• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the best JRPG that most people don't know about?

Mozendo

I don't think it even got an EU release because Atlus

Bear in mind that a lot of gaffers aren't NA-based though.d.

That doesn't mean Europeans are oblivious to what's popular in North America. All you needed to do was be a part of a well known or a gaming community with a decent size to know that Radiant Historia wasn't some hidden gem and it was the RPG to get because of how constantly it was being praised. Kotaku, Destructoid, Siliconera Gamespot, IGN, etc various sites made articles or forum users like here on GAF made tthreads on how the game was so popular it needed to be reprinted.

Qwark

Mine is Legend of Legaia, sooo good. The fighting-like combo combat system was so satisfying. There was a sequel, but it was pretty mediocre. It's a Sony IP, so I'd like to see it revived, I think it could work well on mobile.

Legend of Legaia 2!!?

Surely I'm not the only one to have played this classic!

I second this. Loved that game.

You guys ever play the first one? It's loads better, imo.

Rad-

From a quick glance, most of the games I loved and played have been listed already, Though there was a PS1 rpg that I absolutely loved and it had multiplayer.

1558294-fileblaze_and_blade___eternal_quest_coverart.png

Blaze and Blade.

Yeah this game was really fun in co-op.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I think I remember hearing Blaze and Blade a LONG time ago, forgot about it then when Mount and Blade (PC game) started getting popular I confused the 2. Didn't know it even got an English (Euro-only?) release.

Heyasuki

Xenosaga, Shin Megami Tensei, Valkyrie Profile, Grandia, Breath of Fire, Shadow Hearts, Radiant Historia... I mean what is an "obscure" J RPG at this point. Every J RPG seems to be "obscure" since it's a niche genre. But really those are.... "classics" for me. (With maybe the exception of Radiant Historia since it's more recent but i see it quoted everytime someone talk about DS's library and especially RPG as THE best J RPG of the console, not exactly a hidden gem, even Contact would fit the bill better and i'm sure it's not really obscure).... Nah, the reality is i don't know what game could qualified as "obscure" either.

Like the one i could talk about is Mother 3 because he never came out of Japan but with Lucas in Smash, it may not be as obscure as we think.... But this is one of the best J RPG i have ever played, without a doubt !

I could talk about Rudora No Hihou which i deeply liked at the time (one of my first J RPG mind you), but with a lot of twist and the idea of those 3 scenario which interact with each other is really cool), but like all J RPG in SNES, it's very likely that anyone knowing the SNES library knows about this game.... But people prefer to talk about other RPGs... (But i'm actually very happy stuff like Terranigma seems to have the success it deserves)

Maybe we can talk about Baroque on Wii/PS2 ? I feel like everyone knew about this game at some point but now, i don't see any mention about it anymore. It's a very interesting D-RPG with a very neat atmosphere. The remake was translated in English but not the original version which was even creepier unfortunatly.

What else... Someone talked about Metal Saga, it's actually the follow up of the Metal Max series, i only played the "Metal Max Returns" version on SNES since it was translated and it's quite original since you don't really have a "aim" other that killing all those wanted people.

I could talk about Legend of Heroes V : Song of the Ocean, because it was really badly written in English with a very uninteresting remake on PSP, the whole Garghav Trilogy don't appear pretty to our eyes. But i feel like it's the best one out of the three even with all those problems, the engine run better, the characters are more interesting and the way it connect the story of LOH3 and LOH4 is really neat. I think a lot of people "know" it exists but i don't think many played it. (Since you will have to play the 3 and 4 before... And i actually think the third one is really boring but i liked the fourth)

There is a lot of other stuff, what about Mystic Ark in SNES which is a blend between J RPG and point & click adventure ? It has a mystical feel to it... It was a chore to translate too !

I could talk about Live A Live with the fact you can chose 7 different scenario made by totally different people before unlocking the last one... It's very original and a deeply engaging experience for me but surely, everyone know about that game, right ?
I don't even know anymore what is an obscure RPG or not... The other day someone told me Suikoden was obscure... Come on, Suikoden is a huge classic right ?

I tried playing Mother 3 but I honestly couldn't get into it's battle system. Legend of Heroes: Garghav Trilogy it's such a sad tale that we couldn't just play the original games and have a decent localization! sigh.... One day I'll be decent enough at Japanese to just play the originals. I love Falcom from the bottom of my heart!

Live A Live and Mystic Ark both sound awesome, adding them to my list ^__^

Muffdraul

I came in here to see if Baroque was mentioned. I only knew of it because The GIA once did a write up about it, back when it was only a Saturn/PSX JP release. I really wanted to play it back then, I had no idea it was ported. Sorry to hear the ports were altered/toned down. I learn something new every day.

Niahak

I came in here to see if Baroque was mentioned. I only knew of it because The GIA once did a write up about it, back when it was only a Saturn/PSX JP release. I really wanted to play it back then, I had no idea it was ported. Sorry to hear the ports were altered/toned down. I learn something new every day.

It's definitely worth experiencing the newer version.

The very first release is really difficult by comparison (it doesn't even have an item storage system). Tone-wise it's darker and the forced first-person perspective also adds atmosphere, but the plot is pretty much unchanged IIRC (didn't get very far in the original). I actually prefer the newer version. Wii/PS2 Baroque's still pretty intense (if much less difficult) to play on Easy, so I really appreciate that as I would rather beat the game in a dozen hours than have to grind like crazy to experience the story.

But then, I didn't read any resources on the game until I had played for a few hours, so I didn't know how to save my equipment between runs. Whoops.

For those more curious about Baroque...

Sting still has a huge repository of pages on each version of the game (e.g. character page for PS1 ver) including some side stories / prequel stories. All Japanese, and some are images so google translate won't get you everything. Even though I prefer the Wii/PS2 version, I prefer the original character designs.

There's a Baroque manga (same guy that did the original Persona 1 manga) with a scanlation out there (suppose I should disclaimer, I worked on it once upon a time).

There is also a JPN-only VN that takes place a little before the Great Blaze, although there aren't many familiar faces from the game. Both the VN and the original PS1 version are purchasable on the Japan PSN for play on PS3/Vita, if you're really feeling dedicated. There are newer mobile phone games that I'm not familiar with - apparently Baroque was ported to iOS? That's pretty crazy.

bradido

One of my favorite SPRGs – Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume. It keeps the common Valkyrie Profile system of having to sacrifice characters but it feels so much more impactful in this game.

Covenant_of_the_Plume.jpg

Strings

One of my favorite SPRGs – Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume. It keeps the common Valkyrie Profile system of having to sacrifice characters but it feels so much more impactful in this game.

Covenant_of_the_Plume.jpg

Game peaks immediately with its opening line :p

"And so begins a tale,
Of Vengeance and betrayal.
Destiny by sinner sought,
Tragedy by power wrought."

As a huge SRPG fan, I really wanted to like it, but it just feels like everything new they tried to do with the genre was more frustrating than anything else >.<

Top Bottom