• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the actual power of the Nintendo Switch?

bomblord1

Banned
Compared to wiiU
In handheld mode the GPU is like a wiiU plus (think 3DS > NEW 3DS) but has the benefit of 3x the usable ram, a significantly stronger CPU, and an architecture about 5-10 years newer (yes I realize that's a wide gap but the architecture on the wiiU was a weird hodgepodge of older and newer).

In docked mode its about 4x the wiiU's GPU with the previous benefits.

Compared to the Xbox One
On paper it's GPU (docked) is a bit under 1/3rd the Xbox One (which actually isn't a huge gap) but it once again benefits from a newer architecture (about 5 years newer), a CPU that is weaker but not signficantly, and about 64% of the usable ram (3.2GB vs 5GB)

Compared to the PS360
10+ year advantage on GPU architecture
About 4-5x the GPU power (docked)
A significantly better CPU than the 360 but not the Cell (the Cell can still outperform the PS4 CPU in some tasks)
6.4x the usable RAM

In practice what you'll probably see is PS360 era graphics running at 1080p 60fps and a few improved effects.
Or 1080p 60fps PS4/Xone games running at 720p 30fps.

Examples we can point to are
Snakepass
sub 900p 30fps PS4
Switch Sub 720p 30fps with a few effects removed

Lego City Undercover
PS4 1080p 30fps/60fps
Switch 1080p 30fps

The Switch also managed to get a full Physically Based Lighting system over the wiiU version, higher resolution shadows, longer draw distance, increased texture resolution, 1080p docked, and a more consistent framerate in this game.

NewGame

Banned

SuhEACf.png

staircase-300x215.jpeg

Though since it has a Nintendo logo it, now people are suddenly interested in console games on a handheld.

I want you to think really hard about why that might be the case.
It's obvious you haven't actually read any of the threads on that exact subject, or you might not be so reductive

Hexa

That's not how this works. The X1 GPU at full speed 1GHz is 1024 gflops FP16 and 512 gflops FP32. In docked mode switch is 768MHz and portable it is 307.2MHz. Hence, if you're just trying to make comparisons based on being based on X1, the switch is 384 gflops while in docked mode and 153.6 glfops in portable mode. Note the last numbers at in FP32 because that's what's generally used for comparisons as that's what is generally used while programming at this point and so while FP16 does provide performance advantages FP32 is best for comparisons. Otherwise you end with weird numbers like the PS4 Pro being 12 TF and Scorpio being 6 TF that don't tell you anything.

breakfuss

Its as powerful as it needs to be. It's an awesome machine design wise and fun wise.

lol, yikes!

no, but this is actually a question i've had as well. Obviously it's n a smaller form factor than a Wii U...but currently I've only played Wii U ports on it lol (albeit at improved resolutions). Sooo yeah.

Simple answer is it's between PS360 and current gen. Regardless of whether it's possible, I wouldn't expect a lot of Western AAA multi plats.

Maxey

I'm sure the Switch could handle most ports if publishers were willing to spend the resources necessary for it.

Don't forget that there used to be a time when it wasn't uncommon for big profile games to get ports on massively inferior hardware in relation to the current gen of the time.

It's mostly dependent on business decisions.

Caelus

Not powerful enough to get a lot of current-gen ports, but the hardware is more 'modern' so there might be a few surprises here and there. Waiting on that Dark Souls duology.

Compared to wiiU
In handheld mode the GPU is like a wiiU plus (think 3DS > NEW 3DS) but has the benefit of 3x the usable ram, a significantly stronger CPU, and an architecture about 5-10 years newer (yes I realize that's a wide gap but the architecture on the wiiU was a weird hodgepodge of older and newer).

Compared to the Xbox One
On paper it's GPU (docked) is a bit under 1/3rd the Xbox One (which actually isn't a huge gap) but it once again benefits from a newer architecture (about 5 years newer), a CPU that is weaker but not signficantly, and about 64% of the usable ram (3.2GB vs 5GB)

Compared to the PS360
About 4-5x the raw power on paper (docked)
A significantly better CPU than the 360 but not the Cell (the Cell can still outperform the PS4 CPU in some tasks)
6.4x the usable RAM

Quoting because you actually attempted quite well to answer OP's question. This seems about right from what I recall too.

Hexa

Compared to wiiU

Compared to the Xbox One

Compared to the PS360
6.4x the usable RAM

What are you basing your 'raw power' on? Doesn't match what I have at all so I'm wondering if I'm mistaken.

Kthulhu

The Tegra X1 in the Switch is essentially built for tablets, and can currently be found in the Nvidia Shield console and the Google Pixel C tablet.

It's powerful from that perspective, but it still isn't quite as powerful as a PS4 or an Xbox One, while being a step above the Wii U.

It is however, much more powerful than the PS3 and the Xbox 360.

Lol.

So what are developers waiting for then?

Games being downported instead of going up means there's a gen difference in power.

No it doesn't. It just means the Switch isn't on the same level as the other 8th gen systems (besides the Wii U obviously).

Compared to wiiU

Compared to the Xbox One

Compared to the PS360
6.4x the usable RAM

In practice what you'll probably see is PS360 era graphics running at 1080p 60fps and a few improved effects.

Snakepass
sub 900p 30fps PS4

Lego City Undercover
PS4 1080p 30fps/60fps
Switch 1080p 30fps

The Switch also managed to get a full Physically Based Lighting system over the wiiU version, higher resolution shadows, longer draw distance, increased texture resolution, 1080p docked, and a more consistent framerate in this game.

Thank you! This put it into perspective!

Kataploom

Gold Member
Compared to wiiU

Compared to the Xbox One

Compared to the PS360
6.4x the usable RAM

Snakepass
sub 900p 30fps PS4

Lego City Undercover
PS4 1080p 30fps/60fps
Switch 1080p 30fps

Hexa

393gflops docked 157gflops handheld. This is based on the leaked clocks by digital foundry and the known architecture/sm's.

OK. So we match in how powerful the Switch is. Where did you get your Wii U and PS3360 numbers? AFAIK PS3 is 192 gflops and 360 is 240 gflops.

bomblord1

Banned
OK. So we match in how powerful the Switch is. Where did you get your Wii U and PS3360 numbers? AFAIK PS3 is 192 gflops and 360 is 240 gflops.

But they were outperformed by the wiiU's 176gflops. I was just giving rough estimates so I went with PS360 < 176 and rounded up.

_Clash_

Compared to wiiU

Compared to the Xbox One

Compared to the PS360
6.4x the usable RAM

Snakepass
sub 900p 30fps PS4

Lego City Undercover
PS4 1080p 30fps/60fps
Switch 1080p 30fps

Everyone just link to this post

Hexa

But they were outperformed by the wiiU's 176gflops. I was just giving rough estimates so I went with PS360 < 176 and rounded up.

Wii U's gpu had a better architecture, which often matters more than pure flop count. In raw FP performance I think PS3 360 still beat it, though Nintendo never reveals numbers so we'll never know for sure. Regardless, I don't suppose it matters much at this point so whatevs. Comparisons of raw power across architectures that far apart doesn't really make much sense.

bomblord1

Banned
Wii U's gpu had a better architecture, which often matters more than pure flop count. In raw FP performance I think PS3 360 still beat it, though Nintendo never reveals numbers so we'll never know for sure. Regardless, I don't suppose it matters much at this point so whatevs. I'd put it at about same as PS3 360 in raw power portable and about 2.5x docked but comparisons of architectures that far apart doesn't really make much sense.

Yea that's fair the distance between their architectures is also a good point to make as well it makes even comparing flop counts pretty much pointless.

Top Bottom