• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming April 2017 | Canceled due to backlog

Onirim by Asdmodee is out for the introductionary price of just 1 dollar.
It's a wonderful implementation of a wonderful solitaire.
At the moment it lacks expansions (I'm pretty sure that's why it's so cheap...price will go surely app with new expansions) but it's damn addicting.
I've read people comparing it to Solitairica and Card Thief, but maybe it's just for the level of addictiveness because it's a simpler game...I would compare it more to Card Crawl or Lost Cities for the level of immediacy it has.
It's really well done and addicting...if you like card games I recommend it.
I was curious about this. I couldnt get a sense of the gameplay from the trailer

killercow

At the moment it lacks expansions (I'm pretty sure that's why it's so cheap...price will go surely app with new expansions) but it's damn addicting.
I've read people comparing it to Solitairica and Card Thief, but maybe it's just for the level of addictiveness because it's a simpler game...I would compare it more to Card Crawl or Lost Cities for the level of immediacy it has.

For now they've said that they have "no plans" to add any of the 7 expansions.

awp69

Yeah, I was going to post about this. Really like it. Relatively simple, but great atmosphere and actually does remind me a bit of Card Thief in terms of needing ot "get out". Much different mechanics, of course, but similar feeling.

Hopefully, if it does well, they'll change their minds. I would definitely pay for them.

PittaGAF

I was curious about this. I couldnt get a sense of the gameplay from the trailer

It's pretty simple and you'll learn how to play in 2 minutes BUT there are some nuances you appreciate after a while...in this it's very similar to Card Crawl or Lost Cities.

Check this video.
https://youtu.be/I42P8JgB9_M

This would be a pity...I hope the success of the game (it's HANDS DOWN the best published by Asmodee so far and he most suited to mobile. Potion Explosion was good but some weird choices on mp hamper it) makes them change idea.

Yeah, I was going to post about this. Really like it. Relatively simple, but great atmosphere and actually does remind me a bit of Card Thief in terms of needing ot "get out". Much different mechanics, of course, but similar feeling.

Hopefully, if it does well, they'll change their minds. I would definitely pay for them.

Yeah.
I wish we could compare friends scores so I could depress myself comparing others' scores with the just TWO times I won so far :p

I'm still trying to understand when and if is useful to discard keys....something similar happened to me with Card Crawl too.
It's a great 2 minutes to go game anyway, even without expansions.

I hope it will be succeful...on Boardgamegeek they love BOTH the boardgame and now the digital app.

EDIT: I must add the price is ridiculous anyway.
I think Asmodee, as giant as it is in the boardgame space, burned itself a bit with their latest digital ports (Mysterium is a WONDERFUL app, but not a game suited to mobile imho, Potion Explosion is great but multiplayer implementation is weird,etc...) so they went super cheap with imho their best game yet on digital.

Remember Widower's Sky? Looks better than ever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw1IbNLTjDc
"Coming soon", this year
569015B23384E14B99CB17F2C10DC5F458BB9545
CCD930E16AD363E47F89C40F55B555868637D328

Tendo

Is binding of isaac getting the afterbirth and afterbirth + content? I'd love a more mobile version for when I'm at work and have some downtime but I don't want an unsupported version either.

bonesquad

Onirim is pretty cool. The game scratches a similar itch as Card Crawl. Though it has an odd quirk in that you could have screwed yourself and not know so you keep playing. I'd prefer once I do that the game tell me so I can restart.

Also, Legend of Skyfish dropped to $1. Any good? After playing Breath of the Wild a Zelda-like would ease my cravings. I might gamble that whole dollar and grab it...

Matt Frost

Also, Legend of Skyfish dropped to $1. Any good? After playing Breath of the Wild a Zelda-like would ease my cravings. I might gamble that whole dollar and grab it...

If you want something that resembles Zelda on iOS then Oceanhorn is the choice. As for Skyfish, it got stale rather quickly for me

I'm looking for a game that's sort of similar to space invaders and other top down shooter. Just looking for a simple game that lets me gets astronomical scores.

Twie

Looking for more finely tuned platformers like Bean Dreams, VVVVVV, Lost Socks, and Downwell.

Anyone got suggestions? The more obscure the better! :)

Edit: In my quest to find more- I have come across Blitz Breaker, Duke Dashington, and Super Dangerous Dungeons. They don't fit the bill completely- but they're alright if anyone is interested.

Looking for more finely tuned platformers like Bean Dreams, VVVVVV, Lost Socks, and Downwell.

Anyone got suggestions? The more obscure the better! :)

Edit: In my quest to find more- I have come across Blitz Breaker, Duke Dashington, and Super Dangerous Dungeons. They don't fit the bill completely- but they're alright if anyone is interested.

Goblin Sword - The quintessential platformer on iOS. Extremely tight controls in a nice ARPG shell.

Eggggg - A quirky platformer with controls that seem odd at first but once you get used to them it becomes a pretty decent platformer.

Cat Knight Story - Basically Super Meat Boy but with a cat instead of a block of meat.

labx

Banned
Hello guys. I'm looking for the name of a game. The premise: it is a cube and you control a knight or warrior and you have to move the cube so you can defeat your enemies.

Thanks

killercow

Skullgirls is really good. The graphics could be a bit better on iPad but the hand drawn art is gorgeous and the animations are great. It's one of the best control scheme that I've seen for a fighting game on mobile and while I'm a bit wary of the F2P elements and leveling system, so far it hasn't bothered me at all. It's missing a multiplayer component though, that'd be fun but it would have to be against characters of similar levels.

Oynox

Bought Onirim since you guys compared it Card Crawl and such. The simple gameplay really appeals to me once more, the art design is nothing special imo but does its job and is nice to look at. However it is harder than I expected. Played 3 games but no wins yet..

So after finishing The Room 2, which was insanely good, I went back and completed The Room, which was also really fucking good. What a series. Fireproof Games are truly masters of their craft. They definitely have my money for The Room 3 and the upcoming The Room Old Sins. For now I'm taking a break from the series and starting Sorcery!

Holy. Shit. My immediate impression of Sorcery! is just WOW. What stellar presentation. The writing, music, and visual style is top-notch. This is a DnD players wet-dream; literally mobile DnD in your pocket.

Here's hoping Sorcery! is consistent throughout the four installments.

Note: This is coming from someone who normally farts in the general direction of mobile gaming due to all of the bullshit. I seriously want more experiences like these on iOS.

killercow

So after finishing The Room 2, which was insanely good, I went back and completed The Room, which was also really fucking good. What a series. Fireproof Games are truly masters of their craft. They definitely have my money for The Room 3 and the upcoming The Room Old Sins. For now I'm taking a break from the series and starting Sorcery!

Holy. Shit. My immediate impression of Sorcery! is just WOW. What stellar presentation. The writing, music, and visual style is top-notch. This is a DnD players wet-dream; literally mobile DnD in your pocket.

Note: This is coming from someone who normally farts in the general direction of mobile gaming due to all of the bullshit. I seriously want more experiences like these on iOS.

Glad to hear it! And like most platforms, when you dig deep enough you'll find plenty of gems such as these and we're here to let you know when they arrive.

PittaGAF

I admit I was a bit cold on Pavilion when I first tried it.
It's incredibly gorgeous but the first screens didn't really blew me away, always been a bit cold on esoteric settings, and gameplay was a bit obtuse at first....then....all of a sudden (when you first change COMPLETELY the setting!!! O_O) it really clicked with me.
What is this? Sci-fi?
Gameplay it's MUCH improved and diverse and wow, the setting lured me in.
Did I already mentioned it's absolutely GORGEOUS?

Only thing I don't understand is if you can solve the levels but not getting all the clues about the story....sometimes I solve the level and find a way out but some parts where I can see items seems unreachable or it doesn't seem I can go back, and it's driving me nuts.

Sorcery only gets better, more open, and more complex with each game.

You should also check out 80 Days, and for more traditional text style (that also has a huge amount of RPG elements), check out the Zombie Exodus games

If you want more puzzlers, Device 6 is a must play. Part text story, part audio-visual puzzler, it's slick, stylish, and one of the best games on the platform

Sorcery only gets better, more open, and more complex with each game.

You should also check out 80 Days, and for more traditional text style (that also has a huge amount of RPG elements), check out the Zombie Exodus games

If you want more puzzlers, Device 6 is a must play. Part text story, part audio-visual puzzler, it's slick, stylish, and one of the best games on the platform

Awesome, awesome. Was hoping to get more recommendations based on my love for The Room and now Sorcery!

Got a lot of travel coming up this June which includes a 13 hour plane ride, and while I always tell myself I'll get some gaming done on my 3DS or Vita, I rarely ever feel compelled to follow through because my brain just doesn't want to invest in a Zelda or Persona during such a long slog. I'm always too burned out. But playing these games on my iPhone 7 Plus has been a real treat; I love that I can just leave them paused with the app running in the background for hours on end and get back to them without ever feeling like I missed something. With The Room I find it's often beneficial to leave it for a while and come back to it for that "aha!" moment.

With the bigger games I have on Vita/3DS I find the larger time commitment required keeps me away for longer stretches.

And as for Sorcery!, holy shit did I get put through the ringer. I got fucked up and lost all my shit fairly quickly and now I'm lucky to be scraping by. Compelling stuff. Lol

Tendo

I admit I was a bit cold on Pavilion when I first tried it.
It's incredibly gorgeous but the first screens didn't really blew me away, always been a bit cold on esoteric settings, and gameplay was a bit obtuse at first....then....all of a sudden (when you first change COMPLETELY the setting!!! O_O) it really clicked with me.
What is this? Sci-fi?
Gameplay it's MUCH improved and diverse and wow, the setting lured me in.
Did I already mentioned it's absolutely GORGEOUS?

Only thing I don't understand is if you can solve the levels but not getting all the clues about the story....sometimes I solve the level and find a way out but some parts where I can see items seems unreachable or it doesn't seem I can go back, and it's driving me nuts.

I have been looking at this one a lot lately and thanks to this I may finally pull the trigger. thanks!

Ha. Sorcery! handed me my ass. I got a game over.

Incredible. Gonna go back to the start, I suppose, since I screwed up so badly almost every step of the way.

Ha. Sorcery! handed me my ass. I got a game over.

Incredible. Gonna go back to the start, I suppose, since I screwed up so badly almost every step of the way.
I'll say this, your choices, gear, and other stuff carry over between games. It's one big saga. So keep that in mind

And ideally, I'd say roll with the punches

I'll say this, your choices, gear, and other stuff carry over between games. It's one big saga. So keep that in mind

And ideally, I'd say roll with the punches

Yeah, I definitely was doing that for my first run, but I was in such bad shape that I had absolutely no way of getting out of that particular situation. I couldn't dodge a freakin' lightning bolt, and my magic was rendered useless by the presence of some asshole who insisted on tagging along with me. I was dead no matter what.

This time I'm going for it, no rewinding.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I'd really really doubt that Apple would do such a drastic move on a X.x.x version. I'm guessing it's going to be announced at WWDC for iOS 11 this fall.

The 10.3 beta builds had popups stating 32-bit support was ending and 10.3.2 is only out for 64-bit devices at that. Whether that sticks or is pushed to 11 is of course anyone's guess.

killercow

The 10.3 beta builds had popups stating 32-bit support was ending and 10.3.2 is only out for 64-bit devices at that. Whether that sticks or is pushed to 11 is of course anyone's guess.

iOS 10.3.2 Beta 2 is now compatible with 32-bit devices and that also was the case (weirdly) for iOS 10.3 for which 32 bit compatibility came late. It won't be the case before iOS 11 that would be insane and stupid in my opinion. Better to let everyone know at WWDC and prepare accordingly (after the warning that was iOS 10.3.x).

PittaGAF

Just completed Pavilion.
I really liked it (some really nasty puzzles mid game) and it is absolutely gorgeous (with great sounds and music too).

Only thing that left me a bit perplexed is that it's just the first chapter but more importantly I still have absolutely no clue about the story or the setting.

Anyway..isometric graphics rules.
For the younger people here...the graphics impact is the same that delighted older people eyes back in the days when the Infinity Engine games were published, starting with Baldur's Gate.
Now those games graphics may seem 'average' but back in the days was Pavilion grade gorgeous.

Did I mentioned Pavilion is gorgeous?

And speaking of glorious isometric graphic....Stasis for iPad is in testing right now, dev told me this morning.

HotHamBoy

I'm gonna cross-post this:

Can I suggest some great Hearthstone Alternatives?

3051808-trailer_elderscrollslegends_gameplay_20160421.jpg

krosmaga_0e2cb039.jpg

aurora_logo_1200x630.jpg

ogp.jpg

These are the CCG games I've been playing recently.

Elder Scrolls Legends and Shadowverse are variations on the Hearthstone formula. Krosmaga and Faeria are much more unique and do their own thing. They are all fairly generous compared to HS.

I'm especially fond of Krosmaga and its fun world and lane battling. If you create an account on the website you can enter these codes to get some free card packs: GOKROSMAGA and KROSMAKNA

Krosmaga-review-f2p-6.jpg

Faeria is a goddamn gorgeous looking game and the boardgame aspects are really cool. Use coupon code FaeriaKripp to get 4 free chests. Add my username HotHamBoy as your recruiter and you will get two more free chests and we will both receive goodies when the other gets stuff.

faeria-sample.jpg

Elder Scrolls Legends also places an emphasis on the strategy of placement, though not quite as much as those two.

lanes-and-lane-effects.jpg

Shadowverse has been around for awhile but I thought I'd still mention it. It is a little too anime for me and I personally find the app gawdy, busy and often ugly. But it has some deep and interesting mechanics and it's the most generous of all. A new player gets 40 packs of 10 cards across 4 sets right away and then some.

ANYQHUKhAe_VsElrVhqYehCcgiXSQ2XTZAoM3SsncaJk186FHK16HFBHSj4fbGNnlg=h900

PittaGAF

I enjoy that game too but the F2P trappings are cruel. It also has a lot of presence already.

TBH I'm playing almost daily Clash Royale since day 1 and I never spent a cent, and I'm still enjoying it a lot.
The matchmaking is what makes it awesome imho...you are almost always guaranteed a chance of victory in every match...and if you are put for some reason against stronger opponents (stronger=much better deck than yours) next games you are guaranteed to fight against weaker ones, so it balances out.
Maybe it'd just because I was there day one and my deck grew with the game, not sure what's in store for someone who starts playing it today tough.
And this is probably valid for every CCG; thank you very much for your recap on the state of art CCGs out there.

I take the chance to add one you forgot tough...actually...THE one, where the genre started.
Magic Duels.

DISCLAIMER: I played Magic LONG ago, over 20 years ago actually (I still have my original mint deck, valued apparently over 200 euros just for historic reasons), when the only ones who played Magic were nerds in basements while the cool guys went to college parties.
Then things became too expensive and big so I dropped it.
With the iPad I returned to card games...and of course Magic was the first I got.
The first apps where terribad, expensive and TOO MANY CARDS I couldn't even START to make a deck...too choices and too much money involved.
So I dropped it again, tried other games...fell in love with deck building games (Ascension and all) that don't have the CCGs money pit problem.
Of course I played Hearthstone a lot but then things became too competitive there too, too many cards, I didn't have fun anymore.

So.......last month I downloaded the new Magic app to teach my son how to play Magic.
Not only the app is very well done, it's universal and you can actually play on iPhone....what really blew me away was the sheer free single player content.
You can play for months without even having to build a deck (more on this later).
I highly recommend it (especially on iPad), the game is imho still the absolute king.
It's WAY less accessible at first than, let's say, Hearthstone, but strategy wise is incredibile deeper.
The single player campaigns are awesome not only to teach you the basic game, but then all the nuances and tricks, the various type of decks, introducing things slowly but constantly.
All are fixed decks, so you don't have to climb that wall if you don't want to.
Also, the app is really generous in giving you money to spend on boosters (I guess they know it's only to lure people to the real life game).
Then you can build your deck and play against 3 different AI and online.
The deck builder is one of the best I ever seen...it's a perfect starting point with a ton of archetypes and different fighting styles.

I'm immensely enjoying the game on digital, I really recommend it and I felt silly to neglect it when it was out, due to the very bad previous digital incarnations.

It's free of course, and the single player campaigns (there are 7) will keep you busy for a long while....after that you can really say you know Magic the Gathering.

Bonus...the art in the game is still unparalleled imho.
UI is a bit low res but the cards are absolutely fantastic.

Diggler

I'm gonna cross-post this:
I'm especially fond of Krosmaga and its fun world and lane battling. If you create an account on the website you can enter these codes to get some free card packs: GOKROSMAGA and KROSMAKNA

Are you able to login to Krosmaga okay? I created an account and it works fine on the web site, but the app itself just fails login every time.

Pachimari

Think I'm gonna get it for PC. Seriously that upcoming iOS 11 update is bullshit, breaking so many 32-bit games. I can't support that. I've bought more than 300 games for my catalogue to get around to them eventually, but if I update to iOS 11 - which I won't! - I won't get to play many of those games I've paid for.

Ocho

Think I'm gonna get it for PC. Seriously that upcoming iOS 11 update is bullshit, breaking so many 32-bit games. I can't support that. I've bought more than 300 games for my catalogue to get around to them eventually, but if I update to iOS 11 - which I won't! - I won't get to play many of those games I've paid for.

Mistakes were made.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
TBH I'm playing almost daily Clash Royale since day 1 and I never spent a cent, and I'm still enjoying it a lot.
The matchmaking is what makes it awesome imho...you are almost always guaranteed a chance of victory in every match...and if you are put for some reason against stronger opponents (stronger=much better deck than yours) next games you are guaranteed to fight against weaker ones, so it balances out.
Maybe it'd just because I was there day one and my deck grew with the game, not sure what's in store for someone who starts playing it today tough.
And this is probably valid for every CCG; thank you very much for your recap on the state of art CCGs out there.

I've been playing from day 1 too, though I've spent probably around US$120 or so. I think it is the only F2P game I ever spent money on.

I think that is huge value for money though as I have spent literally hundreds of hours on the game, with between 30 minutes to 2 hours of play every day since launch. Think the only real gaps in play I've had are when I've been stuck on long haul flights.

Such an amazing game. The opportunity and pressure is there to monetize, but it isn't necessary. I actually got to the final arena (4000 trophies at the time?) without spending anything and as a level 9. The key is getting yourself into an active clan with generous donations and which is proactive at getting the clan challenge chests to accelerate your leveling.

Anyone take the plunge on Planescape? Torn on which platform to get it on
As with Baldurs Gate, it plays very well on touch and the text (at least on iPad) is the right size to be readable. The new UI is great for touchscreen. The only minor issue is tapping on people to talk; it's obvious not as precise as a mouse

Top Bottom