• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft Accidentally Announces Assassin's Creed Revelation (Altair Connection?)

Ricker

Loved the first two to death but got annoyed at those place you had to liberate or whatever in Brotherhood,they where hard to do at first and just gave up but i`ll get back into it this year...a new one is always good news,the franchise is great.

Criminal Upper said:
Altair is so garbage in the first game, it was only in ACII where they actually gave him a decent backstory and made him kinda cool.

Ezio 4 lyfe, yo.

Altair had a great back-story in AC.

He was a gifted assassin, the best of them all, but he was arrogant and egotistical. He took the philosophy of the assassin's as an excuse to do whatever the hell he wanted.

His arrogance cost his friends life and limb (literally). His feet were put to the fire, and he was forced to re-learn and embrace the assassin's philosophies. Just as he was reaching epiphany, he learned that the man he looked up to never believed or abided by the philosophies he was preaching.

So he was forced to search for the truth within, set things right, and basically be the biggest badass on earth.

Ezio is a great character in his own right too. Just different.

Gomu Gomu

ChocolateCupcakes said:
4p79t.png

I enlarged it a bit in case anyone knows what it is.
Ugh, you would guess a multi-national dev team, who have worked on a game centered around Arabic history would know that this shit is not how Arabic is written.

edit: Unless it's intentional? I don't know.

Ricker said:
Loved the first two to death but got annoyed at those place you had to liberate or whatever in Brotherhood,they where hard to do at first and just gave up but i`ll get back into it this year...a new one is always good news,the franchise is great.
Wow... You just reminded me that Brotherhood exists. I've played the first two and played brotherhood beta, but I completely forgot that Brotherhood was an entire entity of it's own. Never liked the whole idea of that game to begin with, and beta was only fun when I played with people in my friends list.

Irish

shagg_187 said:
Wow... You just reminded me that Brotherhood exists. I've played the first two and played brotherhood beta, but I completely forgot that Brotherhood was an entire entity of it's own. Never liked the whole idea of that game to begin with, and beta was only fun when I played with people in my friends list.

Wow, Shagg. Go out and play Brotherhood this instant.

shagg_187 said:
Brotherhood is worth it for its awesome single player alone - have yet to touch the multi although I hear its got its good parts.

I hope this time around Ubisoft finally manages to figure out what they want us to do with money and purchased properties. Those are still fledgling systems that don't really satisfy.

Didn't stop me from buying every last thing I could mind you, but I expected more purpose.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I do hope it's about Altair forming the Assassin's, creating the code, and starting the war with the Templars. I just want to go back to the Crusades.

Irish

shagg_187 said:
Beta was fun with you all!! :D <3

Yeah, nobody else (that we play with) really played the MP though, so I never really touched it that much.

The SP portion is huge, so that is where I spent all of my time. It's a lot of fun.

jett

D-Member
Lyphen said:
I do hope it's about Altair forming the Assassin's, creating the code, and starting the war with the Templars. I just want to go back to the Crusades.

We just got a game about a guy reforming the assassins, recreating the code, and restarting war with the templars...how about something different eh. :p

I wouldn't mind entirely going back to Altair. Altair > Ezio.

...but I'd prefer a completely new setting with an all-new cast of characters. Enough with these two.

Zapages

Gomu Gomu said:
Ugh, you would guess a multi-national dev team, who have worked on a game centered around Arabic history would know that this shit is not how Arabic is written.

its more like simplified arabic or urdu... I can read the letters in urdu, but it does not really make any sense. I guess it looks cool type of thing. *shrugs*

The Antitype said:
Altair had a great back-story in AC.

He was a gifted assassin, the best of them all, but he was arrogant and egotistical. He took the philosophy of the assassin's as an excuse to do whatever the hell he wanted.

His arrogance cost his friends life and limb (literally). His feet were put to the fire, and he was forced to re-learn and embrace the assassin's philosophies. Just as he was reaching epiphany, he learned that the man he looked up to never believed or abided by the philosophies he was preaching.

So he was forced to search for the truth within, set things right, and basically be the biggest badass on earth.

Ezio is a great character in his own right too. Just different.
Altair definitely is more interesting than Ezio. Totally agree. But Ezio's story was about how a carefree adolescent transforms into the greatest assassin in Italia. It was pretty good too.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Why would they write Altair's name backwards? There's something fishy here.

Irish said:
Yeah, nobody else (that we play with) really played the MP though, so I never really touched it that much.

The SP portion is huge, so that is where I spent all of my time. It's a lot of fun.

I wanted to play MP, but it seems that Ubisoft has some crappy servers. At least the SP portion compensate it!

Heh. Love how Joystiq is not publishing my comment that the name of the game, logo, etc is already out there cause they don't post take rumors from GAF even though its all taken from the swf.

Juan29.zapata said:
Why would they write Altair's name backwards? There's something fishy here.

English is written left to right. Arabic is written right to left. It's a classic case of marketing team opening Character Map and literally converting English to Arabic, thus not caring about the grammar or the style.

This is how you spell Altair in Arabic: &#1570;&#1604; &#1591;&#1575;&#1607;&#1585;
This is how they have spelled it: &#1585; &#1581; &#1575; &#1579; &#1604; &#1575;

Notice how the characters aren't combined together and spelled seperately, as if they wrote A L T A I R.
This is a very common practice in gaming industry and is noticed in EVERY game where they pretend to be in Middle East. They even mix up the language at times.

Irish

shagg_187 said:
Heh. Love how Joystiq is not publishing my comment that the name of the game, logo, etc is already out there cause they don't post take rumors from GAF even though its all taken from the swf.

Hilarious.

I wonder when GI will put up their cover reveal. I needs ta sees it nowz.

TheOddOne

The Antitype said:
FUCK YES!

I've been wanting another Altair story since the idea of Brotherhood demonstrated that Ubisoft was willing to expand the lore around the ancestors.

I am so excited. So ready to head back to the Crusades!

The follow-up to the original AC is so interesting.

Altair is alone. He has no Assassin clan to help him. The Templars are stronger than they've ever been, now that their enemies have been dispatched.

He's on the run. But he still has a mission.

Imagine an Assassin's Creed game where you're constantly on the run yourself, while you're hunting people down and completing missions. Totally adds a new sense of urgency when you don't have a base of operations to fall back to.
This man speaks to my heart. Bro's for life.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Judging from the dates, it seems to cover Altair's era, and some of Ezio's era too (late 1400s and early 1500s).

//26051512.dat.ark

//24061459.dat.ark

//06111494.dat.ark

//11011165.dat.ark (date of Altair's birth?)

//10091509.dat.ark

//15061511.dat.ark

The animus world is shown as black instead of white too (might also be related to how Altair's name is spelled backward? Black is the opposite of white, etc.).

Amir0x

Banned
Would buy this but hopefully it's a massive improvement over AC1 if it is Altair. I didn't like AC1 at all. AC2 was such a colossal change and improvement that I then became a massive fan (of everything except the abysmal storyline).

green sticker

Neo Member
Amir0x said:
Would buy this but hopefully it's a massive improvement over AC1 if it is Altair. I didn't like AC1 at all. AC2 was such a colossal change and improvement that I then became a massive fan (of everything except the abysmal storyline).

Exactly how I feel, though the improvements they've made to the series would be awesome in the Altair timeline. I fell in love with the setting of the first game, and as much as I loved AC2/Bhood, AC's setting is still my number one favorite of the series.

I wonder if there's anything of substance in the video teaser. I noticed in the beginning some Arabic script flashes, wonder if it says anything important?

Edit: Just noticed someone got a shot of it...

Gomu, what is wrong with the way its written (I know nothing about Arabic)?

Linkup

Gomu Gomu said:

I think you mean Arab history and I'm not sure if being a multi-national dev team means your any more aware or versed in these matters. It's the gaming industry after all and the vast majority of consumers are ignorant about it anyway.

[Nintex]

miladesn said:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/2211095329/p/2
people on ubi forums got the other screens from the video, looks like dates of historic events as usual..
Kinda funny how given Ubisofts history I find the 'OMG it takes place in Russia!' google translation more believable than the actual arabic guy saying that the text is something else.

I wonder if they're going to retcon history again. Henry Ford placed a rubber ducky in Hitler's bathtub that was taken by captain Miller who gave it to Ronald Reagan and Reagan used it to beat the USSR from behind a used car salesmen who happened to be Albert Einstein in disguise...

Irish

I think there is just so much good stuff in AC1 that gets overshadowed by certain elements like mission variety when people remember the first game.

The assassinations themselves have yet to be matched. Everything about them including the lead-up, the targets themselves, the places and events that they took place in, the dialogue with the dying target, and the final escapes were all so awesome.

Irish said:
I think there is just so much good stuff in AC1 that gets overshadowed by certain elements like mission variety when people remember the first game.

The assassinations themselves have yet to be matched. Everything about them including the lead-up, the targets themselves, the places and events that they took place in, the dialogue with the dying target, and the final escapes were all so awesome.

THIS.

I love all three Assassin's Creed games. The original is the only one I've replayed multiple times.

The set-piece assassinations are so well-designed, with so many options of how to approach and escape. I'd love to see that element come back into the series.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Irish said:

The only good assassination mission I recall since AC1 was the one from the E3 demo of AC2 with the flying machine. It was cool going through the festive crowd, up the tower, use the flying machine, arrive as the sun rose at the San Marco Plaza, kill the target in the courtyard (which all looked really nice), and run away. Every other assassinations have been forgettable.

Amir0x

Banned
I love the assassinations in AC2 over AC1 mainly because you had way more badass abilities. Really, the assassinations in both games are what you make of them - you have to be creative to make most of them special imo.

Lesiroth

ChocolateCupcakes said:
4p79t.png

I enlarged it a bit in case anyone knows what it is.
This image is an insult to Arabic language speakers everywhere. I can't even begin to count how many things are wrong with this. What the hell, Ubi? AC1's ingame Arabic was just fine.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Jumping between Ezio and Altair timelines?! Good Scott, that is a fantastic idea and whoever got it to the dev team deserves a raise.

It will be really interesting to see if the assassination techniques, and machine blueprints did exist in Altair's timeline, but since
he was the one to write the codex
, I think that it'll work.

shagg_187 said:
English is written left to right. Arabic is written right to left. It's a classic case of marketing team opening Character Map and literally converting English to Arabic, thus not caring about the grammar or the style.

This is how you spell Altair in Arabic: &#1570;&#1604; &#1591;&#1575;&#1607;&#1585;
This is how they have spelled it: &#1585; &#1581; &#1575; &#1579; &#1604; &#1575;

Notice how the characters aren't combined together and spelled seperately, as if they wrote A L T A I R.
This is a very common practice in gaming industry and is noticed in EVERY game where they pretend to be in Middle East. They even mix up the language at times.

Dammit, then.

I really wanted to believe that there was yet again another conspiracy or something. Oh well.

green sticker

Neo Member
If this does have something to do with Russia, that would be awesome.

Speaking of which, has anyone read the AC: The Fall comics? Wonder if there are any hints there.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
green sticker said:
If this does have something to do with Russia, that would be awesome.

Speaking of which, has anyone read the AC: The Fall comics? Wonder if there are any hints there.

Well they do have said that it's cannon.

I haven't read them, lamentably. My country only imports super heroes comics.

Lesiroth said:
This image is an insult to Arabic language speakers everywhere. I can't even begin to count how many things are wrong with this. What the hell, Ubi? AC1's ingame Arabic was just fine.

LOL I know. Sadly, it's a VERY common practice in gaming.

Here's a more recent example. Battlefield 3.

m4uuK.jpg

The game is set in Iraq. They speak Pashto. Ugh... lol

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
shagg_187 said:

m4uuK.jpg

I don't even speak the language, and now I know I will feel awkward each time I see these kind of writing.

Get it right, for God's sake!

Lesiroth said:
I refuse to believe they can be that dumb. I hope this is the case of them trying to be enigmatic rather than revealing.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
miladesn said:
No, it doesn't have anything to od with Russia, that's google translate fail.

Well, I was referring to the entire IP, not just Revelations. The game might have a hint or two though.

Zeliard

One thing I've always thought was dumb was the change in the sequels when it came to the post-assassination dialogue scenes. They still have the whole Animus/dream world thing but now it's only in the service of Ezio saying like one meaningless line.

What's the point? If you're going to continue the rest of the charade then keep the dialogue, or else do away with the whole thing altogether.

Irish

Zeliard said:
One thing I've always thought was dumb was the change in the sequels when it came to the post-assassination dialogue scenes. They still have the whole Animus/dream world thing but now it's only in the service of Ezio saying like one meaningless line.

What's the point? If you're going to continue the rest of the charade then keep the dialogue, or else do away with the whole thing altogether.

Yeah, that was really annoying. If they aren't going to do the whole back and forth, there really is no point into taking the player out of the world at all.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Irish said:
Yeah, that was really annoying. If they aren't going to do the whole back and forth, there really is no point into taking the player out of the world at all.

But I like the world falling apart effect:(

Irish

Hey, I like the effect as well, but if it is only going to be used so Ezio can say 'Rest in Peace,' I'd rather they not use it at all.

Also, Altair being reverent towards his victims made sense to me because he was only killing because he was ordered to, but Ezio was doing it strictly for revenge and held a lot of animosity towards his victims. I think it was something that was carried over 'just because.'

Lesiroth

shagg_187 said:

m4uuK.jpg

And what's written in Arabic is just what's written above in English jammed into a translator.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Juan29.zapata said:
I don't even speak the language, and now I know I will feel awkward each time I see these kind of writing.

Get it right, for God's sake!

It's mind-boggling why such heavily-funded teams don't simply hire a translator.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ubisoft seems to be doing business with some third party for this marketing thing, and Ubisoft has plenty of experience in localization and there were no problems with the Arabic text before, so I doubt its their fault really. They even have a studio in Morocco.

Top Bottom