• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-Pad

Keyouta said:
I'm assuming the picture posted in the comments on that site is fake, but:

nintendojps77.jpg

I don't believe it will look like that.

That is the Gameboy from two dimensions over, where the DS flopped. Someone brought it through the Infinity.

carlo6529

I hope the main feature isn't simply broadcasting the game on the screen of the controller. I mean..I want to see the game on my big tv.

Listen to me Nintendo, please be real and take my goddamn money!!! Just make sure it is for sure HD, my 50 inch vizio will love you and so will I!! Also, fuck Nintendo..you have been taking a lot of my money lately!

enzo_gt said:
Asking once again, can someone remind me why we think this will be announced in a day?
3DS was announced at this conference last year.

Though I don't remember if the 3DS had any leaks or stuff before the fact.

Pimpbaa

alr1ghtstart said:
Hope it's not as laggy as remote play.

I think a whole system designed around such a concept would work out much better than a half assed feature that hardly any developer used.

antonz said:
They mention It is a 16:9 Screen that is 6" and has an unusual resolution thats in the 800x500 range which is less than 720P and currently it is single touch. Tentative date for launch told to developers is June 2012 and that design decisions can change between now and then.

Worth mentioning as I pointed out in the old thread. Many GPS devices use a 6" Touchscreen that is 800x480 resolution. Good be a very good candidate for screen type.

800 x 480 is not the same aspect ratio as 720p/1080p. 5:3 instead of 16:9.

The most likely resolution is simply halving the dimensions of 1080p, which gives 960 x 540. Anything else will result in weird scalings, an incorrect aspect ratio, super high or super low resolution screens.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
brochiller said:
Or you and a friend could be playing on a TV in one room while a third and fourth player, who may want to watch something on TV and play, could go to another room and watch the TV while taking their controllers with them and playing with you at the same time.

Which is fine providing:

a) You have flawless wireless streaming with no lag or other issues
b) You don't mind an incredibly wasteful use of your new HD console

I'm assuming we will now at least get something concrete from Nintendo at the Investors Meeting, but if this is the big idea then I am really questioning what the Hell Nintendo are doing.

Shambles

Pimpbaa said:
You were excited for a system that used recycled Gamecube hardware and a controller that looked like a tv remote?

Yeah this is opposite to my view. The Wii was a huge turn off and the direction that Microsoft and Sony have headed this past generation has steering me far away from them. Nintendo looks to be the only maker that even has a potential of getting me interested in console gaming again.

carlo6529 said:
I hope the main feature isn't simply broadcasting the game on the screen of the controller. I mean..I want to see the game on my big tv.

Yeah but i am always on the go in my house and the TV is always being used for something or other, so to be able to play this remotely without my tv is fuck awesome!

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I just want to see Crystal Chronicles 2 on this thing.
And Four Swords Adventures!
People always buy four controllers for Nintendo consoles, so it's hard to imagine them missing the opportunity to reuse those concepts now that they'll be feasible for the mass market.

myDingling said:
I think it's pretty clear that Nintendo is trying to blur the line between console/portable. Tablet screen, Project Cafe, potentially being called "Stream"...looks like they're going for the whole portable wonder machine. Seems more like a PSP2 competitor than an Xbox/PS3 rival.

The crazy thing is...why would they push thing angle when they already have the DS line on the market. Short of having some batshit crazy awesome connectivity features between the two, I'm very confused by their approach. I guess E3 will reveal all...
Nintendo have seen the way things are going in Japan and are probably trying to get the jump on the competition in starting the handheld/console convergence.
This is the same reason Sony is making a super powerful handheld again and will be pushing connectivity in a big way. I bet NGP is much more important to them than PS4.

carlo6529 said:

Nintendo: "You want HD? Fuck you. Here's a 800x500 tiny ass screen."

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Dissonance said:
3DS was announced at this conference last year.

Though I don't remember if the 3DS had any leaks or stuff before the fact.
3DS was announced out of the blue. There wasn't a conference for it, just a note.

apana

Ingredients for 20,000 post threads: rumors, six inch screen, haptic feedback, vitality sensor, motion controls, graphix level, and endless mock-ups.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
DreD said:
Should be similar and very inspired by the UDraw Tablet, but with analog sticks and triggers on each side (as well as a control pad and face buttons).

if this "pad" style controller has any basis in reality, I'm assuming that it has a dockable "Wii Remote" which fits inside of it. This would allow for full pointer capabilities -and- backwards compatibility.

Heck, make it connect with an upgraded Wii remote connector and you can keep 100% compatibility with the classic controllers and arcade sticks.

NCL couldn't possibly be dumping pointer support -- that's the best part of the Wii.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
AstroLad said:
Yup, Nintendo have always been the kings of local multi. And it's even more pronounced now that the other systems are outright pathetic when it comes to local multi.

Put me down for a system and four controllers day one. Loves me some local multi.
If each player has their own screen there is even less of a reason for Nintendo to cap the number of connectable controllers to four.

You're going to buy 8+ controllers and you're going to like it.

Laurent

The second part…

A streaming story
IGN also wrote about the console design, describing it like a futuristic SNES. Our sources are not able to give us information on this topic, since most prototypes received by developers aren't boxed in a custom enclosure. IGN also said that Nintendo was thinking about calling it the “Stream”. Once again, our sources are not able to confirm nor deny it, but we think the idea behind the name is plausible and clever (except for its urinal connotation, similar to the “Wii”, which makes laugh most of the anglophone community). Streaming is actually a central feature that makes “Project Café” interesting. The console will be able to wirelessly broadcast different kinds of streams (audio, video, games) to controllers. This means that it could be possible to play without the need of a TV set, or to first start a game on your big screen, and then pursuing the same game with the controller, on your way to the bathroom. A real revolution!

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
You know what would be neat? No 4-person limit. That was kindofan artificial limit based on split screens anyway.

Let's have a mario-kart party. I got koopa. 11 others can come over, but BYOB!!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Dance In My Blood said:
If each player has their own screen there is even less of a reason for Nintendo to cap the number of connectable controllers to four.

I have a bunch of Buzz controllers and that game sucks so yeah maybe hahah.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Nirolak said:
Nintendo's fiscal call.
Shit just
or a while ago considering I'm late on this
got
potentially
real.

Still don't think we'll see it tomorrow, but pleasant surprises are good, etc.

Sirius

If it weren't for the mutual exclusivity of haptic feedback and wireless gaming, I'd totally buy a system dedicated to accurate and deep force feedback.

Dance In My Blood said:

Or learn the benefits of the BYOC rule for your wallet.

PantherLotus said:
You know what would be neat? No 4-person limit. That was kindofan artificial limit based on split screens anyway.

Let's have a mario-kart party. I got koopa. 11 others can come over, but BYOB!!

You know what would be neat? If I still went to college and had 11 friends (let alone 2) who would come over and play Mario Kart all night.

guldakot

Play calling in Madden.
Rear view mirror in racing games.
Overworld map for RPGS.
Map with interactivity for FPS (You could just look down and call in an airstrike on a specific spot of the map in say COD:MW)
Cell phone in GTA.
When playing a fps, hold the controller up and use it as a sniper scope (think silent scope in the arcade)
Inventory management for various games.
Special items in mario cart, so the other players do not know if you got a blue shell :p
Hidden character selection in fighting games.
Touch screen scrolling for netflix.
Games like FF CC where GBA hookup made the game SO much better because of the use of the GBA screen.
Video chat for online play (Yeah I know, Its Nintendo afterall :( )
RTS games would finally be playable on console, using the touch screen as not only an overhead map but being able to actually lasso groups of units like using a mouse.

I personally see alot of possible functionality for a screen on a controller, but somehow I feel its gonna be used for nothing more then simple stats or a screen saver :(

carlo6529

enzo_gt said:
Shit just
got
potentially
real.

Nintendo will at least address the rumours. I wouldn't be surprised for a controller reveal.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
enzo_gt said:
Shit just
got
potentially
real.

I imagine at most we will get a press release saying "Hey, we're announcing this at E3".

enzo_gt said:
Shit just
got
potentially
real.

well yea , we'd be lucky if that happens, don't expect more than a "we are working on a new console codenamed Café, it's projected to launch at the earliest in June 2012, expect to hear more of it at E3".

Instro

Even if you didnt use the screen for game streaming, it would still be useful as a giant touch screen. They could stick maps, inventories, hud elements, shortcut buttons, etc on there. Something like that makes it useful as fuck.

Big One

Banned
Door2Dawn said:
This thing will fail. They have completely lost sight of what made the Wii so successful.
Pretty positive being able to stream home console games from the controller is pretty fucking big

Door2Dawn

Banned
guldakot said:
Play calling in Madden.
Overworld map for RPGS.
Map with interactivity for FPS (You could just look down and call in an airstrike on a specific spot of the map in say COD:MW)
Cell phone in GTA.
When playing a fps, hold the controller up and use it as a sniper scope (think silent scope in the arcade)
Special items in mario cart, so the other players do not know if you got a blue shell :p
Games like FF CC where GBA hookup made the game SO much better because of the use of the GBA screen.
RTS games would finally be playable on console, using the touch screen as not only an overhead map but being able to actually lasso groups of units like using a mouse.

I personally see alot of possible functionality for a screen on a controller, but somehow I feel its gonna be used for nothing more then simple stats or a screen saver :(
Ugh, that just sounds like a bunch of stuff devs won't utilize. :/

Big One said:
Pretty positive being able to stream home console games from the controller is pretty fucking big
Really? It honestly doesn't sound all that impressive to me.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Dance In My Blood said:

Let's go for 16 and have the poor console rendering at SNES levels.

Sod HD and the console experience, get everyone playing handheld games on pseudo-handhelds that can't leave the house.

This is seriously bonkers.

Door2Dawn said:
This thing will fail. They have completely lost sight of what made the Wii so successful.

I'm not going to presume failure (I doubt I ever will again after Kinect), but yes, it's completely baffling to me. Not only does streaming sound extremely weak as a system-defining feature when compared to motion control, but it also cannibalizes a huge portion of 3DS' potential use (as a handheld you play around the house). I'll just have to wait for E3, because it's not likely that we'll get enough information tomorrow or Tuesday for Cafe to make any more sense than it does now.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
guldakot said:
Play calling in Madden.
Overworld map for RPGS.
Cell phone in GTA.

This is the first of many "JEDI LIGHTSABER FIGHTS!" posts that we're all familiar with from about 4-5 years ago that only lead to massive disappointment and hand-wringing.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
I wonder how the hardware handles rendering 4 800x480ish screens and then one at full HD for a session of Mario Kart which traditionally runs at 60fps.

This whole screen on a controller dealio smells of questionable ballfunk

guldakot

Door2Dawn said:
Ugh, that just sounds like a bunch of stuff devs won't utilize. :/

Really? It honestly doesn't sound all that impressive to me.
I know, but it would be fuckawesome if they did :(

Gvaz said:
"The Duke" xbox controller was the best. I wish I had one :(

Kareem Abdul Jabbar hands confirmed

PantherLotus said:
This is the first of many "JEDI LIGHTSABER FIGHTS!" posts that we're all familiar with from about 4-5 years ago that only lead to massive disappointment and hand-wringing.

That this particular example did not end up coming true is REALLY dumb though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom