• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Syrenne McNulty, Switch Dev, gives wrong details on NS, Joycon, VC and more

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
The one thing I take from this thread is that really anyone can develop games for Nintendo platforms judging by Youtube videos of Syrenne McNulty's games for the Wii U and 3DS. The Metacritic score of 37 points looks too kind. I'd have wanted my money back if I'd paid $2.

MuchoMalo

Banned
So, the high launch price is an early adopter's tax. That's fair. I'm sure others might disagree, but I think GAF is a bit spoiled and has started to believe that gamers are entitled to being sold consoles at a loss.

IMO, all that matters is that the price actually gets cut.

In before I get called a fanboy for this. Sorry, buit it doesn't make business sense for Nintendo to sell at a loss after Wii U.

I thought her most interesting comment was about Sega shunning VC because Nintendo controls what they can put in the shop, unlike Valve with Steam. If that is true, I hope Ninty changes that policy at least somewhat to facilitate pubs getting their games up for sale.

Brofield

Welp, there goes pocket rocket league.

I haven't played in a while, but does RL use analog triggers?

Christ I hope Nintendo makes updated Joycons with analog triggers. Sure, if it's tournament everyone will have their own controller, but for casual eight player local multi you should be able to use a single JoyCon for playing

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The one thing I take from this thread is that really anyone can develop games for Nintendo platforms judging by Youtube videos of Syrenne McNulty's games for the Wii U and 3DS. The Metacritic score of 37 points looks too kind. I'd have wanted my money back if I'd paid $2.

Have a hard time believing that she has a Switch devkit now.

13ruce

Banned
So, the high launch price is an early adopter's tax. That's fair. I'm sure others might disagree, but I think GAF is a bit spoiled and has started to believe that gamers are entitled to being sold consoles at a loss.

Yeah i realise this also because of their fiscal year ending soon and they promised new hardware this fiscal year to investors.

During the holidays and black friday game pack ins and a 50$€ price cut/sale should be expected.

Imagine if they did not develop a version of BotW for Switch... System would be dead on arrival then, now it atleast can sell decently and take off during the holiday season if Nintendo does not fuck it up.

ronin_cse

Neo Member
I understand that the Wii U was sold at a loss at release, but really Nintendo couldn't get those costs down over the life of the console?

Kouriozan

-the free game a month is exactly like PS+. As long as you download within that free month it's yours to keep as long as you're subscribed.

W-what? So much conflicting reports.
We can't really have a clear answer on this? Nintendo bringing confusion about their newest hardware yet again?!

W-what? So much conflicting reports.
We can't really have a clear answer on this? Nintendo bringing confusion about their newest hardware yet again?!

There is a clear answer. There's no confusion or conflict, only denial.

Nintendo’s online service for Switch will charge a monthly fee and one of the incentives is one free classic game “per month.” Does that mean you lose access to that game after a month?

Reggie Fils-Aime: Correct. It means that essentially you’ve got access to that game for a period of time, and then after the month there’s a new selection. You’ll have the opportunity to buy it, but [after] that month we’ve moved on to another game.

Linkup

-Motion tech is on par with Oculus Touch and Vive controllers. Very accurate. Way better than Wii motion plus and PS Move controllers.

What? Last I checked they were just using the typical stuff along with a slightly bigger/better magnetometer, which isn't anywhere near as good as Touch/Vive controllers.

maxcriden

I'm really curious to see what the final details will be on the first part. Even if it's a "rental" now, there's plenty of time for them to change their stance.

As for the second part, I think she just meant that she thinks the market is small for updating classic games with online play. I'd have to agree with her here. I don't think adding online to Super Mario Kart will lead to a large and consistent online community.

Ah, I see, thank you. I wonder though if Nintendo will bother supporting the VC game of choice beyond the initial month. Hmm. I also thought I read somewhere that some games will have free MP; did you see anything like that anywhere by chance?

hatchx

Banned
I haven't played in a while, but does RL use analog triggers?

Christ I hope Nintendo makes updated Joycons with analog triggers. Sure, if it's tournament everyone will have their own controller, but for casual eight player local multi you should be able to use a single JoyCon for playing

I doubt the SR and SL would ever be analog. Seems needless.

The actual Joy-Con RL though, it's a little disappointing it's digital. Racing and driving games exist, Nintendo. Can't add that much to the cost to include.

Xater

What? Last I checked they were just using the typical stuff along with a slightly bigger/better magnetometer, which isn't anywhere near as good as Touch/Vive controllers.

There is a lot if bullshit in the OP. I am surprised this gas not been closed yet.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Have a hard time believing that she has a Switch devkit now.

Really. It seems like another indie who tries to get some awareness on the back of the Switch release.

Ah, look. More disinformation. This is stupid or intentional at this point.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Well stuff like how much the Wii U cost to build. How would she know that?

That was obviously made up. I think her motion controls comparisons is made up as well. And then there were those comments about analog buttons and the monthly free games. Better to close this thread like a poster suggested. If she was a Neogaf poster pretending to be an insider she'd have been banned.

The part about Nintendo choosing the NES/SNES monthly game because of the online play is really nice. I know they already said the games would have online features, but I hadn't connected the dots and realized it meant full-on online multi with all subscribers as the player pool. That's pretty great and that would be appealing enough in itself. No need to lock all online play behind a paywall for more casual online players who may play one or two online games every once in a while.

If legitimate, I'm curious to how she got a dev kit. When I recently checked, the dev portal and access to any kind of SDK or dev kits are not openly available yet. The only way as of right now is through special arrangement with Nintendo.

The few indie games that have been announced either have a publisher backing them (Binding of Issac, Redout, etc.) or have been a highly supportive eShop developer (Shin'en).

Myself and a few other devs on here are interested in dev kits but cannot get general access as of now, that is why I bring this up.

I'm not sure what is hard to parse? He is asked, directly, do you lose access to the game and his response is "Correct". It's not so much that he has trouble communicating, it's that he is often asked to put lipstick on a pig and try and spin some backwards ass NoJ policies into some kind of a positive, see also the whole "Who wants to carry bulky headphones in their bag" thing regarding the online voice chat app.

It's not clear because it sounds like it could mean it's like PS+ where you can't download the game for free once the new games are put up the next month but can still play the ones you downloaded during the free period.

The chat app is the same deal. If he's talking strictly about when you're outside the house he's right, a lot of people may prefer to use their phone rather that having to carry a separate headset but it's not clear that he means it's the only option available. A lot of the time it's not clear that even he knows the real answer so he's just trying to wing it.

Spinluck

The fact that a registered developer either still doesn't have correct or full information about the platform they're developing for reflects so poorly on Nintendo's ability to communicate properly. What a clusterfuck.

Yeah it's Nintendo's fault that she's spreading misinformation.

Even though some of the info she got wrong is already out there for the public. Needless to say, Nintendo hasn't done the greatest job either.

Coffinhal

In before I get called a fanboy for this. Sorry, buit it doesn't make business sense for Nintendo to sell at a loss after Wii U.

Doesn't make "business sense" to enter a market with an overpriced product and a low software offer neither.

Jyrii

Banned
It's not clear because it sounds like it could mean it's like PS+ where you can't download the game for free once the new games are put up the next month but can still play the ones you downloaded during the free period.

They really need to fire their PR if that is the case. From Nintendo's own site (http://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/)

Monthly game download
Subscribers will get to download and play a Nintendo Entertainment System™ (NES) or Super Nintendo Entertainment System™ (Super NES) game (with newly-added online play) for free for a month.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Check out Syrenne McNulty (@Sycoraxic98): https://twitter.com/Sycoraxic98?s=09

https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/43976/episode-505-switchmas-presents

Timestamp is around 1:00h when she joins the podcast.

Syrenne is a registered Nintendo developer who's working on Monochrono for the Switch and Wii U.

She makes appearances on the RFN podcast sometimes and always gives some behind the scenes insight at Nintendo or the Japanese gaming industry.

While she's still under NDA and can't talk too much about technical specifications she did give some juicy tidbits that I thought were interesting.

I'm going to paraphrase for the people who just want a written version of what happened.

On Joy-con's

-Lots of tech

-HD rumble is the real deal. The bottom of the joycon will vibrate if an ice cube hits the bottom of the glass. And a full glass of ice cubes will make the top of the joycon rumble. Like the joycon becomes the glass. Basically the rumble can vibrate at different intensities but also at different locations instead of being one giant motor.

-IR pointer is great. It would be difficult to make Wii BC games work with it but not impossible.

-Comfortable to hold while separated and joined together. It doesn't look ergonomic but they fit in hands naturally.

-Motion tech is on par with Oculus Touch and Vive controllers. Very accurate. Way better than Wii motion plus and PS Move controllers.

-it detects subtle movements.

Switch Pro Controller

Developing for Switch

MyNintendo and Virtual Console

Online subscription

Why VC sucks on Wii U

Edit: I'm still listening to the podcast. Some more interesting tidbits.

Wii U never made money

Dock

Interesting comments about the accuracy of motion controls. I do wonder how they fight drift though (accuracy wise PS Move was already really accurate). Unless the console can provide a stable reference point for them, you would still need to reset their position often if you want to do any kind of 1:1 motion tracking.

sirap

Looks like some of that Xbone SecretSauce™ made it to the joy-con's motion tech.

( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)

A game console isn't like a phone in that it has immediate value and functionality out of the box. You need to buy $60 games for it, which don't cost anything to reproduce. The fact the Switch is already set up for (multiple) price cuts and has extremely expensive accessories/controllers should tell you it's overpriced.

They really need to fire their PR if that is the case. From Nintendo's own site (http://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/)

Monthly game download
Subscribers will get to download and play a Nintendo Entertainment System™ (NES) or Super Nintendo Entertainment System™ (Super NES) game (with newly-added online play) for free for a month.

Maybe they should. How would a system like this work exactly? Is it just a trial? Is it 30 days from when you download or if you wait until the last day do you only get 24 hours? What benefit would a 30 day trial on old VC games have? Who wouldn't have played those games by now? Can't you finish most of them much more quickly than 30 days? This is all dumb if it's meant to be a benefit in their subs with this interpretation. I'm not saying it's not the correct interpretation but Nintendo should rethink this if it is.

Cindro

This conversation happened during a livestream that occurred minutes after the reveal conference. I'm a huge Radio Free Nintendo fan, but given Syrenne has already been proven wrong on the trigger and monthly game topics, I wouldn't put much stock in her comments beyond the fact that Switch is easy to develop small indie games for.

This thread has made things worse. No idea what to believe now.

Given that she's walked back on analogue triggers and her statements are contradicting Reggie himself regarding the online subscription games service thingy, I'm inclined to declare this interview total garbage.

andthebeatgoeson

For an official spokesperson Reggie seems to really have problems clearly communicating Nintendo's policies. It's so typical now to have to parse his statements like you're decrypting intercepted spy transmissions.
That really is a terrible way of talking. You'll have it for a time then another game will be available?

It's a double talk of saying 'we will fuck you over.'

Why are they so convinced these old ass games have so much value?

I think I'll just hold off on buying any VC games.

Yeah.... I'm gonna have to call bullshit on the bit about the Joy-Con's motion capabilities being on par with Oculus Touch and Vive.

Syrenne,
24LVTwu1Pc7w1n1y0oE-HauDinkpDH7H2z8Hzzs9uMznmCJHoFyrM48SdxdaWExrOyM=w300

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
THis is iffy, as a third party developer, let alone an indie developer you would not get such info like how much it costs to create a GamePad. And if you got that info in that capacity, it would be nda'd.

Top Bottom