• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

kionedrik
Member
(01-20-2016, 09:15 AM)
kionedrik's Avatar
When did they change the reward system for each dungeon from 2 resources to 1? Back in August the Ruins used to reward you with busts and crests which was perfect for improving the church but now it only rewards you with busts forcing me into early expeditions into the cove.

There also seem to be overall less resources drops in the dungeons or I'm getting really unlucky runs.
Szadek
Member
(01-20-2016, 12:05 PM)
Szadek's Avatar
Yeah, the endgame is really fucking tedious.
My last high level healer died, time to start back grinding from the level 0 to level 6.
I still need at least 8 more high level characters anyway before it's even possible for me to finish the game...
Aztechnology
Member
(01-20-2016, 12:27 PM)
Aztechnology's Avatar
Having owned this for a while and enjoying the everliving hell out of it. I have to say this game is begging for a mobile port. It's perfect for a larger phone or tablet.

Edit: Wow I really need to look harder at the OP. I immediately went.

Last edited by Aztechnology; 01-20-2016 at 12:47 PM.
DeadPhoenix
Member
(01-20-2016, 12:44 PM)
DeadPhoenix's Avatar

Originally Posted by kionedrik

When did they change the reward system for each dungeon from 2 resources to 1? Back in August the Ruins used to reward you with busts and crests which was perfect for improving the church but now it only rewards you with busts forcing me into early expeditions into the cove.

There also seem to be overall less resources drops in the dungeons or I'm getting really unlucky runs.

Far as I can tell, they changed it when the cove was added, as they now have one area for each resource. Its unfortunate, but I still think crests drop pretty often anyways, so its not the worst thing ever. As for less resources dropping... no noticeable change I've noticed.
Uthred
Member
(01-20-2016, 01:01 PM)
Uthred's Avatar

Originally Posted by RMI

classes that I don't particularly care for are the Arbalest (like what the hell does this thing even do?) and the Highwayman who starts off really nice but scales pretty poorly I believe.

Arbalest is arguably the best single target damage in the game, up there with Hellion, throw in an Occultist/Hound Master/Bounty Hunter to mark for them and they're pretty good. I think the Highwayman scales fine if you build him for ranged, throw him in around slot 3, seems to work well, especially if you get that ranged orange trinket for him.

I quite like all the classes, while there isnt a ton of different skills most have at least two viable builds and I found that sometimes switching those "builds" around made me like classes I used to think were a bit shite. Grave Digger is probably the only class I dont particularly like, all the other ones have a nice "feel" to them, or little mechanical combos or what have you. The Grave Digger always feels boring to me.

Hellion is probably my favourite class, I like how they look and how they play. Warmed up to the Abomination a lot as well. And who doesnt love the Man At Arms?

Originally Posted by Remachinate

2) Most monster engagements don't require dynamic tactics. While the Cove does offer some variety in how monster parties should be approached, for the most part, stun/DPS is the go-to approach, which leads to battles becoming grindy and repetitive.

Used to use a stun heavy approach but honestly these days I feels its sub-par, apart from needlessly elongating battles the "return" on landing a stun is often much worse than the return on straight up damage/dot's
Last edited by Uthred; 01-20-2016 at 01:04 PM.
Gothos
Member
(01-20-2016, 01:26 PM)
Gothos's Avatar
Anyone can tell me what are those 2 icons under character portait - one is shield the other icon is two crossed swords.
NoblesseOblige
Member
(01-20-2016, 01:32 PM)
NoblesseOblige's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gothos

Anyone can tell me what are those 2 icons under character portait - one is shield the other icon is two crossed swords.

Attack and defense rating of their weapon/armor I believe. My best guess from seeing them in the character exam screen:

Ribeiro
Junior Member
(01-20-2016, 01:44 PM)
Ribeiro's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gothos

Anyone can tell me what are those 2 icons under character portait - one is shield the other icon is two crossed swords.

Its the level of your weapon and armor, you can increase by the blacksmith.
SkyTurnsRed
Member
(01-20-2016, 02:59 PM)
SkyTurnsRed's Avatar
So I'm three runs in - how can I tell if I'm progressing in the story? Is there an end point?
Sarek
Member
(01-20-2016, 03:00 PM)
Sarek's Avatar
First game in years I stayed up playing until 3am, the overall style of the game is just perfect. I do wish you would get significantly more xp from the missions though. Leveling your heroes kinda seems a bit on the grindy side, especially when it is so easy to lose them. XCOM was pretty well balanced in this regard, if I remember correctly going from a rookie to a grizzled veteran seemed to take about 10 missions. Seems like it would take significantly longer in this game.
Gothos
Member
(01-20-2016, 03:00 PM)
Gothos's Avatar
Thx guys :)

Anyway, game is awesome so far. Already got 11h played, killed 2 bossess and still doing mainly short runs. I'm scared of medium ones :P
Zoz
Member
(01-20-2016, 04:01 PM)
Zoz's Avatar

Originally Posted by Draft

I don't know why the game won't run on your computer, but it runs on my Windows 10 machine just fine.

i have read reports of some people running it on windows tablets with Atom Processors, so it's sure not a matter of horsepower. You should contact the devs in their game forums
Kid Ska
I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
(01-20-2016, 04:02 PM)
Kid Ska's Avatar
I played a bit of it when it was in Early Access, but I'm definitely excited to give it another go. It's such a cool game.
DrArchon
Member
(01-20-2016, 04:15 PM)
DrArchon's Avatar
Got back in last night with a new estate/gamefile. Wow, I missed so much. I never got a chance to play with the Arbalest or the Man-at-Arms before, so that was really fun to try them both out. Same with the werewolf guy, but he stressed my dudes out so much that I'm not planning on using any of them too much. Houndmasters seem decent. Bounty Hunters are still my favorite, and thankfully they combo pretty well with a lot of guys. Still haven't gotten an Occultist though.

Actually pretty keen on corpses being in. I'm trying them out and getting used to them so my mind could change, but for now I'm not hating them. Maybe that's because I usually focus on annoying ranged enemies in the rear so often that they never really matter to me. PROT is super interesting, and I love how it makes bleed and blight more useful so I have an excuse to carry a Plague Doctor around more often (which is never a bad thing).

I'm only on week 7 or 8 of my new file, and I'm loving it so far!
SecretOfEvermore
Member
(01-20-2016, 04:21 PM)
SecretOfEvermore's Avatar
will this release on ios?
Professor Lich
Member
(01-20-2016, 04:24 PM)
Professor Lich's Avatar
Slowly, gently...

...this is how a life is taken.

Damn, I love this game so much. Can't wait to start with the true final run when I have the time. Happy to see people enjoying the game!

For people who aren't enjoying it because of things like corpses and RNG, there are settings now where you can remove imbalances. If you like the gameplay, but not the unfairness, I'd said go for a few runs with them turned off.
Screaming Meat
Member
(01-20-2016, 04:48 PM)
Screaming Meat's Avatar
That looks awesome.
mjc
Member
(01-20-2016, 05:03 PM)
mjc's Avatar

Originally Posted by SkyTurnsRed

So I'm three runs in - how can I tell if I'm progressing in the story? Is there an end point?

If you look at the journal after a quest or at the start of every week, there's a checklist of things to complete. Early on in the game the goals are to play up to the point where you can kill certain high profile enemies.
Falk
that puzzling face
(01-20-2016, 07:24 PM)
Falk's Avatar

Originally Posted by Professor Lich

Slowly, gently...

...this is how a life is taken.

DESTROY

THEM

ALL

I don't remember that line. The narration really sets the tone of the game.
LiK
(01-20-2016, 07:25 PM)
LiK's Avatar
totally regret not getting this for $10. will wait for another sale.
EuropeOG
Member
(01-20-2016, 07:35 PM)
EuropeOG's Avatar
GOTY so far
Gothos
Member
(01-20-2016, 08:02 PM)
Gothos's Avatar

Originally Posted by Professor Lich

Slowly, gently...

...this is how a life is taken.

Damn, I love this game so much. Can't wait to start with the true final run when I have the time. Happy to see people enjoying the game!

For people who aren't enjoying it because of things like corpses and RNG, there are settings now where you can remove imbalances. If you like the gameplay, but not the unfairness, I'd said go for a few runs with them turned off.

I got 14 hours already played and corpses seem perfectly fine so far.
Lumination
'enry 'ollins
(01-20-2016, 08:36 PM)
Lumination's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gully State

There's a glossary in game- It's the book icon on the bottom right in your hamlet menu

Yep, I was poring over it last night before I asked my question. Not the best way to read about the more obscure things. I do think I remember your party's stats being explained there though.
HP_Wuvcraft
(01-20-2016, 09:35 PM)
HP_Wuvcraft's Avatar
Just wiped my EA game.

On week ten of Lyttoncroft.

I love how they made the beginning of the game harder to cheese.
popo
Member
(01-20-2016, 09:36 PM)
popo's Avatar
I am glad they didn't go out of their way to stop you save scumming if you want to play that way. I have not needed to yet but I feel just having a backup, that will roll back a few hours, stops me being overly cautious. If I do need to cheat it will be disappointing but the alternative could have ruined the game for me.
HP_Wuvcraft
(01-20-2016, 09:38 PM)
HP_Wuvcraft's Avatar

Originally Posted by popo

I am glad they didn't go out of their way to stop you save scumming if you want to play that way. I have not needed to yet but I feel just having a backup, that will roll back a few hours, stops me being overly cautious. If I do need to cheat it will be disappointing but the alternative could have ruined the game for me.

Wait they have that now?
Nothus
Member
(01-20-2016, 10:39 PM)
Nothus's Avatar
Has anyone who played EA noticed the game not quite running as smoothly post patch?
I had no issues with the EA version but the full release is running a bit janky, stuttering at times.

Anyone else having this? My setup has not changed at all in between releases.
Gothos
Member
(01-20-2016, 10:43 PM)
Gothos's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nothus

Has anyone who played EA noticed the game not quite running as smoothly post patch?
I had no issues with the EA version but the full release is running a bit janky, stuttering at times.

Anyone else having this? My setup has not changed at all in between releases.

Yes, it's a known problem. My game loses 4-5fps but yea, it's still noticeable. Barely, but it is.
TheSadRanger
Member
(01-20-2016, 10:56 PM)
TheSadRanger's Avatar

Originally Posted by mjc

If you look at the journal after a quest or at the start of every week, there's a checklist of things to complete. Early on in the game the goals are to play up to the point where you can kill certain high profile enemies.

Then eventually there's the Darkest Dungeon itself, which requires a team of lvl 6 heroes. I also think you have to kill the third version of each boss before you can unlock it.
ldcommando
Member
(01-20-2016, 11:05 PM)
ldcommando's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nothus

Has anyone who played EA noticed the game not quite running as smoothly post patch?
I had no issues with the EA version but the full release is running a bit janky, stuttering at times.

Anyone else having this? My setup has not changed at all in between releases.

Same. Some stuttering after the patch
DrArchon
Member
(01-20-2016, 11:08 PM)
DrArchon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nothus

Has anyone who played EA noticed the game not quite running as smoothly post patch?
I had no issues with the EA version but the full release is running a bit janky, stuttering at times.

Anyone else having this? My setup has not changed at all in between releases.

I turned off the blur option in the settings and it seemed to help with stuttering a bit. I still get some but not as much.
Nothus
Member
(01-20-2016, 11:14 PM)
Nothus's Avatar
Cheers guys, good to know it's not an issue at my end. Hopefully the devs can get a patch out to sort it.
popo
Member
(01-20-2016, 11:42 PM)
popo's Avatar

Originally Posted by HP_Wuvcraft

Wait they have that now?

Not officially but the save files are easily accessible and labeled so you can manually back them up.

Some devs really don't want you getting to the saves and go out of the way to hide or encrypt them.
Fantastapotamus
Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
(01-21-2016, 12:24 AM)
Fantastapotamus's Avatar
Even after all the time I spent with the game in EA, I still can't remember the damn locations and what's useful where. So Bleed attacks are less effective in the Cove and the Warrens, and more effective in Weald and Ruins, right? Vice versa for Blight Attacks.

Still don't know how to effectively use the Abomination. Not having a Vestal is brutal and making everybody suffer for transforming....I'll probably not use that class.
Last edited by Fantastapotamus; 01-21-2016 at 12:34 AM.
HP_Wuvcraft
(01-21-2016, 12:39 AM)
HP_Wuvcraft's Avatar
Just hit my first wandering Shambler.

Holy shit it wrecked my party.
bigdaddygamebot
(01-21-2016, 12:42 AM)
bigdaddygamebot's Avatar
Absolutely delightful and bloody brilliant game.
Fantastapotamus
Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
(01-21-2016, 12:58 AM)
Fantastapotamus's Avatar
Fuck The Collector. Just fuck this guy. Stop just randomly showing up and killing everybody. I hate you, you stupid....floating head thing!

Out of curiosity: Do you play with or without corpses? Personally, I HATE them, so I'm glad I have the options of turning them off without any penatly.
Last edited by Fantastapotamus; 01-21-2016 at 01:06 AM.
Begaria
Member
(01-21-2016, 01:06 AM)
Begaria's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fantastapotamus

Fuck The Collector. Just fuck this guy. Stop just randomly showing up and killing everybody. I hate you, you stupid....floating head thing!

I ran like a little bitch when I encountered him.

On my very first run of the game with Rank 0/1 characters and no upgrades.

Yeesh.
DrArchon
Member
(01-21-2016, 01:10 AM)
DrArchon's Avatar
Just beat the first version of the Necromancer. Still haven't had a party member die, but I did find my first secret room. Got 5k gold and Dismas' Head as a trinket. So now I have Dismas holding his own head as an item. Wasn't expecting that to be a thing.

Also, I'm fully on board with corpses now. I love the added strategy they add, and they sometimes help out when I shuffle enemies around.
Fantastapotamus
Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
(01-21-2016, 01:12 AM)
Fantastapotamus's Avatar

Originally Posted by DrArchon

Just beat the first version of the Necromancer. Still haven't had a party member die, but I did find my first secret room. Got 5k gold and Dismas' Head as a trinket. So now I have Dismas holding his own head as an item. Wasn't expecting that to be a thing.

How do you find those? Is just via scouting?
DeadPhoenix
Member
(01-21-2016, 01:16 AM)
DeadPhoenix's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fantastapotamus

Fuck The Collector. Just fuck this guy. Stop just randomly showing up and killing everybody. I hate you, you stupid....floating head thing!

Out of curiosity: Do you play with or without corpses? Personally, I HATE them, so I'm glad I have the options of turning them off without any penatly.

No real penalty, but you do miss out on an achievement(if you don't turn off any of those options). I don't actually care that much about achievements, but I have corpse(and the rest) on since the game is already super easy in the beginning anyways.

How do you find those? Is just via scouting?

Wait what? This is a good question, I wasn't even aware those existed...
Fantastapotamus
Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
(01-21-2016, 01:25 AM)
Fantastapotamus's Avatar

Originally Posted by DeadPhoenix

No real penalty, but you do miss out on an achievement(if you don't turn off any of those options).

Eh. I only care if there was any chance to get all the achievments which I won't even try here
DrArchon
Member
(01-21-2016, 01:26 AM)
DrArchon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fantastapotamus

How do you find those? Is just via scouting?

Yeah, I scouted and a little gold icon appeared in a hallway. I was told to go to that spot and press W to go to a secret room. All it had was a locked chest and the tutorial info said to always have a key ready to get rewards from the secret rooms.

Not sure if they're limited to missions with bosses or not though. I got it on the Necromancer mission and not on any others.
Falk
that puzzling face
(01-21-2016, 01:31 AM)
Falk's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fantastapotamus

Even after all the time I spent with the game in EA, I still can't remember the damn locations and what's useful where. So Bleed attacks are less effective in the Cove and the Warrens, and more effective in Weald and Ruins, right? Vice versa for Blight Attacks.

Still don't know how to effectively use the Abomination. Not having a Vestal is brutal and making everybody suffer for transforming....I'll probably not use that class.

Skeletons generally don't bleed, so blight is better in Ruins.
Brandon F
Member
(01-21-2016, 01:42 AM)
Brandon F's Avatar
21:9 support?
HP_Wuvcraft
(01-21-2016, 01:59 AM)
HP_Wuvcraft's Avatar
Good to know the stuttering isn't just me.
names2hard4you
Member
(01-21-2016, 02:48 AM)
names2hard4you's Avatar
Another patch just dropped to address stuttering. Currently downloading it.
Sarcasm
Member
(01-21-2016, 02:51 AM)
Sarcasm's Avatar
Wait secret rooms exist? What does the icon look like?
8-Bit Sunset
Member
(01-21-2016, 02:52 AM)
8-Bit Sunset's Avatar
Absolutely brilliant game, and totally brutal!
Bought this when it was first available on early access months ago and it just gets better and better!
Ipad will be a perfect match for this game, so will have to pick that up as well when it becomes available!
Last edited by 8-Bit Sunset; 01-21-2016 at 05:39 AM.
names2hard4you
Member
(01-21-2016, 03:01 AM)
names2hard4you's Avatar
Stuttering is completely gone for me now. Good stuff.

Thread Tools