• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 11 TV commercial "In those days, we were heroes" is super nostalgic

MoonFrog

Was a good ad imo.

Don't really see many video game ads that hit the living with a game in the back of your mind angle so well.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
After years of playing the PS2 and DS version my mind is blown every time I see how bad DQ V looks on the Super Famicom. I remember it looking much better when I first imported it in the late 90's.

LOCK

And this perfectly explains my childhood.

Probably the same for most GAFfers.

I'm so ready to play 11. TWICE.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I don't speak Japanese and I've never played a Dragon Quest game, but I still really enjoyed that commercial and it got me excited for the game. I think presenting the idea that a franchise has an important history shared among many different people is an effective strategy for selling a game, regardless of whether you're one of those people it's portraying or not.

NolbertoS

My childhood relived through those Japanese kids :'(. I remember skipping school to play the latest DQ out West. Can't wait for DQXI soon

There's something about Dragon Quest, man. I didn't grow up with them (outside of the first two Dragon Warrior Monsters games, which I went nuts over) but even so, just the name of the series fills me with warm nostalgic feelings. And this ad nails that feeling. Gave me goosebumps.

13ruce

Banned
I need dat game.
Dragon Quest has that kinda unique charm that only Zelda and Kingdom Hearts also seem to have.

Started playing dq at the age of 14 with ix and had a blast. Last month i got both 3ds remakes and builders and heroes 2.

Having a blast with the last 2 and wil play vii and viii soon.

Beautiful ad.

Cry_Me_A_River.gif

I don't speak Japanese and I've never played a Dragon Quest game, but I still really enjoyed that commercial and it got me excited for the game. I think presenting the idea that a franchise has an important history shared among many different people is an effective strategy for selling a game, regardless of whether you're one of those people it's portraying or not.

I echo these same thoughts. None of it speaks to my experience but it still just rang true and was really enjoyable. I'd love to see an American version of this sort of commercial.

clem84

Gold Member
Beautifully made. Yeah, I remember spending countless hours grinding on the NES games back in the 80s. Can't wait for DQ11.

I didn't understand a single word but that was cool.

@Raw64life "Dragon Quest XI! Pre-order today to get early access to crafting materials only at Gamestop!"

Aeana

I echo these same thoughts. None of it speaks to my experience but it still just rang true and was really enjoyable. I'd love to see an American version of this sort of commercial.

An American version would be a bunch of super cuts of people talking about how boring the series is to their friends. First on the school playground, then on USEnet, then on AIM and GameFAQs, and finally on 4chan. Fade to black, "Dragon Quest. Yeah, we still make those."

Mediking

An American version would be a bunch of super cuts of people talking about how boring the series is to their friends. First on the school playground, then on USEnet, then on AIM and GameFAQs, and finally on 4chan. Fade to black, "Dragon Quest. Yeah, we still make those."

Hahah no! My version would be of my friends and I in high school playing Dragon Quest IX like crazy and discussing everything about that massive game. Minstrel! High Tension!

inner-G

Banned
I wrote a Dragon Warrior III poem and made a terrible drawing of some armor for a 4th grade class project where we made a poetry book. I wonder how embarrassing that would be to read today, 😂

I originally wrote and edited out "based around a series that was popular in America"....but all I could think of was Final Fantasy(may work) or Nintendo in general. Which I have a lot of nostalgia for, but I'm also quite sick of at the moment, so I edited it all out....

Now I'm nostalgic for my non-existent Japanese childhood.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Have to start with a bunch of kids getting it for free with Nintendo Power.

Then have them hunt really hard for copies of Dragon Warrior 4. Then again for whichever one was rare in the US on the DS (V, I think?) Then show them buying DQ VIII for the FF XII demo before throwing it away. Then show them watching the Seth Green commercial for IX.

Aeana

Then have them hunt really hard for copies of Dragon Warrior 4. Then again for whichever one was rare in the US on the DS (V, I think?) Then show them buying DQ VIII for the FF XII demo before throwing it away. Then show them watching the Seth Green commercial for IX.

Yeah, I originally had written something much more elaborate that opened with a kid opening the mail and seeing Dragon Warrior and saying "what is this crap?"

Trago

And of course, no love for Dragon Warrior VII. (first one I played :p)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I remember having to find some really nerdy people (co-workers at a bookstore) before I ever found anyone who played DW VII to talk to in person. The game was just too damn late to look like that and do anything in the US.

Final Fantasy X came out weeks later. It looked twenty years old by comparison.

Trago

Yeah, I originally had written something much more elaborate that opened with a kid opening the mail and seeing Dragon Warrior and saying "what is this crap?"

Also, I imagine some kids would look at the box art and say "this looks like Dragon Ball Z!" .

That's literally why I wanted to play the game as a kid, don't kill me!

Raw64life

When I was a kid I asked my dad for Dragon Warrior II and he brought home Double Dragon II instead. Even back then advertising for these games had to suck.

And of course, no love for Dragon Warrior VII. (first one I played :p)

Should have someone find DWVII in a store and then ask the clerk where DWV and VI are.

Dsyndrome

Fond memories of Saro and Marquis de Leon kicking my ass in Dragon Warrior (Quest) IV that my folks rented for me from the local grocery store. Favorite one, game was way ahead of its time. Wish more folks in the US had that nostalgia for the series.

Also, yeah, never would've gotten into the series without DW1 coming free with the $15 Nintendo Power subscription.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
When I was a kid I asked my dad for Dragon Warrior II and he brought home Double Dragon II instead. Even back the advertising for these games had to suck.

Should have someone find DWVII in a store and then ask the clerk where DWV and VI are.

...Double Dragon 2 is an awesome consolation prize.

That's a great idea. Then they can run over and pick up GTA III/MGS2/SSBM/FF X instead.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Loved it. Was a real nostalgia trip for anyone who played RPGs throughout the years.

DQ11 looks so good too. As if they are going all-out for a grand send off.

The Dragon Quest theme is just too good

It's amazing how it never wears out its welcome, nor a majority of the soundtracks. A terrible tactic I do with my wife is to chuck on some DQ tunes while driving and by the time we get home we both want to play them.

urfe

I loved seeing the guy in the office secretly watching Dragon Quest stuff, as I, currently working in a Japanese office (on a Saturday!) was watching the video with no sound hoping my colleagues wouldn't notice.

My biggest Dragon Quest memory is being 7 years old and playing Dragon Warrior 2 on the NES, finally finding where that one shoal in the ocean is after wandering around aimlessly for what felt like hours, and then having the power go off due to a blackout.

Still haven't decided what version, but may go all out and get the n2DS LL pack.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Ouch...this commercial kinda hit me hard, another reminder how much i love the series.

ranmafan

A wonderful ad and really captures the feeling dragon Quest has for so many people here in Japan. I see it all the time when people bring it up. They also love it when I talk about and being a fan. I really love these long versions of the ads they put online. Can't wait to see the tv versions pop up on air soon. Really does get me excited. Can't wait for July 29th!

Top Bottom