• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS 2 discussion thread (provisional release date: Septemberish 2017)

yume_2501

Any real simulator really. Assetto Corsa, iRacing (literally only has what the real racing car has), R3E (I think?)

interesting, thank you for the answer. the most sim racing game i have played is dirt rally and doesn't have this option but rally car probably only use ABS in real life

Thanks for the explanation!

Super late edit:

Today I made my first race with the AI using a wheel. I was quite impressed. I had raced against it in the past while using a gamepad and with lower settings, but this time I went for 110/120 dificulty and 80/100 aggression as my starting point. I had a very fun race. Some points:
  • First turn. I did not see any pile up, but they still have problems managing going through them at very fast pace. You can gain some positions easily.
  • Speed: They are the same speed as the player. When you catch them in the straight is because you made a better turn. If you do it worse, you will not catch them.
  • Turning: Overall pretty good. They have similar braking points to mine. I was feeling confident racing behind them, keeping close quarters, for the biggest part of the circuit. There're some corners they are too slow and that's where I overtook them. If SMS end up nailing the AIW of every circuit, they will be quite challenging. As it is now, they are mostly fine, but these turns cost them dearly.
  • Contact: They try to avoid contact with the player at all costs. I was really surprised by them reacting to me. They dive deep when they have the chance, they attack your mistakes, but they seem to always make sure you have enough room.
  • Other activity: They make mistakes, small and big, and they fight for positions between them. It's quite the thing playing SP and thinking: Okay, they are in a fight now, it will help me catching up.
Disclaimer: this is my experience with TC Class @ Sugo, which is a wide track with not many sharp turns.

Video: Project CARS 2 [WiP] - Opel Astra TCR @ Sugo [Touring Car Class Race]

Isn't most of this behaviour already visible in the first game? Particularly about AI avoiding contact and fighting other AI for position. Actually it's the same with the speed and turning. I feel like that is my experience as it stands right now, no? Or was the point that it's similar to the first one?

Edit: Does the AI going off track actually result in them slowing down? That would be new I feel. It looks like terrain just never factors into the speed at which AI could drive so if they went wide on a turn and went into gravel, they'd just suffer from having taken a very wide line and not get stuck up in gravel like a player would.

R3E (I think?)
Traction Control, yes, but it doesn't automatically set the right shifting style, even though the game knows what kind of gearbox every car has.
Also, I read up on this as best as I could, they implemented ABS 3 years ago, fans didn't like it, they took it back out and currently there is no ABS not even in GT3 cars.

Traction control has different levels that can be changed on the fly (it's always 6 for all cars though, I think, some GT3 cars have over 10 irl), which I really like, Assetto Corsa has this too(for ABS as well), but pCARS 2 seemingly won't have it, just one setting that can be changed in the garage, which is just... why??? That's such an easy feature, even Gran Turismo Sport will have this change-TC/ABS on the fly in Gr.4 to 1 cars (edit: only TC on the fly, not ABS in GT Sport, sorry, ABS is in the options menu with off/mild/strong).

fresquito

Isn't most of this behaviour already visible in the first game? Particularly about AI avoiding contact and fighting other AI for position. Actually it's the same with the speed and turning. I feel like that is my experience as it stands right now, no? Or was the point that it's similar to the first one?

Edit: Does the AI going off track actually result in them slowing down? That would be new I feel. It looks like terrain just never factors into the speed at which AI could drive so if they went wide on a turn and went into gravel, they'd just suffer from having taken a very wide line and not get stuck up in gravel like a player would.
No, the principles may be shared, but not the executions. PC1 AI felt always like a threat, elements that were put there not to make my race harder, but my driving. Braking points, deep dives, weird zig-zags when finding a crashed car... it was far from what I'd call immersive or fun. I've not played this new IA more than in this one race, but it felt like a race to me. Some corners they were going slow, but it felt like when I play someone who doesn't know better. They don't feel alien to the race anymore.

About offroad, from what i saw, I think it does, but I can't say for sure since my experience is very limited.

Traction Control, yes, but it doesn't automatically set the right shifting style, even though the game knows what kind of gearbox every car has.
Also, I read up on this as best as I could, they implemented ABS 3 years ago, fans didn't like it, they took it back out and currently there is no ABS not even in GT3 cars.

Traction control has different levels that can be changed on the fly (it's always 6 for all cars though, I think, some GT3 cars have over 10 irl), which I really like, Assetto Corsa has this too(for ABS as well), but pCARS 2 seemingly won't have it, just one setting that can be changed in the garage, which is just... why??? That's such an easy feature, even Gran Turismo Sport will have this change-TC/ABS on the fly in Gr.4 to 1 cars (edit: only TC on the fly, not ABS in GT Sport, sorry, ABS is in the options menu with off/mild/strong).
You are not well informed. You can dial the strength of aids on the fly in PC2. You can also change fuel mix on top of what was possible in PC1 (bars, brake balance, etc.).

No, the principles may be shared, but not the executions. PC1 AI felt always like a threat, elements that were put there not to make my race harder, but my driving. Braking points, deep dives, weird zig-zags when finding a crashed car... it was far from what I'd call immersive or fun. I've not played this new IA more than in this one race, but it felt like a race to me. Some corners they were going slow, but it felt like when I play someone who doesn't know better. They don't feel alien to the race anymore.

About offroad, from what i saw, I think it does, but I can't say for sure since my experience is very limited.

Ah perfect, appreciate the elaboration, thanks!

You are not well informed. You can dial the strength of aids on the fly in PC2. You can also change fuel mix on top of what was possible in PC1 (bars, brake balance, etc.).

But it was YOU who said that there is no on-the-fly adjustability!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=229944998&postcount=59

Well, guess that is old info at this point and I should have asked if this option made it into the game by now, but it really wasn't that long ago.

Edit: Can you also change turbo pressure and engine-brake? Some cars modeled in pCARS2 had this option from the cockpit in real life and some sims give the option.

fresquito

But it was YOU who said that there is no on-the-fly adjustability!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=229944998&postcount=59

Well, guess that is old info at this point and I should have asked if this option made it into the game by now, but it really wasn't that long ago.
Take with a grain of salt, I said :-D

This was when ICM (In Car Management) menu did not exist. You can call pitstops and other things from there. I made a video (in Spanish, but you can see the different screens of the menu, they are in English in this video) about it a while ago. I'm not sure if anything's been changed ever since.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bymAtdP6dRk

Edit: I don't know if such options exist.

Edit: I don't know if such options exist.

Turbo pressure is quite essential for cars like the Lotus 98T or Porsche 935, drivers used to change the pressure multiple times a lap on certain tracks to make the engine last longer and as a kind of cheap "traction control", like short-shifting is used too.

The BMW 2002 hat adjustable turbo pressure even in the consumer level production car in the 70s.

fresquito

Turbo pressure is quite essential for cars like the Lotus 98T or Porsche 935, drivers used to change the pressure multiple times a lap on certain tracks to make the engine last longer and as a kind of cheap "traction control", like short-shifting is used too.

The BMW 2002 hat adjustable turbo pressure even in the consumer level production car in the 70s.
I meant in the game xD

fresquito

You need to explain the problem further, I don't think anyone here is aware of this, myself included.
No, no need. Basically up to a certain patch (1.6?) the lower the camber, the faster the car, no trade off. It was only partially addressed, though.

I think it has been fully addressed in PC2, but I have not tested myself.

No, no need. Basically up to a certain patch (1.6?) the lower the camber, the faster the car, no trade off. It was only partially addressed, though.

I think it has been fully addressed in PC2, but I have not tested myself.

Exactly, no matter the car, no matter the track, no matter what at all, setting the camber to 0.0 was ALWAYS the fastest setting.

Edit: Here's an article on it. I refuse to purchase pcars 2 unless I get a confirmation they have fixed this mess.
https://pretendracecars.net/2016/06/29/with-camber-at-zero-you-will-win-zero/

Fox Mulder

I haven't seen pit stops in videos. Do AI cars still ghost through you?

It ruined races in pcars 1 for me. Kills gaps, but you're still held for a safe release.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Video would be better if they didn't play using the chase cam the entire time.
That's the best cam tho

Man there is some serious aliasing going on in those night racing videos, with something up with the depth of field in the cockpit view too. The textures in the coastal environments are looking pretty awful as well, yeeesh.

fresquito

That's the best cam tho

Man there is some serious aliasing going on in those night racing videos, with something up with the depth of field in the cockpit view too. The textures in the coastal environments are looking pretty awful as well, yeeesh.
That's Helmet cam. You can turn that effect off in options.

coiler

The worst for me in PCars was the on/off tire grip and weird loosing traction after braking- changing the tire load.
Its my only concern tbh going into PCars2.

vsMIC

like a lot that there is the "authentic" driving assist option that mimic the real life car assists. Any other game has that?

that sounds great.

noob question, does pc2 has a time attack mode similar to rivals in forza?

very tempted to skip forza this year and to bet on pc2. dirt rally refocused my view on racing games. sounds like pc2 will be more my racer than forza collecthaton.

fresquito

that sounds great.

noob question, does pc2 has a time attack mode similar to rivals in forza?

very tempted to skip forza this year and to bet on pc2. dirt rally refocused my view on racing games. sounds like pc2 will be more my racer than forza collecthaton.
Closer is Community Events, I guess. Basically a car/track combo with a set of rules and a limited time to dispute. I think you can load ghosts from anybody taking part of the Event.

danowat

Banned
Just watching the GT Sport night footage, and was reminded of a (admittedly small) issue I had with PC1 when driving at night, you couldn't hardly see the headlights of the cars behind in the rear mirrors.

Is that fixed in PC2?

Mascot

Just watching the GT Sport night footage, and was reminded of a (admittedly small) issue I had with PC1 when driving at night, you couldn't hardly see the headlights of the cars behind in the rear mirrors.

Is that fixed in PC2?

I hope so. It looked a little daft in the first game.

Lambos.

So I've picked up a new laptop i7 (6970HQ) with 1060 6GB and 8GB RAM, what are the chances of my getting this to run better than my PS4 Pro? and any hope of VR?

So I've picked up a new laptop i7 (6970HQ) with 1060 6GB and 8GB RAM, what are the chances of my getting this to run better than my PS4 Pro? and any hope of VR?
Considering how cpu dependend pCARS1 was, I'd say really high. A 1060 is in terms of flops similar to a PS4 pro, but everything else is better and you have that much better cpu, also PC is the lead development platform with nvidia as a sponsor.
VR... We'll see.

Top Bottom