• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

JEKKI

maaaaan I've been so critical of burgers lately, mostly coz in the past 2 years I've eaten some real life changing ones...

I was in Hollywood n Vine area yesterday and decided to try out Shake Shack. I've eaten there once before, in Las Vegas, had a Shack Stack burger... it was good.

decided to try a Smoke Shack burger yesterday;

PI3SXYhl.jpg

it is absolutely delicious... like, really freakin good. Like it just uses a few simple ingredients but puts them together so perfectly into a new contender for one of the best burgers I've eaten.

some other burgers I've tried in the vicinity:

Stout... it's fine.

Hollywood Burger... average, no better or worse than any corner charbroiled spot.

So my question is... where is LA's (or socal's) best burger?!?!?!?!?!?!

In N Out is always delicious and reliable, and maybe lots of ppl will mention Father's Office? both good choices.

but I said at the beginning I've had the privilege of eating some real amazing ones in the past 2 years:

the cheeseburger at Au Cheval in Chicago (with bacon)

and the burger (with cheese) at Nase Maso in Prague (both the regular and dry age one)

I want to keep looking for burgers as good as these two, and the Smoke Shack is definitely up there.

so is the burgers at Working Class Kitchen in Long Beach http://www.workingclasskitchen.com/ I really need to go back here again soon.

So yah... LA GAF got any legit burger recommendations?

JEKKI

BNSD was the last burger I tried that was damn delicious

https://la.eater.com/2017/3/31/15140658/burgers-never-die-street-food-hollywood-underground

Petit Trois (havent personally tried but my burger expert friend swears by it.. will go soon)

http://www.lamag.com/digestblog/petit-trois-big-mec-decadent-burger-l/
oh wow; OK I really need to try that BNSD now, it sounds awesome! I hope it's accessible via metro tho =P

I've had Petit Trois on my list for some time; hopefully I'll find the opportunity soon to check it out.

However, the burger itself looks real heavy, and that's something I've lately been finding that ruins burgers. Like they're good at first, but by the end you just feel real gross and don't enjoy finishing it.

Another problem with burgers are the ones that overwhelm by putting too much into it. Too many things and you begin to take away from what could have made the meal good. The Colossus BNSD looks like one of those type of burgers, so I'll definitely not get that one and go for the basic single or double instead.

That said, I believe Petit Trois does have a smaller version of their burger on the menu, so maybe that's the one to go for - quick delivery without overstaying its welcome. But regardless I definitely gotta try the actual burger first.

golem

However, the burger itself looks real heavy, and that's something I've lately been finding that ruins burgers. Like they're good at first, but by the end you just feel real gross and don't enjoy finishing it.

Yeah I agree the burger looks a bit.. much, but my friend who tried it says he had the same fears about it being oversaturated with stuff but it works and works really well.

Petit Trois is overrated. Including the big mec. I don't really eat meat anymore but eating that thing was one of the few times I've thought "yeah this is too much you could have done without the foie". That being said trois mec is fire and I can recommend it heavily.

JEKKI

I had a foie gras type of burger the other week at Beer Belly in ktown.

it was good... just good. Yeah, not sure if foie gras is a real good burger topping.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Petit Trois is overrated. Including the big mec. I don't really eat meat anymore but eating that thing was one of the few times I've thought "yeah this is too much you could have done without the foie". That being said trois mec is fire and I can recommend it heavily.

it isn't overrated but it is expensive for the space/ service level.

That said, I think the omelet, onion soup, croquet monsir/madam, escargot, and chicken are all killer good.

I need to go, it's been a while.

JEKKI

Bel Campo
sucks.

their basic burger is just a more expensive version of Working Class Kitchen, except nowhere near as good,

and the dry age is just not worth it at all... so disappointing.

I take it back, they don't suck, it's a good burgers,

(burgers by default are good, so an average one is still good)

but for the price I wouldn't want to go back again.

broz0rs

Best burger I've had was the one I made in my kitchen with the fresh ground beef from Costco. It's all about the crust imho. Follow this recipe, cook it medium rare, and it's the best burger you'll ever have.

Ultra-Smashed Burgers

Anybody here go to the Costco in Los Feliz? I dread going there every time because of the traffic and parking.

Best burger I've had was the one I made in my kitchen with the fresh ground beef from Costco. It's all about the crust imho. Follow this recipe, cook it medium rare, and it's the best burger you'll ever have.

Ultra-Smashed Burgers

Anybody here go to the Costco in Los Feliz? I dread going there every time because of the traffic and parking.

I always go for ground beef with higher fat content. Lean ground beef is pretty meh.

While I have never been to that Costco I have stopped at the best buy when I lived in the 'hood but that was almost 10 years ago and driving wasn't that bad then from my recollection.

JEKKI

Ultra-Smashed Burgers

deeeyamn; yah I needa makemy own one day... I haven't done that since they closed down Fresh and Easy.

I miss Fresh and Easy! it was the best store ever!! I'm still using an old iphone 5 coz upgrading it would mean I would lose the Fresh and Easy app... and I ain't gonna do that!!

but speaking of Costco... apparently their food court makes burgers too! In Lakewood, and they're supposed to be hella good too!!

I'm thinking of going on sunday before heading out to that Yuzo Koshiro red bull concert!!

tbh, I'd rather go to Burgers Never Die, but I emailed them and they never replied to me!!!

it freakin sucks... like I'm a huge ass nerd, but in my 30s too... the last thing I need is another cool kids club that won't let me join in :(

too old for that shit yo.

golem

tbh, I'd rather go to Burgers Never Die, but I emailed them and they never replied to me!!!

Hmm they probably just missed it or something, I don't think its an uber secret or a guest-list or anything. Seems like they arent cooking this Sunday but here's the address for future reference (quote to see).

PG2G

Haven't been blown away by a burger since the days of Rustic Canyon (removed from menu when chef changed). I've been wanting to try the Love & Salt down low burger but haven't made it over there yet. It's off the menu and it sounds like they might only have it for brunch or something.

Top Bottom