• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

Voror

Hmm, I am a bit concerned with the equipment though otherwise it sounds good with the permanent skills and such. It's the random abilities and such that I guess are concerning. Like I'd I want to change gear regularly to learn new skills, but then would I really want to refine too much on one or keep going for the next better one. Not sure if that makes sense.

Anyone preorder the CE at Amazon? Mine has been sitting with an undetermined delivery date since I preordered it back in October.

Seems like quite a few other people on other boards having the same issue as well. Heard a couple being quoted deliveries in March (Myself included)

Datschge

Has this been said? I haven't heard anything else on the matter either way.
The European community managers promise to forward all input and called a patch a possibility. I think they are just being polite about it and not in any position to make real decisions, we'll see.

Bladenic

Anyone preorder the CE at Amazon? Mine has been sitting with an undetermined delivery date since I preordered it back in October.

Seems like quite a few other people on other boards having the same issue as well. Heard a couple being quoted deliveries in March (Myself included)

I actually just cancelled mine. I'm a Tales fan and wanted it, but then I really thought about the contents and price and the fact that it was seemingly in limbo, so I cancelled today and pre-ordered on PSN.

R0ckman

People saying this is the best Tales yet, what kind of scale are they working on? What are they measuring?

To me, absolutely nothing has topped Tales of Destiny PS2. Playing the demo of this game hasn't wowed me, not that its terrible, but it feels like the typical Tales game, do not like the simplification of the special combat system as it encourages button mashing rather than a clear distinction between special and regular attacks.

straylize

People saying this is the best Tales yet, what kind of scale are they working on? What are they measuring?

To me, absolutely nothing has topped Tales of Destiny PS2. Playing the demo of this game hasn't wowed me, not that its terrible, but it feels like the typical Tales game, do not like the simplification of the special combat system as it encourages button mashing rather than a clear distinction between special and regular attacks.

If Destiny PS2 is your tops, it probably won't top that. For me, Berseria sits solidly in my top 5, but underneath the 2D PS2 entries.

(But above Symphonia/Abyss/Vesperia by a long shot as well).

Though admittedly, I feel this way with Berseria more for the characters, the story progression and the amount of content and time sunk into mini-games rather than the depth of the combat, where my feelings for my other top favorites are either more well-rounded (nothing tops Destiny DC in this regard) or strictly for combat preference.

Lord Phol

Haven't played a jrpg in ages and never touched anything from the tales series before. Tried out the demo and found it interesting, might end up getting the game.

rocK`

Banned
Assume this plays like the other Tales games, not sure why they keep avoiding online Co op. Would have been a great buy if it had it.

Kyzer

Banned
Always wanted to try a tales game but every time i look the current one is not so hot. Is this a good one to try and join in on?

Had my CE ship put from Gamestop today, pretty excited. Played the shit out of Vesperia but skipped the last couple iterations. Demo sucked me in, should be a fun weekend.

straylize

Please tell me the skill/equipment system is nothing like Zestiria.

It's a simplified, more streamlined blend of Vesperia's and Zestiria's—in a good way. Some skills can be learned from the weapons, others only while a weapon is equipped, but it's much less convoluted in all ways.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Assume this plays like the other Tales games, not sure why they keep avoiding online Co op. Would have been a great buy if it had it.

How would they implement it? The host player makes progress and the guest gets jack shit? Would you even want to join a player at hour 30 when you are at hour 2? (Or vice versa?)

The entire game framework would have to fundamentally change to make co-op meaningful or else they are budgeting for infrastructure entirely around private sessions for friends, which makes no practical business sense(especially since couch co-op exists for that). The franchise is already adopting a rather paltry budget as is feeding a niche audience, much of which must be tied into full voice acting across multiple languages alone(and there is a metric fuckton of it!)

What do you really want from online co-op anyway? Planned sessions with friends to experience the progression together? Would you really plan scheduling around a 60 hour game to do so?

Buying it because I love Tales games, want to support them, and enjoyed the demo. But with Nioh coming out soon I don't know how much i'll be playing this, lol. I'll at least play it in the meantime. The last Tales I really enjoyed was Xillia, so if this is half as good i'm sure i'll dig it.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
So I saw that this game was on pc so i said fuck it and bought it, realized that its not out until 3 days from now and that it was a pre-purchase, and I guess now we play the waiting game.

I'm a bit on the fence with this game. I've been a fan of the series since Symphonia, but the last one I enjoyed was Vesperia; Graces F and Xillia were kind of meh for me and I skipped the others. I've also been feeling kind of burnt out on JRPGs for a while after playing them so much in the past, but they do occasionally still grab me. I'm unsure if Berseria would work for me or not, but I've read a lot of good things about it. The demo didn't do much for me.

Is anyone else having issues with places getting the game? I had it preordered on Amazon but it didn't even have an estimated ship date as of this morning so I cancelled in favor of going to GameStop. My local Gamestops said they weren't sure if they are getting any copies today though :/

Maybe I'll just go digital

Tohsaka

Is anyone else having issues with places getting the game? I had it preordered on Amazon but it didn't even have an estimated ship date as of this morning so I cancelled in favor of going to GameStop. My local Gamestops said they weren't sure if they are getting any copies today though :/

Yeah, I chatted with an Amazon rep and they said they don't know when they'll be getting it in. Not sure what's going on, luckily I have RE7 and Yakuza 0 coming tomorrow to tide me over.

branny

The battle system in this one looks like it'll be lots of fun for spellcasters. Hope the whole package is Vesperia-tier like some have been saying. :D

Derkon

Yeah I preordered my copy on Friday and still don't have an estimate. I'd go digital but I like my physical copies of JRPGs to much >.>

Shouta

Tales of Destiny R > Tales of Berseria > rest, pretty much

Yeah I preordered my copy on Friday and still don't have an estimate. I'd go digital but I like my physical copies of JRPGs to much >.>

Me too :( but I just want this game too much to wait lol
If the game's as good as people say I'll probably get it physically also as soon as there's a price drop

Renewed

I regret buying Zestiria digitally (even though it was $15) since I can only delete it lol

I don't own any Tales game physically (Symphonia, Vesperia, Xillia, Zestiria) but I don't mind it too much.

At any rate I guess I could play the demo to continue getting used to the combat?

Rainy

Banned
I just pre-ordered yesterday night from Amazon so I'm not expecting to get it tomorrow but I just talked with an Amazon rep anyway and she said I would be getting it Wednesday, which lines up correctly. I'm guessing those who preordered early Sunday and earlier will still get it tomorrow, but might want to chat with an Amazon rep just to make sure.

Huh. I was expecting the game to ship today through Amazon but it's still estimating.

Same here, which is weird since it had an actual date just a few days ago :\

Oh well, I wouldn't have played it right away anyways. Got GR and KH2.8 both ordered too, plus I wanted to wait for some DLC outfits for this to drop before I really got into it.

Rhapsody

Banned
Have it preordered. Arriving hopefully by tomorrow. The demo was fun, and I'm looking forward to it. Zestiria's battle system clicked better with me though, but Berseria's quite a departure. I'll get used it.

I didn't find Magilou as fun as some of the Seraphs in Zestiria. Felt kind of weird to control, imo.

Cornbread78

Gamestop just called me and said I could come pick up my copy between 9-10 tonight? Sweet!

Probably because of the storm coming in.

Ketkat

Do we know if there are cutscenes without any subtitles in this one? Zestiria had that for the anime scenes, which sucked for the people playing in Japanese

Bladenic

Have it preordered. Arriving hopefully by tomorrow. The demo was fun, and I'm looking forward to it. Zestiria's battle system clicked better with me though, but Berseria's quite a departure. I'll get used it.

I didn't find Magilou as fun as some of the Seraphs in Zestiria. Felt kind of weird to control, imo.

The appeal of Magilou is that you finally have a way to counter those horrible magic spamming enemies. Like those pixies from Zestiria, yikes.

Top Bottom