• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest VIII 3DS - review thread

Rpgmonkey

Reviewing better than I figured it would.

8 isn't a top 5 DQ for me (I agree that the story concepts and cast felt more inventive in previous DQs, and it's not really my favorite gameplay-wise) but it's been so long since I've played it and the changes and tweaks look pretty cool, so this is one of the rare games I'm getting on day one.

Ridley327

So, what are the major changes between the PS2 version and this one?

And would I be better served running my copy on the PS2 emulator with some graphical changes?

-two additional playable characters, one of which has been integrated into the game's plot
-additional scenarios, including a new ending option
-various QOL improvements, including a fast forward option in combat and the alchemy pot being instant
-visible monster encounters on the field to replace random encounters

For my money, the hit on the overall graphics and going back to the original MIDI for the soundtrack are really small prices to pay for a better playing game.

sensui-tomo

So, what are the major changes between the PS2 version and this one?

And would I be better served running my copy on the PS2 emulator with some graphical changes?

2 new party members (1 side character and 1 more important side character from the original), new story plot, new ending, monsters on screen instead of random battles, speed up battle option, something with the monster arena i believe? That may be it but i'm not sure. Obviously the graphics are worse due to ps2-> 3ds, music is midi vs orchestral(original western) but i was told the original western orchestral version had an issue where-as the 3ds japanese version is better? so its more a do you want a meetier version(3ds) or a prettier version(emulation).

The world design, story, pacing, character development, and amount of secrets and hidden adventures. DQVII is an extremely linear game compared to this.

I found DQVII to be the much better game (I've only played the original PS1 version of that mind you). DQVIII suffers from the same problem as most level 5 games. Beautiful looking games that lack in depth. The job system was far more fun than the system in DQVIII. In fact I would even say VIII is broken to a degree. I used up all my points near the end of the game and didn't invest in the executioner skill so grinding metal slimes became near impossible. Not to mention DQVII is the far meatier game in terms of content.

kromeo

The visible encounters were kind of a mixed blessing in 7, they worked well on the world map but in dungeons it was almost impossible to actually dodge any of them like you could in 9, and it seemed to like having another enemy appear right in front of you as soon as you get out of battle

Joey Ravn

Banned
Holy shit, I completely forgot this was coming out this month. I don't know why but I thought it was due in Feb. or March!

I still have V, VI and VII to catch up before playing this one, but I pre-ordered it on Amazon ages ago, so I may as well get it now and play it later.

Scrawnton

The visible encounters were kind of a mixed blessing in 7, they worked well on the world map but in dungeons it was almost impossible to actually dodge any of them like you could in 9, and it seemed to like having another enemy appear right in front of you as soon as you get out of battle
Not to mention every time you enter your menu an enemy spawns on you and you have to battle it the moment you leave the menu.

8s and 9s, that's my boy! Was worried the downgraded graphics would hurt the scores more

I love this game. Chrono Trigger was kind of a marriage between FF and DQ, right? DQVIII makes me wonder what a game that combined Zelda and DQ could be like

kswiston

See this is why I'm skeptical when people say VIII is still worth picking up.

List 4-5 of your favourite JRPGs.

No one can guarantee that you will like a game, but we can at least tell you whether DQ8 is more or less similar to your favourite titles than DQ7 was.

Amalthea

Banned
I didn't know that the photo feature was tied to actual quests. Sounds fun, but even if it didn't:

Pa8Lhuz.jpg

tanuki

I remember how amazing the music was on the PS2 with the real orchestra playing. Shame they didn't port that over.

kswiston

It's 20 hours shorter than DQ7, approximatively.
I completed DQ7 in 75h to give an idea.

howlongtobeat.com has 146 completion times for Dragon Quest VIII on PS2, and only 9 of them are under 60 hours. It's not a short game, even if it is shorter than the PS1 version of DQ7.

I don't know how much the pace was changed in the 3DS version though.

Scrawnton

howlongtobeat.com has 146 completion times for Dragon Quest VIII on PS2, and only 9 of them are under 60 hours. It's not a short game, even if it is shorter than the PS1 version of DQ7.

I don't know how much the pace was changed in the 3DS version though.
Lowering load times and battle speed while also getting rid of random battles could easily shave off ten hours if not more.

kswiston

Yeah, a lot of those completion times are probably bloated due to grinding needlessly.

Some no doubt were. However, when you have close to 150 people reporting their playtimes, and well over 90% are saying 60 hours plus, a random person playing the game for the first time should probably expect 60 hours plus. Not 40 hours, or whatever time Aeana finished the game in :p

Hopefully the 3DS version does speed some things up a bit though. The 3DS version of DQ7 was quite a bit shorter than the original looking at average playthroughs.

Oxx

I have it ordered despite it being highly unlikely that I will be close to finishing DQ7 by the time it releases.

Some no doubt were. However, when you have close to 150 people reporting their playtimes, and well over 90% are saying 60 hours plus, a random person playing the game for the first time should probably expect 60 hours plus. Not 40 hours, or whatever time Aeana finished the game in :p

Hopefully the 3DS version does speed some things up a bit though. The 3DS version of DQ7 was quite a bit shorter than the original looking at average playthroughs.

I dunno, still seems a bit long to me. Does that site go by the credit finish? 60 hours sounds more reasonable if they're counting all the post game content too.

kswiston

I dunno, still seems a bit long to me. Does that site go by the credit finish? 60 hours sounds more reasonable if they're counting all the post game content too.

You can submit times for Main Story, Main Story + Extras, and Completionist. Main story is supposed to be to the credits. You can view all of the individual submissions and their notes.

If it seems long, you were probably just really fast. Average time was 87 hours across all 3 play styles. Median time for the Main story only was 70 hours.

Anoxida

High scores, not suprising though. It's one of the best jrpgs of all time. I had high hopes for 7 but it ended up being s a massive dissapointment. If you didnt like 7 I would still give this one a chance, it's excellent. While DQ is an old school series this game is suprisingly very progressive.. the world was actually quite groundbreaking for a jrpg when released and it holds up very well.

Emitan

7 hate doesn't surprise me, but it makes me sad. I love DQ8, but DQ7 is extremely special too. The stories in that game are among the best in the entire series.

Honestly, the series is so consistent though that any opinion that says one game is dramatically better than the others is strange to me, unless spectacle (audio/visual) quality is really the most important thing.

I'm 20 hours into DQVII and my biggest issues are that it took around 15 hours to even see the hints of the main plot and it took me 18 hours to even unlock the class system. I'm enjoying it but I wish it was much shorter. DQVIII's pacing is a lot more appealing to me.

Sakujou

Banned
i want to read a comparison.

i heard there is no 3d, the graphics look so much worse (a lot of details missing, graphics downgrade in general?) than on ps2, the sound is worse and the dialogue changed?

i hope someone knows something about this.

Dragon Quest Builders was my first DQ-game and this will be my first game in the mainline series. Looking forward to it. I usually play one giant RPG a year so this should do it for 2017.

DQVII hate is strong in this thread. Doesn't surprise me but it makes me sad as well. I get though -- like VI, it's just not a popular or accessible style of DQ. They're my favourites.

Happy to see VIII reviewing well. I hope this game doesn't completely tank. Buy it pls.

This game is so much different from 7. 7 is drastically different from every other game in the series. I bet you'd like 8.
VI is extremely similar to VII.

Anoxida

VII was the best game of 2016, it might just be you.

Different opinions man. Loved 4-5 and 8. Personally 7 is a 4/10 game to me (5 being mediocre on my scale). Not surprised about the hate at all. Apart for two three standout vignettes I didnt like it at all. They managed somehow to make a system worse than random encounters.. not sure how thats even possible but they did. Bland cast and story. Just a slog from beginning to end.

Edit: sorry loved 4-5 and 8. 6 was good but not amazing. Changed it.

DQVII hate is strong in this thread. Doesn't surprise me but it makes me sad as well. I get though -- like VI, it's just not a popular or accessible style of DQ. They're my favourites.

Happy to see VIII reviewing well. I hope this game doesn't completely tank. Buy it pls.

I'm on the same page as you. VII is my personal favorite. Amazing game. Shame so much hate in this thread.

I played a little bit of this when it came out on PS2 but didn't get very far. I'd be amazed if I liked it more than VII, especially as it seems to take a more traditional approach. VII turned out to be one of my favourite JRPGs which was a really pleasant surprise.

Sakujou

Banned

i bought dq8 day1 on ps2, i just want to see if its more of a downgrade or if the portable version is worth buying.
there is no hate.

Adamator

This is exactly me. I have 50 hours into DQVII, not close to finishing it. I'm also shiny hunting Bagons in Pokemon Moon and training my team so yeah... I'll buy DQVIII day one but who knows when I'll get to it.

I'm working on VII and really love it and I keep hearing how long it is. Is it really as long as they say just for the MAIN STORY? I'll probably stop after that is finished. Got far too many games already. Dragon quest VIII is the least of my worries to finish. I got all 3 versions of FE Fates still! Ugh.

And as someone mentioned. The Switch is coming.

First world problems....

Vinc

Gonna be a long time before I play this, but I'm getting it on day one forthe Amazon Prime discount! I'm really looking forward to it, though I still need to start DQVII

Ray Down

Banned
I'm working on VII and really love it and I keep hearing how long it is. Is it really as long as they say just for the MAIN STORY? I'll probably stop after that is finished. Got far too many games already. Dragon quest VIII is the least of my worries to finish. I got all 3 versions of FE Fates still! Ugh.

And as someone mentioned. The Switch is coming.

First world problems....

It can easily be a 70 hours, DQ7 is a HUGE game.

Top Bottom