• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

Looks great lit up at night.

Length wise it's still the same but height wise they seem to be getting smaller each year.

Pretty sure Axwell is off his tits right now. Still wouldn't explain why him and Seb have went this direction with their sets though.

Aomber

As long as it blows the other festivals Mainstage away, I'm content with it lol.

Lol.... Monstercat's "Surprise" Guest is..... dotcom! LMAO, the Monstercat's crowd is eating it up on the stream.
Hahaha that's for sure. And lol, "surprise" guests are always too predictable. When I went to Mysteryland there was a Protocol Recordings pre-party with Nicky Romero as the "surprise" guest. Literally the dude who OWNS the label is the "surprise"

I went the year it was this stage

HZC3TyV.jpg

Literally the only thing I was thinking to myself were: how can dotcom follow up to Krewella's diverse and actually HARD set? He can't lol. Krewella threw down and who is next?! Marsh-fucking-mello......

At the least I can count on A^I to play some of their own "Prog" House tracks, right?

mr stroke

What are people's thoughts on the style of the mainstage this year?

It's different for sure, I like it, though I don't know if I like it quite as much as previous years

vgsnqvv.jpg

Unfortunately.

EDC 2017 wins it this year

eUNbEUv.jpg

23Mtr2y.jpg

But 2016 TL mainstage>2016 EDC mainstage

Usually Tomorrowland destroys every other stage in the world, but this year looks smaller and very simple compared to previous versions.

but of course Tomorrowland's location always beats the speedway

BLT1rXe.jpg

so much FOMO right now :(

Aomber

I actually agree and I wasn't even a fan of EDC Vegas, I think that's actually why I don't like the Tomorrowland stage as much because it reminds me of EDC. Tomorrowland beats out EDC in everything else regardless, it's really something every EDM fan needs to do at some point.

The Q-Dance stage is fucking garbage..... No effort in it, at all. Surprised to see some Murica flags on the stream for Q-Dance's stage. Go Muricans!

The Hardstyle fans still don't know how to dance to Psytrance though. I'm not even sure how to move to it. I just headbang but not like the Dubstep headbang lol.

mr stroke

Watching Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike on this stream and holy shit :eek:

how much molly do you need to be on to like this trash ? Its literally pop chorus after chorus mixed with car alarm fart noises and 1-2-3 DROP

hahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahahaha

Aomber

how much molly do you need to be on to like this trash ? Its literally pop chorus after chorus mixed with car alarm fart noises and 1-2-3 DROP

Yeah never been a fan of Maarten vo- err I mean DVLM's music

LMAO. Their crowd eats it up though. Not a excuse just an observation. Really tells you alot about their crowd/fanbase lmao.

I saw the middle of Q-Dance, left happy, and is now out enjoying this heat in Minnesota. I'm actually waiting to see who we get for the Zombie Pub Crawl this year ��

Apparently Garrix is going as another alias? YTRAM or something like that. Plays more Deep House and less Electro House and Bigroom.

Hey, that's the number 1 DJ's in the world you're talking about there!

But yeah, the atmosphere at the main stage is incredible (will admit seeing DV&LM both times I've went) but 90% of the sets played sound exactly the same. It's a shame when they've got people like Carl Cox available but they have him open the main stage on the opening day when most people are still arriving/getting into the grounds.

Going off the sets I've been watching (currently listening to Amelie Lens), the In the Woods stage looks like the one to be at. Drumcode and Paradise have killed it.

TVexperto

What are people's thoughts on the style of the mainstage this year?

It's different for sure, I like it, though I don't know if I like it quite as much as previous years

vgsnqvv.jpg

Unfortunately.

You have to be there. I first thought it looks alright but once you see it in real life with all the different moving elements and the circus acrobatics its amazing. i like it even more than last years

Aomber

Jamie xx Boiler Room Reykjavík DJ Set

5 minutes in and this set is 100% legit

Also I've been meaning to talk about this girl, but some of you might have heard this song recently. Bringing this up because she's been involved in music for a number of years and she's done work with Skrillex, Kygo, Zedd, etc. Issues was her public debut having been too shy before to be a forefront artist.

Julia Michaels - Issues

You're probably most familiar with her writing this song right here :)

Justin Bieber - Sorry

Here's her latest single.

Julia Michaels - Uh Huh

Keep an eye on this girl.

I'm really happy and surprised at just how much Hardstyle was played at the Tomorrowland Mainstage along with some Psytrance. EU has their shit on lock. *cough*USA*cough*

We might be seeing the rise of Hardstyle and Psytrance erupt in EU, and it might trickle over to the US. Might.

Really shows the difference between the US scene and the EU scene, doesn't it?

Aomber

I'm really happy and surprised at just how much Hardstyle was played at the Tomorrowland Mainstage along with some Psytrance. EU has their shit on lock. *cough*USA*cough*

We might be seeing the rise of Hardstyle and Psytrance erupt in EU, and it might trickle over to the US. Might.

Really shows the difference between the US scene and the EU scene, doesn't it?
Yeah Tomorrowland always rocks a big Q dance stage, been to it, the crowd there gets waaaaaay more packed than at the US equivalents it's fantastic

The New Forest Stage was the best at Tomorrowland. Black Coffee was on fire.
Now im feeling a bit tuesday depressed and i cant wait untill next year.

There was a lot less mainstream EDM, a lot of House and Techno stages. Really loved it!

Mistah

The New Forest Stage was the best at Tomorrowland. Black Coffee was on fire.
Now im feeling a bit tuesday depressed and i cant wait untill next year.

There was a lot less mainstream EDM, a lot of House and Techno stages. Really loved it!

Same ! the atmosphere was perfect. Going back for the second weekend ;D

Alright, sorry to hop into this thread and immediately ask for help, but I had a song recommended to me by Spotify that has a beat that I KNOW I have heard before.

The Xan Griffin Remix of Colors
starting at about 3:05-3:25 has a piano beat that I am absolutely certain I have heard in another song. Shazam is failing me. Any ideas?

Aomber

New Skrillex & Poo Bear single is up. Out right now so haven't been able to properly listen to it

Listen to Skrillex & Poo Bear - Would You Ever by Skrillex #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/skrillex/wouldyouever

Edit: Just checked it out. It's... Okay. Its growing on me so maybe I'll start to like it more, but in terms of music with his name on the title, I haven't been massively interested in his work since Jack U. It does remind me of the early 2010s Skrillex though, in a more "happy" way, which could end up being a good thing if this is the beginning of an EP or album.

TVexperto

Live stream schedule for today

I was there at the elrow stage last weekend. It was so amazing, they had so many mechanical figures etc and were dressed up etc
gonna post pics later

BW6M6AL.jpg

mr stroke

New Skrillex & Poo Bear single is up. Out right now so haven't been able to properly listen to it

Listen to Skrillex & Poo Bear - Would You Ever by Skrillex #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/skrillex/wouldyouever

Edit: Just checked it out. It's... Okay. Its growing on me so maybe I'll start to like it more, but in terms of music with his name on the title, I haven't been massively interested in his work since Jack U. It does remind me of the early 2010s Skrillex though, in a more "happy" way, which could end up being a good thing if this is the beginning of an EP or album.

yep, missing Skrillex lately, haven't cared for much from him since Jack U and Dogblood. Going to see DogBlood next weekend at HARD Summer so hopefully we hear a lot of new stuff (Him & Boyz Noise have been in the studio so hopefully that's the direction he's going)

Aomber

I'm a bit torn on this because usually I'd stick up for Zedd's pre-building shows because they were so good. Thing is with his shitty music in the last year I'm not sure how I feel about that, I understand just playing back to back, planned tracks allows for a more "perfect" show, but if he plans his sets that's basically a concert. I'm just saying, he's a trained piano player, I think most people would much prefer room for error in favor of something a little more live.

Armand and Luke are pretty much right anyway, I sort of give Zedd a pass despite my criticism because he puts a lot of effort into his pre-planned show with the production and flow of the concert. Some other DJs don't go to that extent though

I don't really care if a producer or DJ can actually mix during their set. If they can, cool, but if they don't? Not a problem for me. To each their own.

Let the DJs have their fun. I like it when they get into their set because it shows just how much they enjoy the culture imo.

I don't really care if a producer or DJ can actually mix during their set. If they can, cool, but if they don't? Not a problem for me. To each their own.

Let the DJs have their fun. I like it when they get into their set because it shows just how much they enjoy the culture imo.

I'd be enjoying the "culture' just as much as them If I was being paid tens, in some cases hundreds of thousands of dollars to basically hit play on a CDJ.

Don't get me wrong the production on these sets can be incredible but I don't understand how you can be happy to pay good money to hear something you could easily just hear at home.

I'd be enjoying the "culture' just as much as them If I was being paid tens, in some cases hundreds of thousands of dollars to basically hit play on a CDJ.

Don't get me wrong the production on these sets can be incredible but I don't understand how you can be happy to pay good money to hear something you could easily just hear at home.

Yeah, pretty much. I can tolerate it only so much. But people are stupid, right? Just to get to experience it, they will pay alot of money just to hear something they themselves can play at their own home. Don't get me wrong, hearing shit live is awesome, yes, but when the DJ just keeps speaking? Fuck off.

I love Hardstyle, that's obvious, but dear God does MC Villain talk alot lol. I get it the Hardstyle family is tight knit and you want to show it by yelling in the mic every 5-10 minutes, but shut up lmao.

mr stroke

I'm a bit torn on this because usually I'd stick up for Zedd's pre-building shows because they were so good. Thing is with his shitty music in the last year I'm not sure how I feel about that, I understand just playing back to back, planned tracks allows for a more "perfect" show, but if he plans his sets that's basically a concert. I'm just saying, he's a trained piano player, I think most people would much prefer room for error in favor of something a little more live.

Armand and Luke are pretty much right anyway, I sort of give Zedd a pass despite my criticism because he puts a lot of effort into his pre-planned show with the production and flow of the concert. Some other DJs don't go to that extent though

I am fine with Zedd having a solo "concert"(the guy can clearly produce, even though he's a shit DJ IMO).

But to line up at a festival/night club with a pre planned set is lazy. What makes old school guys so mad is most of these guys aren't doing shit other than pressing play and standing on the decks. The ridiculous amount of money they get paid to press play is insulting. If this was a live show or band then its different because their playing instruments. But to sit on stage and press play, while waiting for the pyrotechnics to go off is a joke. This only happens in the EDM scene. Could you imagine Radiohead, U2, or Rolling Stones going on stage, lip syncing and having pre recorded guitarist lol.

There's nothing wrong with speaking on the mic. It's the frequent usage of the mic. Showtek and The Chainsmoker's are very guilty of this, and it's fucking annoying. The worst is Showtek because of how stupid they act. They act like they're the shit, and gets on the mic non-stop.

It's also how they tell the crowd to get their hands up. During a pivotal moment during a song, sure since a majority of the crowd is so high and drunk that they don't know when to put their hands up, but during a random moment (which is often the culprit behind these PUT YOUR HANDS UP!!!!! moments) is the worst. There is no build up or momentum towards that moment, and it ruins their set imo.

Aomber

I am fine with Zedd having a solo "concert"(the guy can clearly produce, even though he's a shit DJ IMO).

But to line up at a festival/night club with a pre planned set is lazy. What makes old school guys so mad is most of these guys aren't doing shit other than pressing play and standing on the decks. The ridiculous amount of money they get paid to press play is insulting. If this was a live show or band then its different because their playing instruments. But to sit on stage and press play, while waiting for the pyrotechnics to go off is a joke. This only happens in the EDM scene. Could you imagine Radiohead, U2, or Rolling Stones going on stage, lip syncing and having pre recorded guitarist lol.

That's exactly what I'm saying. What I mean is, Zedd's fully capable of doing a Porter Robinson show, or a Disclosure show, where he could play synths or pianos or drums (forgot he's also a drummer). He doesn't though, he just plays the same set for an entire tour consisting of running master recordings through Traktor and blasting visuals. As productions and concerts go it's clean and all, but it's not exactly a showcase of his performance talent, a lot of DJs don't play instruments but he 100% does.

The worst part is, he actually will do what I'd want him to do on a full tour, say, on a morning show. I dislike this song but you can see what I mean here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2FtK3ajvXY

There's nothing wrong with speaking on the mic. It's the frequent usage of the mic. Showtek and The Chainsmoker's are very guilty of this, and it's fucking annoying. The worst is Showtek because of how stupid they act. They act like they're the shit, and gets on the mic non-stop.

It's also how they tell the crowd to get their hands up. During a pivotal moment during a song, sure since a majority of the crowd is so high and drunk that they don't know when to put their hands up, but during a random moment (which is often the culprit behind these PUT YOUR HANDS UP!!!!! moments) is the worst. There is no build up or momentum towards that moment, and it ruins their set imo.
I don't mind minimal talking, even Carl Cox will talk on the mic but it's all about how you use it.

1 Minute into DV & LM Tomorrowland set and we've already had a "Heyyyy, hooooooo".

Number 1 DJ's in the world ladies and gentleman.

Back to the Axtone stage it is.

mr stroke

That's exactly what I'm saying. What I mean is, Zedd's fully capable of doing a Porter Robinson show, or a Disclosure show, where he could play synths or pianos or drums (forgot he's also a drummer). He doesn't though, he just plays the same set for an entire tour consisting of running master recordings through Traktor and blasting visuals. As productions and concerts go it's clean and all, but it's not exactly a showcase of his performance talent, a lot of DJs don't play instruments but he 100% does.

The worst part is, he actually will do what I'd want him to do on a full tour, say, on a morning show. I dislike this song but you can see what I mean here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2FtK3ajvXY

I don't mind minimal talking, even Carl Cox will talk on the mic but it's all about how you use it.

How is he not bored out of his mind?

Dat W&W & Darren Styles song tho..... W&W trying to be like Hardwell, huh? It seems like they are enjoying the Happy Hardcore sound more though. Their DLMD remix was also a Happy Hardcore remix 🤔

Top Bottom