• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
some cool new Destiny spoilers today.

FnZOdGO.png

UDVEjU2.png

LPozBk9.png

Mzi2rfi.png

Robinson Crusoe is back in stock...I still haven't gotten Gloomhaven to the table due to crazy work stuff. I am trying to justify the purchase of Robonsin Crusoe to myself right now in the airport. Compared to Mage Knight, how is he complexity of the game?
Robinson Crusoe is definitely easier to play. I think the only confusing thing about Crusoe is timing on some of the action while Mage Knight has lot of cards and lots of rules. The combat section alone in Mage Knight is several pages.

chifanpoe

It's so hard to know what to buy. I'm pretty set on picking up Caverna and waiting for a reprint of A Feast For Odin. I know I will love both. I can buy Caverna today, but I could also grab the Arkham Horror LCG and Concordia. Caverna is pretty much the cost of 2 smaller games here. Arrg.

Personally I like A Feast For Odin over Caverna but I am also in the camp that likes Agricola way more than Caverna. Agricola vs Odin though... hmmm tough call I would have to play Odin a few more times.

You are right though for the cost of either you could pick up 2 other amazing games. It comes down to what can you bring to the table more at that point.

Gurrry

I think I want to play Palpatine. The new cards for destiny that were shown off are pretttty sick. That heal 5 damage card is nasty.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Carbon-freezing chamber sounds like it'd result it all sorts of weird busted games.

It does stall the game a bit, but by midgame for most decks your upgrades have taken over anyway so it's not a huge loss. Definitely does ding the really heavy hitters though.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Which did you play first?

speakeasy, which i think was actually the right choice difficulty-wise.
Actually considering now whether we should stick with this crew or give it another go, but with 4p this time (we were playing 3p with one extra person as DM so far in Dunwich).

Personally I like A Feast For Odin over Caverna but I am also in the camp that likes Agricola way more than Caverna. Agricola vs Odin though... hmmm tough call I would have to play Odin a few more times.

You are right though for the cost of either you could pick up 2 other amazing games. It comes down to what can you bring to the table more at that point.

Yeah, with my main group it is hard to even get stuff like Scythe onto the table. They mainly prefer miniature heavy stuff like Imperial Assault, Descent etc.

Ended up just grabbing Arkham Horror core + Dunwich expansions. Have Feast for Odin reprint pre-ordered so I may end up skipping Caverna.

EYEL1NER

I just got back from a fantastic game night. I'm so glad that I finally have something regular going with a group who enjoys gaming as much as I do. The game nights at the local store were bumming me out for a while with people flaking out or only wanting to play Munchkin, but I'm glad I've moved into something better.

I didn't take Robinson Crusoe tonight because I was not quiet ready for it. I watched the Watch It Played video twice and read a ton but I didn't put enough time into it and didn't get to play an introductory solo game first. Not a big problem though because a couple at the game night said they know how to play it and to bring it in and we'll get it going. So that works out nicely. Five people showed up for the game night, which was a nice turnout. And the guy who will be hosting every week moved from the hotel into his house and it is plenty spacious. His handmade game table is simply great.

We started off with Power Grid Deluxe Edition. I've owned vanilla Power Grid for three years but have yet to even think about trying it. The Deluxe Edition looks nice though. I didn't grasp what I was supposed to be doing for a while and by the time it 'clicked' for me I was too far behind to ever catch up. I would like to try it again soon though, now that I know what I am supposed to be doing. I won't hold my confusion against it.

Next was Cash n Guns Second Edition. It wound up being a hit. It seemed like everyone liked it, though one person did get eliminated half way through. I don't mind player elimination, if the game isn't super-long, but I sensed that they were rightfully not having any fun after getting killed. People liked it though, mainly for that moment when guns are drawn and pointed, when someone gets a bewildered look on their face after being ganged up on and says "Awww, what?! Come on, guys!" So I'm glad I brought that one.

After that was Resistance: Avalon. I've owned both Resistance games for three years and have never had enough people to play it. I've also been a bit wary over whether I can bluff or how well I can lie. I am super-glad I finally got to try it out, because it was a blast. We played four games of it; it was just the five of us for the first two, and then the host's wife joined for the other three. I was loyal to Arthur all four games though, so I didn't have to put my bluffing skills to the test. I cannot wait to play more Avalon in the future.

Two people left and there were three of us remaining, so I opened up Castles of Mad King Ludwig. One guy had been wanting to try it, after playing the app version a bunch. He helped me explain it to the host and we got under way. I understood how the Master Builder is supposed to operate, with the arranging of rooms for maximum profit, but it was late and I wasn't paying the best attention. The guy who played the app set off a good chain where he completed multiple food rooms and was taking multiple bonus turns. He bought something like four rooms, which netted the Master Builder (not me at the time) a lot of Marks. That a Master Builder, the night's host, was the victor. He got really lucky with his bonus card draws, while I pulled some bad ones. I liked the game though, but think I would maybe prefer the app because of the set-up and tear down time. The guy who plays the app a bunch said he preferred playing it tonight on the table because of the tactile feel of physical pieces. So who knows?

Overall tonight was a great night. I'm already counting down the days until next Wednesday night. I'll be bringing Robinson Crusoe and maybe Cash n Guns again, another person is bringing Red Dragon Inn, the host suggested Xia and Zombicide, and a guy who couldn't make it will probably bring some good stuff too. Should be a good one.

EYEL1NER

Eyeliner, I am so glad you finally find a great gaming group.
Thanks. It feels pretty good. It seems like a group with diverse interests too, which is nice; the host likes super-long Ameritrash games and hybrids, the couple likes Euros and co-ops, one guy is a Steve Jackson fan due to being a rep for them and also likes RPGs and narrative-heavy games, another is down for anything but has played a lot of social deduction and party games. My interests span the board and I've bought a ton of games from all genres, so I'll get a chance to play pretty much anything.

EDIT: In addition to my new regular night game night that I am abandoning the local store's Tuesday "Game Night" for, the town's X-Wing group now has a Saturday X-Wing day at the local store. So after a number of months where the local group stopped playing and I had difficulties getting games scheduled at people's houses and was only getting to play once a month at OP Events, I am now playing every Saturday. So that is great too. I mean, I'm off to a pretty decent start for this year. In the last 30 days I've logged 18 plays of 10 different games (slightly more than that actually but some were games I don't ever plan to play again or own, so I won't be logging them in BGG). That isn't a huge amount but it is a drastic increase from last year.

ultron87

We were going to play Twilight Imperium this weekend, but someone had to drop out at the last minute. This brought us down to five players which isn't the best number for that game. Instead we're going to take that ten hours and play a bunch of the long games we never get to play otherwise. The big ones on the slate that I'm really excited to play that I've never gotten to are Millennium Blades and Food Chain Magnate.

Opening up and separating out all the cards in Millennium Blades into individual bags per set really scratched that putting everything in its place itch.

EYEL1NER

We were going to play Twilight Imperium this weekend, but someone had to drop out at the last minute. This brought us down to five players which isn't the best number for that game. Instead we're going to take that ten hours and play a bunch of the long games we never get to play otherwise. The big ones on the slate that I'm really excited to play that I've never gotten to are Millennium Blades and Food Chain Magnate.

Opening up and separating out all the cards in Millennium Blades into individual bags per set really scratched that putting everything in its place itch.
I hope Millenium Blades goes over well. Now that I have a group, one that likes or will at least try lengthy and complex games, I need to sort my copy. Set Rotation and the three new promo packs will be arriving really soon too. I may be able to get this onto the table in a couple weeks myself though.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

Both of these games are amazing. Do know that FCM is BRUTAL and someone can play them self oit of a game very easy and very early. Depression will set in for leaders as well. As soon as soneone undercuts you and takes all of your business for a round you will probably feel worse than the guy who has been innlast place all game.

FCM is so good it made me order some other Splotter games. Indonesia actually comes in today for me.

chifanpoe

I hope your Millennium Blade session goes well. I have played it once in my group. Pretty fun game but teardown was a bitch.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Overall tonight was a great night. I'm already counting down the days until next Wednesday night. I'll be bringing Robinson Crusoe and maybe Cash n Guns again, another person is bringing Red Dragon Inn, the host suggested Xia and Zombicide, and a guy who couldn't make it will probably bring some good stuff too. Should be a good one.

While I'm glad you had fun, I'll likely not available to join in next time, sorry. I don't even own Zombicide! ;)

Played a game of vanilla Eldritch Horror with 2 of my best friends tonight. I wasn't sure how they would react to the game, but it went so well. I only failed one fucking test the entire game and nobody else got tooooo badly fucked up and they said they want to play it again and check out the expansions. I am happy about that since it makes for a fun (and funny/painful) evening.

EYEL1NER

One of the things I'm looking to possibly order soon is Super Motherload. I've seen comparisons made between it and Clank! and I'm waiting for a reprint of Clank! so Super Motherload may tide me over.

sneaky77

I looked in bgg but couldn't find, is there a good cheat sheet for turn order actions for Arkham LCG so I can make copies and pass them on when I try to teach it to a couple of friends?

XShagrath

I looked in bgg but couldn't find, is there a good cheat sheet for turn order actions for Arkham LCG so I can make copies and pass them on when I try to teach it to a couple of friends?
There are two little reference cards in each core set with available actions on one side, and the round sequence on the other. Is that similar to what you're looking for?

Bane

Has anyone ever played a game called Titan? It was a Avalon Hill game from around '82 and was reprinted by another company in '08. A person broughtit over last weekend to try. I found it okay. There were parts of it I liked quite a bit but it takes way too long and there's a lot to need to keep track of.

On an unrelated note, I finally got the Final Fantasy tcg starters. The cards have a really thick paper stock with a great feeling to them.

fenners

Has anyone ever played a game called Titan? It was a Avalon Hill game from around '82 and was reprinted by another company in '08. A person broughtit over last weekend to try. I found it okay. There were parts of it I liked quite a bit but it takes way too long and there's a lot to need to keep track of.

It's very well loved by its old fans, but it's utterly old fashioned in a lot of ways.

One of the things I'm looking to possibly order soon is Super Motherload. I've seen comparisons made between it and Clank! and I'm waiting for a reprint of Clank! so Super Motherload may tide me over.

My local game store has several copy of Clank! but I don't think you want to pay full price + shipping from Washington. I am on board game buying freeze. I realize I have way too many games more than I have time to play if I only play once a week and more miniatures than I will ever finish painting in my life time. I have several games that I preorder and Kickstart last year but I have not kickstart anything since Masmora (which I regret getting and will probably unload it soon). The last few MeetUp I went to we have been playing Scythe, Orlean, Terraforming Mars and Great Western Trail with occasional fillers here and there and we find that it was more enjoyable to actually play the game and not teaching and learning new game constantly.

JesseZao

...snip...

The last few MeetUp I went to we have been playing Scythe, Orlean, Terraforming Mars and Great Western Trail with occasional fillers here and there and we find that it was more enjoyable to actually play the game and not teaching and learning new game constantly.

I'm glad the "here's five new card games I got from Kickstarter; let's learn one!" element of my weekly meetup has died out. That phase was unbearable. Thankfully, we usually have enough people to run three different games now, so there's more choice in general.

I'm going to bring Alchemists to run next week. Still haven't gotten a chance to play it.

Protome

I don't usually complain about using Kickstarter as a preorder system when you're a big enough company you can make the game yourself regardless. Mainly because it's CMON and they tend to add a decent amount of KS exclusive things...

But the latest Munchkin reskin (Shakespeare Munchkin) is on Kickstarter just now and that just seems awful.

I'm glad the "here's five new card games I got from Kickstarter; let's learn one!" element of my weekly meetup has died out. That phase was unbearable. Thankfully, we usually have enough people to run three different games now, so there's more choice in general.

I'm going to bring Alchemists to run next week. Still haven't gotten a chance to play it.

Alchemists is an interesting one. I think it is both too long and too short at the same time.

I recommend letting everyone do an experiment for free as the game starts. This both lets new players get the idea but also makes second round publishing actually visble beyond everyone just calling bullshit

Chris R

My group might play a game of Pandemic Legacy fully according to the rules by the end of the game.

Last night I discovered we've been making things waaaaaay too easy by playing one character a certain way :( We should have four losses in a row by now if we had been following the rules, I wanna know what's in the box

Mr E.

Ordered One Deck Dungeon because people seem to love it.

We'll see...
Played it tonight, it's ok. The rule book could have been a bit more comprehensive though for such a light game. Some ambiguities as seen in the FAQ on the official site.

Still not a patch on "Adventure of D" though for me.

I'm going to retract my earlier thoughts on this game.
It's actually pretty good. Combo(ing) skills and spending dice is a good mechanic.

*edit to add*

I'm going to retract my earlier statement. After a few more plays I'm enjoying this a lot more. I think I pre judged it wrong.

Glad I did.

JesseZao

Alchemists is an interesting one. I think it is both too long and too short at the same time.

I recommend letting everyone do an experiment for free as the game starts. This both lets new players get the idea but also makes second round publishing actually visble beyond everyone just calling bullshit

Thanks for the tip. I'd like to avoid burning the first game to everyone winging it blindly.

Lupercal

Banned
My group might play a game of Pandemic Legacy fully according to the rules by the end of the game.

Last night I discovered we've been making things waaaaaay too easy by playing one character a certain way :( We should have four losses in a row by now if we had been following the rules, I wanna know what's in the box

We opened the box last night :)

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Played 2 splotter games now, both incredibly unique and both incredibly good. Already talked about Food Chain Magnate, and now we have played a few games of Indonesia. Its a hard euro game with math galore that manages to revolve almost completely around player interaction.

Each turn players can pick up companies that either produce a good or ship goods for other players. So right from the start, if you arent shipping you are looking to another player to carry your goods to a city to make money. On top of that, you can research into megers. These allow you to merge any two companies that are the same (two shipping, two oil, two rice etc) into one company. The kicker is after you announce the merger it turns into an all out bidding war for every player in the game. So you can announce a merger of two other players companies and, if you have the capital, can buy them right out underneath them. Good thing is you have a new company, bad thing is you just game some other players a boatload of cash.

Another funny thing is if you produce a good, and it is possible to be shipped, you HAVE to. I merged someones shipping company into mine, taking away his free shipment for his rice. So every time that rice company operated, he made 40 but had to pay me 60 shipping. It was glorious.

Just like Food Chain Magnate, playing the game is very straight forward. Minimal setup time and minimal rules explanation. The game appers to be incredibly deep though. It still gives that feeling of needing to 5 things a turn but you can only do 2. These guys really know how to make a game.

Played 2 games of Rum and Bones with a couple of expansions and 2 games of Inis tonight.

Was hugely fun. I ended up winning both games of Rum and Bones. The game has clicked with me MUCH more than the initial play or two this time. I lost both games of Inis.

The ending of a game of Inis is so stressful. There were clans, citadel and sanctuaries EVERYWHERE. It got sneaky sneaky and was so tense but so much fun. Having Geis and basically ruining game ending moves is so fun. Definitely a game I am always happy to play.

Gurrry

Going to a SW Destiny tournament tonight. Cant decide to go Kylo/Dooku or go with my main deck Rey/Quigon.

Or just play stupid JV like everyone else and ruin the community.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Going to a SW Destiny tournament tonight. Cant decide to go Kylo/Dooku or go with my main deck Rey/Quigon.

Play Jango/Bala/Trooper which imo is better :p. Or Vader which is honestly pretty much as good as any Jango deck.

Edit: Or play some variant of my Han/Rey list. It does quite well against J/V as it was designed originally to counter it. (Not saying 100%, but if you know how to play it easily >50%. You could also add a Dodge in for one of the other removal cards if you're really confident of being vs. J/V. Or hell two Dodges if you're REALLY REALLY confident. I mean...two Dodge + two Deflect + Han dice pouring out resources and damage you will be good. You'll just be screwed against Vader but hey you know your meta best :p.)
http://swdestinydb.com/decklist/view/7376/hanreybalanceevasion-1.0

DTU

Banned

Kylo/Dooku! But I'm partial to Blue Villain. I also love eBala/Jango/Trooper. Really fun, strategic, and effective.

Gurrry

Play Jango/Bala/Trooper which imo is better :p. Or Vader which is honestly pretty much as good as any Jango deck.

Edit: Or play some variant of my Han/Rey list. It does quite well against J/V as it was designed originally to counter it. (Not saying 100%, but if you know how to play it easily >50%. You could also add a Dodge in for one of the other removal cards if you're really confident of being vs. J/V. Or hell two Dodges if you're REALLY REALLY confident. I mean...two Dodge + two Deflect + Han dice pouring out resources and damage you will be good. You'll just be screwed against Vader but hey you know your meta best :p.)
http://swdestinydb.com/decklist/view/7376/hanreybalanceevasion-1.0

Problem is i dont actually have another jango. I was thinking about buying 2 veers and nightsister and 2 balatiks when I get there. Maybe make a quick bala, veers, nightsister deck. Its done me decent on TTS. But I still am missing a few cards to make the deck as strong as I could

Lupercal

Banned
Found Santorini for cheap and ordered it, last copy as well. Super excited!

Those Destiny cards look awesome too but all the players in my area already quit, it's just me and my co-worker now.

And he's a Jango/Veers player :(

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Problem is i dont actually have another jango. I was thinking about buying 2 veers and nightsister and 2 balatiks when I get there. Maybe make a quick bala, veers, nightsister deck. Its done me decent on TTS. But I still am missing a few cards to make the deck as strong as I could
Oh yeah haha that's rough. Honestly I come from the LCG world and never really played a CCG so it's kind of funny/novel to me to play people in early rounds of tournaments talking after match about how they're missing X card and I'm like oh dude you really never had a chance. At least the T1 Jango decks are relatively cheap.

Top Bottom