• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

Gav

Shaneus said:
HOLY FUCK that CCC track is hotness! Is all their other stuff like that, too?

IMO, Chewy Chocolate Cookies stuff is awesome.

Im currently listening to their remix of Justice - Genesis, and i love it. Their DJ Mehdi - Pocket Piano Remix is also damn good.

Gav

Also, im thinking of getting this as a tattoo on the inside of my lower right arm. Just thought id post it here as im thinking about it.

6dr8li.jpg

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Gav said:
Also, im thinking of getting this as a tattoo on the inside of my lower right arm. Just thought id post it here as im thinking about it.

http://i39.tinypic.com/6dr8li.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
9/10 people that see it are going to ask you how good you are at Halo :lol

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Gav said:
:lol You're probably right... I like it anyway!
Definitely cool. If you can put up with the previous comment, you should be good to go.

btkadams

Gaylord Sweetwood said:
You can tell Electronic Music has gone stale now considering Daft Punk and Justice are name dropped literally every 5 seconds. 1993 - please comeback

Go here - listen to the track "Host" and be amazed.
huh? daft punk just gets mentioned because they have a new cd coming out this year and they are the britney spears of electronic. ive been listening much more to mstrkrft and justice the past couple years than daft punk...

and i will listen to host as soon as i finish listening to the hottest btkadams mix of 2009... lol.

Kitsuné

since when does a fox need an accent aigu?
Gav said:

tatoo[IMG][/QUOTE]
I love the concept Gav, but I'd go for another design. This one looks like it's done in paint, and I have the feeling that some details, especially on the one on the left (Bangalter I guess?) are wrong.

btkadams

just saw the transporter 3 tonight at the cheap theatres and i gotta say it was much better than everyone made it out to be. very unrealistic but still fun. the best part of it though was there were a few songs in it that were pretty awesome. did a search and cant find them anywhere. all the links are expired.

Birdy Nam Nam - Trans Boulogne Express

Benjamin Theves - Texas (Sebastian Remix)

they sound pretty good to me... ;) ;) ;)

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Forgot about this site but ran into a couple of tracks I had downloaded years ago and I remembered it

http://www.generationtrance.com/

<3333

Lots of female vocals for optimal melancholy. Mainly remixes but sooo good. Each release is by different DJs (I believe) and is can be downloaded via torrents.

Shaneus

On that note of soundtracks, has anyone checked out the Midnight Club: LA electro/techno tracklistings? It seriously blew my mind how diverse and downright awesome it is. Shits all over anything before it, even Wipeout 2097.

Kitsuné

btkadams said:
just saw the transporter 3 tonight at the cheap theatres and i gotta say it was much better than everyone made it out to be. very unrealistic but still fun. the best part of it though was there were a few songs in it that were pretty awesome. did a search and cant find them anywhere. all the links are expired.

Birdy Nam Nam - Trans Boulogne Express

Benjamin Theves - Texas (Sebastian Remix)

they sound pretty good to me... ;) ;) ;)
Here you go:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/vwiwnmjjg25/Texas EP.zip
SebastiAn remix is awesome, I still play it out regularly. The breakdown at around 2:30 is insane :D
I included the original as well ;)

Yay, just got Homework (2-LP, original pressing) for 14,50€. Damn this fucker who bidded 14,01€ in the last second. I would have got it for 8,50€...

Kitsuné

Graf Nudu said:
Yay, just got Homework (2-LP, original pressing) for 14,50€. Damn this fucker who bidded 14,01€ in the last second. I would have got it for 8,50€...
nice!

Part of me wants this as well, but the other part in me says I should spend my money on vinyls I haven't got on cd already :(

btkadams said:
you're awesome!
you're welcome :)

Is anyone here a fan of Buraka Som Sistema? Just listened to the album for the first time, and I really really like it!

Kitsuné

What's that Hot Chip song? I've never heard it, yet the youtube description says it's on Made in the Dark ??

Kitsuné said:
What's that Hot Chip song? I've never heard it, yet the youtube description says it's on Made in the Dark ??

It's on the Japanese version of Made in the Dark along with another bonus track called "My brother is watching me".

Kitsuné

Graf Nudu said:
It's on the Japanese version of Made in the Dark along with another bonus track called "My brother is watching me".
Those damned Japanes! They always get the exclusive stuff :(

Kitsuné

For all you fellow Soulwax lovers, here's a live recording of Soulwax live at Soulwaxmas Hasselt
http://www.megaupload.com/fr/?d=OT8RTSEB

edit: I might as well drop the tracklist

01. Intro (Part Of The Weekend Never Dies)
02. Soulwax - E-Talking (Nite Version)
03. LCD Soundsystem - Get Innocuous
04. Robbie Williams - Lovelight (Soulwax Ravelight Dub)
05. Klaxons - Gravity's Rainbow (Soulwax Remix)
06. Soulwax - Miserable Girl (Nite Version)
07. Soulwax - Another Excuse
08. Soulwax - Accidents And Compliments (Nite Version)
09. Daft Punk - Robot Rock (Soulwax Remix)
10. Justice - Phantom II (Soulwax Remix)
11. Samantha Fu - Discotheque/Human Resource Vs 808 State (Soulwax Edit)/Altern8 - Frequency/T99 - Anastashia
12. Alex Gopher - Aurora (Mixing into NY Excuse)
13. Soulwax - NY Excuse

joelseph

Mumdance's mix off Sinden's last show.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/54333297b90bbbe1/

1. Mumdance Divine Tempz (No Homo) Bootleg Intro
2. Radioclit - Divine Gosa (Switch Remix)
3. Tempa T - Next Hype (Acapella)
4. Youngstar - Pulse Xtra
5. The Prodigy - Breath (Number Nin6 Remix)
6. Zomby - Rumours & Revolutions
7. Shortstuff - A Rustling
8. Etan - Tunnel (High Rankin Remix)
9. AC Slater - Banger (Drop The Lime Remix)
10. Silverlink - Message is Love (Mumdance Remix)
11. Lady Sovereign - I Got You Dancing (Jack Beats Remix)
12. Radioclit - Secousse (Vocal Version)
13. Radioclit - Secousse (Brodinski Remix)
14. Maluca Y Diplo - Tigaraso
14. Machel Montano - Jumbie
16. Current Value - Symptomless Coma (Donny Remix)
17. Mumdance Outro (Ft Tempa T)

btkadams

hey you guys never answered my question from before. are you all mostly in europe?

and for those that are, are there really a shitload of clubs that play all this music? there's only one in calgary :(

Kitsuné

I'm sorry, I must've missed your question. I'm from Europe, yeah, Ghent in Belgium to be more precise. And yes, there are tons of clubs around here that play this kind of music, I'm particularly lucky here in Ghent. We've got two very important ones:

Culture Club: One of the best in Europe. 2 Many DJ's and The Glimmers used to be residents there, that should give you a clue as to how good it was and still is.

Make Up Club: Also very good, bit more indie oriented. Aeroplane had a residency there last year I think.

Lots of awesome dj's come here! I'm a lucky man :D

btkadams

Kitsuné said:
I'm sorry, I must've missed your question. I'm from Europe, yeah, Ghent in Belgium to be more precise. And yes, there are tons of clubs around here that play this kind of music, I'm particularly lucky here in Ghent. We've got two very important ones:

Culture Club: One of the best in Europe. 2 Many DJ's and The Glimmers used to be residents there, that should give you a clue as to how good it was and still is.

Make Up Club: Also very good, bit more indie oriented. Aeroplane had a residency there last year I think.

Lots of awesome dj's come here! I'm a lucky man :D
we generally get a big dj or two every couple months, but mostly just the bigger names like tiesto, benassi, and armand van buuren. damn man you are lucky. and our electronic club is pretty scary lookin lol. some of the nicer clubs in town would be so awesome if they played this kind of music. i mean, it's music you can actually dance to! i still don't understand how there are bars exclusively playing rock.. (i like rock but wtf how do you dance to that?)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Shaneus said:
I hear ya... IDK WTF happened with Adam Freeland. Fear and We Want Your Soul were amazing tracks. He's lost it :(

I didn't like his GU very much at all, was expecting him to continue with breaks instead of going the way of fidget/French electrohouse/whatever they're calling it nowadays... although Gui Boratto did a great mix of "Silverlake Pills".

Shaneus

I don't think it's hatred, just that pretty much everyone seems to be doing it these days. There seem to be too many DJ's who just play what's popular rather than what they're known for. Case in point, I remember seeing Meat Katie a little over a year ago, and I think he played *maybe* one nu-school breaks track in his whole set. Rest was just 4/4 tech/electro. Pissed me off no end, it did.

btkadams

meh i can't really complain about it. i only ever hear stuff that i search for on the internet so i haven't really been exposed to it as much as some of you in europe would be. so its still fresh for me. but i do hear you in that i am finding a shitload of generic electro/house songs now. it seems theres only like 10 djs that im actually downloading more than one song of.

btkadams said:
we generally get a big dj or two every couple months, but mostly just the bigger names like tiesto, benassi, and armand van buuren. damn man you are lucky. and our electronic club is pretty scary lookin lol. some of the nicer clubs in town would be so awesome if they played this kind of music. i mean, it's music you can actually dance to! i still don't understand how there are bars exclusively playing rock.. (i like rock but wtf how do you dance to that?)

Thats kinda how Utah is as well, ive got to see Benassi and Armin in the last year or so. Just two nights ago we got to see Oakenfold and also Dieselboy. There are surprisingly a lot of DJ's that come though, utah has a pretty big scene.

I wish I lived in europe though gawd damn.

Davidion

I just listened to some of the rest of the Fever Ray album and it sounds...like the Knife. Unsurprising, I suppose, but it's kind of disappointing.

btkadams said:
i don't get it, is there like a hatred for fidget/electro/house/whatever they call it?

Flavor of the month going away. Before Fidget house it was minimal techno, before minimal techno it was tech house, before tech house it was prog house, before prog house it was trance. I thought judging by the sudden popularity of "electro house" that it'd stick around for a few more minutes, but it is what it is. *shrugs*

It's just how the electronic music industry rolls. The big sound that's popular with the kids and the bigger DJ set changes every couple of years. After the peak, the mass popularity fades away and its popularity settles into place with its niche, big or small, of fans and followers.

Oh, and to be honest, Freeland hasn't really been relevant since Techtonics.

Kitsuné

I was one of the first to jump on the whole "fidget" train, but it quickly burnt me out. Still like it quite a bit though, but I'm finding it hard to keep listening to it. Variation is the key, I usually (try to) play an eclectic set nowadays.
I love how 2 Many Dj's sets were 4 years ago, they were incredibly eclectic. I guess a lot of you know their famous mash-up of 10cc vs Destinies Child. They used to play that sort of things all the time! Now it's generally just a bunch of hyped and new electro/fidget-tracks. They're still fuck-awesome though, I just miss the old 2 Many DJ's stuff.

I actually find myself listening more to the softer stuff nowadays. Nu-disco and the likes.

btkadams

Davidion said:
I just listened to some of the rest of the Fever Ray album and it sounds...like the Knife. Unsurprising, I suppose, but it's kind of disappointing.

Flavor of the month going away. Before Fidget house it was minimal techno, before minimal techno it was tech house, before tech house it was prog house, before prog house it was trance. I thought judging by the sudden popularity of "electro house" that it'd stick around for a few more minutes, but it is what it is. *shrugs*

It's just how the electronic music industry rolls. The big sound that's popular with the kids and the bigger DJ set changes every couple of years.

Oh, and to be honest, Freeland hasn't really been relevant since Techtonics.
i understand that. it's weird to me though. i guess its like pop music in a way? electronic music seems to not even be a genre. its like a whole mass of music. it's as if it's one big genre, and country/rap/rock/rnb/pop are all one genre. so weird to me lol. when was trance big? im just wondering since i used to like hard trance a lot (but it wasn't because of it being popular, it was good for chomping discobiscuits).

Shaneus

Trance was big around 10 years ago, when I was into it. Then after a while, all these other electronic subgenres developed and trance just stagnated. It's about the only type of dance music that has actually gone backwards.

But, thanks to its lack of evolution, I found far better types of music to get into :)

btkadams

Shaneus said:
Trance was big around 10 years ago, when I was into it. Then after a while, all these other electronic subgenres developed and trance just stagnated. It's about the only type of dance music that has actually gone backwards.

But, thanks to its lack of evolution, I found far better types of music to get into :)
yeah that about sums up my change in tastes as well. also, because i only drink now.

Kitsuné

It depends a lot on what definition you have of "electronic music". It could be the general "everything that's made with electronic instruments", but just as with hiphop and metal, it has a lot of sub genres. I'm not even going to bother with summing them all up.
Electronic music, in particular the hip/indie/electro stuff, has become more and more popular in recent years, so it's also more and more prone to certain trends and hypes. One of the biggest examples of that would probably be Crookers, they're massive over here in Europe, and a lot of new acts are copying their sound right now. I fucking annoys me really, because you end up with a lot of stuff that sounds exactly the same. As I said before, I want something eclectic in the end, mix different styles and sounds. I don't want to end up dancing to 2 hours of the same thing, how good it may be, it just gets boring after 2 or 3 songs. I should record one of my sets to show you what I mean.

I don't know shit about trance, just that I don't like it at all, so I can't answer that question :p

Top Bottom