• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT2| It's 98 All Over Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

emb

Re: intended order -
I feel like both Zora and Rito were on the simpler side, both in terms of getting there and in terms of the dungeons. Zora is closer to Impa and does a good job of funneling you into the dungeon quest, while the Rito ability makes more sense to get first.

Goron seems a little tougher as a result of dealing with the weather: unlike the cold, this is something you aren't exposed to on the plateau. Gerudo seems like the toughest of the bunch. It's in a remote location, has you dealing with multiple weather conditions in the desert, a difficult divine beast action segment, and you need the special outfit to get started.

Is anyone getting random crashes when putting the console to sleep while in the dock playing Zelda? I have gotten two so far. I lock the console and when I come back I find out the console crashed because the console's screen is on, while in the dock. And I am greeted by this:

Mind you, I have played an absurd amount of hours of Zelda while in the dock and I never turn the console off since I got it. And it has only happened two times. But has anyone else gotten this? It's only while entering sleep mode while in the dock.
No, but I have noticed that if I put the Switch in sleep mode while Zelda is running, when I turn it back on while undocked, the fans kick up and are (relatively) loud. It kicks up then slows down after 10-15 seconds. I can play for hours afterwards and it never happens again. Something is up with leaving a game running in the background while putting the Switch in sleep.

Kinsei

Banned
The Gerudo boss was bullshit btw. Dodging those attacks was hard as hell and he hit like a truck, plus he takes so many hits that my Master Sword actually ran out of energy.

It seemed pretty clear to me that you were meant to parry that bosses attacks instead of dodging them.

Edzi

It seemed pretty clear to me that you were meant to parry that bosses attacks instead of dodging them.

Urbosa literally tells you to start dodging during the fight. But who knows, maybe parries would have been easier. I haven't really parried at all in this game so I wasn't gonna start there.

KHlover

Banned
Re: intended order -
I feel like both Zora and Rito were on the simpler side, both in terms of getting there and in terms of the dungeons. Zora is closer to Impa and does a good job of funneling you into the dungeon quest, while the Rito ability makes more sense to get first.

Goron seems a little tougher as a result of dealing with the weather: unlike the cold, this is something you aren't exposed to on the plateau. Gerudo seems like the toughest of the bunch. It's in a remote location, has you dealing with multiple weather conditions in the desert, a difficult divine beast action segment, and you need the special outfit to get started.

But then you steamroll early game with
Urbosa's Fury
. I happened to visit the
Gerudo Desert
first and that ability has saved my ass so often since then.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
So getting into Gerudo Town, do I have to
talk to the guy outside the shrine
first or can I just
go straight to Kara Kara
to get in?

Kinsei

Banned
Urbosa literally tells you to start dodging during the fight. But who knows, maybe parries would have been easier. I haven't really parried at all in this game so I wasn't gonna start there.

Urbosa is wrong. Parrying the boss
as it comes out of it's teleports
is super satisfying. I really loved that fight.

Master Sword quest:
Can I eat food that gives extra hearts to get to 13 and pull out the sword, or do I need 13 actual hearts?

emb

But then you steamroll early game with
Urbosa's Fury
. I happened to visit the
Gerudo Desert
first and that ability has saved my ass so often since then.
I loved how useful
the abilities you get
are. They found a way to provide you with genuinely awesome
rewards without locking any areas of the game behind them.

Durden77

Don't have the game yet. Can't find a Switch. Has there been a rip of the version of the theme song in the trailer yet? I need something to listen to while I wallow in misery.

Pinky

Banned
Master Sword quest:
Can I eat food that gives extra hearts to get to 13 and pull out the sword, or do I need 13 actual hearts?

I don't have the Master Sword yet, but I've read
you need 13 actual hearts. Extra/temporary hearts won't cut it.

Exodust

Banned
Orb in Impa's house:

You have to finish three different side quests to get a quest for it to spawn. The Cucco one, the locating the great fairy one, and then the Lasli firefly one. After all 3, go to Impa's house at night to find Paya distraught in front of where the Orb is supposed to be.

A lot of people ask about this one, so decided to give an answer.

Kinsei

Banned
Orb in Impa's house:

You have to finish three different side quests to get a quest for it to spawn. The Cucco one, the locating the great fairy one, and then the Lasli firefly one. After all 3, go to Impa's house at night to find Paya distraught in front of where the Orb is supposed to be.

A lot of people ask about this one, so decided to give an answer.

How do you start the Lasli firefly quest?

You're taking advdice from someone who was
literally murdered by that boss a hundred years prior
, you know. Heheh.

ryechu

wooden shields. you dont even need to parry. just block.

JeTmAn81

Master Sword quest:

I tried it and found out it didn't work :/. Now I'm wondering, after you actually have it, can you trade some of your hearts away to that statue for stamina and still be able to use the sword?

I tried it and found out it didn't work :/. Now I'm wondering, after you actually have it, can you trade some of your hearts away to that statue for stamina and still be able to use the sword?

Yeah, you can. I haven't tested it, but some dude in here beat the game with the sword and only 7 hearts.

Zora spoilers

Since getting Ruta's blessing or whatever it's called like 10 hours ago, I can't really remember the last time I actually saw the Game Over screen

Based on the other power I have (Rito), these powers are really, really good

Kinsei

Banned
Zora spoilers

Since getting Ruta's blessing or whatever it's called like 10 hours ago, I can't really remember the last time I actually saw the Game Over screen

Go fight some white maned lynels and you'll see a game over screen.

Stalwart

Zora spoilers

Mipha's Grace

And yeah all 4 of the powers are great, but especially Zora's for early game.

So, quick question before I go kick Ganon's ass (possibly, depends on the answer to my question). Can I continue the game after I beat it? Like, am I placed in the world again, or is it a "The End" screen and back to the main menu?

RedSwirl

I keep thinking "what if MGS3 had been like this?" Imagine it with BOTW's open world, ambient life, and survival systems but MGSV's stealth/action gameplay and bases.

I guess we should just hope future open-world games pay attention to BOTW. I think mainly what they need to pay attention to is the austerity to which it approaches all its components. Compared to Far Cry and Skyrim this game is a lesson in design by subtraction. Not only did Nintendo cut out the fat when borrowing from Ubisoft and Bethesda, but it further developed the best parts of the open-world formula.

--The cooking system feels lifted from Skyrim, but now it's the only way to recover health so players immediately engage in it, and the systems for hunting and foraging feel deeper than what was in Skyrim or Far Cry.

--Waypoint icons for all the activities and extra things are gone, but the things themselves are designed so they're highly visible within the world itself.

--BOTW only has two major collect-a-thons from what I can see now, but each one feels much more involving since you actually have to do something to get each orb or seed instead of just running over to a waypoint.

Kinsei

Banned
So, quick question before I go kick Ganon's ass (possibly, depends on the answer to my question). Can I continue the game after I beat it? Like, am I placed in the world again, or is it a "The End" screen and back to the main menu?

You have to reload a save file but the game remembers that you beat it and a few things (like a game percentage tracker) unlock.

Wallach

I don't see how parrying would be any more effective against that boss. I didn't think Flurry Rush was harder than normal to trigger there.

Those four bosses are probably the low point of the game for me. They all seemed pretty trivial, high rank enemies in the overworld are a bigger threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom