• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

olimpia84

After messing around for a few minutes, I'm somewhat getting the hang of KOF 98 using the joycon buttons. Pro controller is the best option obviously but buttons only on joycons is definitely doable.

Azuardo

Anyone know if there are input codes in KOF 98 that will work in the Switch version? I'm checking the 'cheats' section at GFAQs of KOF 98 on other systems like Dreamcast, and there seem to be codes to input on character select etc to change costumes, or play an 'alternate survival mode.' I'll test on the Switch soon, but just wondered if people already knew for sure what codes were legit for this version, if any.

Edit: Apparently you can play as alt versions of some characters by pressing start when selecting them, but not getting anything on the Switch vers.

Glowsquid

Do these games come from the Neo geo console or arcades? Im assuming arcades based off playing turf masters. What are the console versions like?

The Arcade Archives are based on the arcade (or "MVS") programming. The home console (or "AES") versions are the same game with additional options: for the early games, this was limited to a difficulty selection screen and limited continues, but later games added things like additional modes (training, survival in fighting games), control remapping options and the ability to use codes to play as boss characters in fighting games. There are also games all throughout the Neo Geo's lifespan that have notable gameplay rules differences between AES and MVS mode.

The Neo Geo cartridges hold the programming for both AES and MVS modes(*): you can even install an homebrew bios on either systems and be able to play with MVS rules on a Neo Geo home console and vice-versa, hence why posts in here are asking for the option to change mode.

*there's an handul of very early games that have different programming between AES and MVs cartridges, but little differences worth noting. Magician Lord is the only game in this group to have notable differences between the arcad and home console versions.

Azuardo

The Arcade Archives are based on the arcade (or "MVS") programming. The home console (or "AES") versions are the same game with additional options: for the early games, this was limited to a difficulty selection screen and limited continues, but later games added things like additional modes (training, survival in fighting games), control remapping options and the ability to use codes to play as boss characters in fighting games. There are also games all throughout the Neo Geo's lifespan that have notable gameplay rules differences between AES and MVS mode.

The Neo Geo cartridges hold the programming for both AES and MVS modes(*): you can even install an homebrew bios on either systems and be able to play with MVS rules on a Neo Geo home console and vice-versa, hence why posts in here are asking for the option to change mode.

*there's an handul of very early games that have different programming between AES and MVs cartridges, but little differences worth noting. Magician Lord is the only game in this group to have notable differences between the arcad and home console versions.

Is there a reason they specifically went with porting the arcade versions to Switch (and other consoles) in favour of the console versions, then? I feel like I would have preferred a version of KOF 98 with a survival mode, and especially a practice mode, or whatever other modes/features they had. The arcade version feels very barebones to me. I also find the lack of a proper versus mode where you can pick your stage disappointing too.

Seems like a faithful port of the arcade version, no doubt, but definitely would have preferred a version of the game with modes and features more akin to console fighting games.

Is there a reason they specifically went with porting the arcade versions to Switch (and other consoles) in favour of the console versions, then? I feel like I would have preferred a version of KOF 98 with a survival mode, and especially a practice mode, or whatever other modes/features they had. The arcade version feels very barebones to me. I also find the lack of a proper versus mode where you can pick your stage disappointing too.

Seems like a faithful port of the arcade version, no doubt, but definitely would have preferred a version of the game with modes and features more akin to console fighting games.

Probably ease of porting.

The Xbox port of MS3 had an unlockable campaign where you played as a Rebel soldier attacking
the space ship
. Wouldn't mind seeing that game mode get ported.

Hamster's whole thing the past 2-3 years is emulating arcade games so using MVS makes sense from their perspective. Personally I don't care at all if they call them Arcade Archives and provide a switch to AES, just semantics at that point. Who knows what that actually means behind the scenes legally. The BIOS code is a pretty heavy hitter legally so I wouldn't be surprised if SNK is very specific about it's usage.

Is there a reason they specifically went with porting the arcade versions to Switch (and other consoles) in favour of the console versions, then?

Because these games are a part of Hamster's Arcade Archives collection, which isn't limited to Neo Geo titles. It's a series of arcade releases from a number of publishers.

Bate

Look's like Samurai Showdown IV is up for next week according to the European eShop.

I assume that the other games of that series will get released eventually and I only want to get one. Is there a consensus which one is the best?

Forkball

I too would prefer some sort of ultimate edition of these games with all versions, but one benefit of having only the arcade version is, well, it's cheaper. These are $8, but the ultimate edition of KoF 98 on Steam for example is $15. Some people would prefer to pay more for the extra content. However, for games I know little about, the eight buck entry price is appealing. The best case scenario would to have both versions, the $8 arcade version and the $15 ultimate edition.

Switch is my favourite non-Neo Geo Neo Geo.

Until it has RB2 and Last Blade 2 the Wii VC is still the best IMO outside of real hardware. I think the Wii NG was based on AES too?

Portability goes a long way though so if they can get match the Wii's VC library it'll be incredible.

Azuardo

I too would prefer some sort of ultimate edition of these games with all versions, but one benefit of having only the arcade version is, well, it's cheaper. These are $8, but the ultimate edition of KoF 98 on Steam for example is $15. Some people would prefer to pay more for the extra content. However, for games I know little about, the eight buck entry price is appealing. The best case scenario would to have both versions, the $8 arcade version and the $15 ultimate edition.

I think the Ult edition includes the original arcade version of 98 too? So I would have taken that for sure, but I understand the reason for bringing over a cheaper arcade-only version. Shame, though. I find it difficult to sustain a reason to come back to the arcade version here with lack of modes, and even a proper versus mode with stage select.

deleted

So what happens when the Virtual Console is launched? Do these become VC games?

No, I expect AES support on a different emulator for the VC. Could also be the reason why Hamster doesn't include an AES mode.

SNK has the option to sell content twice here rather easily. Now with the relatively dry launch lineup through Hamster and later with the VC buildup themselves. Can't do that if you allow AES support for 7 Euro too.

Timu

Until it has RB2 and Last Blade 2 the Wii VC is still the best IMO outside of real hardware. I think the Wii NG was based on AES too?

Portability goes a long way though so if they can get match the Wii's VC library it'll be incredible.
All Neo Geo games on Wii VC are AES.

As trivial as it probably is to enable, the AES versions are likely not included simply because these releases are part of Hamster's ongoing "Arcade Archives" series. It may even be in their contract that they can only do MVS versions.

deleted

Uh no way, that would be fucking absurd.

Why? I don't expect them to be handled by Hamster for one and the options menu lacks the 'featureless elegance' of the VC.

The Wii U VC was a mess without 3rd parties. I expect them to be back on board. It's been almost 10 years and they'd be happy to sell their systems and games to a whole new generation that is digitally more advanced than the Wii one.

It's easy money if Nintendo doesn't fuck it up.

Klart

Switch is my favourite non-Neo Geo Neo Geo.

I prefer PS4.

It has a larger selection of the "Arcade Archives" (Samurai Shodown, Fatal Fury, Metal Slug,...), quite a few PS2 games (like Real Bout Fatal Fury, King of Fighters 2000, ADK Damashii, Metal Slug Collection, Samurai Shodown V,...) & mostly several fresh ports of the best Neo Geo titles (THE LAST BLADE 2, Metal Slug 3, GAROU: MARK OF THE WOLVES & soon Windjammers)

Seems way better.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Neo Geo experts, I want to buy one of those games but don't know which one. I've never played a neogeo game before sooooo...anyone can help me out? I'd mostly play alone/with my wife in coop. Something you can get into pretty easy would be good.
Metal slug / metal slug 3 would be my choice without knowing anything about it except the obvious. But which one? 1 or 3?

Piccoro

I prefer PS4.

It has a larger selection of the "Arcade Archives" (Samurai Shodown, Fatal Fury, Metal Slug,...), quite a few PS2 games (like Real Bout Fatal Fury, King of Fighters 2000, ADK Damashii, Metal Slug Collection, Samurai Shodown V,...) & mostly several fresh ports of the best Neo Geo titles (THE LAST BLADE 2, Metal Slug 3, GAROU: MARK OF THE WOLVES & soon Windjammers)

Seems way better.
I agree with all you said plus, as a Neo Geo CD fan, I love that they kept the Arrange soundtracks on the PS2 on PS4 ports. :)

Memory

Neo Geo experts, I want to buy one of those games but don't know which one. I've never played a neogeo game before sooooo...anyone can help me out? I'd mostly play alone/with my wife in coop. Something you can get into pretty easy would be good.
Metal slug / metal slug 3 would be my choice without knowing anything about it except the obvious. But which one? 1 or 3?

I'd say Shock Troopers personally, 3 varied paths, lots of unique and diverse characters and great animation.

Metal Slug 3 is more fun and off the wall than MS1 so if you are going to get one of them go for 3.Metal Slug series is a must play series and will likely be the main answer you get.

As far as fighters go, Waku Waku 7 is the most fun for the casual player while KOF 98 is obviously the jewel in the Crown for the fgc type.

Glowsquid

Peltz

Metal Slug 1 is still sooooo good. Had a blast playing it last night on Switch while laying in bed.

jeremiah_johnson_nodding-Robert-Redford.gif

Metal Slug 1 is the most palatable. Metal Slug 3 will show you just how capable the NEO GEO was once NAZCA/SNK mastered their craft.

Personally, I would start with 1. If you like that, then grab 3 for a more high-octane experience with bigger bosses. Both are must-own games, as is Metal Slug X, but they're definitely best experienced in original release order (if possible... but these are arcade games that are easy to pick up and enjoy for all old school gamers no matter which you start with).

Metal Slug 1 was my introduction to the NEO GEO, and it made me totally fall in love.

Glowsquid

A shmup, finally. Never played it, was tempted a few months ago to get it on the PS4 ACA, how is this?

I think it's pretty damn great and easily the most underrated game on the Neo Geo.

ASO II's big gimmick is that you can collect special modules to attach to your ship or buy them in-between stages. The modules, called "armors", obviously protect your ship from hits but each of the 11 armors have their own properties (durability, special attacks, etc). Some armor are naturally better suited to certain sections and boss battles but there's enough flexibility there's a lot of viable ways to get through each sections. Figuring out the armor spawn patterns, finding your favourite tactics and refining them over the course of multiple playthrough is great fun, and the whole "shop" aspect give ASO II's a long-term planning mechanic that's usually missing from shmups. This is definitely a game that needs to be played with a 1CC mindset to find its true potential.

It's not the most approachable shmup though. The game has ton of different icons to pick-up (not all of them positive) and the attract mode doesn't explain all of them. Some players have expressed incomprehension at what each item does and how the power-up system works, which is a pretty unusual situation for a shmup. Reading a wiki page should clear up things though. And speaking as someone who 1cced it on the default home console difficulty, the game is Kind of Hard, even for its genre. Enemies move quickly and spawn from everyone corner of the screen , and unusually for a shmup, most of them can tank a lot of hits before blowing up. The dynamic difficulty (or "rank") also scale up quickly and massively, at full rank the bosses fill the screen with hard-to-avoid homing shots. The MVS version has a ridiculous strict timer during the shop segments, which makes the buying armor you want kind of a pain.

So yeah, ASO II doesn't make a great first impression but if you stick with it, there's a great and unique game in there.

MDave

"Player One, had a baaaad daaay."

Neo Turf Masters is easy to play, hard to master! It's so addictive, especially in a portable form factor that makes it easy to pick up and play where you left off from.

Glix

"Player One, had a baaaad daaay."

Neo Turf Masters is easy to play, hard to master! It's so addictive, especially in a portable form factor that makes it easy to pick up and play where you left off from.

The putting had been infuriating for me but the game is just so fucking addictive.

Edit - OH SHIT A SHMUP ON THURSDAY AND I CAN PLAY IT IN TATE MODE!?!?!? Im in!

Edit2 - doesnt look like it was a tate game, bummer

antibolo

Banned
The putting had been infuriating for me but the game is just so fucking addictive.

Edit - OH SHIT A SHMUP ON THURSDAY AND I CAN PLAY IT IN TATE MODE!?!?!? Im in!

Edit2 - doesnt look like it was a tate game, bummer

Not counting homebrew, the Neo Geo never got any tate games. It wouldn't make sense considering how the platform is designed around multi-game cabinets.

Top Bottom