• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More StarCraft Remastered Rumors, May-June Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't seem to know much about the scene. The game is alive and played a lot, even more than just a year ago. Koreans play on fish.
We also had a team tournament that just concluded (last week) with a standard one coming up soon (and even apart from that there were all the SSLs in the past years + what came from LoveTV).

The competitive scene is all but dead. Sure recently a few tournaments have started running but player numbers, spectators and prize money are a mere fraction of what they were. General playing numbers of Starcraft in Korea are tiny compared to what they used to be.

I'm aware that people still play the game in Korea and I'm happy to see more big tournaments happening again (and it's great seeing the big names back in BW). Let's not pretend that BW is in a remotely healthy place right now though.

You're right I haven't followed the BW scene for quite a while but I don't think you need to follow it closely to know how far it has fallen. If this helps it pick up a bit that would be great.

I lost my interest in following competitive SC2 when Life got banned for match fixing. It's hard imagining a top 3 player (imo) being permanently banned in another sport.

Lucumo

The competitive scene is all but dead. Sure recently a few tournaments have started running but player numbers, spectators and prize money are a mere fraction of what they were. General playing numbers of Starcraft in Korea are tiny compared to what they used to be.

I'm aware that people still play the game in Korea and I'm happy to see more big tournaments happening again (and it's great seeing the big names back in BW). Let's not pretend that BW is in a remotely healthy place right now though.

You're right I haven't followed the BW scene for quite a while but I don't think you need to follow it closely to know how far it has fallen. If this helps it pick up a bit that would be great.
It's not just recently. As I said, SSL and LoveTV have been running for a few years. Back in the day, SSL was for mediocre players who had retired but as people didn't make the forced transition to SC2 or came back from SC2, the general skill increased. Of course spectator numbers will never reach again what they used to be back in 2005/2006...or I should say, no game will ever do that (LoL is smaller than BW was at its peak). Prize money is obviously down since they lack proper sponsors, and since Blizzard wants control and they already got burned once, I doubt they would want to bother again. Player-wise, it's down compared to ten years ago, but up compared to last year, the year before etc. Fish peak numbers increased from 13k (2014) to 25k (January 2017).

It definitely isn't. Skill-wise, it's pretty low compared to the professional days. There is also a lack of young blood in the scene (and I don't know whether there are still school tournaments, I doubt it though).
But we are still experiencing a natural re-growth which is good. So Blizzard, with their awful track record, meddling again to make some money, probably dividing the scene into fish and crappy B-net is not a good sign.

Mandoric

Banned

It's fallen very far, but 5-7-10-1-3 is still on an upward trend? Is my read.

Assuming BW Neo is actually BW Neo and not "I saw you were running BW tournaments again so I decided to run my own exclusive BW tournament with no LAN client". That would be shit and the complete death of the scene.

Nokterian

I remember watching SC2 pro matches became big almost 7 years ago now? First it was fun to watch but like others said what blizzard did with the slow pace of patches..no LAN options since Broodwar does have it, i mean if there is no internet there is no competition. It did happen during a match i remember or was it before it even started?

The public was not liking it at all when the connection broke during a match, if someone knows what i am talking about please bring that footage.

But than games like Dota 2 and LoL became bigger and someone like me find it more intrestring to watch than SC2 matches at that point. I am not saying it is dead but blizzard did something totally wrong in every direction they took for pro players.

It is wait and see if there is a remaster underway..no word on Warcraft 3 remaster also at this point.

It's good that the game has bounced back somewhat though I question how much further it will go. I can understand being wary of blizzards involvement but right now we don't know what the game is, if it's even happening and if blizzard intend to have anything to do with the pro scene. If it's just an updated version of BW that's great. If they just update the online a bit and potentially add a ladder I'm ok with that.

I doubt they'll want to take over the pro scene considering how much backlash they received and how SC2 turned out.

I feel like this could be a shot in the arm for the competitive scene. Much more importantly I'm just interested to see how it turns out. The original is always there for me but I think it would be fun to play an updated version.

how much longer til this actually happens?

I'd like to know this too. The Blizzard blog post stated that the event begins at 2PM - but what is that, Korean time or US? We need a countdown timer.

EDIT: Ah, here we go:

StarCraft Celebration Event (March 25 10:00 p.m. – 10:45 p.m. PDT)

t1490504400z4.png

Why did Starcraft 2 have to get such a poor story :( Starcraft original story was vastly superior.

After waiting for over 10 years to see where the story went it would have been hard to be much worse. The original story is still fine though so I'm happy to just enjoy it.

I'd like to know this too. The Blizzard blog post stated that the event begins at 2PM - but what is that, Korean time or US? We need a countdown timer.

EDIT: Ah, here we go:

StarCraft Celebration Event (March 25 10:00 p.m. – 10:45 p.m. PDT)

t1490504400z4.png

Thanks for adding the timer. I feel I'm getting myself hyped for something that is going to fail to deliver.

Thinking about a little more I'd wager SC1 Remastered has to be announced here with Blizzard bringing back the Brood War legends of Flash, Bisu, Stork and Jaedong for show matches directly following their 45-minute press event. This is the first time they've done something like this in, forever? Since Brood War was in its prime in Korea?

Oh well, just 19 or so hours until we find out for definite. Posted a countdown timer above.

Thanks for adding the timer. I feel I'm getting myself hyped for something that is going to fail to deliver.

No worries man. Thought the thread definitely needed one since people will probably be checking in to this thread all day wondering when the announcement will drop. Also feel similar to you, part of me is hopeful and optimistic that the rumours will prove true but just also hope this hype train doesn't crash come 10pm.

Hope my earlier prognosis is correct and the Brood War legends are back because there'll be a big announcement. Guess we'll see soon.

peakish

I wonder who Blizzard will be targeting with this HD version. The current Korean competitive scene probably doesn't want anything that isn't an exact replica of the current game, with all bugs and physics intact. The thing is, would they even switch if this was pulled off? There's still the original game that they can play on, after all.

Then there's crowd who want to play the game as they remember it, not necessarily as it was. They'd want a smoother experience without pathfinding problems and maybe with some modern additions like right click rally points, rallying workers to mine, etc.

And finally the crowd who want a large modernization with unlimited unit selection and tabs, who might be interested in checking out the story but would otherwise be mostly happy with the SC2 mechanics.

IDK, I think Blizzard will be in a rough spot regardless of what they do unless they've done all three, lol. Curious to see what they're doing though.

fireflame

Sad to say this but i prefer a hd remake over a new "multiplayer mainstream" game. I miss the days where Diablo , Starcraft and the Warcraft series got the core of the attention.

StayDead

I wonder who Blizzard will be targeting with this HD version. The current Korean competitive scene probably doesn't want anything that isn't an exact replica of the current game, with all bugs and physics intact. The thing is, would they even switch if this was pulled off? There's still the original game that they can play on, after all.

Then there's crowd who want to play the game as they remember it, not necessarily as it was. They'd want a smoother experience without pathfinding problems and maybe with some modern additions like right click rally points, rallying workers to mine, etc.

And finally the crowd who want a large modernization with unlimited unit selection and tabs, who might be interested in checking out the story but would otherwise be mostly happy with the SC2 mechanics.

IDK, I think Blizzard will be in a rough spot regardless of what they do unless they've done all three, lol. Curious to see what they're doing though.

I genuinly think they're going for an up res exact replica for the Korean scene. If they want Starcraft to be properly relevant as an esport again (with their complete backing), it's the only option they have.

Thinking about a little more I'd wager SC1 Remastered has to be announced here with Blizzard bringing back the Brood War legends of Flash, Bisu, Stork and Jaedong for show matches directly following their 45-minute press event. This is the first time they've done something like this in, forever? Since Brood War was in its prime in Korea?

Oh well, just 19 or so hours until we find out for definite. Posted a countdown timer above.

No worries man. Thought the thread definitely needed one since people will probably be checking in to this thread all day wondering when the announcement will drop. Also feel similar to you, part of me is hopeful and optimistic that the rumours will prove true but just also hope this hype train doesn't crash come 10pm.

Hope my earlier prognosis is correct and the Brood War legends are back because there'll be a big announcement. Guess we'll see soon.

If it all ends up being nothing I'll just do another play through of BW for a bit of fun.

Broodwar is in excellent shape in late 2016 and early 2017. Incredible resurgence. ASL is rocking some of the best BW matches of all time.

I have been watching some more lately and it has been awesome.

Sad to say this but i prefer a hd remake over a new "multiplayer mainstream" game. I miss the days where Diablo , Starcraft and the Warcraft series got the core of the attention.

todays generation of awful, participation trophy wanting gamers has really hurt multiplayer gaming

I genuinly think they're going for an up res exact replica for the Korean scene. If they want Starcraft to be properly relevant as an esport again (with their complete backing), it's the only option they have.

Did some research on Twitter, looking at news sources that reported on the rumour and one particular article stated that Blizzard intend to do just that. Zero gameplay changes from Brood War with the original gameplay intact and 1:1 with Brood War for, as you say, the Korean competitive scene. Sounds like the only choice they have TBH.

If it all ends up being nothing I'll just do another play through of BW for a bit of fun.

Fantastic idea! I have fond memories of playing the original as a teenager. Amazing, amazing game. Speaking of the original SC and Brood War:

hLncB8M.jpg

Source: https://us.battle.net/shop/en/product/game/legacy-games

Surely this is a good sign SC Remastered is coming? To replace the legacy collection?

peakish

That'd definitely be cool. I'd probably like some smoothing out myself but what I really want is for the pro scene to be happy. I was never good at BW but it has given me hundreds of hours of quality entertainment just thanks to the Korean scene.

KLoWn

Poor story? Common now, SC2 story is ok. There are lots of inconsistencies in SC/BW just like in SC2
The ending to SC2 was the worst shit ever. And this is coming from a huge Starcraft fan.

I do agree that people over exaggerate how bad it was though, even though it was pretty bad.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Why not both. A pro original mode and an updated mode for casuals. Would be the best way to go about it.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Poor story? Common now, SC2 story is ok. There are lots of inconsistencies in SC/BW just like in SC2

Nah it's significantly worse like it really isn't close. It's a difference in intension and they've even stated as such. SC2 is a relatively light popcorn flick block buster style of story and execution. SC1 took it's influences from movies like Alien/Aliens and Apocalypse Now

The tone is entirely different as is the execution. SC1 ultimately everyone is incredibly flawed with a question of degrees of flaws and general motif of war is hell. it's serious and played entirely straight. You wouldn't actually want to be in that universe.

SC2 is comparatively much more light hearted where there is struggles ultimately the good guys win save the day and go through the typical character arcs common in 1 and half hour movies. This would be fine on it's own but it's a sequel to SC1 and the execution isn't that great.

Skab

Blizzards approach to story telling changed in general after WoW. Or maybe the Acti-Blizz merger? A lot of people liked to solely blame Metzen for it, but that really wasnt the case as he was also the one who gave us the stories we like so much, and once they company got bigger more people got involved in coming up with the stories themselves.

Diablo and Starcraft both had weird elements of fantasy injected into them that didnt used to be there. Kerrigan in SC2 can just fly around around, where as in BW she had to be carried by an Overlord like every other ground based Zerg creature. The world of Sanctuary went from being grounded in reality to having structures that looked like they were built from the Dwarves of Ironforge.

I admit that I'm personally disappointed by it, but I've never let it get in the way of my enjoyment of the games as a whole.

Woorloog

Banned
Blizzards approach to story telling changed in general after WoW. Or maybe the Acti-Blizz merger?

The change happened sometime after Warcraft 3 The Frozen Throne. When exactly is difficult to pinpoint.
I'm inclined to think that vanilla WoW still retained the old style to an extent but need for massive amount of new characters and bosses etc. seems to have started a change. This was well before the merger.

Metzen gets a lot of blame wrongly (IIRC he was a creative director or something, not sure he was really involved in details, group effort in either case) but there are some solid points: He did retcon Warcraft lore for The Burning Crusade (draenei-eredar mess, Naaru), and Metzen did say he is a fan of redemption stories, which may be the thing behind Kerrigan and Illidan becoming good guys (with no one having a problem with that they're mass murderers and whatever else).

Blackage

Nah it's significantly worse like it really isn't close. It's a difference in intension and they've even stated as such. SC2 is a relatively light popcorn flick block buster style of story and execution. SC1 took it's influences from movies like Alien/Aliens and Apocalypse Now

The tone is entirely different as is the execution. SC1 ultimately everyone is incredibly flawed with a question of degrees of flaws and general motif of war is hell. it's serious and played entirely straight. You wouldn't actually want to be in that universe.

SC2 is comparatively much more light hearted where there is struggles ultimately the good guys win save the day and go through the typical character arcs common in 1 and half hour movies. This would be fine on it's own but it's a sequel to SC1 and the execution isn't that great.

I agree with this. In Starcraft 1, the story is basically about 3 different races that go to war with one another because their differences make conflict and confrontation inevitable.

The Zerg aren't evil for evil's sake. They don't gleefully murder and destroy worlds, it's just their nature to improve themselves and consume worlds. The Overmind wasn't evil, he was the heart of the swarm, a swarm that could still survive after his death because the nature of it bore fruit that was Kerrigan to lead them.

The Terrans are flawed ass humans with flawed leadership doing flawed shit that can be good(Raynar) or bad (Arcturus) based on who's leading them we know how humanity functions.

The Protoss had some extreme views that led them to do extreme shit because they were the most advanced race in the galaxy and felt threatened by the other two races from their high perch.

The plot of SC2 is basically that there's a big bad and everyone needs to get along or it'll kill us. Also the zerg are misunderstood.

frontovik

Banned
Count me among those who enjoyed SC1 for its story and atmosphere. The multiplayer aspect wasn't of interest to me.

I'd argue that the story and atmosphere was unique enough to be considered one of Blizzard's best. SC2 was utter balderdash with how its writers handled it.

caffeware

Banned
Will this be like the street fighter 2 nd remake? Good for a month and then back to the original?

If this changes gameplay/feels even in the slightest (it most likely will), this will be a no, no.

DieH@rd

Banned
Will this be like the street fighter 2 nd remake? Good for a month and then back to the original?

If this changes gameplay/feels even in the slightest (it most likely will), this will be a no, no.

I think they will retain [perfect] old gameplay.

Fuchsdh

Yes?

Starcraft campaign has such memorable moments. Mengsk's chilling betrayal of Kerrigan and the inauguration speech, the evil that oozes from the Overmind through the Zerg campaign, rebirth of Kerrigan, the Protoss desperate fight and Tassadar's badassery in general.

Gameplay-wise, they are dated. But few RTS campaigns have such a great cast of characters, general style and mood and neat twists in the story.

Which is why SCII shitting on the story was one of the great wrenching knife-turns of recent gaming :(

Woorloog

Banned
Which is why SCII shitting on the story was one of the great wrenching knife-turns of recent gaming :(

No need to tell me that. My reaction to the ending of SCII was basically "what the fuck Blizzard, i'm not touching any more of your single player games".
Actually, that was my reaction to each part of SCII trilogy. Didn't really hold on to that "no more single player games", i bought the Nova DLC too (never finished it though).
Shit story aside, SCII is quite fun to play. But it hurts all the same.

Sigh.

Never going to get a proper sequel to Warcraft III and TFT either...

DieH@rd

Banned
So it's happening, huh?

The only thing that is happening for sure is a Legends match with 4 broodwar legends. People expecting more are just hyped up. :) But hey, if more people watch it because of remaster hype, that's fine by me.

Somebody needs to create thread for Legends match. We should promote it that way.

Syf

Banned
Starts in just over 7 hours (10pm PDT)

Celebration for one hour, then the Brood War showmatches start at 11pm. Then GSL final at 3am

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom