• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S3 |OT| Gus Who's Back - Mondays 10/9c on AMC

- Rolling Stone: The Last Word: Bob Odenkirk on Catholic Guilt, the Replacements and Late-Breaking Fame

- Vox podcast: Better Call Saul’s Rhea Seehorn on why Hollywood shouldn’t doubt comedy stars can do drama
When she joined the cast of Better Call Saul — AMC’s slyly funny, darkly tragic Breaking Bad prequel about the life of unscrupulous lawyer Saul Goodman before his path intersected with Walter White’s — Rhea Seehorn was probably best known for her work in sitcoms, particularly NBC’s Whitney, on which she starred from 2011 to 2013.

Seehorn herself wasn’t sure she’d get the part of Kim Wexler, a lawyer on an upward trajectory who has a deep friendship and romantic history with the series’ protagonist. For one thing, Better Call Saul was one of the most heavily hyped new shows in development when it was being cast in 2014. (It debuted in 2015, and its third season premieres on AMC on Monday, April 10.) The female lead in a Breaking Bad spinoff? That was going to go to a big name, right?

“I just thought, well, they can get absolutely anyone they want to, so I guess it won’t be me,” she recalls with a laugh on the latest episode of my podcast, I Think You’re Interesting.

____

Hey folks, before we get even more off track, let's knock off the Skyler White debate. It inevitably will result in a derail, hot tempers, and name calling. Please keep the focus on the upcoming season of BCS. Thanks.

LOL there it is. Sorry!

RangerX

Banned
I genuinely believe that Bob Odenkirk is the best actor on TV since BCS aired. Saying that the whole cast is great, Kim especially.

TheOddOne

- Variety: ‘Better Call Saul’s’ ‘Breaking’ Point: How It’s Gearing Up for Gus Fring.
Gould took on the mantle of sole showrunner this season, after Gilligan stepped back mid-run to focus on his HBO limited series about cult leader Jim Jones. But the season still bears Gilligan’s handiwork; he co-wrote the first episode with Gould, and he directed the first two hours.

“Obviously he’s still very much part of the show, but it’s a different experience after having worked together side-by-side for 10 years,” says Gould.

Though this transition was planned since the show’s debut, Gilligan admits he misses being part of the day-to-day. “Stepping away has been kind of tough on me,” he says. “The plan is for me to come back as soon as I’m done [with the HBO series], at least for the final season.”

No one is yet setting a date for that final season; the show is an important one for both the studio and the network. And talks have yet to be settled even for a fourth-season renewal (season three’s greenlight came halfway through season two). “But with every step, every episode, every actor, we move toward an end game,” Gilligan says.

- Sepinwall's review
We can like Jimmy McGill as much as we want, but we knew going in who and what he was going to become, and no amount of charm can change that. This isn’t a story taking place in a parallel timeline to Breaking Bad, but one traveling down the same terrible track. And, like Saul Goodman’s most important client once said, nothing stops this train. All we can do is travel along it with these superb actors and the gifted writers, directors, and editors who keep the train moving, trusting that we’ll be wildly entertained even as it takes us someplace we keep hoping it won’t.

darklin0

Banned
Just got done with Season 2 on Netflix. I did not realize Season 3 is airing so soon!

I am eagerly waiting for this upcoming Monday.

Gould worked on all five seasons of BB and is the co-showrunner of BCS. Gilligan was less involved this season than previously, but I'm pretty comfortable with the full team that they have these days including Gould. A lot of the production staff are carryovers from BB plus they have two seasons of BCS under their belts. They know what they're doing. We'll see how it goes, but I'm confident it'll be business as usual.

TheOddOne

Gould worked on all five seasons of BB and is the co-showrunner of BCS. Gilligan was less involved this season than previously, but I'm pretty comfortable with the full team that they have these days including Gould. A lot of the production staff are carryovers from BB plus they have two seasons of BCS under their belts. They know what they're doing. We'll see how it goes, but I'm confident it'll be business as usual.
Pretty much.

- San Antonio Express-News review
It’s the immensely satisfying slow-burn of a ride there, however — and creator Vince Gilligan’s surprises, suspense, heartache and glints of humor along the way — that keep us salivating for more. Those things, coupled with Odenkirk’s moving, silly and altogether sensational performance, make “Better Call Saul” one of the brightest spots television has to offer. Odenkirk, in fact, has never been better than he is in season three.

Re-watching Season 2 and I really hope Chuck kicks the bucket this season. I know that makes me an asshole but screw that man.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
That podcast with Rhea is fantastic if you want a little insight into how they craft the show and how they communicate with the actors. Also she's amazing.

Gilligan stepping back as showrunner this season makes me really nervous.

Does Gould have a solid reputation?
He's the guy who creates Saul's character and has been the co-showrunner for all of the show thus far, hopefully people will actually give him credit now instead of endlessly saying "praise Vince".

TheSun

Man, I never knew so many gaffers were out for Chuck's blood. Guy's scummy but sheesh.

Also I ain't worried about Vince's absence, and hopefully more peeps give Gould more credit for his work.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Do the episodes go up on Netflix as they air?

In America? No. I believe that Netflix has a deal for it in other regions though. If you got Season 1 and 2 as they aired, you'll get the same release schedule

- Cast Of "Better Call Saul" Speak On Season 3
The new season of "Better Call Saul" continues to follow the twists and turns of Jimmy McGill on his devolution toward "Breaking Bad’s" Saul Goodman. As the season progresses, new characters are introduced and backstories are further illuminated with meaningful nods to the Breaking Bad universe. Join Jonathan Banks, Michael Mando, Rhea Seehorn, Giancarlo Esposito and Patrick Fabian when they drop by to tell us what we can expect from season three of the hit show. Interview at 692 Broadway in NYC for BUILD Series.

- THR Review
The larger point is that, with all this character growth continuing, the already superb Better Call Saul is in a position to take its biggest creative leap yet. It's not a surprise that we will eventually get to Jimmy McGill becoming Saul Goodman, but it's certainly surprising just how heartbreaking that transformation has become.

TB14

Yeah, expected nothing less from the reviews. One more great season and I might be able to confidently say BCS>BB. As it stands, I keep going back and forth. Both obviously fantastic shows in their own right.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
No, but it's a forgone conclusion given the ratings and quality of the show.

Yeah. Even Halt & Catch Fire made it to 4 seasons and that doesn't have the viewers, the Netflix deal, or the same level of critical acclaim.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Halt & Catch Fires multiple seasons run makes me believe in a higher power

It transcends viewership, and the critical acclaim that is hinged on viewership

Bandit1

Turn got 4 seasons too and the ratings were pretty low. I kind of expect Better Call Saul to be 5 seasons like Breaking Bad, but who knows? Also I think this may be the season we find out why Jimmy changes his name. Just a hunch.

Top Bottom