• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

Someone make a third party JoyCon with a normal D pad please.

Have you seen the thread about the 8bitdo controllers getting a firmware compatibility for switch? I really like the dpad on the NES30 and I've been trying out the neo geo games with it....really great so far. SO much better than the joycons for 2D games and it's great for QCF/QCB type moves in fighters.

Have you seen the thread about the 8bitdo controllers getting a firmware compatibility for switch? I really like the dpad on the NES30 and I've been trying out the neo geo games with it....really great so far. SO much better than the joycons for 2D games and it's great for QCF/QCB type moves in fighters.

Apparently in the case of the SNES30/SFC30 the D-pad is mapped to the Pro controller's left analog stick. Does that affect input latency?

Fiendcode

Any word on Aero Fighters 2 getting thrown around for potential release?
None yet but Hamster published a few Video System games as part of their Oretachi Gēsen Zoku series back in the day so presumably they know who owns the licenses.

I'm really hoping we get Aero Fighters 2-3 and more 3rd party stuff after the Sunsoft fighters seem to be pretty popular. Technos, Hudson, Taito, Data East, Face and Visco all also had games I'd buy.

Apparently in the case of the SNES30/SFC30 the D-pad is mapped to the Pro controller's left analog stick. Does that affect input latency?

Not sure, I've only got the NES one. It's a game changer for 2D stuff on Switch though, imho.

I mean, it's over Bluetooth so there must be some minor latency? But on the NES30 I haven't noticed anything more than what would already be present in the emulation.

AmyS

Any word on Aero Fighters 2 getting thrown around for potential release?

Speaking of Aero Fighters / Sonic Wings.

EGM #35 - June 1992.

Yo5Su2K.jpg

I loved the intro to the first game! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwf2ha3eN-c

Remember this is the MVS version, so you have to unlock Kyo and Iori with cheat codes.

At the Character selection screen, go to the Random Select, press and hold Start (R bumper) then do:

For Kyo: Left,Right,Up,Left,Down,Right

For Iori: Right.Left,Up,Right,Down,Left

^
Of the Neo Geo era? Probably '98. Which is on the eShop.

Anything from '96 through 2003 is pretty good. 2001 plays alright but is really ugly and the soundtrack is awful. '96 is a transitional game and the controls are a little off compared to '97 onwards.

cireza

99 Evo on DC is actually my favorite KOF.

Might pick up this one on Switch. Going to be a close call with 2000.

When someone picks this up, I would like to know if calling the Assist can be done with a shoulder button.

^
They've been adding hotkey functions to ZL/ZR in recent games like Garou and Galaxy Fight, so maybe BC will be one of those. Then you can do ABC and BCD with 2 button presses.

Tizoc

I did not enjoy in the hunt when inplayed it as part of the IREM arcade collection that's on PC.
Then again i am not a pro in these kinds of games so i guess itll appeal to the more proficient players :x

AmyS

I did not enjoy in the hunt when inplayed it as part of the item arcade collection.
Then again i am not a pro in these kinds of games so i guess itll appeal to the more proficient players :x

I had to google Irem Arcade Collection to see what that was :p

moeman

Are there plans for last blade 2 and other SamSho games to be ported? Loved LB2 back in the day and would love to get back into it.

Memory

Are there plans for last blade 2 and other SamSho games to be ported? Loved LB2 back in the day and would love to get back into it.

Pretty sure LB2 was in one of the highlight reels. I have it on PS4 but I'll double dip for sure.

Some of the other SamSho games are on X1 & PS4 so are likely coming soon also.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Games still missing from that trailer from about a month ago:

- Shock Troopers 2nd Squad
- Last Resort
- Sengoku

Not sure if they have mentioned anything else since.

moeman

Pretty sure LB2 was in one of the highlight reels. I have it on PS4 but I'll double dip for sure.

Some of the other SamSho games are on X1 & PS4 so are likely coming soon also.

Awesome thanks! Definitely going to pick them up once/if they're released. Which SamSho game has held up the best? I played a ton of 2 in a laundromat when I was a kid, but I hear some of the later ones were a bit hit or miss.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Real quick. KoF 98 or Garou? (or even Waku Waku 7)

Actually just which is the best fighting game. I've got a pretty strong itch.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Garou.
To note, Switch is the only modern place to get WW7, unlike the two others.

Is there a reason why Garou? Also, I forgot about SamSho 4. I've got a $20 eShop card so I might get more than one game. I've been hearing some good stuff about turf masters and I'm always down for metal slug.

I guess I should have originally asked what the best currently available Neo Geo games are.

cireza

^
They've been adding hotkey functions to ZL/ZR in recent games like Garou and Galaxy Fight, so maybe BC will be one of those. Then you can do ABC and BCD with 2 button presses.
Great news ! Hamster is listening ! Will wait for feedback, but if that's the case for KOF 99, then I will buy the game.

Eolz

Is there a reason why Garou? Also, I forgot about SamSho 4. I've got a $20 eShop card so I might get more than one game. I've been hearing some good stuff about turf masters and I'm always down for metal slug.

I guess I should have originally asked what the best currently available Neo Geo games are.

Garou is basically SNK's SFIII 3S. Small roster, superb graphics and OST, really polished mechanics, etc.
Waku Waku 7 is really unique, and pretty good! It has a feeling you don't have in other games. KOF 98 is really good, but better to wait on more versions of KOF to be on the eshop imo.

Turf Masters is great if you like the genre yeah.

Interesting.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
do the following games support the split single joycon local multiplayer?

King of fighter
Garou
Metal Slug (various episodes)?

So about that KOF '99.

I enjoy the heck out of it. But it's one of the weirder games in the series. Someone at SNK thought people still liked Extra mode, so they combined it with Advanced mode and gave us '99's red life SDM system and that weird roll dodge. Also, it's probably the last Neo Geo KOF where there's real effort and artistry in the background art.

kof99-stage-alley-animate.gif

kof99-stage-airport-animate.gif

kof99-stage-park3-animate.gif

kof99-stage-krizalid-animate.gif

2000 feels like it was affected by the bankruptcy proceeding, and the backgrounds don't look as nice because of it... I think. 2001 has poor backgrounds, mainly because of the washed out colours, but there's a lot stuff going on in them. 2002 is better but it's still kind of lacking - I can't really explain it. 2003's backgrounds are probably on the level of 2000.

Top Bottom