• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

Is it worth getting a bootlooped Nexus 5X replaced through LG? Their repair process seems like a hassle and I don't see the point in going through with it only to end up with a phone that could suffer the same fault at any point in time.

If it's covered under warranty, yeah sure. If you have to pay for the repair, it's more complicated. I'd advise you to sell your device once it's repaired, so if the repair is too expensive, I wouldn't do it.

gerg

If it's covered under warranty, yeah sure. If you have to pay for the repair, it's more complicated. I'd advise you to sell your device once it's repaired, so if the repair is too expensive, I wouldn't do it.

Apparently the repair is free under warranty. Would I still get anything for the device? It's got quite a few scratches on the screen, and apparently LG actually fix it (instead of replacing it).

5x has the same bootloop problem as the 6p, i.e., disable a57 cores:

https://www.xda-developers.com/nexus-5x-bootloop-fix-boot-phone/

Qualcomm 810 and 808 are a complete mess

I can't apply the fix as my phone doesn't seem to start at all so as to be able to make the preparatory adjustments (unless I'm not bring patient enough)!

Apparently the repair is free under warranty. Would I still get anything for the device? It's got quite a few scratches on the screen, and apparently LG actually fix it (instead of replacing it).

If the repair is free, I'd do it and then sell it, because eventually it will go back to bootlooping. I'd sell it even for $50

gerg

If the repair is free, I'd do it and then sell it, because eventually it will go back to bootlooping. I'd sell it even for $50

I think I'll keep it to use and keep a constant eye on replacements - the LG rep (unsurprisingly) said they replace the motherboard and thus a second failure is unlikely. (How much I believe that I dont know.) That Essential brand does look stunning, and not ridiculously expensive, though for the time being a Oneplus 5 might still be my best bet. (Essential seems only to be US-based for now.)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
there's more to ux than software

If they are literally just using the stock Android ROM then beyond software testing I'm not sure what a UX designer would be doing unless they are involved at the hardware level.

I haven't really followed this phone enough to know.

Mandelbo

Soooo what's the likelihood that the Xperia XZ1 Compact'll cost less that £500 when it comes out? And that it won't have that cheap looking plastic back like the X Compact does, since this time round it's a small version of the actual flagship? I'd be happy if it had a matte plastic back, but glossy plastic's just awful for fingerprints and it just doesn't *look* as nice to me.

Husker86

Why doesn't my unlocked S8+ get the ability to hide the navigation bar with that new button carrier versions got?

Why do I keep giving Samsung a chance?

Saiyan-Rox

Why doesn't my unlocked S8+ get the ability to hide the navigation bar with that new button carrier versions got?

Why do I keep giving Samsung a chance?

I always heard that unlocked versions of Samsung phones always get the short end of the stick which is just so wrong

Jeffrey

What's the word on the LG Watch Style? Worth it at that price? I've not had a smartwatch before, and am open to trying one with my Pixel XL.
Seems solid, but missing GPS and nfc and heart rate sensor and smallish battery which was why reviews weren't a fan of the $250 price.

$140 seems like the right price.

Jeffrey

Lol so the dude who I sold my pixel to on swappa months ago is complaining it's bootlooping and wants a refund.

That's not how any of this works lol.

reKon

Banned
It's interesting, that definitely seems to run against my personal perception that real life use on the Exynos is better than the Snapdragon I use for testing.

Seriously, holy shit at the findings here. I knew something was off after seeing the speed tests between the the two being comparable. The gap has closed for this year. What's really surprising is that they now match in battery efficient and in in some cases are capable of producing better battery life than the S7 did. Those were very good results and that was only the S8, not S8 Plus. Putting up better results than the iPhone 7 in these tests with a substantially bigger and better quality screen. This is sort of a game changer because it means that I'm may be fine with getting a US version of the device in the event that I can get one for stupid cheap. For now I'm just waiting to see what the Pixel 2 XL and Sony phone offers before making that kind of move.

The conclusion though: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11540/samsung-galaxy-s8-exynos-versus-snapdragon/6

Also, this analysis is the reason why Anandtech needs to not take 4+ months to complete their testing for an important flagship device that isn't an iPhone. Jesus guys.

CronoShot

The US unlocked S8 got another update (July patch).

Seems like Samsung has learned their lesson after completely ignoring the US unlocked S7s.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
$620 is a bit too high for an S8+ Jeffery darling

Especially when carriers are giving away a free one when you purchase one

reKon

Banned
It took a lot longer for the price to go down last year. This year it's much quicker. I should have sold my S7 edge sooner to maximize profit. A couple of weeks ago, they were going for $400 still.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Every single time there's an update to Gboard I go back to using it to see if it's even a viable option to use next to Swiftkey. I don't even last a full day before I go back to Swiftkey. It's still an ok keyboard, but I can type like shit on Swiftkey and it'll still predict the word I'm writing while I'm constantly deleting words on Gboard.

IronRaven

It took a lot longer for the price to go down last year. This year it's much quicker. I should have sold my S7 edge sooner to maximize profit. A couple of weeks ago, they were going for $400 still.

Kind of surprising to be honest. Samsung phones used to hold their value really well.

Kind of surprising to be honest. Samsung phones used to hold their value really well.

No? The only phones which hold any value are iPhones. Samsung phones have been getting deep discounts for years. The S6 I use as a burner game phone was one I got for $1 with a 2-year contract, the same year it was released.

Every single time there's an update to Gboard I go back to using it to see if it's even a viable option to use next to Swiftkey. I don't even last a full day before I go back to Swiftkey. It's still an ok keyboard, but I can type like shit on Swiftkey and it'll still predict the word I'm writing while I'm constantly deleting words on Gboard.
Same here. I'm pretty I'll never be able to leave SwiftKey for good. God knows I've tried...

NeOak

No? The only phones which hold any value are iPhones. Samsung phones have been getting deep discounts for years. The S6 I use as a burner game phone was one I got for $1 with a 2-year contract, the same year it was released.
So after Anandtech's review, which Note Ocho you getting?

Jeffrey

just get the samsung without the bloatware.

So current mood:

op5 still solid. dont notice any jelly stuff still. no issue with the camera for my uses. dash charge still blows all shit away. All phones need 8gb of ram. or at least 6.

interested:
- sharp future phone
- mi mix 2

interested to buy:
- pixel xl 2

losing interest:
- essential
- iphone 8

So after Anandtech's review, which Note Ocho you getting?

Anandtech's review goes against every actual user experience review of the S8 and synthetic benchmarks hardly mean shit on Android except when looking at GPU performance. By their own admission, they only actually USED the phones for like 2 seconds and spent the rest of the time running the benchmarks.

edit:

I know that how fast an app launches is the Gold Standard for how GAF measures phones and why they worship at the altar of Nexus/Pixel, so here's a test of how fast you can open apps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fugGkEIpVk

That's a big reason why I'm considering going with an iPhone this year if I do decide to upgrade to a new phone. A new flagship phone is quite a bit of money, and it sucks to only get a couple hundred back after a year or two of use.

If I don't go with an iPhone I doubt I'll get a newly released android, instead wait for a good deal on an S8/Note 8 next year, or go even cheaper and just take the hit on losing my tmobile wifi calling and get a Moto Z Play for the battery life.

reKon

Banned
Anandtech's review goes against every actual user experience review of the S8 and synthetic benchmarks hardly mean shit on Android except when looking at GPU performance. By their own admission, they only actually USED the phones for like 2 seconds and spent the rest of the time running the benchmarks.

edit:

I know that how fast an app launches is the Gold Standard for how GAF measures phones and why they worship at the altar of Nexus/Pixel, so here's a test of how fast you can open apps:

No they had said that they used the Snapdragon version for a much longer period and had limited use on the Exynos version.

Also, in past benchmarks the Exynos version completely outclassed the Snapdragon version in every regard, so it seems like the closer match on benchmarks has translated into closer peformance in real life use. When I played around with an S8 at one of the carrier stores, I noticed it as not only smooth, but it matched my S7 Edge in overall speed (mean less delays on app launches. By contrast, the regular S7 I owned before was noticeably a step behind my S7 Edge in speed...

NeOak

edit:

That ain't CPU. That's the NAND. That looks like crappy UFS 2.0 NAND on the 835 vs 2.1 on the Exynos.

But then again, hipster guy reviewers.

The other good thing about being on the International branch of THE OCHO will be that Exynos versions of Samsungs are generally rooted fairly quickly and with minimal fuss and Samsung is fine with it. The Qualcomm versions are locked down harder than the nuclear launch codes and other than extremely remote chance lucky occurrences, they are generally unrootable.

Also the International version devices always receive updates first. The recent discovery of two critical security flaws in Broadcom WiFi chips which are fixed in the April and July security patches for Android highlights just how important speedy updates are these days, barring overpaying for Pixel devices this is as good as it gets for the majority of Android device owners.

Top Bottom