• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"3DS has a long life in front of it. They’re going to coexist just fine." - Reggie

Muzicfreq

Banned
Called it after the line up and price were revealed. This is console games on the go. Nintendo is going to support the 3DS till it starts to lose sales.

Removing it from the debacle of the Switch. It's quite amazing that it's still selling very well after 5 years and the supposed death of handhelds.
Funny enough that this is what the vita attempted... We saw how well that went. People on the go want more a pick up and play and not be super tied down

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
If the Switch bombs, I would expect them to release a handheld only Switch Mini at $200 (with a different name). And they would say it's the 3DS successor.

I fully expect them to release a Switch Mini if the Switch SUCCEEDS.

If it bombs, they might go back to the drawing board and create a different portable.

Crub

If DS wasn't the hit it was they would have kept Gameboy around for longer.

The same is true the opposite scenario: if Switch flops, 3DS will linger.

Apathy

Translation: If Japan doesn't pick up the switch, we're going to be milking the 3ds cow till it dies of exhaustion.

dickroach

it better not.
all of nintendo's developers better be working on switch shit NOW. the most exciting thing about the hybrid speculation for the last two years was all of their resources going into one system's games.

MicH

This is clearly evident in the many 3DS games they gave coming in the future. Wait...

The 3DS lineup says everything about the state of this system

Aaron

it better not.
all of nintendo's developers better be working on switch shit NOW. the most exciting thing about the hybrid speculation for the last two years was all of their resources going into one system's games.
Should be obvious from their presentation that this isn't how Nintendo views the Switch. We might have all wanted a hybrid, but they weren't willing to combine their two markets. Switch is a console with an 'on the go' novelty like the Wii had motion controls, and the Wii U had... whatever it had.

Loco4Coco

I really love playing on my 3ds but I hope they just move on from it and develop stuff exclusively for the Switch. Didn't they say they have a pokemon game in the works for the Switch?

NimbusD

Funny enough that this is what the vita attempted... We saw how well that went. People on the go want more a pick up and play and not be super tied down
Which is why this has more potential as it comes with the dock as a default. But Nintendo really needs to take advantage of both aspects otherwise they'll end up with another Wii u where everyone ignores the unique features within a year and it becomes like any other console except compromised graphically and monetarily for those unique elements that no one uses.

Seriously, can't they just admit it's their next thing and CUT the 3DS ? What about LONG TERM Nintendo ?

The problem is how Vita attempted it. The game library was dire.

D i Z

If the Switch doesn't take off, they're going to need a backup plan. I don't think the Switch has a prayer of outselling the 3DS this year. It might not outsell it next year either.

Software sales won't even be close.

Nintendo needs the 3DS to prop up the Switch for a couple more years. If the Switch finds a market, and the 3DS market moves to that product - fantastic. The plan worked perfectly.

But if the Switch doesn't find a market, or if it only finds Wii U market, then Nintendo will need the 3DS again.

Oersted

I really love playing on my 3ds but I hope they just move on from it and develop stuff exclusively for the Switch. Didn't they say they have a pokemon game in the works for the Switch?

The Pokemon Company CEO said they are working on titles for Switch.

MVCK previously leaked Game Freak is working on a Nintendo Switch. Game Freak exlusively develops mainline Pokemon titles so far.

A few months later a third version of Pokemon Sun & Moon, codename Pokemon Stars, was leaked and confirmed by multiple insiders.

Seriously, can't they just admit it's their next thing and CUT the 3DS ? What about LONG TERM Nintendo ?

Ghost pls

You were always overly critical of Nintendo, but I always considered you as someone who can read.

Switch IS their next thing. Nothing to admit there.

bomblord1

Banned
1hnu8k.jpg

Loco4Coco

MVCK previously leaked Game Freak is working on a Nintendo Switch. Game Freak exlusively develops mainline Pokemon titles so far.

A few months later a third version of Pokemon Sun & Moon, codename Pokemon Stars, was leaked and confirmed by multiple insiders.

If its a mainline pokemon game then the 3ds is dead.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
3DS was badly dated at launch but whatevs, it took awhile but did become a pretty cool system. Maybe Bamco can milk a third Project X Zone game outta it yet?!

Pokkén Tournament: Round 2 >.>

Could be a Tembo port to make up for that game missing the U! They do occasionally make other games ya know!

DrArchon

"There are still some games coming out on the 3DS unlike the Wii U, so keep buying them please!"

Seriously, the moment Monster Hunter XX drops ion Japan, they're done with the system. Had a good life at least.

Oersted

3DS was badly dated at launch but whatevs, it took awhile but did become a pretty cool system. Maybe Bamco can milk a third Project X Zone game outta it yet?!

Pokkén Tournament: Round 2 >.>

Could be a Tembo port to make up for that game missing the U! They do occasionally make other games ya know!

Pokken was Bandai Namco and I don't think the Pokemon CEO sees outsourced titles as "we are working on them". He never did.

Nilaul

"The 3DS will be supported with 1 game per year until we release a redesigned, cheaper and portable only switch."

Agent X

The difference this time is the price gap between 3DS and Switch. It's going to be a while before Switch will be a low enough price to fully replace 3DS, right?

That's how I see it, too. The 3DS needs to exist a little while longer to hold up the low end of the market. It (or the 2DS at $80 or under) would serve as a good "cheap" portable machine for children or casual gamers who might only play one or two games here or there. A $300 system with (initially) a sparse game selection isn't going to be the first choice for those people.

Game support will obviously slow down but I don't think this is a new DS-GBA situation here.
DS launch price was $150 while Switch is $300 (in competition to a $80 2DS). That's not really a pricepoint where parents will mass buy it for their kids when the new Pokémon game comes out.

Good comparison. The DS supplanted the GBA much quicker because it was a lot closer in price. The fact that the DS (early models) could play the existing GBA games also helped.

I expect the 3DS to eventually get replaced by a cheaper produced "entry-level" Switch model that is lower priced.

I agree. You might eventually see a "Switch Pocket" that's smaller and maybe ditches one or two non-essential features, which would be like the relationship between the 2DS and 3DS. By that time, the Switch game library should be more robust as well. When you can sell a machine like that for under $200 (preferably $150), then it could move into a position to fully replace the 3DS/2DS.

I'm glad I got a chance to get an N3DS non-XL, it's a really nice and nice-looking system. One of my favourite Nintendo products ever and there's still a massive back catalogue to explore. Too bad it's the last of its kind.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I just got a New 3DS (non-XL) a few weeks ago, and it's a great little machine. Since I didn't own either a 3DS or DS previously, both of those game libraries represent a significant back catalog that I haven't tapped.

Hale-XF11

I sometimes forget that I still own a 3DS. I'd be shocked if anything new came out this year that I actually want for it.

Dominator

Please no. I will not be able to play a game that looks great on the Switch comfortably in my bed, and then go to a 3DS that has those shitty screens.

//ARCANUM

You know, if Nintendo is so firm that Switch is a console first and not supposed to be viewed as a portable, why the hell did their first trailer for it have an ~80% focus on using it on the go? Did they change their plan in the last couple of months?

Skeletos311

It's pretty obvious that 3DS is on its way out. You got DQVIII and Yoshi before the Switch comes out and then what? Ever Oasis? We haven't even seen that game since E3, so who knows. Maybe MHXX will make it here, but you never know with Capcom and MH.

You know, if Nintendo is so firm that Switch is a console first and not supposed to be viewed as a portable, why the hell did their first trailer for it have an ~80% focus on using it on the go? Did they change their plan in the last couple of months?

No. This is just marketing talk.

Nintendo doesn't really seem to have anything in the pipeline in terms of first party games for the 3DS. There are still some big third party games coming to it, though (like Monster Hunter in March in Japan) so calling it dead would be a bad idea right now.

I could see Nintendo pushing the narrative of the 3DS complementing the Switch until they can get a much smaller and cheaper version of the Switch out on the market that stays in the same ecosystem..or until Pokémon is announced. At that point they won't be able to hide from the fact that the Switch brand is probably replacing both lines.

Alebrije

They will keep alive if the Switch ends as a fiasco. That's why they are selling Switch as home console and no a mobile device

orioto

Good Art™
There is still something weird about that for me.

Everyone thinks they are protecting the 3ds but.. it makes no sense.

Let's say the Switch is indeed a 3ds successor. It's hurting its perception do let a blur about how it will be supported.

I'd like someone to ask the good question to Reggie. "Ok, 3ds is not dead we get it, but will the Switch have sequels to 3ds games ?

psyfi

Banned
No. This is just marketing talk.

Nintendo doesn't really seem to have anything in the pipeline in terms of first party games for the 3DS. There are still some big third party games coming to it, though (like Monster Hunter in March in Japan) so calling it dead would be a bad idea right now.

I could see Nintendo pushing the narrative of the 3DS complementing the Switch until they can get a much smaller and cheaper version of the Switch out on the market that stays in the same ecosystem..or until Pokémon is announced. At that point they won't be able to hide from the fact that the Switch brand is probably replacing both lines.
Pretty much.

orioto

Good Art™
To me the fact that the Bravely Default team is making a new game for Switch and not 3DS is pretty telling.

Yeah but the really niche graphic style of that game makes me think it'll be something small. You don't do a full rpg with a long story mode with that art style i think..

Kathian

Banned

Yup! I dont get the point of this thing now. Why not just put the money into a powerful system that plugs directly to the TV.

A system built around being portable should have software which takes advantage of this.

Loco4Coco

How do we feel if it's on both?
I would think the Switch version would sell more considering a lot of people are wanting a HD mainline pokemon game for a awhile now. Also think GameFreak wouldn't divide the user base buy putting the game on two different consoles with no way to interact with each other.

LordOfChaos

"1080p, check that box"
-Reggie on the Wii U

DS will be the third pillar, yada yada.

Watch what they do, not what they say.

Top Bottom