• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter XX Switch Trailer. August 25. Save Transfers. 3DS Cross Play. Bundle.

Neoxon

they always called these up-ports 'HD ver' in the past.

I don't expect any content disparity from the 3DS version as it has cross-play. But you can definitely expect goofy joke weapons.

I have no idea what specifically you're complaining about here, but they did re-do some older monster animations over the years.The improvements they made to Rathalos and Rathian in Tri were pretty massive but it was more about making them move more naturally and less like jerky robots. They aren't going to completely change the look of their attacks and movements because it'd be like changing Ryu's Shoryuken.

The overall standards for animations are far, far higher in the newer monsters. Gore Magala and Mizutsune were fascinating to look at despite the 3DS games looking like ass. It's just that after the reception to Tri's lack of content they had to throw everything and the kitchen sink into the series, and monsters like Gravios or Khezu didn't get the same treatment that Tigrex and the Raths did. So they still look and move mostly like their PS2 selves. Khezu even does his weird stare when he's low hp.

We are definitely due for another jump in fidelity like we saw with Tri, and I'm expecting this with 5. But dropping down to 20 monsters from the 90+ in this game would be even more jarring.
They did actually redo the Shoryuken animation in each numbered SF game.

Parshias7

I think we know how these Monster Hunter PS4 rumors will play out.

"Monster Hunter is moving to PS4! No more 240p!"

*Monster Hunter XX announced for Nintendo Switch*

"Monster Hunter PS4 is still coming! Just wait until E3! It's for the west!"

*Monster Hunter XX for Nintendo Switch announced for western release at E3 2017*

"Monster Hunter PS4 is still coming! Just wait until TGS! MH5, only on PS4!"

*Monster Hunter 5 for Nintendo Switch announced later in 2017*

"Monster Hunter PS4 is still coming! Just wait until next year! This will be the REAL series!"

*Monster Hunter spinoff for PlayStation 4 using assets from previous MH titles finally announced*

something something contract something something stealing our games

Pretty sure.

This E3 will be interesting. If they reveal MH5 exclusive for PS4, internet will burn. If they don't, and just reveal the western release of MHXX for Switch, internet will burn as well.

If they announce MH5 for both consoles, not surprising for me really, there will be many butthurts too.

Capcom to announce MH5 for 3DS

I honestly believe MH5 will be cross platform between 3ds and Switch.

Its possible but it will be new 3ds and Switch for that extra power.

I think if they wanted online control over it they should be able to make their own system without using system level cross saves anyway, I doubt it will use a literal 3DS save file for the Switch version, for example the Switch version might have some display/controller settings that aren't present in the 3Ds.

I mean, it looks like a very pretty 3ds game, which is what I was expecting. I can't wait for them to make a new game from the ground up on this system!

Also, for everyone thinking the series is returning to Sony for ps4, show me one rumor that isn't just wishful thinking started by a Sony fan. Nintendo has a contract with Capcom for these games. I don't see one going to a Sony platform anytime soon.

Never played MH before, and they charging 60€ for that port means it probably won't become my entry game for that series. Maybe next time, with a proper Switch release.

I dont know where you are buying your games in europe but except zelda (thay even then you could find cheaper in places lile mediamarkt) switch games have been releasing from 40-49 euros.
Hell, even street fighter 2 swith that is from capcom is selling in europe for 29 euros.

Oregano

Yeah, I have no doubt that MH games are coming to Switch in the future beyond MHXX. That's just common sense really. I just think that it won't stay tied to Nintendo platforms forever, which is something that a lot of people still seem to think will be the case, especially after yesterday's announcement.

I feel you're reaching a bit here but we'll see what happens.

I actually personally think some form of PS4 release is really likely. I just think Capcom's comments are vague enough to be meaningless.

Especially keeping in mind the MH4 announcement PR had a whole paragraph talking about their commitment to a multiplatform strategy which Vita fans held on to as proof it would release on Vita too for years.(Some Wii U fans too)

Ridley327

I actually personally think some form of PS4 release is really likely. I just think Capcom's comments are vague enough to be meaningless.

Especially keeping in mind the MH4 announcement PR had a whole paragraph talking about their commitment to a multiplatform strategy which Vita fans held on to as proof it would release on Vita too for years.(Some Wii U fans too)

To be fair, Wii U fans actually did have some reason to be hopeful for a port with the existence of MH3U, up until the online play announcement that put all the nails in that particular coffin.

Vita fans are a different story entirely, but there's no need to drudge up such bitter and occasionally hilarious memories.

13ruce

Banned
Is this really going to be as big a seller as people are claiming? I thought tv gaming in japan was really dwindling? If that's the case then isn't this just a slightly better looking version of a game many of them will have already played?

Switch is also portable my friend wich japanese people seem to love.

At the very least I'm hoping Nintendo push this for localisation. As I said earlier, I'd hold off importing if I knew a western release was coming that allowed transfer of data from Generations on 3DS.

Since this wasn't in this thread:

1) Leave the "Monster Hunter for PS4" speculation out of this thread. It's mostly harmless, but it gets folks riled up about the idea of port-begging.

If you want to ask or talk about it, make another thread. Huzzah.

Mupod

They did actually redo the Shoryuken animation in each numbered SF game.

obviously but it's still an uppercut where he jumps in the air. They can improve the detail of animations in MH but when a Rathalos roars or spits a fireball it's going to do it the same way it always has. I don't think that's a bad thing.

What I'd like them to do is iron out some of the jank in the way monsters move. Instead of robotic quarter turns, more things like the new turn animations Tigrex got in 3rd gen.

I honestly believe MH5 will be cross platform between 3ds and Switch.

I feel like they don't have a choice. MH is keeping Capcom alive. They have to release it on a platform with a huge installed userbase.

NeonZ

We are definitely due for another jump in fidelity like we saw with Tri, and I'm expecting this with 5. But dropping down to 20 monsters from the 90+ in this game would be even more jarring.

They should make it only new monsters in the low ranking, giving the main game a consistent visual presentation, but then throw old monsters with old animations for high ranking and up. Most people who can get to that point won't be put off by the animations after playing so much anyway.

Is there a story in these games? Guilds? What's the Purpose besides killing shit? How good is multiplayer?

I'm interested but not convinced.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Is there a story in these games? Guilds? What's the Purpose besides killing shit? How good is multiplayer?

There is kind of a story in other versions but the purpose of the game is kill monsters-skin them to make better weapons and armor- kill better monsters- rinse and repeat.

Zoon

If there were no plans for MH5 on Switch, Capcom wouldn't have asked Nintendo for more RAM on the switch. I know this is a strech but I don't think this was because of any other IP. It will most likely be a multi-platform title.

Kyzer

Banned

Do quests to kill stuff gather resources from their corpses and turn it into armor and weapons that make you better at killing stuff

Its pretty fun to hunt monsters with friends

Nairume

Banned
I honestly don't blame them was the Switch direct not entirely leaked on there? Or was that E3...
It was the January event, though it was a matter of a worker at the event leaking out stuff that had demo stations. Stuff that wasn't demoed and only was show off in trailers didn't get leaked by the 4chan thing.

SMT and FE Warriors did sort of get leaked elsewhere, though.

Vuze

There is but the story mode got a significant downgrade in comparison to MH4/U. MHX/XX presentation is trash in general. Grinding is the purpose, MP is super fun but the system was pretty bad on 3DS. Switch should be better given the bigger screen estate and everything.

Ridley327

The story of every Monster Hunter game since the first:

>create hunter, arrive in town
"Yo, our shit is getting fucked up by the monster that's on the cover, so be a bro and help us out."
>complete enough quests to face off and defeat said monster on the cover art
"Hey, it turns out that there's actually a even bigger monster fucking our shit up, so be an even bigger bro and help us out."
>complete enough quests to face off and defeat said bigger monster
"...seriously, you really don't want to play multiplayer? Fine, here's some bonus quests that you can do."
>complete bonus quests
"PLAY WITH OTHER PEOPLE ALREADY, GOD"

MH4 is kind of a bit more involved than that, but that's the general thrust. The only game that this doesn't apply to is MH3U in the west, and that's only because they put Azure Rathalos on the cover instead of Lagiacrus.

Syril

It's never anything super involved, usually some variation on "work your way through the ranks, building your reputation and skill while helping people out". 4U had more of an actual plot with a consistent supporting cast that filled the vendor roles and had you traveling to new areas in a caravan with the stated goal of uncovering the mystery behind a strange monster scale and contending with a virus that was driving monsters crazy.

Kyzer

Banned
I feel like attributing leaks to 4chan is like saying "the internet". Its not a blog or website with journalists who have proven to have a track record, its just a site literally anyone can post on. Info coming from 4chan cannot be valid or invalid just because its coming from 4chan, its just as credible as a youtube comment

brinstar

It should be noted that X and XX also kind of celebrate the entire series, so while there isn't much of a story there's a lot of returning NPCs from the past which is pretty fun.

Eolz

I honestly don't blame them was the Switch direct not entirely leaked on there? Or was that E3...

The Switch reveal leak was basically some of the games having a demo for the journalists (ARMS, 1-2-Switch, USF2, etc). Not all of it, or anything like a proper leak. Just someone setting up stands for an event in EU.

4chan definitely has proper leaks from time to time (Project Beast/Bloodborne, DSi, AC Empire/Origin, etc) but people seem to forget that those aren't the same people posting those, and that there's tons of fake rumors/leaks posted every week.
It's like saying "look at the neogaf leaks!" and posting Verendus' wishlist and 10k's early NX "leaks". There's obviously some right ones, but there's also a lot of fake ones. Can't really put the credibility of one forum through some posters.

Oregano

I feel like attributing leaks to 4chan is like saying "the internet". Its not a blog or website with journalists who have proven to have a track record, its just a site literally anyone can post on. Info coming from 4chan cannot be valid or invalid just because its coming from 4chan, its just as credible as a youtube comment

What are you talking about? 4Chan is a notorious hacker.

Mupod

MH4U had a decent story, pretty much the first game in the series to even try. All MH games have a pretty rudimentary story premise, mainly a powerful monster is threatening a region and you have to hunt it. But in this case the main monster had a particularly nasty ability and there was a lot of buildup around its appearance and life cycle. The supporting cast were very memorable as well thanks in part to 8-4's great localization. If you want an MH with a story I'd say play that one.

Generations' story was functional at best and unless the new content is very different, this will be as well.

But yeah, the games overarching storylines will always be based around the guild hunting monsters that present a particular kind of threat. A huge sand dragon bearing down on a desert city, an elder dragon that eats gunpowder and raids human settlements, shit like that. The setting is interesting but it's mostly just small conflicts with monsters that are a window into a wider world, so to speak.

In the end the purpose is to kill monsters and make hats out of them in order to kill bigger monsters. It's fun because the gameplay is good, not just because it's a loot game. Multiplayer is the big draw for a lot of people but some of us like going solo as well as the game's combat takes on a 'punch-out' like flow. It's just really good boss fights: the game.

MTC100

Banned
It's always amazing to see CAPCOM doesn't give a shit. Parts of the HUD are pixelated on the 1080p Switch port of Monster Hunter XX, whereas they managed to create a proper high resolution 1080p HUD on Wii U in 2012.

MHXX Switch 1080p:
mhxx_switch_pixelatedw1sdl.png

MH3U Wii U 1080p:
mh3u_wiiu_hud-1080p_ceqsvi.png

You're right but it almost looks like the pixelated look was intended though.

MTC100

Banned
Perhaps. Looks a bit like a throwback to the PSP style UI.

I think it wouldn't look so crisp(considering the youtube compression) if they were just using an enlarged 3DS UI.

This is killer material right there, also the ad is great at explaining the Switch. Now Nintendo only has to get 10 million Switch out to Japan by the time the game launches ^^

This game looks so grody. This has to be the last time they can get away with making a Monhun that looks like a PS2 game.

True but you never saw a PS2 game running at 1080p and 60FPS. -And it's a blessing compared to the 240p 3DS version...

There is kind of a story in other versions but the purpose of the game is kill monsters-skin them to make better weapons and armor- kill better monsters- rinse and repeat.

Barely, no, crafting bigger weapons to kill more shit, it's good.

Do quests to kill stuff gather resources from their corpses and turn it into armor and weapons that make you better at killing stuff

Its pretty fun to hunt monsters with friends

There is but the story mode got a significant downgrade in comparison to MH4/U. MHX/XX presentation is trash in general. Grinding is the purpose, MP is super fun but the system was pretty bad on 3DS. Switch should be better given the bigger screen estate and everything.

The story of every Monster Hunter game since the first:

>create hunter, arrive in town
"Yo, our shit is getting fucked up by the monster that's on the cover, so be a bro and help us out."
>complete enough quests to face off and defeat said monster on the cover art
"Hey, it turns out that there's actually a even bigger monster fucking our shit up, so be an even bigger bro and help us out."
>complete enough quests to face off and defeat said bigger monster
"...seriously, you really don't want to play multiplayer? Fine, here's some bonus quests that you can do."
>complete bonus quests
"PLAY WITH OTHER PEOPLE ALREADY, GOD"

MH4 is kind of a bit more involved than that, but that's the general thrust. The only game that this doesn't apply to is MH3U in the west, and that's only because they put Azure Rathalos on the cover instead of Lagiacrus.

Yes. No. Nothing. It makes the game way too easy.

It's never anything super involved, usually some variation on "work your way through the ranks, building your reputation and skill while helping people out". 4U had more of an actual plot with a consistent supporting cast that filled the vendor roles and had you traveling to new areas in a caravan with the stated goal of uncovering the mystery behind a strange monster scale and contending with a virus that was driving monsters crazy.

MH4U had a decent story, pretty much the first game in the series to even try. All MH games have a pretty rudimentary story premise, mainly a powerful monster is threatening a region and you have to hunt it. But in this case the main monster had a particularly nasty ability and there was a lot of buildup around its appearance and life cycle. The supporting cast were very memorable as well thanks in part to 8-4's great localization. If you want an MH with a story I'd say play that one.

Generations' story was functional at best and unless the new content is very different, this will be as well.

But yeah, the games overarching storylines will always be based around the guild hunting monsters that present a particular kind of threat. A huge sand dragon bearing down on a desert city, an elder dragon that eats gunpowder and raids human settlements, shit like that. The setting is interesting but it's mostly just small conflicts with monsters that are a window into a wider world, so to speak.

In the end the purpose is to kill monsters and make hats out of them in order to kill bigger monsters. It's fun because the gameplay is good, not just because it's a loot game. Multiplayer is the big draw for a lot of people but some of us like going solo as well as the game's combat takes on a 'punch-out' like flow. It's just really good boss fights: the game.

Ok! Thanks for all the replies. I'll follow this game as the info starts flowing. I'm afraid of the effect BloodBorn had on me where Playing BloodBorne by myself was okay, boring, and somewhat easy but playing with someone else was fun for me but couldn't find people to play with.

Oregano

I think it wouldn't look so crisp(considering the youtube compression) if they were just using an enlarged 3DS UI.

This is killer material right there, also the ad is great at explaining the Switch. Now Nintendo only has to get 10 million Switch out to Japan by the time the game launches ^^

True but you never saw a PS2 game running at 1080p and 60FPS. -And it's a blessing compared to the 240p 3DS version...

Is it not probably redone for the 720p Switch screen and then stretched for the 1080p output?

Top Bottom