• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are the neon joy cons distracting in handheld mode?

Iced

I absolutely love the colour scheme for the neon Switch, but I'm worried the bright colours might be distracting when playing games in handheld mode. So for those who own neon joy cons, what has your experience been like so far?

Also looking for opinions from folks who have used both colour schemes.

Thanks!

Malus

Nah. I was going to get grey fearing that the colors would be distracting/annoying to look at after a while. Ended up lucking into a neon preorder by chance and I'm glad to have it. The blue isn't as bright as it looked in preview footage/pics which helps.

SRTtoZ

Nope, and having 2 red joy-cons looks amazing. I have a pair of gray and a pair of red and I keep the red on the unit at all times and the gray ones separate for docked use however when I need to charge I just swap them out with the reds and I have a charged set ready to go.

mandiller

I absolutely love the colour scheme for the neon Switch, but I'm worried the bright colours might be distracting when playing games in handheld mode. So for those who own neon joy cons, what has your experience been like so far?

Also looking for opinions from folks who have used both colour schemes.

Thanks!

I know exactly what you're worried about, but nope, it's fine. They're not distracting. There's a big black bezel anyway.

The neon colours look fantastic in person too. I didn't think i'd like the look of them until I saw them in the flesh.

Iced

We've clearly hit peak Switch threads now.

And it only took 9 posts for the shit posting to start.

Thanks for everyone else's feedback! It's very helpful. I impulse-bought a grey one today but haven't opened it yet because my heart is set on a neon Switch. My only reservation was that the colours might be distracting. Sounds like that isn't the case!

Dystify

My hands cover most of it and even if they didn't, the colors don't bother me at all. I feared they would before I tried Switch with Neon Joy-Con, but luckily they don't.

We've clearly hit peak Switch threads now.

It's a legitimate question. I was worried about the same thing before release. Sure, he could have posted in one of the existing Switch threads, but posts like yours are much worse. What are you even trying to contribute here?

bounchfx

Nope. it was my biggest fear but they simply aren't. They're gorgeous and make me happy every time I look at the system

Nope. I was worried about that but it hasn't been distracting to me at all. I absolutely love the Neon colors (red especially).

I actually bought both gray and neon on launch just to compare them side by side before I make the final decision, took me 2 seconds to conclude without a shadow of a doubt that I vastly prefer Neon over gray. Kept the neon and sold the gray.

Jumpman23

One thing that did bother me but only because I'm crazy...the supposed matching wrist strap colors don't actually match in color. I picked up a neon red and blue set for $8 each thinking they'd match, but nope. Not a deal breaker but weird they'd have them not matching in color.

that depends

FGtQaVb.jpg

rK0plI1.jpg

Ha I was just wondering this same thing because I have an order for each placed and didnt know which one to keep. I think I'm just going to get the neon because it's different and any time I get a Switch in the future I already know I'll be able to easily get the gray.

komorebi

Nah...t at all

Love my DIY neon joycons since I only managed to grab a grey at launch. Which also looks great imo. But I think neon is the way to go. Be advised that they are NEON, not "red and blue". Pics don't really do them justice.

Piscus

I got the grey Switch console but bought a pair of Neon Blues. I mainly play in handheld mode with the Blues now, haha.

japtor

My friend found them distracting or it was something about the mismatched pair I think. In any case he knew I was looking for neon and sold me his (he had a gray preorder too). I haven't had a problem with it myself.

Nope, I use 2 Neon Blues but the screen is so big along with the bezel that you don't really notice them at all and also your hand covers the majority of it.

FingerBang

Have to add my nope to the other nope in this nope chain.

Tbh I wanted to go gray at first but having seen it I believe neon is the way to go.

tiva

Neo Member
dude i had a neon purple gameboy my entire childhood and i never even gave a fuck. it never even occurred to me to be distracted by the color. what a weird question

Really glad I got the neon.
Honestly don't even notice the colors as a distraction while playing in handheld mode. I guess my hands just cover them enough.

Stoked to get another pair of neon joycons so I'll have a full set of blue and of red!

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'm very renuent on using colors on the front-face of my devices for the same reason but I see the neon joycons very light in that regards, it's not the same oversaturared and overblown colors but something softer which goes great with this console!

Ninja Dom

Not at all.

And I don't actually know any different. I've only seen a grey Switch on TV or the internet. Only a glimpse of one from another guy on a train.

Top Bottom