• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Nvidia Readying 1070ti

SRG01

It's the 6th most popular card on the Steam Hardware Survey and the third most popular 10 series card. 6% of the market is the 1060, 3% is the 1070,

Wow, that statistic is kind of hard to swallow. The 1070 is at a very unattractive price point compared to the products around it. Why would people buy this card? :(

The 10% part? Yeah sure
A o/c 1070 won't catch up to a 1080 though

It's not that weird
Look at Vega 56 and 64 for example, they're only 10-15% apart

Right now, yes
But a year ago, the 1080 was way more expensive

The 1070 kept the price high thanks to etherum mining

Espada

Even with that speculation there is no real space between the 1070 and 1080 for this unless they're planning to do some price drops on the 1060 and 1070. Like others have mentioned, this is clearly a shot at the Vega 56, I just don't think Nvidia needs to worry about that product.

Even with that speculation there is no real space between the 1070 and 1080 for this unless they're planning to do some price drops on the 1060 and 1070. Like others have mentioned, this is clearly a shot at the Vega 56, I just don't think Nvidia needs to worry about that product.

Even if they drop the MSRP on them though, the actual prices might not budge due to the current market for cryptomining.

JWiLL

Banned
There was something wrong with your 1070 then because that shouldn't be possible
You're pushing 78% more pixels @1440p compared to 1080p
I also went from a 1070 to a 1080 and a 20-25% difference seems about right

Could have to do with 1080p making games more CPU bound while 1440p is more GPU bound. I'm sure the higher memory clocks help too.

My 1070 ran at 1987mhz out of the box. 1080 is at 2020mhz.

I guess I should say "same or better performance". I haven't really noticed lower frames in any game so far, higher in Battlefield and Mass Effect. Those are 2 Frostbite games which ravage all 4 cores of a 6700k so making it more GPU bound could lead to the better performance.

MoogleMan

Are digital miners still screwing everyone up?
Why does everyone blame the miners? It's the retailers that are jacking up the prices; the miners are just buying them up. Has anyone thought to contact the retailers directly to find out why they're fucking over the consumers?

I don't need a new graphics card (still rockin my beastly 980 ti), but if I was, and my usual sources decided to jack up prices because cards were selling out, I'd find new sources.

Mohasus

Could have to do with 1080p making games more CPU bound while 1440p is more GPU bound. I'm sure the higher memory clocks help too.

My 1070 ran at 1987mhz out of the box. 1080 is at 2020mhz.

I guess I should say "same or better performance". I haven't really noticed lower frames in any game so far, higher in Battlefield and Mass Effect. Those are 2 Frostbite games which ravage all 4 cores of a 6700k so making it more GPU bound could lead to the better performance.

That's not how it works.

dr_rus

Hopefully, 1070Ti lands at the current price point of 1070, and regular 1070 gets a pricedrop.

[slim chance, Nvidia likes money]

I really don't see how it can go without this as with 1070 at $350-400 and 1080 at $500-600 there's just not enough space to fit another card between them. I think that 1070 will get a drop to $300-350 which would make 1070Ti a solid proposition on $400. Another option is to discontinue 1070 altogether but this seems like a dumb move considering the gap between 1060 and 1070.

I really don't see how it can go without this as with 1070 at $350-400 and 1080 at $500-600 there's just not enough space to fit another card between them. I think that 1070 will get a drop to $300-350 which would make 1070Ti a solid proposition on $400. Another option is to discontinue 1070 altogether but this seems like a dumb move considering the gap between 1060 and 1070.

The 1060 6GB already occupies the $300 RRP slot.

They'd have to push it down across the line to be able to fit in a 1070 Ti.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The graphics cards wars are upon us again!

I see this as just a buffer between the 1070 and 1080.

Not with how disappointing Vega turned out to be (I still bought one for my FreeSync monitor). Nvidia looks to be putting a stop to any possible conflict before it even got a chance to begin (no Vega 56 cards have been made available at MSRP yet).

My guess is they are simply using harvested dies which couldn't be 1080's instead of letting them go to waste. There's a lot of room in pricing between $350 and $500 to fit this thing in.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Why would they release Volta now considering the 10 line is selling so well and their competition (who often fails to capture the market lead even when they have better tech and prices) just released a new architecture that fails to beat Nvidia's offerings at equivalent price points *and* consumes more power? Milking Pascal for all it's worth is the smart thing to do and exactly what Nvidia plans to do, I'm sure.

Not really surprising response to V56 if true. AMD will have a tough time competing with much more expensive to manufacture cards. We probably won't have anything significant in the high end until 7nm in late 2018 or 2019. I doubt whatever Nvidia will have for early 2018 is going to be worth it to upgrade, and they will have no reason to offer good value either. Marginal performance increase for yet another $100 price hike to be expected.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
One thing people need to consider, is that the potential chips are already in production, as Nvidia has been shipping 2048 core GTX 1070s in laptops since August of last year.

Releasing them on desktops, with the faster GDDR5 memory, doesn't require herculean effort.

KingV

Yeah 10% faster 1070 at $400 or even $420 or so would likely destroy Vega 56's chances at the same price point.

$420 is about what the very cheapest 1070 is available at today because of miners.

Whoever can figure out how to make a GPU that has good gaming performance but sucks for mining will win the most gaming market share.

big_z

If this rumor is true that probably means volta is later next year.

Do we know how big a jump the Volta will be compared to the current line up available? I was looking to upgrade my GPU later this year but I'm not sure if I should wait for the new chipset. My current card is the 970.

They talked about Volta on Linus tech tips a week or two ago. The jump should be quite big and the chip is ready to go now, it's just there's no competition so nvidia is milking the current cards. Really wish nvidia would just put volta out and curb stomp amd. Amds gpu division has been floundering and their business model with partners isn't very good either.

So gamers are left suffering exorbitant prices for old tech thanks to lack of completion and miners. Personally I wouldn't upgrade until Volta comes and prices hopefully normalize.

KingV

They talked about Volta on Linus tech tips a week or two ago. The jump should be quite big and the chip is ready to go now, it's just there's no competition so nvidia is milking the current cards. Really wish nvidia would just put volta out and curb stomp amd. Amds gpu division has been floundering and their business model with partners isn't very good either.

So gamers are left suffering exorbitant prices for old tech thanks to lack of completion and miners. Personally I wouldn't upgrade until Volta comes and prices hopefully normalize.

The miner shit really gets me. No way am I going to pay $500 for a $350 video card. I'll ride my 970 into the ground and go console only until prices go back to normal first.

KageMaru

I'm really curious to see the price for this and if they drop the price of the existing 1070 model.

The 10% part? Yeah sure
A o/c 1070 won't catch up to a 1080 though

It's not that weird
Look at Vega 56 and 64 for example, they're only 10-15% apart

What I wonder is if the 1070ti overclocked could match a 1080, why would anyone get the 1080? It will be interesting to see how these cards measure up.

ISee

Who is this being marketed towards? I can maybe understand if they release it at 1070s price point but still.

Potential Vega 56 buyers, I guess.

3D Mark Time Spy entry: 1070Ti vs a Vega (56?)

1070tiwjkn6.jpg

Why would they release Volta now considering the 10 line is selling so well and their competition (who often fails to capture the market lead even when they have better tech and prices) just released a new architecture that fails to beat Nvidia's offerings at equivalent price points *and* consumes more power? Milking Pascal for all it's worth is the smart thing to do and exactly what Nvidia plans to do, I'm sure.

I think people underestimate how difficult it is to go to smaller die size and new architecture.

If either manufacturer could pop them out this easily, we wouldn't have encountered the delays we've seen with Vega and even Pascal.

If only launching products was as easy as it is in some people's minds

dr_rus

From what I've heard, there's a chance the 1070 ti will be locked out of overclocking to prevent it from reaching 1080 speed. Not sure if that's true, but plausible.

Factory OC custom cards are rumored to be prohibited for 1070Ti, not the OC of the cards themselves.

Top Bottom