• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantom Trigger (2D cyberpunk hack-n-slash) coming to Switch/PC (Summer 2017)

Dascu

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGaI9GSINTk
Site: http://www.phantomtrigger.com/
Steam (alpha/early access soon?): http://store.steampowered.com/app/445870/Phantom_Trigger/

ss_65d0370719634700de58bcce1a9050b7d6fecbd4.600x338.jpg

ss_e6d42b1708ca3c879a2363351e7891276a27c9c0.600x338.jpg

Phantom Trigger is a Hardcore Neon Slasher with RPG and Roguelike elements. Figure out what's real as you follow the story of Stan on a journey through surreal and twisted worlds.

• A deep combat system focused on unlocking combos and upgrading weapons
  • Handcrafted story driven levels mixed with roguelike-style dungeons
  • A branching story with multiple endings

Was announced for PC a while ago, now also confirmed for a Switch release.

All these indie hack-n-slash's are honestly starting to look alike. While I think this looks awesome, it almost looks exactly like Hyper Light Drifter

Tizoc

All these indie hack-n-slash's are honestly starting to look alike. While I think this looks awesome, it almost looks exactly like Hyper Light Drifter

It's the pixelation I guess? Having watched various footage of CPS2 era 2D arcade games, I gotta say I'd like see more games looking like those.
Still I might rab this down the line. Hope it's good.

Eolz

Looks nice!
Hyper Light Drifter really became an inspiration for a lot of indies though...

It's the pixelation I guess? Having watched various footage of CPS2 era 2D arcade games, I gotta say I'd like see more games looking like those.
Still I might rab this down the line. Hope it's good.

I wish, but I doubt most pixel artists can match Capcom of that era. Their CPS2 sprites were just...honestly, my favorite pixel work ever

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Feels like there is a Indie announcement every other day in Switch... Most of them look good or interesting so that's good. Keep them coming.
Meanwhile, the Mr Shifty patch is mia.
Developed by the same dev or what's the deal here?

EDarkness

I'd be interested in this, but I really don't like roguelike (which is seriously overused and has nothing to do with Rogue). Hope they sell well.

V_Arnold

I wish, but I doubt most pixel artists can match Capcom of that era. Their CPS2 sprites were just...honestly, my favorite pixel work ever

That is pure nostalgia talking. The quality many indie games put out nowadays greatly exceeds that of the CPS2 era. Yes, even SFIII, although I am not even sure if that game ran on that board, or the CPS3.

mikeGFG

Banned
That is pure nostalgia talking. The quality many indie games put out nowadays greatly exceeds that of the CPS2 era. Yes, even SFIII, although I am not even sure if that game ran on that board, or the CPS3.

This is utter nonsense.

Name a single indie game with better spritework than SFIII.

No, it's most definitely NOT pure nostalgia. What makes Capcom's games impressive is the sprite size/detail + animation, whereas most indie games only succeed in the second aspect

Yeah I had this thought looking at a thread yesterday for a different indie game. Awesome art but from my perspective of not being intimately familiar with them (as I haven't played the vast majority of them) they are blending into each other.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'd love to see something like this that looks less like Hyperlight Drifter, and more like, say, Neutopia series on TG16:

Neutopia+II+%28U%29-013.jpg

Or Taito's Dungeon Magic:

gfs_31545_2_1.jpg
dmscreen7.png

The flat colors with high pixel detail look only really goes so far. It just feels a bit sad to look at something with this much actual artistic talent behind it, and hard stop at thinking it looks JUST like something else that's also quite recent. There's so many possible styles with pixel art... I'd say even Kamiko looks quite a bit less derivative than this.

GWX

Played the alpha, and found it be quite fun. Hopefully the devs will consider how easy to combo-abuse and implement a scoring system à la Platinum, a combo exaustion mechanic or something the like.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
If it's fun to play, I'm interested. Had a surgical procedure yesterday and Switch/BotW was my buddy afterwards. I have to admit, I'd rather have these games on my Switch then my PC.

zigg

Definitely looks way more like HLD than Kamiko did. But it also looks like it has a different feel?

You can get access to the alpha for Windows at the official site, just sign up for their mailing list. I haven't unzipped it yet.

Top Bottom