even get anything from offering your hearts to Palutena, or even the weapons, items, etc. I haven't had this air of mystery with a game since before maybe the internet became a thing... back in the 8/16bit days and I don't want to ruin this feeling I have by knowing too much about the game. It's why I haven't even looked at any of the AR cards yet, or if ever.

Haven't felt this way about a single game since Ghost Trick... and even then, that was a one trick pony (Pun free of charge).

God, this game... this feeling... is it... love?

Neiteio

Is it weird that I don't wanna spoil anything about this game? I don't even mean story stuff either, I'm talking about things like the requirements for the treasure box/achievements and what you get, or if you even get anything from offering your hearts to Palutena, or even the weapons, items, etc. I haven't had this air of mystery with a game since before maybe the internet became a thing... back in the 8/16bit days and I don't want to ruin this feeling I have by knowing too much about the game. It's why I haven't even looked at any of the AR cards yet, or if ever.

Perhaps the biggest mystery is the "Offer hearts to the goddess." Maybe it works like Girl in Noby Noby Boy, meaning it's our collective efforts as a fanbase that will eventually make the goddess come closer. O_O But yeah, probably not!

I think it goes without saying, though, that the reward is a
foursome with Palutena, Phosphora, Amazon Pandora and Medusa
. And by that I mean
four-way dance contest

Those of you who have come to grips with the controls, what do your sensitivity settings look like? And is the ground controls slider closer to slower or faster stopping?

I was thinking the exact things! Sakurai is a master at creating this feeling of mystery...

The game has an atmosphere perhaps much larger than itself ,that engulfs us, makes us enjoy it even more.
It's something I think every game should have.

DGRE

Banned
Added myself to the google doc and started adding everyone else. Please add me! I'd love to play with you guys!

Teknoman

About weapon value:

So the higher the value the stronger the weapon? I chose to organize by strength and its got the highest value items at the top...so i'm guessing thats the main factor to pay attention to along with bonuses?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
About weapon value:

So the higher the value the stronger the weapon? I chose to organize by strength and its got the highest value items at the top...so i'm guessing thats the main factor to pay attention to along with bonuses?

Stars are damage compared to other weapons of that same type, value also counts all those little sweet bonus effects.

So you can have a 280 value weapon that does shit damage but has a bunch of crazy effects

Tuck

And tips for circle strafing..?

I can't circle the enemies and keep my reticule on them at the same time. And to be honest, circling them is tough by itself.

daffy

Banned
But the stylus controls are superior to dual analog sticks in every way except comfort. Are you so mollycoddled that you can't deal with a little discomfort?
Bitch please.

There's nothing wrong with the controls alone, they just don't work on such a small screen. I play videogames for leisure, ANY discomfort is far too much. I can only manage 2 chapters a day at this point. I don't come home to have to arm wrestle with my 3DS. You think I do this for experience points?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Bitch please.

There's nothing wrong with the controls alone, they just don't work on such a small screen. I play videogames for leisure, ANY discomfort is far too much. I can only manage 2 chapters a day at this point. I don't come home to have to arm wrestle with my 3DS. You think I do this for experience points?

I play laying down on my belly in bed with headphones :3

Top Bottom