Site | Price: $24.99 | Platorms: PC, Mac
Steam | Humble | GOG
PS4, PS Vita, iPad versions in development
Darkest Dungeon is a challenging gothic RPG about the stresses of dungeon crawling. You will lead a band of heroes on a perilous side-scrolling descent, dealing with a prodigious number of threats to their bodily health, and worse, a relentless assault on their mental fortitude! Five hundred feet below the earth you will not only fight unimaginable foes, but famine, disease, and the stress of the ever-encroaching dark. Darkest Dungeon focuses on the humanity and psychological vulnerability of the heroes and asks: What emotional toll does a life of adventure take?
Darkest Dungeon is not a game where every hero wins the day with shiny armor and a smile. It is a game about hard trade-offs, nearly certain demise, and heroic acts.
Can you stem the tide of eldritch horrors erupting across your family’s ancestral estate?
Release Trailer | Early Access Trailer | Playstation Teaser | House of Ruin | Terror and Madness
- The Affliction System – battle not only monsters, but stress! Contend with paranoia, masochism, fear, irrationality, and a host of gameplay-meaningful quirks!
- Striking hand-drawn gothic crowquill art style
- Innovative turn-based combat pits you against a host of diabolical monsters
- Narration system to celebrate your successes...and failures
- 14 (and counting!) playable hero classes, including Plague Doctor, Hellion, and even the Leper!
- Camp to heal wounds or deliver inspiring speeches.
- Rest your weary, shell-shocked characters in town at the Tavern or the Abbey to keep their stress in check.
- Classic CRPG and roguelike features, including meaningful permadeath, procedural dungeons, and incredible replay
Game Informer - 9.25/10
Hardcore Gamer - 8/10
Darkest Dungeon is an incredible take on the classic dungeon crawl. The game brings Lovecraftian lore to new heights with cool classes, powerful narration, stylish art, and addictive gameplay that will keep you crawling back to battle slithering monstrosities even as your favorite heroes become corpses.
Darkest Dungeon is difficult, but not because its systems are unclear or unfair. In fact, the richness and complexity of its mechanics are miraculously transparent. What makes Darkest Dungeon challenging is balancing and equipping a party and the essentially unpredictable nature of the dungeons and combat. The art style — hand-drawn and evocative, with just enough effective animation to keep things interesting without adding overwhelm to the already busy nature of the action — is beautiful, and its music and stentorian narration are perfectly in sync with the characters. The whole enterprise is polished and a lot of fun.