• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[golem.de with Shawn Layden] Sony bets on real PS 5 instead of console revolution

Floody

I think the pro will be the last half step we'll see from Sony.

I actually thik it'll be a standard thing from them now on. As it seems to have met expectations, without slowing the standard version down much, if at all.
I don't think they'll ever really make a big deal out of them like MS did though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I like the phone model, bummer.

Curious if it's BC and how easy it will be to scale games between platforms and such.

I think you'll still get it, but the game boxes will look different. Publishers will still consider it an incremental update - PS5/XB2 will just slot in higher up the chain in their PC based development process, and over a couple of years the baseline will slowly rise. PS4/XB1 will still get versions for as long as they have active userbases.

Should be interesting to see what the competition does, meaning MS with that of course. They seem to be very clear on that generations are a thing of the past. But obviously even for them there will come a time that games just can't run on Xbox One anymore and only on X or not even X anymore.

Maybe Sony wants to be left behind again on their own island like with their online service?

Because nobody else is going to stick to the traditional generational model. Something tells me statements like these and Cerny's are poppycock made to sell hardcore gamers more boxes.

Mrklaw above me gets it. So do MS and Nintendo.

hitgirl

This is ridiculous. We are going to see a new console rev every 1~2 years now until consoles catch up with TV technology. This type of shit is going to shrink the game market and push even more people to just gaming on their cell phones.

Just upgrading the CPU to something much faster than Jaguar will be the biggest leap for next gen, even if the GPU was a much smaller step up.

If they can get an 8 core Zen 2 (7mn) with a decent clock speed, it would be much better for developers, wanting to do things like 60fps and better AI ect.

8 Core Zen 2 @ 3.2GHz + 16GB RAM + 10 Tflop GPU.

By 2019 / 2020 this spec should be able to be released at a reasonable price (providing Zen 2 isn't delayed) would be a decent step up from this gen and should easily do VR and 4k / 30fps / 60fps, depending on the developers choice.

Curufinwe

This is ridiculous. We are going to see a new console rev every 1~2 years now until consoles catch up with TV technology. This type of shit is going to shrink the game market and push even more people to just gaming on their cell phones.

No we're not.

Shin

Banned
Makes you wonder if Sony will get a better deal than Microsoft from AMD, considering that they'll sell 100m+ PS4's, they got a nice record in terms of selling 100m's.
The same could happen again especially since it's them, those things might be of consideration when striking deals on top of AMD wanting to win the contract.

kennyamr

6-year cycles for Sony with a Pro version in between. Not bad. Expect the PS5 reveal on Feb 2019 and release during the holidays.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Should be interesting to see what the competition does, meaning MS with that of course. They seem to be very clear on that generations are a thing of the past. But obviously even for them there will come a time that games just can't run on Xbox One anymore and only on X or not even X anymore.
Not really..

Phils interview from a couple months ago..

Phil Spencer said:
In terms of where the console space goes, there's some things about how the console business runs, in terms of you don't make any money on the hardware, it's making money on the games, making money on the service. So if you're in a situation where you're subsidizing the hardware, a faster refresh of the hardware really hurts you. Because obviously, any subsidy of the hardware is kind of played out over, somebody is going to buy games, they're going to subscribe to Live, they might go subscribe to Game Pass and other things. And that's how you kind of run a business around the console space.

So I don't think you'll see console move. Unless the prices of the consoles themselves change to where they're not a subsidized piece of hardware but rather something that's profitable, like other consumer electronic devices, I don't think you're going to see a constant iteration in the console space.

Cereality

Banned
PS5 games will not be playable on PS4 or PS4 Pro, but PS4 games will be payable on PS5 (I mean, PS5 NEEDS to be backward compatible, I CAN'T imagine Sony did all those remasters if they're not staying with us forever, it would be beyond stupid).

Leyasu

Banned
What do people expect the power jump to be?

Because of the upgrade models, im thinking between 8-10tf max

Shin

Banned
You already have a solid line up for it's release...
RDR2:DE, GTAVI/DE, TLoU2, DS and the likes in glorious 4k...

What do people expect the power jump to be?

Because of the upgrade models, im thinking between 8-10tf max

8-10tf and a move to ryzen. That's my guess for the PS5.

If Navi is anything like Vega (i.e. designed for higher clockspeeds), they could go less wide on the APU design to keep within a similar silicon budget as PS4 and push up the clocks.

I could easily see a 10-13 TFLOPS GPU in PS5 on a mature 7nm process in 2019. If they choose to launch in 2020 it could be as high as 13-15TFLOPS imho.

The big thing is going to be if they call it a new gen, but it's not. As in: will games still work on the pro? If Microsoft launch a new one at the same time where games work on the XBX at lower res or whatever, that'll be enticing for lots of people.

Leyasu

Banned
If Navi is anything like Vega (i.e. designed for higher clockspeeds), they could go less wide on the APU design to keep within a similar silicon budget as PS4 and push up the clocks.

I could easily see a 10-13 TFLOPS GPU in PS5 on a mature 7nm process in 2019. If they choose to launch in 2020 it could be as high as 13-15TFLOPS imho.

How much is that going to cost?

Nice. I'm fine with a small jump with the Pro, then a bigger jump with the PS5, small jump with the PS5 Pro, bigger jump with the PS6 etc.

The OG PS4 is still fine for me. The jump to the PS5 is going to be fun.

Shin

Banned

https://twitter.com/BitsAndChipsEng/status/877972194755837952
Navi is probably AMD's Mega-APU ---> Overclockers3D

And if you're feeling like it you can probably crunch numbers out of this:

21d719a3af.jpg

Admodieus

I don't know if we will see the same type of half-step next gen unless it focuses on the framerate, which we know doesn't market as well to consumers. It worked this time around because we're in the middle of a 4K transition. Assuming the PS5 can do native 4K easily, what impetus is there for people to buy a mid-cycle upgrade again?

Didn't MS themselves said that there won't be new gens anymore from them, only revisions, it next Xbox will be a new gen than wht did they mean exactly?

Go back and listen to how they defined what generation meant to them

Fresh reset of libraries/accessories/etc every new hardware release is how they see generations. So what they mean by generationless is that all future Xbox will support OLDER GAMES/ACCESSORIES and digital/physical libraries from previous gen will be playable-carry forward to future Xbox devices.

But don't expect Xbox One to be able to play Halo 7/Gears 6/Forza X/games made for a an Xbox product that was chosen to be the cut-off point for new games.

The God

MS did not promise forward compatibility, only backward

Why was Scorpio an "Xbox One" instead of an "Xbox *new name*"?

The reason is simple.

The next Xbox after Scorpio will be a new name, and will be the cut-off point for forward compatibility. It will still play Xbox One games, but Xbox One and One X cannot play the games made for that system.

How do we know the next Xbox won't be a "One"?

I think Microsoft's plan was to release a new One console in a few years, cut off the OG XBO and have the One X become the new base.

Were forward and backward compatibility not the main ideas behind their "nbeyond generations" message?

lol no.

That's like an upgraded PS4 Pro...PS5 is gonna be at minimum 14TF, otherwise don't even bother.
I agree, but to hit that at a reasonable cost I think we're waiting until 2020 minimum. This talk about ps5 in 2018 is a pipe dream unless people want an underpowered console.

How do we know the next Xbox won't be a "One"?

I think Microsoft's plan was to release a new One console in a few years, cut off the OG XBO and have the One X become the new base.

Were forward and backward compatibility not the main ideas behind their "nbeyond generations" message?

Obviously, I have no proof. Just guesses.

We can revisit this in a few years time, whether I'm right or I'm wrong.

Backward-compatibility was the main idea. They did not promise forward-compatibility.

Forward-compatibility is only within the family of products (Xbox One can play all games for Xbox One X because they're part of the One family.)

ianpm31

Sony made sure you know the difference between a new-gen and a mid-gen. With Pro reveal they didn't make a big deal out of it basically no hype from them and definitely very little marketing dollars going towards pro to make sure you know it's STILL a ps4. With ps5 we will see the night and day difference with how they talk about ps5 and reveal it because they want you to know it's a new gen...

https://twitter.com/BitsAndChipsEng/status/877972194755837952
Navi is probably AMD's Mega-APU ---> Overclockers3D

And if you're feeling like it you can probably crunch numbers out of this:

21d719a3af.jpg

I dunno... I think this Exascale GPU concept is much further out and also will likely be targeted at server segments.

It's even stated in the paper that one of the goals of the design is to overcome the issues with increasingly larger die sizes.

Larger die sizes don't really benefit consoles. Equally, the "multi-APU connected by interposer" design seems much better suited to server type workloads than consoles. In a games context I would imagine a traditional APU design would of the same die-size would end up being more efficient that this on console workloads, as the execution units need less syncing with data having to be continually moved "off-APU" between each "micro-APU" on the chip.

I think Navi will be a new architecture and a game-changer (I suspect it'll be designed around the 1+TB/s bandwidth that HBM3 can provide - as opposed to Polaris and Vega which are designed to conserve memory bandwidth at all costs), but I don't think that this exascale processor is it.

Sulik2

Generations make too much sense for the way consumers use consoles and games are made to go away. This gen needed the midgen refreshes because both consoles were underpowered and 7nm wasn't ready for 2018 to do a five year cycle.

MisterR

With digital growing and more people fearing that it won't be, no.

Esp when you have MS coming out a year or so ago and saying it will be.

More people aren't fearing buying digital on PS4. Sales are increasing every year. Solid concern trolling though. They aren't going to give details on a console 3 years out.

Top Bottom