• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alfonso Azpiri, (among other things) videogame illustrator, has passed away.

retrato-azpiri.png

He was an Spanish illustrator who did several of the most badass videogames covers back in the 80's.

You may know him for this cover of Dark Souls II

images

In 2010 he released an artbook called Spectrum with his most memorable works:

9788467483826.jpg

Descanse En Paz, Maestro Azpiri.

Atolm

DEP. He's a myth in the Spanish gaming industry & community. His artwork defined a whole decade in gaming for the country.

yurinka

RIP, master. He did covers of many 8 bit computer classics.

Is it unfair to say this guy's art was pretty misogynist and trashy?
Yes. It's also wrong, but understandable from ignorant uncultured ones who don't know a shit about and art who could get mad when watching certain parts of human body in misogynist patriarchal awful places like museums or history books.

Yes, I think its unfair to say that.

In fact, I would say Marvel and DC art of women are way more misogynistic yet they never get any blame.

That's entirely untrue. Marvel and DC have gotten hit with complaints about how women are drawn for years and have withdrawn or changed art due to that criticism, both from within and outside the companies, on numerous occasions.

Edit: I don't think that this thread is the place to bring critical discussion on the matter, but don't spout nonsense.

I've seen this guy's art before on some comics.

RIP.
Yes, I think its unfair to say that.

In fact, I would say Marvel and DC art of women are way more misogynistic yet they never get any blame.
Marvel and DC have been getting heavy criticism for that. Have you looked at a recent comic from them? It's not the 90s anymore.
Yes. It's also wrong, but understandable from ignorant uncultured ones who don't know a shit about and art who could get mad when watching certain parts of human body in misogynist patriarchal awful places like museums or history books.
Calm yourself. You sound like those people that cry the "sjw" are taking over comics.

grapper

Neo Member
Is it unfair to say this guy's art was pretty misogynist and trashy?
Yes. It's totally unnecessary as the art is a product of its time. Good or bad. Just accept it as it is. Spend your time on something more constructive. Such as building a 300m Nutella tower.

eXistor

Never heard of the guy, but looking here I do recognise some of his work. A big talent has left this world for sure.

yurinka

Fun fact: regarding videogame covers, he was very popular in Spain because of his work for 8bit computer Spanish games, but he also did the cover for the first Ubisoft game ever: Zombi.

9c8743870b0258bfa7f2d8d2d7e26928.jpg

Terrorblot

RIP, master. He did covers of many 8 bit computer classics.

I think it's a little presumptuous to just assume I don't know a thing about art, it's a subject I care about and actually I happen to have a BFA in Illustration.

I don't know anything about Alfonso but a lot of the stuff I'm seeing on Google Images is a lot of curvy woman in latex and sex poses. An image (a comic cover it looks like?) of busty woman being whipped while dragging chariots with gags in their mouths? I think there can be quite a gray area and overlap between fetish and art, and the man is clearly very talented, but I'd hardly consider it an uncultured opinion to find this questionable and possibly not worth lauding over in a topic.

You should wait for him to die and then say it in the thread about him passing away

Fair enough, the man is dead and this is a discussion for another time.

Kinyou

Very talented man. RIP

I think it's a little presumptuous to just assume I don't know a thing about art, it's a subject I care about and actually I happen to have a BFA in Illustration.

I don't know anything about Alfonso but a lot of the stuff I'm seeing on Google Images is a lot of curvy woman in latex and sex poses. An image (a comic cover it looks like?) of busty woman being whipped while dragging chariots with gags in their mouths? I think there can be quite a gray area and overlap between fetish and art, and the man is clearly very talented, but I'd hardly consider it an uncultured opinion to find this questionable and possibly not worth lauding over in a topic.
I'm not sure what's wrong with making fetishy art. If it's not your thing you could have just ignored the topic.

sublimit

Banned
I learned about his work through Heavy Metal magazine many years ago but i didn't knew he also worked for games.Really liked his fluid style and colors.The man had a style of his own and really knew how to draw from imagination.

RIP.

Fair enough, the man is dead and this is a discussion for another time.
At least he isn't Frank Cho.
Joe Madureira? How are you seeing that? You're bananers!
Their line work is almost similar. Very dynamic.

Top Bottom